Masterchef Australia – Dani Wins An Immunity Pin

Is Alessandro Pavoni the only person to go on Masterchef Australia and come out with negative publicity for his restaurant Ormeggio?

His apprentice was beaten by Hayden in the first immunity challenge of Season 3, and tonight he tied with Dani which meant she got an immunity pin. Oh and it was one of his own recipes.

One of the Masterchef producers or Matt Preston must have got some bad service there one night and wanted to exact some revenge.

Dani also received a 10 minute head start.

One of the Masterchef producers or Matt Preston must have had some bad service there one night and wanted to exact some revenge.

Regular readers will know that the Channel Ten preview on Sunday night showed Dani wearing the immunity pin (see blog post here). So really not a lot of suspense in the episode.

The head chef of Ormeggio went head to head with Dani cooking a dish that is on his menu. It was cuttlefish chequerboard with a calamari soup and tomato dust.

Alex the apprentice was there, giving Dani some verbal tips, he also revealed that Alessandro had not cooked the dish in awhile.

There was no drama in the prep and cooking time, and  Alessandro helped Dani plate up.

Dish one was Dani’s. Her cuttlefish cooked in perfect way said guest judge Armando Percuoco from Buon Ricordo.  George thought the calamari bisque was packed full of flavour. The criticism was there was a lack of tomato dust and the plating was not centred.

Alessandro’s dish was criticised for the broth not being as lush in taste.

Dani scored 7 from George and Armondo, and an eight from Matt Preston.

Alessandro scored an 8 from George, and a seven from Armondo and Matt. Hence a tie and Dani got an immunity pin. Alessandro was trying to be magnanimous but you could tell he was peeved. His face was bright red and he stood there with his arms crossed.

Anyway that episode was just a filler before tomorrow night when Mat is booted off the show. The preview implies he is punted prior to the start of the challenge which stars Marco-Pierre White. I was also wondering in the comment section on a previous blog post whether Mat’s edit was not great because they didn’t want the viewer to be upset when he was gone….

1 Jruth { 07.06.11 at 8:12 am }

I don’t see it as negative publicity for Ormeggio. I do feel sorry for Alessandro, but the calamari dish looked great and it made me want to go there to try it. Unfortunately Dani was as annoying as ever – has no-one ever told her to close her mouth? And with the amount of help Dani received from Alessandro and his apprentice in preparation, cooking and plating up, it is ridiculous to say it was a tie!

2 JC { 07.06.11 at 8:22 am }

Agree re: Alessandro’s helpfulness (and flirtiness!)… would they have offered the same assistance if it was someone like, say Peter or one of the guys?

3 JaniceG { 07.06.11 at 8:29 am }

I actually think this was good publicity for Alessandro and the restaurant: he came across as helpful and supportive. As for possibly reflecting on his cooking ability, it was fairly clear that Dani would not have had a chance to tie him without his help.

Two things puzzle me:

* If they really mean this to be a challenge, why does the contestant get help from the chef and his staff, not to mention the other contestants on the balcony? (Mat saved Dani by reminding her about the dehydrating tomatoes.) JC: The guys have also gotten help from the chefs in immunity challenges.

2. Why did Allesandro decide to change his recipe for the broth by adding cherry tomatoes, which is what caused the difference in depth and flavor?

Another thing: is it me, or did the original teaser shown on Sunday night for the Wednesday night “shocker” not include a brief clip of Mat – was that added for the Tuesday night teaser?

4 Reality Raver { 07.06.11 at 8:32 am }

Janice G – Mat was in the clip on Sunday night.

5 JaniceG { 07.06.11 at 8:46 am }

RR: Thanks – must have spaced out.

6 PollyB { 07.06.11 at 8:49 am }

Alessandro is doing this to publicise his restaurant. However, IMO, he clearly loves mentoring people. I don’t like to think it was just because Dani is female.

7 Thomas { 07.06.11 at 8:59 am }

Jruth – She’s in PR. She has to keep on yakking for her living.

Frankly compared to the sullen Sun, I’d rather hear Dani.

8 JC { 07.06.11 at 9:07 am }

True, the male amateurs have been helped out. I guess the interaction between Dani and Alessandro was cute but I always wonder what things would’ve been like with different factors (like a different contestant) – as usual! Nice to know that Alessandro wants to help out as he can come across as intimidating! He did seem very happy for Dani in the end.

9 AnonyMousse { 07.06.11 at 9:11 am }

Dani reminds me of those sideshow clowns that you drop ping pong balls down – mouth wide open in an endless laugh. I don’t know if I’m seeing the real Dani or some overblown self-Charicature to make herself more memorable on camera.

