The Block – The Houses Are Derelict

Friday’s night episode was to competing to be able to choose which house to renovate, the kicker was you could only pick from the outside facade.

So the advantage Katrina and Amie had had by winning the door unlocking challenge was not that great as it sounded like at the time.

Tonight the teams got to go into the houses, and they were derelict. It looked like it was going to be Survivor mixed in with The Block. There were holes in the walls, and no bathrooms or kitchens or running water.

I did laugh when Tania said “there is lots of light” that is because there were no walls.

There may have been holes in the walls, and no toilets, however they did all have a double door stainless steel fridges in their houses.

To be honest not a lot of rooms, so part of the renovations must be extensions. Particularly for Jenna and Josh.

Each house had it’s advantages and disadvantages. I do think Jenna and Josh got a good one with the double frontage.

This episode also revealed all the sponsors. It was all laid out at the back of the houses. All teams got $75,000 in vouchers. Also the toilet and shower amentities were revealed. I didn’t get the point of making the toilets look grotty, as they were brought in rather then being an original part of the building.

Polly and Waz keep on talking how they are the team with the least renovating experience, though Polly thinks her experience with flat packs and allen keys might help. They call in a builder to help them. This confused me as their appeared to be builders everywhere. Did they want independent advice?

Katrina and Amie seemed to be surrounded by builders giving advice. Amie was a bit crestfallen when they were talked into removing the fireplace when it was one of the reasons she picked the house.

They had restrictions on what they could do over the weekend, but  on Monday they could kick off at 7.00am. One thing I do like about this year is they appear not to make the contestants work, so it is all about the renovation.

Also another change to the format is challenges and the first one will be tomorrow night. I am liking The Block’s new formula it is much pacier then last year, also the contestants are all likeable at this stage. Normally I like one villain but I am not sure whether this cast will produce one.

1 PollyB { 06.28.11 at 7:11 am }

I caught an episode of the original on Foxtel recently. I couldn’t watch Kylie & Paul, so arrogant. and Amity & her husband. These contestants come across well. I’m liking it so far, however, Shelly Craft has now entered the fray so we’ll see.

2 Maz { 06.28.11 at 8:33 am }

Liking The Block much better than Masterchef at the moment.
Though think the opportunity to change houses (with the masterkey challenge) is a bit stupid.

3 AJ { 06.28.11 at 8:58 am }

I’m not a huge fan of the focus on everything apart from the renovations. I think I’ll be skipping tonight’s episode with the rather foolish looking scavenger hunt for the right to (once again) pick a house.

I’m also confused about what is happening with the houses. So, Channel 9 have hired builders to complete the extensions? But the participants need to hire builders to assist with the existing rooms? Or do the participants need to work from existing council-approved plans with their own builders to finalise the extensions? I may have missed it, but they don’t appear to have been very clear about what is going on with the renovations and that is the primary reason I watch the show – not the dull “pick a random key to open locked doors” style challenges.

4 Wurstsemmel { 06.28.11 at 9:52 am }

Still hanging in there even though we got ‘crafted’ last night and not keen on the silly challenges that can see someone change house.

Verdict is still out, it does seem better than last year. In any case, it beats Masterchef easily.

5 Miss Piggy (MelbaToast) { 06.28.11 at 10:42 am }

I really like the idea of houses over an apartment block this year and LOVE that it is in Melbourne. However I turned the channel when Shelly Craft appeared to bang on about some silly challenge – why can’t the show just be about renovating. There is enough drama provided with the derilict state of the houses – poxy challenges are just a distraction IMO.

6 Rhu { 06.28.11 at 11:41 am }

I got the impression that toilets and showers had been used by squatters or vagrants since installed?

7 AngelSN86 { 06.28.11 at 2:35 pm }

There is no ‘villain’ yet but some of the previews showed some tension happening between teams later in the season but it wasn’t clear who was involved, what happened or whether the same team caused all of the drama or if multiple teams upset other teams at different times. I vaguely remember a soundbite with Jenna and Josh saying something about we’re gunna take everything off them or something. But yeah, normally by now there’s someone that most people will not like. I hated Amity during her season.

When they first showed the toilet/shower block, my first comment to my partner was “Is that even sanitary? Would that meet OH&S standards?” Coz if you’re getting naked in there, you don’t want to catch weird diseases and stuff.

I wasn’t that fussed about the challenge, but it does seem like a big prize for a challenge that is essentially about luck. But I suppose luck dictated the challenge that determined how they first chose the houses, so I guess its fair-ish. The previews showed Jenna and Josh in trouble, not sure if its Masterchef-style misdirection though. They also showed a specific pair nodding their head right after Scott asked if the winners had made their decision, but surely the editors would not be that dumb, would they?

8 seepi { 06.28.11 at 10:04 pm }

man..the block has now jumped the whale.

I liked the terraces, love that itis in melbourne, liked the couples. I didn’t even mind the first week of decorating empty room s- would’ve preferred them doing rooms in an actual house tho, and then putting the house to use.

BUT I watch the block to imagine myself doing the reno.

So I don’t like the level of dereliction in the properties. I want to imagine I bought an old house and did it up, not an empty shell. They clearly bashed off the back of these houses and removed the bathrooms – why???

And I really don’t like the silly challenge/house swap.

I want to imagine myself renovating one old house, not rebuilding one from the ground and then swapping it with my nxt door neighbour.

9 nittywitty { 06.29.11 at 11:09 am }

Are this series couples supposed to be holding down full time jobs as in past series? Whether they are or not- getting a room completed in a week (planning, ordering, buying, getting tradies to come in that day etc etc etc) is just not possible at the best of times let alone when you are doing take after take for filming including the challenges. Of course Channel 9 cleaned the toilet block and who knows what else they help with. Anyway I am so glad I can record the eps and FF past all the stupid bits that have no renovating content.

10 PollyB { 06.30.11 at 7:28 am }

What’s with Aimee hating the foreman. Geez, regs are regs. Haven’t they renovated heaps before? And taking the line that he was being rude and intimidating because she is female. She’s on a building site FFS. And, ‘it’s not my fault’ regarding the whole problem. Ignorance is no form of defence. Does she want special treatment cos she is a female? Pfft, grow up.

11 Kacy4 { 06.30.11 at 11:41 am }

I absolutely love AMIE & KATRINA.
Real Aussie Mums & Women. Adore them.
PollyB-it was probably more to do with lack of sleep & exhaustion than playing the “Female” card.
I love them.
I love the bloke with the older of the blonde girls too.
The tradie, he seems a good sort.
Anyway loving the block-Bigtime.

12 seepi { 07.01.11 at 10:08 am }

I think it is a bit wierd that they are using terraces for the old and cute factor, and yet they are busily ripping out all the cornices and ceiling roses and old windows with mouldings etc, and putting in stegbar modern frame left right nad centre.

They may as well do a show on cutting off the facade of a terrace and stickngn it onto a new house….

13 Nadia { 07.18.11 at 12:16 pm }

I just want to see some renovations going on not the silly challenges that are happening the whole idea of the show is to to renovate a house and see the finished product …not to see the silly games too much games and not enough work been seen we want to see work not play