Masterchef Australia – Hayden May Have Played His Immunity Pin Too Early

In the Mystery Box pudding challenge, the judges said they were only tasting the top five dishes based on looks and performance in the kitchen. Silly me had thought they had meant the look of the pudding, however it must have been based on looks of contestants as Hayden’s oozing (ie raw) chocolate pudding got tasted.

The adulation of Hayden commenced in the opening shots with him on the running machine.  Michael was there as well  looking like he had just gotten out of bed. Also Ellie was being pimped with a shot of  her putting on mascara, and we saw no more of her in the episode.

They hit the Masterchef kitchen and Gary gave them a pep talk about how fabulous they are for being in the top ten and outlined all these food opporutunities they might now do, like write a cookbook, open a cafe or buy a small farm. Funny he didn’t also  say that most of last year’s top 10 were back working in the original jobs.

Tonight the Mystery box challenge was to make a steamed pudding.

Peter who is out of his depth with desserts should have been instantly eliminated for not knowing the large pudding bowl he was not going to cook in 30 minutes.

Hayden was doing a self saucing pudding – it looked more like a fondant which was undercooked and oozed out onto the plate, but the judges gave it a try.

By the way I know people are talking up Hayden as a post media career (including myself) but he does have a bit of a Kermit the Frog type of voice which could be a liability.

Kate cooked raspberry and white chocolate pudding with a kahlua ice cream. George thought it was spectacular, Matt thought the kahlua took it to another level.

Sun cooked Apple and Rhubanb spiced pudding with caramel sauce. The pudding should be lighter said Matt, but they loved the apple juice and mascarpone.

Billy cooked Pina Colada Pudding with lime mascapone. His mascapone had curdled. Even Billy admitted the mascarpone was a disaster.

Michael cooked middle eastern pudding which received high praise from the judges.

The only other pudding we saw was Peter’s raw one. The other contestant’s remain a mystery.

Kate won the challenge which meant she could pick the ingredient for the invention test.

Shane Delia from Maha in Melbourne was the guest judge and the invention test was based on Middle Eastern cuisine.

Thankfully  Hayden gave us a quick geography lesson on where the Middle East was, which was clearly rehearsed.

Kate could pick either cheese, which was feta, haloumi and labne. The next ingredient was lamb, and the third one was figs.

Kate picked figs. Surprisingly Billy  cooked a savoury dish considering dessert is his speciality, and this was a bad move for him. His Moroccan Vegetable Stew was too hot.

Dani made fig and pistachio baklava ice cream. Dani just happened to be reading middle eastern cookbooks that day. I would love to know how much prep time they get.

“Unbelievably good” said Matt Preston. He also implied this was the first decent dish Dani had cooked.

Kate’s icecream was melting fast, probably because of the lights, and the jelly was sliding off. I noted by the time they tasted it, it was much firmer. At least hers was set, Hayden’s ice cream and jelly was a disaster, and it landed him in the pressure test tomorrow night.

Michael made a fig dukah panacotta tart. George thought the pastry on the bottom was short and delicious. He also thought the sweet dukah was inspiring.

Mat cooked fig stew with cauliflower puree. Shane Delia thought the cauliflower was very bland.

Peter had made an eggplant, chickpea and fig braise with flatbread and spiced yoghurt. Gary said the bread was delicious and the stew was delicious.

Top three were Dani, Peter and Michael, with Dani winning and getting the opportunity to go for immunity.

The bottom three were Mat, Hayden and Billy. It should be an interesting week on Masterchef as Mat, if the rumours are correct, is thrown out of the show because he had a smart phone.  I wonder if Hayden is worried that he may have played his immunity pin to early.

1 penny aka jeroxie { 07.03.11 at 10:38 pm }

This will be a dramatic week… you think?

2 Mac { 07.03.11 at 10:41 pm }

The editors should really double check on their previews since I just saw Dani wearing the immunity pin during that team challenge.

3 littlepetal { 07.03.11 at 10:44 pm }

Yes, Dani has the immunity pin on her apron but I thought she didn’t make it to the Top 8. Something is not right here.

4 Dmc { 07.03.11 at 10:46 pm }

Yes I thought I saw that immunity pin as well. Also editors, why not show one or two more dishes (Sun, Ellie etc) and make the bottom three less predictable?

