Masterchef Australia – Billy’s Gone But Will He Be Back?
Well there goes my Mat was flicked with the smart phone scandal to bring back the golden child Hayden – seriously disappointed.
Also there goes my theory that Mat got to New York meets David Chang and then was flown back home in disgrace. (See previous blog post on that here).
As the preview of the Wednesday (I think) night’s episode shows Matt Preston going to the Masterchef house and saying he has bad news. I suspect this is laying down the ground work for Mat to leave the show.
If the smart phone theory has any legs at all he must be booted off after the Wednesday night challenge. At the time of the Mat being kicked out of the show, the articles said it was because he may have used a smart phone in a challenge where they were to have no access to cookbooks.
But this could have been filmed after they get back from New York? But somehow I doubt it how are you going to get all the remaining contestants to keep the mouth shut about that.
Or maybe Mat just left the show under his own volition.
Well the good news for Billy fans is that if Mat is flicked before Thursday night’s elimination challenge then he is back in. If this is the case and he misses the Marco Pierre White challenge, he should have to do the elimination challenge with the losing team on Thursday. Or do you think that is too harsh?
Ok to tonight’s episode where they had to make salt crusted guinea fowl, mushroom duxelle with a jus, and two sides of their own choosing.
Here are some quick thoughts on the actual episode:
- The 75 minutes was too short a time for prep and making of the dishes the fowl was meant to take 40 minutes to cook, but they implied none of them got it into the oven within that timeframe;
- Of course there was the gratuitous shot of Hayden without a shirt on running up the beach, I can see him on Bondi Rescue next season;
- Is celeriac the new foodie black – with both Hayden and Mat making a puree with it;
- Gary Mehigan said they [the contestants] have to do something to show they are the best cook in this bunch. Which is bollocks you just have to not be the worst on the pressure test night.
- Also I thought it interesting that Matt Preston told Mat that this was the first time he had seen Mat engaged in the kitchen. Then how did Mat make the top 10?
- Billy’s jus and his raw beetroot and apple salad was the reason he was sent home.
- Billy has said he would like to open a dessert bar. He also has a food blog www.atablefortwo.com.au
UPDATE: In the Daily Telegraph Billy confirms that Mat breached rules, and just about says he is back in the competition.
In an exit interview yesterday the 34-year-old web designer said he would make the most of any second chance.
“It’s a very special situation. It isn’t a set-up by the producers like last year where they intentionally brought people back to cause drama. It’s unusual circumstances where someone’s breached the rules,” Law said.
“Mat breached the rules so obviously they had to come up with a solution.”