Masterchef Australia – Marco-Pierre White Growls

I was surprised tonight that none of the females remaining on Masterchef Australia threw their knickers at Marco-Pierre White, though it looked like Sun thought about it.

As @smauge said on Twitter, Rachel from WA would have.

Also I think sleeping with Marco might solve the question that was raised on Q and A last Monday night on “whether a misogynist could be a good lover?” Maybe only if they are gay would have been my response…

I did notice Marco crack his first smile of the evening at Ellie towards the end of the episode and leer and say “I just want to be your friend”. For some reason Little Red Riding Hood came into my head.

Anyway it was a cracker of an episode first we had Mat Beyer making an “honourable exit” because of his use of a smart phone in the house. (See previous blog post on that part of the episode here).

Then the teams were off to Felix to cook in the French/English challenge with Marco-Pierre overseeing them in the kitchen with his head scarf on. He seems very intense. I think it also should be noted he was one of the first celebrity chefs.

However one of the interesting thing was how the teams were picked. Dani was appointed captain of the blue team, as she had won this week. Then she got to pick four other people to be on her team. So she thinks the four strongest cooks in the competition are Michael, Peter, Kate, and Hayden.

The red team was then left as Alana (who was captain), Ellie, Sun and Billy (once Mat was kicked out). Clearly Dani will be getting the cold shoulder from the red team contestants when they got back to the house.

The Blue team had to cook french inspired food for 30 expats and the Red team had to cook english inspired cuisine for the same number of english expats. At least the latter didn’t look like they were cast from the nearest backpackers.

I have to be honest I was busy blogging on the Mat Beyer stuff, and had a person beside me huffing and puffing about State of Origin so I did not take that much notice of the food.

Here are some thoughts on the episode:

• George Calombaris could not complain about the chip and fish roe inspired dish that the red team served up, as at his Press Club Bar he serves chips with his taramaslata, and they are nice.
  • Billy Law made a good come back with a good pork belly dish, but his he a two trick pony – desserts and pork?
  • I must be a bogan or a lush because I nearly choked when they made the champagne jelly out of Moet with added sugar though the end result did look good;
  • Dani showed she is either suicidal or has balls to interrupt Marco-Pierre to give her team a talk to;
  • Hayden’s lobster soup looked great, conversely Peter was having trouble with cooking his quails;
  • Ellie’s Eton Mess on Chocolate Tart didn’t look as bad as they said what part of the mess bit didn’t they get;
  • Marco-Pierre White played up to his persona of being a hard nosed chef, but then was quite nice to them at the end of the episode;
  • Matt Moran again shows why he is such a good judge, he is direct and articulate and fills out a suit nicely;
  • Congratulations to the editors of this episode as I had no idea who was going to win with the red team winning in the end.
  • This means Ellie, Alana, Billy and Sun are part of the eight that will be going to New York.

1 Ed { 07.07.11 at 2:10 am }

I think MPW would respect Dani for interupting him like that. that’s what commercial kitchens areball about, taking command. Anyway, nice to see Marco getting all shouty rather than poncing around making pumpkin soup with Continental stock for bloggers.

2 JaniceG { 07.07.11 at 2:27 am }

The blue team in this challenge had the same problem as the blue team in the executive catering challenge: they started with a menu that was way too complicated for the time and for 30 covers. The minute they said “quail” I said to my husband “Why would you pick quail? It’s way too fiddly.”

I agree that it was rude of Dani: her “group meeting” took people away from their tasks, interrupted a conversation between Michael and MPW, and she could have easily passed on her message when that conversation was over, or just tapped everyone on the shoulder while they were working and passed the message on.

However, I don’t think you can blame Peter for the quail being late. Dani specifically ordered him *not* to put them in the oven when he wanted to, heaven only knows why.

Once again, Ellie skates through with the worst dish of the day: cannot believe they served that cream, let alone the plating.

