Masterchef Australia – Danielle Is Eliminated

Can they give the eliminated contestant Visine before their to camera pieces? From the get go it was obvious Danielle was the one gone because her eyes looked so red.

Tonight Matthew Kemp from Balzac brought in a duck a l’orange and Ellie, Danielle and Peter had 60 minutes to bring their own personal spin on the dish.

I really liked Matthew, he was articulate and not afraid to say what he thought.

Dani who again got a lot of camera time, with her tongue in cheek said “Duck a l’orange had its hey day in the ’70’s and ’80’s a bit like Peter.”

Danielle just had a shocker. She needed to take the hint from Gary Mehigan when after explaining her cold pasta duck salad idea he did not look impressed. Well pasta salad emerged in the  ’70’s so I suppose that is the classic twist on the dish, going for the same era.

She did try and make her own pasta, and she could not get it together and had to start it again.  The same thing happen with her orange sauce she burnt the first batch.

Ellie showing far more intelligence and changed her idea of doing duck three ways after talking to the judges. She dropped it down to doing one dish which was asian inspired.

Ellie also burnt her hand on the pan handle, which is not a good advertisement for the pans until they clarified it later in the episode that she had pulled it out of the oven.

She also got helped by the peanut gallery when she was told not to put oil in her  frypan when cooking duck.

However this help was not there for Danielle to point out to her that she had not put her candied orange sauce on her pasta salad.

Ellie was first to be  made schezuan duck with an asian inspired salad.

She was pretty clever by saying her problem is having too many ideas but not clarity of thought. It was a great way of talking herself up.

Matthew Kemp said “I love that duck”, Matt Preston said “I love the flavour… and it is fine version that is asian of the traditional dish.”

Danielle’s Duck a l’orange pasta stack looked better then I thought it was going to. Danielle went before the judges and did the exact opposite to Ellie, she outlined everywhere she had stuffed up with the dish.

“Perfectly cooked duck breast” said Gary Mehigan, but Matt Preston said “Pity the candied orange didn’t get on the dish”.

Peter cooked Crispy Duck Breast with braised Garlic Witlof. He was criticised for using the three main flavours of Matthew’s dish. But it looked different and tasted different.

Gary was having some sort of short term memory loss when he said “this is country cooking and this is what Peter is all about”. Peter landed in the pressure test tonight because his food was too city for the country folks voting on last night’s episode.

“That jus gras has got a lot of flavour,” said Matt Preston. But he thought he did not take the dish far enough.

I loved the way all three judges had to say “jus gras” just to let the viewer know exactly what it was.

Before giving the verdict they judges had to ask the usual questions.

To Peter they asked “If you leave today what do you go back to?” Peter responded  “I go back to a certain amount of uncertainty. I left to job to be here.” But he did say he is transitioning to a new life. He seemed genuine in what he was saying.

No surprise when Danielle was eliminated.

She is doing a part-time apprenticeship, and she is soon to do work experience with Zumbo. So maybe she will stay in the food industry.

Did anyone notice she didn’t sit next to her husband but her father when she was home?

1 Jo { 06.27.11 at 9:56 pm }

How long after the challenge do they film the cutaways? I remember reading somewhere that it was a day or two after, but is it different for the eliminated contestant? Or is it straight after for all of them? The cutaways at the mine episode were all at the mine, so I assume they were done on the day…

I remember being surprised at Rachel’s elimination because she was still smiling in her camera pieces.

2 littlepetal { 06.27.11 at 10:07 pm }

It was obvious that Danielle was going to go today. There was hardly any talk to the camera by Peter and Ellie was very very happy chatting away.

I thought I saw Ellie burnt her hand by touching the handle of the pan that was on the stove and not pulling the pan out of the oven.

For a moment I thought George is going to give Ellie a hug or cuddle when the chef said he will hug his apprentice if they can produce the dish that Ellie cooked. I thought would take the opportunity to hug Ellie again.

Also read in the TV Week magazines the thoughts of the judges regarding who has what it take to the winner. Of course for George he think Ellie has a chance. Among the 3 judges their choices are Hayden, Kate or Michael. Peter and Billy could be the dark horses and of course Ellie!