5 Emily { 07.03.11 at 10:48 pm }

Very glad that Dani won because despite the general hatred/dislike people have for her, I really do adore her. I definitely saw the pin too, I guess many won’t be tuning in on Tuesday. Where did you read she doesn’t make it to top 8?

6 littlepetal { 07.03.11 at 10:53 pm }

I was only guessing because she has FB activities going on for a while.

7 EH { 07.03.11 at 10:57 pm }

@ littlepetal lol! Dani might also have a ‘smartphone’ in the house to update her FB status .

8 JaniceG { 07.03.11 at 10:57 pm }

Glad I have witnesses to my belief that Hayden used his immunity pin too soon and that he should have saved it for a challenge against fewer people! Looks like it’s either him or Billy given that we know Mat survives just to be thrown out later.

Once again, I’m peeved that we got needless recaps and redundant interviews instead of seeing what all of the competitors cooked, and that the interviews/bench chats revealed pretty much who was going to be picked top and bottom. There’s absolutely no excuse now that we’re down to 10 people that we have absolutely no clue what Ellie or Alana made, or were even thinking of making, in the first round, or even more people (like Sun) in the second round. The editing this year is an absolute disgrace.

RR: Speaking of onscreen presence, I agree about Hayden’s voice probably not being suitable. However, I think they might have found a contender in Shane Delia — the camera seemed to like him, nice voice, very articulate, and a warm, likeable presence.

9 EH { 07.03.11 at 11:00 pm }

RR, spotted David Chang guest judging in NYC preview clip. Mat might have tasted the Momofuku pork buns after all.

10 littlepetal { 07.03.11 at 11:08 pm }

One of the reasons why it is so hard to pick the Top 4 as we never get to see most of the dishes. I thought it was funny seeing Michael preparing like 6 figs and then only have 1 on his plate

11 Oshada { 07.03.11 at 11:12 pm }

Shane Delia’s probably my favourite chef on Ready Steady Cook so it was good seeing him today x)

Dani’s dish looked amazing, I want to make it for sure!

12 JC { 07.03.11 at 11:28 pm }

They were probably concentrating on not revealing who gets eliminated that they totally forgot about the immunity pin. Not that I mind – I also really like Dani and think she’s kind of adorable!

13 JaniceG { 07.03.11 at 11:30 pm }

@Oshada: I thought Peter’s flatbread looked really good, too: one of the few things I’ve seen this season that I thought looked like something I might want to try to make

14 AnonyMousse { 07.04.11 at 12:02 am }

I’m feeling a bit cold towards the whole thing now – last year I still had 2 favourites when we reached the top 10. This year, I couldn’t care less who won out of those remaining. Is that due to the contestants being boring, or is it due to the editors not showing us enough of people besides the main mouth pieces (Dani and a couple of others) for me to form a strong attachment to them?

Hopefully the New York episodes next week will provide something interesting.

15 lulu { 07.04.11 at 12:24 am }

Poor Michael…must’ve taxed him to not do a rockyroad and face-painting tonight. This show should be called The Dani Hour – is she related to one of the producers? Gushing and annoying.
The best thing about Ellie being on mc is that patients everywhere can breathe a sigh of relief – will finish up on the cover of Ralph magazine (‘tastefully done,’ of course).
And George, jumping up and down does not make you taller.

16 Jo { 07.04.11 at 1:19 am }

Hayden to me has that David Beckham effect – he’s alright to look at and seems articulate enough, but the second he speaks I need to tune out.

I really really hope that Dani doesn’t win it, but it’s looking increasingly likely that she will go far.

17 Oshada { 07.04.11 at 1:23 am }

Now that you mention it JaniceG, today was probably the first time this season I’ve wanted to make something made by the contestants.

18 Marie { 07.04.11 at 2:17 am }

This episode was particularly trying listening to the judges announce a powerful advantage for the victor and then hearing it rehashed in the interviews over and over: “A powerful power filled power prize is up for grabs. I believe this power could be potentially powerful and may grant power later in the comp.”

Also irritating for Dani’s combined chomping at the camera/laugh. I can only imagine she thinks the inside of her mouth is endearing the poor, deluded girl.