I think Sun’s reaction was probably the most honest one (‘yeah great, one less finals spot for the rest of us’)

10 Paul { 07.06.11 at 9:19 am }

If anything sometimes its better to lose as far as getting publicity for your restaurant is concerned.

For example I clearly remember Pete Evans (S1) and the guy from MoVida (S2) losing whereas if you asked me about any of the other myriad chefs, I would find them hard to recall.

And considering Evans is kicking goals on MKR and MoVida is booked out 12 months of the year with a 3 month waiting list then I don’t think losing has done them any harm.

11 Fides { 07.06.11 at 9:21 am }

Last night after watching the show I was inspired and tried a Dani. Which means I would make an inane comment, then open my mouth as wide as possible (you must clearly be able to see your back teeth) and laugh at how funny I was. I suggest you try it, it is quite exhausting. Doesn’t endear me to Dani one bit though.

Is it the rule this year that they always want one pin in play? Ahhh, bet Pavoni wished he hadn’t helped with all that plating, guess he thought he couldn’t lose this one.

12 davsimp { 07.06.11 at 10:02 am }

At least Dani gave credit where credit was due. She admitted that were it not for the help she received from Alessandro and Alex there was no way she would have won the pin. She did look very grateful to them, and rightly so. Yes AM, re Sun’s face and her tone, classic!

13 Pollywaffle { 07.06.11 at 10:04 am }

Judges will need to invest in spit shields if Dani goes any further in the comp. When the verdict was given she let a mighty gorbie fly.

14 Miss Piggy (MelbaToast) { 07.06.11 at 10:17 am }

The owner of Movida lost out to Marion last year and it’s not affected his business at all (other than to make Movida even harder to get in to ) – so I’m guessing the publicity for Alesandro won’t hurt him (plus he has a dishy accent, and seems like a nice guy).

I feel sorry for Mat, if what Danielle has said about the situation is true (ie he had the phone to receive a personal phone call and he didn’t want the producers listening in to his private business). No matter what, he’s basically going to be known forever as the guy who cheated on Masterchef…whether he did or not. Can’t bode well for any future plans his has in the food industry or otherwise. The whole country will think he’s a liar, and in the scheme of things it’s not a big deal – he’s not killed someone or tortured kittens in his spare time.

15 PollyB { 07.06.11 at 12:12 pm }

Get a load of ol’ Jowsly slanging off at other reality programs cos they don’t have racial diversity. Shine, it seems, seek out contestants to represent cultural diversity. Sounds like tokenism to me. A load of PC twaddle.

16 brain dead dave { 07.06.11 at 12:23 pm }

Ha ,nice one $hine. Id like to see Dani wearing a burqa, it would save seeing the appallingly mindless mugging and fawning she bungs on with her mouth.

17 Pollywaffle { 07.06.11 at 12:27 pm }

@BDD not to mention the spitfest, and Im not talking about George’s barbequing obession

18 Marie { 07.06.11 at 12:33 pm }

Of course Alessandro’s publicity wont be damaged in any way: as far as I am concerned at least, with all the help given last night he effectively drew with himself.

19 brain dead dave { 07.06.11 at 1:28 pm }

According to the teaser I just saw , “one of your favourites is coming back” into the Ma$terchef house tonight. I suppose that will be Billy. All you can see is a shadow coming down the stairs.

20 sourkraut { 07.06.11 at 1:51 pm }

Fides
She obviously learned the technique from the imPOHster, but has not quite got the hands running down the chin in feigned surprise manouver perfected yet. (She is however at present at least 50% as annoying as the imPOHster)

Miss Piggy
Half or about 10% less than half the country dont seem to mind about lying.

Anony Mousse
Spot on again

Wonder what sort of deal was done to get that result. Had I been Alessandro I would have had to turn away from the cameras for several minutes so that the lip readers in the audience would not have seen me utter.. dang-foozled, ding-busted, hornswoggling, flim-flamming pieces of chicken shit judges Halleleujah. Somewhat akin to Clark Griswold’s classic in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.

21 davsimp { 07.06.11 at 1:52 pm }

BDD, this could be clue. How big was the shadow? Was it Danielle big? Billy big? Or were there gaps where ear parts should be?

22 sourkraut { 07.06.11 at 1:55 pm }

Just like season one…..the french judge raved about dolly bird Justines glop and this season the Italian judge raves about the dolly birds glop.
Sexism alive and well in mon$terchaff

23 sourkraut { 07.06.11 at 1:56 pm }

Davsimp
The gaps were BETWEEN the ears

24 brain dead dave { 07.06.11 at 2:14 pm }

I think sourkraut is right,davsimp.

