Masterchef Australia – The Catering Challenge

After three seasons of Masterchef Australia, I think could write a Phd in how the show is edited. As about 10 minutes in I had guessed correctly who the winning team was going to be. As it is all about the drama they show one of the teams to be sooo chaotic they couldn’t possibly win, however they rise up to clinch the prize.

The teams were divided into the people that slept upstairs and the ones that slept downstairs in the Masterchef house. It was essentially boys against the girls, apart from Mat who was on the girls team.

It was a the catering challenge, with two different clients.

Captain for the blue team was Peter who was thought to be the best person for the role as he had worked in the corporate world.

Their lunch was at  Allens Arthur Robinson law firm  and he was told they had to be out by 2.00pm and it should be a light lunch.  So I don’t get why they decided to make beef cheeks and a chocolate tart. Neither of which were light. Peter had thought if they gave them small portions this would get around the heaviness of the dishes.

In fact no one appeared to eat the tart. It is unknown whether this was due to them being full or the flavour. The tart was a flop literally as it had not set.

The same rationale was used to pick Ellie as team captain for the red team. They had to cater for a 21st party, and it was thought because she was 21 she would have something in common with the client.

The client who was the event manager not the 21 year old twins wanted substantial canapes with an element of excitement with the food, and also an element of involvement by the guests. Ellie didn’t really clarify what she meant by that so when she got back to the house to plan everyone just looked confused.

Dani did come up with a good idea with writing messages on cupcakes and letting the guests also to write on them.

At the lawyers lunch they were trying to drum up drama by being peeved about the food running late. Kumar’s confit of ocean trout with fennel and apple salad was a hit, but was served 10 minutes late. We never did find out how over time the lunch ran.

I thought Peter was a good captain once in the kitchen, however he did give the go ahead to the menu and he also didn’t oversee the portion size in the prep time for the beef cheeks.

Then it was the red teams turn to cook.

I thought it was unfair that the red team had the same budget of $1000 to cater for 50 people, whereas the blue team only had twelve guests.

However the girls managed to bring it in on budget and spent the last $100 on a pretty small piece rabbit terrine, and onion confit.

Gary Mehigan was not impressed that the rabbit terrine with the red onion confit as both which had been bought, not made. They still had to plate it up.

The red team was a bit of a disaster in the prep. They forgot red food colouring, and coconut for Alana’s dishes. I am surprised she did not think there was some sort of sabotage thing going on.

Dani went off to get them but apparently she was gone for an hour. Clearly no corner shops in the Eastern Suburbs.

However Ellie who was not a good leader in the kitchen, and was also trying to make two dishes so it was a bit of a mess.

However the food ended up going out and it was getting good reviews from the crowd. I just wish they had had more napkins.

The Red Velvet cupcakes went down a treat as well. And unlike other 21st’s no one was pissed on camera making a fool of themselves.

No surprise the red team won when one of the criteria was meeting the client’s brief, and the guests at the 21st were far more happier with the food than the law firm.

Tomorrow night a blind folded taste test. I am hoping Hayden uses his immunity pin.

1 AnonyMousse { 06.30.11 at 5:00 pm }

Paul – okay, I predict that the blog for the next episode will be filled with mostly negative comments about the contestants skills, along with maybe some food related puns and some aspersions against Mat Preston’s weight.

I guess we’ll see how accurately I predicted what is going to happen by sometime tomorrow.

2 brain dead dave { 06.30.11 at 5:03 pm }

When the corporate boffin started dropping words about the Blue’s food like ‘heavy’, “rich” and “late” when the brief specified “light” and ‘time schedule” . I mean ,that’s a pretty big hint.

3 dmc { 06.30.11 at 5:12 pm }

Paul, I’m not saying it’s always obvious, just that when it is, it really is. I hope that makes sense.

4 Fides { 06.30.11 at 5:40 pm }

Emma – I reckon George would love Ellie to be his nurse, even when she says stuff like “when I get stressed, my brain goes into non working mode” which is pretty much what she said during a challenge a few weeks back. I remember that comment clearly, as that particular remark made me feel very relieved she doesn’t see her future in the health profession.

And I’m not meaning to have a go at Ellie, but did anyone else feel, when she and Kate went shopping, that Kate was a mum shopping with her daughter? The way Ellie ran down the supermarket aisle swinging her ponytail made me think she was a very tall ten year old.

For Skye fans, I tried her Wild Sugar espresso ice cream (which I bought at a fancy Woolworths aka Thomas Dux grocers in Sydney – dunno if they have these elsewhere ) and it was amazing. Just wish she’d release her chocolate avocado mousse thing.

5 Emma { 06.30.11 at 5:59 pm }

hahaha Fides 😉

re: Skye “and it was amazing. Just wish she’d release her chocolate avocado mousse thing”

Must.try.chocolate.avocado.mousse.thing. This sounds right up my alley, wonder if Skye’s food is available in Qld ….

6 brain dead dave { 06.30.11 at 6:08 pm }

George would love Allie to do an apprenticeship under him…..

7 Pollywaffle { 06.30.11 at 6:21 pm }

@BDD Yeah George would be in his Elliement

8 Emma { 06.30.11 at 6:29 pm }

I have the worst image in my head right now …. thanks guys.

😉 😀

9 AnonyMousse { 06.30.11 at 6:44 pm }

Emma – Yes the ice cream’s supposed to be available in QLD, but only at specific stores. Check this site: http://wildsugar.com.au/stockists/

10 brain dead dave { 06.30.11 at 6:49 pm }

Hey George, what’s the difference between a Greek mother and a Rottweiler?

Eventually, the Rottweiler lets go. Boom boom,shake the room.

Joke from Ch7 today.

11 Sabotage { 06.30.11 at 7:09 pm }

The handwritten shopping list had both coconut and food colouring written at the side, separate from the rest of the list. IMPOSSIBLE to miss! “Coconut” was written in capitals halfway down the page on the right hand side by itself and “food colouring” was completely by itself at the top of the page on the right hand side…

And how did Peter think “light” meant “small portions” ..there were a zillion light lunches they could have produced..are they really that bad or are they given “guidance”.

12 Emma { 06.30.11 at 7:13 pm }

Thanks AnonyMousse, there’s one down the road from me 😀

13 brain dead dave { 06.30.11 at 7:24 pm }

I predict that Goldilocks won’t use his lame ammunity pin,because the teasers show him vacillating about it. There’ll be a good fitfteen minutes worth of ads,too. George will perve at Allie.

14 Sooty { 06.30.11 at 8:52 pm }