I agree completely in regards to the editing. It would be nice to know what the others were cooking and would also be more likely to keep me interested. The on camera reactions speak for themselves mostly. People looking shocked and then six interviews where peoples say how shocking it was just isn’t necessary.

19 ScotlandJohn { 07.04.11 at 6:20 am }

My prediction is that Hayden will go out tomorrow but he will be re-drafted back in when the Mat gets the boot. Is it just me or is Mat completely useless? I still can’t believe he has lasted this long when much better chefs have been eliminated.

20 Thomas { 07.04.11 at 7:22 am }

Sheesh seriously? Couldn’t they show the other contestant’s dishes?
Right now any mistake and you’ll be sent home. I agree that Hayden should have kept his pin last week; he probably would not have been the worst of 6.
He did cook the obviously worst dish today… if he fouls up tomorrow he does deserve to be out. Well, at least the judges won’t be talking about his abs rather than his cooking anymore.

21 PollyB { 07.04.11 at 7:24 am }

Shane Delia was the highlight last night. Why is Jowlsy around when a guest judge is involved? His presence is completely superfluous in these situations. I much prefer the opinions of chefs to his self-important overblown ego. And, agreeing with others, the production house showing complete contempt to the viewer – 10 contestants and they show only 7 dishes, but the scripted crap-to-camera re-caps are repeated ad nauseam. And Channel 10 are just as contemptuous showing Dani with the ammunity pin. I can’t wait for this to finish then Foxtel will show UK MC.

22 Emma { 07.04.11 at 8:27 am }

Am quite confused as to what’s going to happen re: Mat … unsure who will be eliminated really(well apart from Mat?!). Dani’s dish looked really good and was clever. She does get a lot of airplay that’s for sure!

PollyB I used to watch UK MC for years and loved it but recently I read their format was changed to be similar to ours (stupid move IMO) … apparently it didn’t go down well in the UK. Not sure what it will be like this year really.

23 JRuth { 07.04.11 at 8:55 am }

Sadly, I think it might be Billy to go tonight. Unless tonight is the night they find Mat’s i-phone? Probably not likely given that it’s a pressure test with a recipe, and the i -phone is supposedly found when they aren’t supposed to be using recipes, if the rumours are true…

24 Sooty { 07.04.11 at 9:03 am }

Hayden? Using his pin too early?? Could it be??? Told ya!

25 JaniceG { 07.04.11 at 9:13 am }

@Oshada – Probably because this was the first time in a while that the contestants were cooking without some ridiculous constraint

@PollyB – If you like UK MasterChef, you need to watch the brilliant UK “MasterChef Synesthesia” that is making the rounds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfeyUGZt8nk

26 Peter A { 07.04.11 at 9:22 am }

Interesting after searching Shane Delia’s restaurant Maha , that it was part of a group that happens to be called “The Press Club Group” . George sure is a busy dynamo of a man. Good on them all for being pro-active in the food industry.

27 auds { 07.04.11 at 10:29 am }

certainly a surprise with with the bottom 3 being who they are (well except for Mat anyway) I am thinking its too early for the Mat fiasco so it will be Hayden or Billy. I bet Hayden is kicking himself for using the pin too early.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to what Labne cheese tastes like? I have heard of it but it has never crossed my path.

cheers

28 Paul { 07.04.11 at 10:34 am }

Peter A,
George and Shane are part owners of a new Melbourne restaurant called St Katherine’s.

Been receiving great reviews.

Don’t see what the problem was with last nights episode. It was entertaining and went back to basics with the invention test.

Me thinks people are just too intent with finding fault with the show sometimes.

29 AngelSN86 { 07.04.11 at 10:52 am }

Well, I’m thinking that Matt goes sometime this week. Because I’m pretty sure that he doesn’t go to NY and that is apparently happening next week, according to the promos. My guess is that this Wednesday’s challenge is like last year’s, where they removed all the cookbooks and the contestants had to find the 2 cookbooks that belonged to the chefs who will head up the challenge. The TV Guide mentions a ‘French vs English’ battle, which I think may have been the same as the challenge last year. Or it could’ve been 2 French chefs. And all the news stories said that Matt was busted after they removed cookbooks. The other possibility, is that he goes out tonight and the other stuff with the phone is all just rubbish.