Finally, MPW might be a mentor and a great chef but if I had to listen to all of that repetitive yelling (“Where’s my quail, where’s my quail, where’s my quail?”) I might be dangerous with a knife in my hand!

3 Jess { 07.07.11 at 2:38 am }

I quite liked Marco. He seemed like a really credible chef.
Did anyone notice Sun cooking “five” chips in the deep fryer? . _ .

I was surprised with George calling Billy’s pork belly “the best dish of the series,” though. I mean, it looked good and all…but some of Adam’s later dishes in Season 2 were far more sophisticated than that. And Matt Preston gave Adam a 10, which nobody really gets. But I guess now we know which flashbacky clip they’ll show when Billy gets eliminated~

And, yeah…Ellie was very lucky tonight.

4 PollyB { 07.07.11 at 7:18 am }

Matt Moran again shows why he is such a good judge, he is direct and articulate and fills out a suit nicely; = yes indeedy!
Love Marco. If they knew anything of him they would know he wants a response to his repeated ‘where’s my ….’. And Dani interrupting him, hmm. Yes commercial kitchens are about immediacy, however, she is a very lowly wannabe and he is a master. A little more respect I think. The food looked good, except for Ellie’s. Pleeease, I want her to go.

5 NT Kate { 07.07.11 at 7:35 am }

I agree the pluses were the entertainment value of Marco-Pierre, some real cooking, and much better editing than usual.

But why oh why wasn’t Dani given ‘double immunity’ as previous winners of Sunday night have been, and allowed to sit it out (or ‘help’ Marco) given the uneven numbers?

Was it so she could deliberately stuff up and thus put the best of the bunch into elimination???

Or maybe she really is that ditzy.

Either way, not a scenario designed to cull the weakest, and since the blues basically lost one assumes mainly on MPW’s assessment of their poor communication and organisation skills, given that the punters apparently liked the blue’s food.

So as a result, Ellie and Sun in top 8, while one of the better boys will go…

And on the red’s, Sun’s chips and caviar were surely a crime against good food (George’s chips and whatever just confirms that this is a food crime!), but I suppose it was the sort of thing the English actually do to food (I lose weight everytime I visit that country the food is so inedible). And curdled cream in that bizarre desert – yet the Reds still won!! WTF!

That said, one can only hope Peter goes tonight, since that is the second time his choices have lead to a team catering defeat (and yes, Dani helped hm along but still). Does Peter never listen to anyone except himself – rejecting the advice of Marco to forget deboning the quail was just dumb!!

And when will they learn that dazzling everyone with elaborate and time consuming techniques is not a winning strategy!

Still, I loved Marco giving them a bit of treatment of the real thing, and stopping them from sending out uncooked food. And the rebellion from the lads. An entertaining epi even if annoying as usual…

6 smauge { 07.07.11 at 7:39 am }

I wanted to snot MPW. HE was more annoying that Dani (and that’s saying something.
I love love love Matt Moran. Unlike RR it’s not for his looks. He is so down to earth and honest. You just know that if you met him IRL he’d be exactly as you see him on the show. I’ve been in his Aria kitchen and maybe he could teach MPW a thing or two about running a calm efficient kitchen.
Now I’ve been mentioned in RR’s blog, does that qualify me as a C grade celebrity?

7 EH { 07.07.11 at 7:47 am }

I am not sure if it is intentional but it was a good strategy for Dani to pick the 4 stronger contestants for her team. If her team lost (which they did), she can use her immunity pin and make sure one of the strongest contestant will be eliminated.

8 AnonyMousse { 07.07.11 at 8:00 am }

Possibly the only time french cuisine has lost to english cuisine in the history of ever.

Poor leadership shown by Dani, but she’s young enough to have never been in a team leader position at her work. Dani could have just as easily relayed her needs one-on-one without interrupting the cooking processes of her entire team. Especially when you’re interrupting someone who was once the youngest chef to gain three michelin stars, while they were giving advice to a team member that may help your team win the night.