3 PollyB { 06.27.11 at 10:40 pm }

I’d hate to be George’s pregnant partner watching this. He can’t get up and hug Ellie from the judges table so it’s all ogle eyes and suggestive smiles. Vile.

4 Cue the music { 06.27.11 at 11:25 pm }

Very interesting and somewhat unfair Again with the gallery – no one tld Danielle that her sauce was burning nor that she forgot to put her second one on the plate! Maybe she wasn’t too popular in the house?

5 littlepetal { 06.27.11 at 11:33 pm }

Yes, I noticed that too. Peanut gallery were given advice to Peter to steam another piece of duck just in case the first one is overcook. Gave advice to Ellie but no one bother to tell Danielle about her sauce. With the sauce she may have been safe as I think her dish was quite pretty.

After saying that, I am glad Peter is still around and she got eliminated.

6 Pollywaffle { 06.27.11 at 11:42 pm }

Danielle was a week pasta use by date

7 Chunks { 06.28.11 at 12:39 am }

This year is all about the cooking and who can’t do it.

8 Thomas { 06.28.11 at 5:20 am }

She might have received advice but they might have edited out, or she might have asked that no peanut gallery tips. I think it would be nerve wracking for some.

9 librarygirl { 06.28.11 at 7:35 am }

I love Peter. So glad he’s still there. I think he and Billy and Hayden are my top 3.

10 EH { 06.28.11 at 9:01 am }

I really like Peter. He seems to have a gentle soul. I reckon tonight episode will be hilarious with Billy taking on a country home baker. Think the judge will respect the senior citizen and not let her walk away a loser. Too bad, it may mean Billy will not stand a chance to win the pin.

11 Joseph Skyrim { 06.28.11 at 9:20 am }

First time I think I’ve seen one of the MC drivers, as well as one of the camera men in the background. I also did like the guest judge – very straightforward and very easy to read facial expressions (mainly the *that’s a bad idea* face). As a bonus the two people I wanted to get through made it so… woohoo! 😀

As an aside, I only recently watched a very old episode of Food Safari I think and who should I see but George (with hair)!!! Must admit I prefer his shaved head look. ^_^

12 AnnyB { 06.28.11 at 9:22 am }

About Ellie’s burned hand…..I was amazed that it wasn ‘t it attended to immediately. As her hand was fairly well-bandaged at the end of the show it surely needed attention straight away, and under the OH&S rules it should have been. In the Food Court Challenge when Alana (?) burned her hand the medic was on hand (no pun intended) for several minutes. Is it now Ellie the Stoic?

13 Thomas { 06.28.11 at 9:23 am }

EH > It’s a blind taste test anyway but I think Billy won’t be able to beat the old lady.

14 Culinary Boner { 06.28.11 at 9:25 am }

Based on Danielle’s dish I now proclaim her MCA’s first official ‘Queen of the Micro-Herbs’. This garnish trick restaurants play on customers is cynical tactic to dress up, bulk out and fancify ordinary dishes. It was her main ingredient FFS. Oh, apart from the flabby, cold pasta rounds. You could have hidden a village of Smurfs under it.

My cat would have given me the death stare if given the measly amount of duck she’d hidden under them ‘erbs. First time in ages I’ve felt sorry for the judges. Well, all except George.

15 auds { 06.28.11 at 9:32 am }

Peter is quickly becoming my other favourite (after Kumar) such a sweetie. I hope he does well whatever he ends up doing.

I would love to know why the peanut gallery didnt give Danielle any advise….. maybe she did ask them to refrain.

All in all a good result. While I think Ellie hasnt got a chance of winning – there is something likeable about her and I am happy to watch her keep on going.

16 smauge { 06.28.11 at 9:39 am }

I think if Ellie cries from being in the bottom three again it should be cause for instant disqualification.

17 EH { 06.28.11 at 9:40 am }

@ Thomas: Do you seriously think it’s blind tasting and not rigged? :p I doubt so.

18 Pollywaffle { 06.28.11 at 9:59 am }

George re Ellie’s food
” when I look at a dish like that Im salivating”
Yeah we know, get a roux-m

19 Paul { 06.28.11 at 10:26 am }

AnnyB,
Most burns don’t require bandaging straight away – in fact 9 times out of 10 its better to let it breath. The bandage only protects the ‘burn’ from infections.