Ch 10 is obviously going for broke tonight with the crucifixion of Mat and the resurrection of Billy.

25 Martinie { 07.06.11 at 2:21 pm }

I actually have a feeling that Mat gets booted after the team challenge – looking at the preview for tonight, I’m sure I counted 5 people in blue aprons – Dani (captain), Hayden, Michael, Peter and Kate. They barely show any of the red team at all, but Mat must be on the red team, he has just been edited out of the preview. Matt Preston also walks into the house at night. Also I wonder what this “unprecedented advantage” is that Dani has tonight – perhaps choosing her team members?

26 brain dead dave { 07.06.11 at 2:33 pm }

The voiceover says that the shadow returns just in time to cook for that cranky Marco chef.

But these teasers are no better than pledges about carbon taxes or GST’s.

27 FoodieW { 07.06.11 at 3:08 pm }

Alessandro has grown on me since watching him do a pasta/cabbage dish for a reward/Masterclass. I’d eat at his restaurant.

I think Dani received too much help. I think without the help of the two fella’s she may not have won. I don’t see her totally worthy of that pin. And admittedly I mimic her laugh… to make my daughter laugh.

28 FoodieW { 07.06.11 at 3:09 pm }

P.S. I also think it’s cruel for the producers to inflict Marco Pierre White onto the contestants. Old school bully.

29 Fides { 07.06.11 at 3:48 pm }

Sourkraut – definitely think she is taking tips from Poh. I used to try Poh’s signature talking while simultaneously stretching your gob to show all your teeth and laughing uproariously. That one is even harder than the Dani because it gives all your facial and jaw muscles quite the workout. S1 Sam’s horsey grin was a classic too.

Actually I’d like to see MC Allstars – of Poh and Dani – which of the two bubbly personalities will outbubble the other? And I’d like to see Chris v Mat in a phone a friend challenge or Irmagard and Kumar paired together for anything. How about it MC producers?

30 littlepetal { 07.06.11 at 4:36 pm }

It would be funny that if Billy get back and he will be cooking in the red team with Alana, Sun and Ellile. Red team lost and they have to go to the elimination challenge and Billy lose again. After all the trouble to bring him back and he lost will be too funny. Thus Billy will not lose in the elimination challenge.

31 brain dead dave { 07.06.11 at 4:48 pm }

They can at least put a revolving door at Ma$terchef Lodge for Billy.

I think you’ve got it right, littlepetal that Billy will come back and be cast with the doomed Red Team.

32 Pollywaffle { 07.06.11 at 4:53 pm }

Billy’s partner heard to be singing while hanging out the washing:

Billy, dont be a hero, dont be a fool with your life, Billy don’t be a hero come home and make me your slice

33 brain dead dave { 07.06.11 at 5:03 pm }

Poor Billy must be boiling about Dani’s ammunity pin considering he got no mercy from Murderous Merle. Or has he been in “lockdown” and oblivious to Judge Jowlsy’s kangaroo court?

34 sourkraut { 07.06.11 at 5:03 pm }

Fides @ 29
That would be fantastic but you’d have to throw St Marianne into the bubbly mix as well. The end result (i shudder to admit having watched it) would be like the artificial volcano so subtly shown on the NSW footy show last week
BDD @ 24 that sounds like the gospel of Saint Jowls… Amen

35 Cherry Gripe { 07.06.11 at 5:26 pm }

And here was I thinking that tomato dust was something you used to get rid of white fly.

36 venomous veruca { 07.06.11 at 6:22 pm }

Dani’s gob was open so wide that you could’ve fit Alessandro’s head in. Sorry Dani but talking and fake-laughing like a tweaked up ‘tard doesn’t hide the fact that you’re still vapid and insipid. You can’t even do ‘fake’ properly. Away with you foul girl.

37 Ashly { 07.04.12 at 4:38 pm }

It wasn’t because Dani was a girl, if you see the first immunity challenge for Season 3 he helps Hayden Quinn just as much (if not more than) his own apprentice. He seems like a really nice guy just wanting to help others. It isn’t bad publicity at all! If anything it makes me want to visit him more as he has a great personality and was a great sport despite the losses and seems genuinely happy for the contestants.

38 Martha Lotfe { 08.02.13 at 8:10 am }

There is something that is making noise in my head.
Weeks ago Dani had a phone call with her father
When she felt vulnerable before the challenge
Test. Shy she can use the phone an Matt cannot??
Im following the show in Lisboa :) greetings to everyone !

39 Georgie { 08.02.13 at 8:26 am }

Greetings Martha, be careful of the spoilers on the blog.