With the Mat phone thing – based on how many times on this and other reality shows I’ve seen them play both sides of a phone conversation, I presume that all phone conversations are recorded as a matter of course – I suppose it would help ensure the contestants are not being given forbidden information if nothing else. If that’s true, if I had an intensely private personal matter going on I wouldn’t be willing to have my conversations recorded for the nation to see either. It’s none of Judgemental-Joe-Bogan-Down-the-Road’s business of what’s happening with my mum or brother or whatever (not even if I signed up for a reality show – if I signed up, it’s on the understanding that I’m putting myself on display, not my family).

9 akris { 07.07.11 at 9:04 am }

I think I might start watching again when Ellie gets kicked out…

10 Heléna { 07.07.11 at 9:44 am }

loved watching Marco and thought this was one of the best Masterchef epsiodes to date – even though I spent most of it yelling at Dani and Ellie – the sooner these two are turfed the better – I’m so annoyed at the contestants going to elimination tonight

11 Kugelhopf { 07.07.11 at 10:02 am }

Dani’s plan to get one of the stronger cooks eliminated while keeping her safe, worked.

12 Maz { 07.07.11 at 10:08 am }

Hey smauge, thought an ‘honourable’ mention would get you a higher grade celebrity status than C. :)

Anyway, Dani either played a good strategic game to ensure the elimination of a perceived stronger cook or is lucky. But for sanity’s sake could they not interview anyone else? Has anyone timed what proportion of air-time she gets in an average episode?

As for interrupting Michael’s tete a tete that was plain rude whatever the conventions may be in a commercial kitchen.

Ellie is very lucky still to be in the competition after the Eton Mess.

Who was the script writer for Mat’s elimination? A party hack trying to ensure that ‘honourable’ permeates the public conscience in the same manner as ‘working families’. It just ended up being extremely awkward ‘Neighbours’ style acting.

At least we know that none of the contestants will have NIDA knocking at their door.

13 littlepetal { 07.07.11 at 10:20 am }

Dani performed poorly as a leader and I am not sure what she did during the prep time. It was obvious that Peter and Hayden needed assistance with their tasks but not sure how much Dani helped them. Also she was the team captain she should have thought about the menu and the time to cook all these dishes.

We were also not told how long the diners have to wait for the lobster bisque and the quails. I guessed they have to wait for a while (which may also contribute to them losing the challenge)

Now I don’t take what they said to the camera. Firstly it was done after the cooking and they are scripted to achieve certain objectives e.g. to make someone look bad, to try to make us believe that they are losing/winning etc

After saying all that, I am still watching LOL. May not watch the next series if it is going to be like series 3.

14 Emma { 07.07.11 at 10:24 am }

I mean, if you can’t whip cream or make a ganache … should you be in the top 8? Just sayin’. And that lobster bisque looked delicious.

I was gobsmacked when the red team won, although I was glad, given they were the underdogs and Dani, bless her, needed coming back down to earth, just a bit.

Also, Alana ♥

And Billy!!

So happy Billy did so well after coming back and for the millionth time, I wonder why Alana, who is lovely, sensible and can cook, is not given as much air time as others …. *cough* Dani, Ellie *cough*

15 akris { 07.07.11 at 10:35 am }

@Emma: Because they like Dani’s exaggerated commentary, Girly giggles, and occasional snide comments better. Argh!! Her and Allie so need to go..

I like Alana too. and Billy’s a much better cook than both of them..

I’d be happy to see Allie, Dani and Sun to go next please!!

16 littlepetal { 07.07.11 at 11:02 am }

@Akris To annoy you and me, Allie, Sun and Dani could be the Final 3 !!!!!!! If that happens, hubby needs to stand by for a new TV

17 JaniceG { 07.07.11 at 11:07 am }

@Emma: Unfortunately, “sensible” on reality TV shows is not a very prized attribute – producers would much rather showcase more vivid attributes that will arouse people’s curiosity and interest, and create more buzz.

