Masterchef Australia – Hayden Wins Another Immunity Pin

OK so the Matt Preston Facebook message where he said Hayden got two immunity pins was a furphy. See post on that here. He said on twitter tonight: @dashleighdee It wasn’t a spoiler but an error corrected 1hr after it was posted on FB.! Some media & twits assumed it was a spoiler.

I am presuming I am the twit.

Hayden was up against Vincent Gaden of Pastisse, which will be packed tomorrow as those cakes looked fantastic. Is he the Zumbo of 2011?

However the twist as we know is they were having to cook a pork roast not pastry.  This must have been in homage to celebrity guest judge Jeremy Strode, who was very serious the entire episode.

Vincent had not cooked roast pork before, it is all macaroons and croissants in his household.

Hayden did prep his piece of meat better than Vincent who took the crackling off and chucked it all in the oven.

Vincent Gaden presentation was deemed to be not restaurant quality by the judges. And they realised he must have quickly pan fried his pork as it was undercooked. Matt Preston liked the pork, but was concerned about the cut of the vegetables.

Hayden’s presentation was fantastic. He servied it up on the platter.

However part of Hayden’s pork was too rare and George got that piece which was inedible.

Matt scored Vincent’s dish a 7, Jeremy scored it a 7, and George scored it a 7 for a total of 21.

Jeremy scored Hayden’s a 7, Matt scored it an 8, and George a 4 for a total of 19.

So Hayden still only has one immunity pin. If his pork had been cooked he would have got two.

1 Paul { 06.22.11 at 1:23 pm }

It’s very easy to make a mistake on the interwebs.

Hell, all we need to do is regurgitate some of the comments from yesterday proclaiming how disgusted they were that Hayden had been given a 2nd immunity pin and that it was all set up for him to win.

So, we have certain people outraged yesterday that it was set up for Hayden to win and now these same people are outraged that he didn’t get to win !!!!!!

Maybe some people just like being outraged…….

2 brain dead dave { 06.22.11 at 1:26 pm }

Being one of the twits that believed Jowlsy’s tweet, thought it was a done deal and watched with the mute on before reading RR’s recap. It’s about twenty two minutes of show ,including the mindless recappings and the rest is ads. Filthy lucre.
I enjoyed seeing the guest chef knock that piece of crackling up into the peanut gallery.

3 seepi { 06.22.11 at 1:54 pm }

I took it as truth when he posted that. But in hindsight I could imagine it being meant as a hypothetical.

‘along the lines of :

So, you are walking along a path one day, you see a bear on one path, a bunyip on the other, what do you do?’

4 Izobel2 { 06.22.11 at 2:00 pm }

@BDD, With your great wit I thought you must b in your 30’s! Shame on me too!!

5 Reality Raver { 06.22.11 at 2:10 pm }

BDD – you have revealed a bit about yourself. Yippee! I was in the ball park with your age due to cultural references.

Izobel2 – LOL you better be careful with the 30’s comment a lot of my readers are no longer in that age bracket. But hopefully can still remember them.

6 wallah { 06.22.11 at 2:20 pm }

@ Cecilia, that’s what I said to her, then was promptly told to shove it hahahaha. She went on to explain that if she went to the lengths of getting somebody in to do something, she’d want that person fully qualified to do something as opposed to having a basic knowledge. And not attempt to make a fool of them on national tv.

7 Cecilia { 06.22.11 at 5:27 pm }

@Wallah… ahh, now I’m beginning to understand where she’s coming from… though I guess they’re just trying to mix the format up a bit. I mean, the chef was out of his forte, but he was a chef after all, and plus, Hayden got no other advantage. He didn’t have an extra recipe OR a time advantage… so I still declare Danielle’s celebrity chef challenge to be the most biased against the guest chef ever.

And I don’t understand the uproar about Matt P supposedly lying on his facebook status… I mean, I was pleasantly surprised when Hayden didn’t win, because of the spoiler, and was quite happy, because it did actually provide me with a bit of shock and anticipation when watching the show (thinking, no… but Hayden’s got to win, it’s been spoilt! … but dude, his pork was raw and George is scoring..XD)
In any case, it didn’t make me angry about it, just slightly amused.

Maybe I’m used to it, US tv show runners hand out dummy spoilers all the time to lead their audience on… it makes it all the more suspenseful because you never really know which spoilers you can trust… :) At the end of the day, when I watch TV, I don’t want to know everything before it happens, and surprises are always a good thing!

8 PollyB { 06.22.11 at 5:29 pm }

Izobel2 – Do you not think the more years spent on earth the more knowledge you gain? Or are you expecting your own brain to stop working and all your knowledge and wit to disappear on your 39th birthday? I’m sure you are aware of that old adage – I think therefore I am. Best be careful!

9 PollyB { 06.22.11 at 5:34 pm }

Paul to @Rosie –
No they have not clearly done it.
You think they have clearly done it. And thats your prerogative.
From me to you Paul
Yes they have clearly done it.
You think they have not clearly done it. And thats your prerogative.

I had to!

10 brain dead dave { 06.22.11 at 5:54 pm }

I’ll take it as a compliment thanks, Izobel2.

I’m off to watch Hot Seat.

11 EH { 06.22.11 at 5:59 pm }

Matt P posted the faux comment on monday, the day ‘The Block’ premiered. Did he do that so everyone was talking about masterchef instead the block? The timing is suss.

12 Hanan { 06.22.11 at 6:03 pm }

I hate MASTERCHEF BOO YOU MATT PRESTON

13 brain dead dave { 06.22.11 at 6:06 pm }

Jowlsy’s had a bad week ,what with that checkered whale sling he was donning last night.

14 SaintsDeano { 06.22.11 at 6:07 pm }

I think they should have a rule: only able to hold one immunity pin. I would also like to see some fairness in the immunity challenges. Kate was never going to beat a chef doing his signature dish. Even if she had 2 weeks headstart. All challenges should involve a chef out of his comfort zone.

15 Oshada { 06.22.11 at 6:17 pm }

This just makes the Immunity pin winners from Seasons 1 and 2 seem even better IMO!

16 dmc { 06.22.11 at 6:59 pm }

I was thinking about why I am not really enjoying this season and I agree with the many posters who are pointing to the quality of the cooking. Now, of course we don’t taste the dishes, but at times over the past two seasons I’ve seen contestants cook things and thought, ‘I’d like to make that’, or they’ve inspired me. I can’t think of any moments at all like that this year. For me, this element of the show has disappeared completely.

17 JaniceG { 06.22.11 at 7:43 pm }

@SaintsDeano I don’t think all challenges should involve chefs out of their comfort zone. I think you can still let a pastry chef do pastry by providing a dish that neither the contestant nor the chef has seen before and giving the contestant a head start and/or a recipe. However, I see no sense in making a pastry chef cook a savoury dish or vice versa — why bring that particular chef on at all in that case?

18 Izobel2 { 06.22.11 at 9:15 pm }

Thanks BDD, as that is how it was supposed to read! As per my comments in the past, I think u r great! And a fellow SA reader too!