20 Fides { 06.28.11 at 10:55 am }

What was it with the judges pulling a face with Danielle’s cold pasta idea? Don’t they eat the dishes cold anyway? I’d rather eat a cold pasta dish that’s meant to be cold, than a hot pasta dish gone cold.

I agree with everyone’s sentiments – yay for Peter. He’s the one whose “journey” I’m actually interested in.

So why didn’t the peanut gallery offer Danielle assistance? My theory is that in MC bizarro-world she was considered a strong cook or in judgespeak, a real contenda (much like Arena and Shannon!) so the others wanted her dumped from the comp asap. Nah, not really serious about this theory – reckon they just didn’t like her. But good on her for getting an apprenticeship, albeit part time. How many other eliminated contestants have bothered to do that?

21 Thomas { 06.28.11 at 11:17 am }

EH> Why bother rigging it? People watch the show anyway, and with only one immunity pin given out so far I’m sure they wish they could hand out more of them.

22 littlepetal { 06.28.11 at 11:55 am }

Fides – I thought Shannon is doing an apprenticeship at the moment. Whether she last the distance or not is another story. Remember Jay also did some apprenticeship and many of the other contestants did too. Chelsea is working in a restaurant which is also some form of apprenticeship.

Having short stint in some restaurants is not enough if she is serious about being a chef. She needs to bite the bullet and do a full time apprenticeship.

23 Paul { 06.28.11 at 12:03 pm }

You don’t necessarily have to do an apprenticeship to own a cafe or restaurant.

I think I remember reading that Heston did one week’s work experience before going off and opening his own place !!!!!

24 Rosie { 06.28.11 at 2:04 pm }

Paul, you don’t simply bandage burns to prevent infection. In fact, if a burn is closed – as Ellie’s appeared to be – bandaging is not even necessary. But you do need to apply some sort of cream that takes the sting out of the burn, as well as helps the healing. And the sooner that is done, the better. The bandage then protects the whole thing.

Ellie didn’t want to take the time for the nurse or paramedic to attend to her. I’m as surprised as AnnyB that they didn’t simply insist on treating her burn.

Rosie, medical professional.

25 littlepetal { 06.28.11 at 2:17 pm }

Yes, you don’t even need to be a chef to own a cafe or restaurant. Anyone with spare cash can do that. With money you can pay for someone to do the cooking. But if you want to do your own cooking, it is a good idea to learn the trade. Not everyone is as talented at Heston. Danielle cooking is not that great and you need much more than cooking to have a successful cafe or restaurant.

26 kingfisher { 06.28.11 at 2:22 pm }

anyone notice when ellie was doing her talking piece, her right hand did not look burnt we paused and slowed it down . plus those bloody product placements again , ellie has her hand wrapped in matt preston’s paper towels . glad peter got through .pretty bloody obvious danielle ,lost her hair was a mess ,her eyes were red and yet peter and ellie are laughing their heads off . MC you think i’m stupid mate .

27 brain dead dave { 06.28.11 at 2:33 pm }

As a viewer I felt burned by last night’s episode,too.

I’ll always remember Danielle for “cooking from the scalp” and leaving a piece of hair in groping George’s dish.

Apprenticeship …the new buzzword for vanquished Ma$terchef contestants. A friend who’s a chef said it took him four years. I can’t even print what he thinks of Ma$terchef or myself for watching it.

28 Sooty { 06.28.11 at 2:47 pm }

Well, I am always burning myself cooking and the old advice and the most recent I could find last time I did it also says to place the burnt appendage under cold running water for approximately ten minutes. So it would have been precipitous to race over and rub some cream on her burn when there was only a few minutes of challenge time left and she was still intermittently sticking it under the tap. I think they did the huge bandage after to signal to viewers ‘we’ve taken care of baby ellie!’ mind you there’s also some rule of the burn size, even with surface scalds, requiring treatment and it may have covered a larger part of her hand being a grab-burn.

I really like Danielle but she seemed a bit sulky and aggro under the surface once she’d won the chance to fight for an immunity pin some weeks back, so kind of glad to see her go.