18 Chunks { 07.07.11 at 11:19 am }

I’m afraid you’re right littlepetal. At this point in this seris I can’t see anything stopping Sun and Ellie being two of the final three. All you have to do to stay in the comp is not be able to cook…

19 Emma { 07.07.11 at 11:22 am }

True JaniceG. But if I was going to be more cynical, forget the word sensible; Alana is pretty and appealing. She is also a good leader and just happens to cook well (apparently an irrelevant skill on the current MC though). I’m sure a lot of both men and women would enjoy seeing more of her.

Having a bright, outgoing personality is always going to go well on TV or anywhere in life for that matter, but being deliberately loud and brash or sounding stupid just doesn’t appeal to me.

Dani’s good value sometimes but if you see too much of anyone they’re going to start to rub people the wrong way. I just think seeing more of everyone would have made a better show.

20 JaniceG { 07.07.11 at 11:40 am }

Emma – Don’t get me wrong: I’d much rather have Alana’s thoughts than many of the others. It’s a shame that producers don’t believe that there are viewers who actually value sensible!

21 Bruiser Brody { 07.07.11 at 11:52 am }

The Best Dish of the Series was…
Pork…cooked as
Pork
oh, and pork crackling (and for Preston, yes, that does qualify as cannabalism)

says it all really

22 Emma { 07.07.11 at 12:21 pm }

JaniceG It’s an undervalued personality trait IMO :)

By AnonyMousse: “When Ellie said ‘I may have helped my team being sent to elimination tonight’ I was thinking ‘well yeah, if by “helped” you mean “solely responsible” if it happens’.”

This! She also said, words to the effect: “whatever happens, at least I’ve learned a lot”

Er no Ellie. I mean imagine saying that if you inserted a nasogastric tube into someone’s airway instead of their oesophagus. “Oh well sucks to be you but at least I learned something!”

End nurse humour 😉

23 EH { 07.07.11 at 1:16 pm }

It seems Hayden always in the losing team and Sun’s team always win.

24 Fides { 07.07.11 at 1:55 pm }

If Dani didn’t have a pin, I wonder if she would have picked the same team. Because it’s no loss for her in any case, just that she’ll have to use the pin, but getting rid of the strongest competition would make it absolutely worth it.

Michael seemed the one making the sensible suggestions and trying to take some sort of charge – good on him. I want him safe tonight but don’t want any of the blues to go except for Dani. Kate might be in trouble because she says she’s never even faced the team elimination situation. Wow – has she always been on a winning team, or just not had to face elimination when it’s been a pick the two weakest links situation?

Alana made a great captain though her message for Ellie should have just been a general competence directive, or maybe “just don’t suck – have fun!”

But my lasting memory of tonight, apart from the beginning with Mat and the sad story that’s been revealed, is when Billy came back and Michael went to give him a hug, all I could see was two giant teddy bears having a cuddle. It was kinda cute.

25 Chunks { 07.07.11 at 1:56 pm }

So then the question is, is Hayden a jinx or is Sun a lucky charm? Hope everyone has the sense to steer well clear of gelatine in this elimination round.

Fides, I don’t think Dani is that clever. She just picked her mates or the people she thought were the safest bets.

26 brain dead dave { 07.07.11 at 2:14 pm }

Dani found out that having a mouth like the Grand Canyon and laughing a lot isn’t much help in a challenge. Lucky she’s been loaded up with an ammunity pin.

27 RarelySeen { 07.07.11 at 2:32 pm }

If memory serves correct, it was Johnno who stood by his team in the aliminations without using his ammunity pin MC2. I cannot see Dani doing the honourable thing here.
Again, it appears a couple of Steven Bradbury-esque http://www.stevenbradbury.com/ contestants in the field as noted by Fides, Chunks & akris.
Before the Matt Moran love-fest gets any further along, he comes across as a right bastard. First he’s an expert on lamb, then it’s peach blossom cakes then la la la. Ladies I don’t believe you’ll find that’s anything more than a salami he’s packing for your lunch in that suit.