Didn’t notice the pin on Dani though. Missed that little slip. She’s definitely getting better over the past few weeks, cooking-wise. She still annoys the hell out of me though, lol.

Good to see the return of the mystery box-invention test double-header. I think Hayden’s pudding was chosen for its concept and the way he worked in the kitchen. As they said, just a few more minutes in the oven and it would’ve been great. It look delicious though, with that oozing chocolate, mmmm. :)

30 Fides { 07.04.11 at 11:42 am }

I definitely prefer this old school MC, I don’t think there’s been a “normal” mystery box/invention test since right from the start of this season.

I’ve always had problems with Hayden’s voice – not so much of what he says (though it’s not particularly illuminating) but more his lack of inflection so it comes across very dull. He’s said he wants a career that combines food and travel, so I guess last night’s little geography lesson was Ch10 trying him out. He’ll need voice lessons though to improve that voice if Ch10 really want to push a successful media career out of him.

So if people have spotted Dani with the immunity pin, I don’t think that chef will ever come back on this show. From the TV guide, it’s the same chef whose apprentice lost to Hayden, but this time it’s the chef himself who’ll be cooking against Dani. I wouldn’t have thought the producers would let that happen.

31 brain dead dave { 07.04.11 at 11:52 am }

Hayden is “vunable”, according to Jowlsy. Highlight of the night for me.

I did say that the culinary candyass used his pin too early last week. Hope his slamming sphincter goes down tonight.

Vive le Tour.

Ma$terchef-$hizen.

Thanks for the recap,RR.

32 littlepetal { 07.04.11 at 11:57 am }

I am only speculating. Could the extra power for winning the challenge last night has something to do with the immunity pin. Maybe you can still have the pin even if you lose the challenge but you may have to win something else?

Really can’t see Alessandro losing.

33 Fides { 07.04.11 at 12:26 pm }

Maybe it’s a tie? So technically, he doesn’t lose but it would still give Dani the pin?

34 EH { 07.04.11 at 12:28 pm }

@AngelSN86: love your theory! Last year ‘French vs French’ challenge saw the contestants searching the house for the two French chefs cookbooks.

The ‘French vs English’ challenge is interesting. The preview has shown Marco Pierre White as the ‘English’, could Anthony Bourdain be the ‘French’ as he was in Sydney same time when Marco was here.

35 essjayeats { 07.04.11 at 12:42 pm }

Anthony Bourdain is not French and hasn’t cooked in decades – I don’t think it will be him.

36 EH { 07.04.11 at 2:02 pm }

@essjayeats: Bourdain is not French but he used to be the head chef of Les Halles which is a French bistro. He wrote a Les Halles cookbook few years ago. Last year ‘Frech vs French’, Tony Bilson wasn’t French as well. Marco Pierre White has quit being a chef way longer than Bourdain.

37 kingfisher { 07.04.11 at 2:06 pm }

i told you all last week that hayden is sunk when he gave up the pin he’s been sh.ting bricks since then . great show last night mc of old . i would like pete’s meal first and to finish the night off and have dani’s dessert delish!!!. how’s sun’s special comments “shoot me in the head please ” she is so boring !! love for hayden and his tight jocks voice to go tonight .

38 AnonyMousse { 07.04.11 at 2:25 pm }

AngelSN86 – You may be onto something there with the ‘find the cookbook’ theory. If so, I guess tonight’s result doesn’t actually matter as it’ll be reversed

39 Reality Raver { 07.04.11 at 2:38 pm }

Only the beginning of the week and we have two mysteries going. The mystery of Mat and the mystery of Dani’s immunity pin.

40 AngelSN86 { 07.04.11 at 3:41 pm }

Well, as for tonight’s decision being reversed, it depends whether the booting happens before or after the Thursday elimination. If its after the Thursday elimination, that person would be bought back, not whoever goes tonight. I hope Hayden is safe, he’s normally so good. Don’t know what went wrong last night.

41 brain dead dave { 07.04.11 at 4:59 pm }

Ch 10 are putting their money where Dani’s mouth is.