29 Fides { 06.28.11 at 3:13 pm }

Thanks littlepetal, I forgot about Shannon. I always thought Chelsea got work front of house, not so much in the kitchen. What I was considering was that in 2.5 seasons worth of MC, there haven’t been many to go down a traditional training pathway. There’s been a few to open their own restaurants, start their own catering companies or just get informal work experience (or work short term for George) but not many seem to have pursued further long term training.

30 Paul { 06.28.11 at 3:21 pm }

Fides,
I think you have to appreciate how difficult it would be for them to go and do an apprenticeship.

Most are older and are used to earning a significantly higher income to that of an apprentice’s wage. Their whole lifestyle would be based around earning a certain amount of money – definitely not apprentice’s wages.

Then you have the celebrity factor. It would be extremely hard for anyone to go from being seen nightly by 2 million people to working as an apprentice. I know that Callum tried for a while but you can only imagine how painful it would be for the other chefs to have members of the public constantly wanting the ‘celebrity’.

And to be honest, why even do an apprenticeship?

Its not a legal pre-requisite to have done one and most of them are aiming for simple little cafes to begin with anyway.

31 AnnyB { 06.28.11 at 3:41 pm }

I believe that Neil Perry was not an apprentice but had done a hairdressing apprenticeship, but he would be the exception.

32 Pollywaffle { 06.28.11 at 3:45 pm }

yep, the bloke ponytail was never going to go massmarket

33 Pollywaffle { 06.28.11 at 3:47 pm }

@BDD could Danielle combine her 2 passions – pasta and her wandering hairy locks and launch a new ‘Angel Hair’ range?

34 auds { 06.28.11 at 3:56 pm }

LMAO Pollywaffle………

35 brain dead dave { 06.28.11 at 4:46 pm }

Yeah Pollywaffle, Danielle could do Pasta Vermincelli…very popular in the bush at the moment ,what with the mouse plague et al. The hero of the dish is the generous serving of crunchy mouse turds that have caramelized with the other alaments.

I haven’t seen Marion’s or Jimmy’s stuff out there, but Jimmy was on KAK last week doing a chicken tandoori ,of course.

36 librarygirl { 06.28.11 at 5:02 pm }

BD dave – finally saw Marion’s stuff in my local IGA (foodworks).
I don’t shop at the Evil Two any more so don’t know if they stock it.

37 brain dead dave { 06.28.11 at 6:24 pm }

Thanks librarygirl. I’ll look out for it, it’ll probably be next to the rat poison.

Marion’s sauces will be going up against Maggie Beer’s range here in SA.

38 JaniceG { 06.28.11 at 6:25 pm }

Add me to the list of people glad Peter made it through, especially since Danielle should have been gone when Craig fell on his sword. As for the interviews, could it be possible that they do some of them while they’re sitting around waiting for the judges to taste the dishes, and that’s why you can’t always tell their mood?

Regarding tomorrow night, have to hope that the CWA woman cleans Billy’s clock just because…

As for apprenticeships, I’ve said before that I don’t think anyone under age 25 should be eligible for the competition. If you’re under 25 and food is your dream career, then you should be able to make it happen – they just want a shortcut and the glory that comes with the competition.

39 littlepetal { 06.28.11 at 6:58 pm }

Agree with you totally, JaniceG. Also why can’t the winner be someone who just love to cook and can cook? They don’t need to have a dream to open up a cafe or work in the restaurants. They can be some home cooks who just love to cook!!

40 Crabtech { 06.29.11 at 7:30 am }

Totally agree with you littlepetal. It’s great exposure for them though if they want to start a catering business which is the path a few of them have taken.
But talking of those who opened restaurants, I wonder how the ex navy man from season 1 is doing with his restaurant.

41 Fides { 06.29.11 at 12:54 pm }

I’d be interested to see if Ellie tries to get an apprenticeship. Early on she said her food dream was to own a deli, now she says she wants to be a chef. Perhaps Geo offer her a culinary scholarship – just so he still gets to see his little cherub (his words!)

42 sourkraut { 06.29.11 at 1:50 pm }

The biggest larf of the day went to piggy jowls for claiming duck l’orange was a joint BRITISH/french invention. Yeah like their other culinary masterpiece … the toad in the hole

43 sourkraut { 06.29.11 at 1:57 pm }

Boner @ 14
Youre finally getting the picture?