28 Roo { 07.07.11 at 3:05 pm }

I thought MPW was great entertainment (best episode yet) and even my husband agreed he was sexy!
Always thought the red team would win being pitched as the underdogs and having less people… but I didn’t think they should have because that dessert looked very amateurish, thanks Ellie. And speaking of Ellie, how does Sun keep dodging a bullet? I don’t really want anyone to go tonight (except Danni who will use her ammunity) but it has to be Peter – he just should have listened.

29 JaniceG { 07.07.11 at 3:15 pm }

Roo: Actually, I thought Peter *shouldn’t* have listened… to Dani. Looked to me like his taking a little longer to prep them wasn’t the problem – the problem I saw was that when he wanted to put them in the oven, Dani specifically told him not to.

30 Fides { 07.07.11 at 4:13 pm }

@ Roo : I don’t think Sun is dodging bullets in the same way as Ellie is. She’s never been in the bottom 3 to face a pressure test, and her food has been regularly commended for its flavour. Apart from last night, there was the tortilla battle (admittedly, hers was not a tortilla but the judges much preferred her flavours to Peter’s), and although she struggled with cooking it, her lamb and damper on the farm battle were highly praised. Also, she did very well cooking the pork component in the team immunity challenge (it was Peter and Craig who stuffed it up). Ok, she completely sucked as a leader, and the toffee thing was a joke, and as much as her overly sombre demeanor makes her difficult to watch, I don’t think she is anywhere in the same league as Ellie in terms of ineptitude and cluelessness.

Plus she’s not cute and giggly, so her food really does have to do the talking.

31 littlepetal { 07.07.11 at 4:33 pm }

Sun must have done something right to be still in the comp. Don’t think the judges want her to win and like Fides said, her food must do the talking. She will be expose soon if Sun can’t cook as she has no where to hide now.

32 Mat Beyer – OK Let’s Get Some Closure On This | reality ravings { 07.07.11 at 4:54 pm }

[…] last night’s blog post on what happened on the episode, and while you are at it check out the Marco-Pierre White episode recap. OK enough of the blog […]

33 Sourkraut { 07.07.11 at 5:20 pm }

The look on Sun’s dial towards Ellie just b4 the judges announced the winner and Ellie was crapping on with her mea culpa spiel was priceless…. A warm caring person HO HO
So now Britain has a cwizzine…. biggest larf of the whole 3 series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34 Roo { 07.07.11 at 6:17 pm }

Fides and littlepetal – point taken re Sun. My perception was unfairly based on the fact that we rarely get to see what she has cooked.

35 smauge { 07.07.11 at 6:31 pm }

Hubby and I have loved Alana from the start. we haven’t seen enough of he cooking or her pesonality.

36 littlepetal { 07.07.11 at 6:53 pm }

Do like Alana. I don’t mind if Alana win. She will be a good winner as she is pretty, speak well and can write too (since she is a journalist). The whole package.

37 smauge { 07.07.11 at 9:55 pm }

You forgot Aussie Rules Footballer littlepetal! That was something that won hubby and I over!

38 Jenny Draut { 07.08.11 at 4:04 pm }

It took me a while to remember this wonderful blog.

why doesn’t anyone talk about Billy?

tall dark and hansome, ok ok might not be the last one, he is ok looking right guys??

39 smauge { 07.08.11 at 6:26 pm }

Billy Law?? mmm….nice guy…not sexy to me.

40 b2b marketing strategies 2012 { 04.24.13 at 2:20 pm }

Howdy! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs
up for the nice info you might have right here on this post.
I will probably be coming again to your blog for extra soon.

41 titanium carabiner knife { 04.27.13 at 10:22 am }

Hello! I simply would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the good
information you might have here on this post.

I might be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

42 daisy { 04.27.13 at 10:55 am }

Hi titanium, and welcome.