OPEN POST: Masterchef Australia – Who Is Going To Miss Going To NYC

There will be a belated recap or possibly no recap as I am out tonight at the launch of The Renovators. I will obviously report back if I manage to party pash host Brendan Moar….

Anyway Injera has a life and is out. But I bare no grudge and will pimp her blog, Les Vaches Du Tour, which unlike mine has gone global. It  is about the cows on the Tour De France.

Now just to whet your appetite about the New York episodes next week above is a picture of Billy and Alana in New York. Billy, Alana, Sun and Ellie are already got their tickets to NYC, and I wonder who the poor punter who is going to miss out by being eliminated tonight.

1 brain dead dave { 07.07.11 at 6:10 pm }

This NYC trip will be “the biggest single event in the history of Ma$terchef” according to the channel 10 voiceover dude.

They’re getting as desperate as the contestants now.

2 Pollywaffle { 07.07.11 at 6:17 pm }

Michael, the hairs simply not NYC material plus he’s run out of food heroes to fall about over

3 littlepetal { 07.07.11 at 7:02 pm }

Sorry to say that Peter may be the one not going to NYC. Very sad

4 brain dead dave { 07.07.11 at 7:11 pm }

*Michael’s cooking with fear style won’t cut it in the Apple.
* The night life/culture shock would kill him after Adelaide
* Bernie in Weekend At Bernie’s had more charisma than Michael.
*Like Pollywaffle says ,the hair. Fail.

5 AnonyMousse { 07.07.11 at 7:40 pm }

“While we’re enjoying our reward we couldn’t help but think about the team in elimination… and laugh. Suckers.”

Seriously, the ‘thinking about the other team’ line has gotten really, really, really old.

6 JaniceG { 07.07.11 at 7:56 pm }

Unfortunate that the blue team has the best cooks in the competition (except for Billy). Of all of them, I agree that I’d probably pick Michael to go: he’s had the most trouble withstanding pressure and I don’t see him making it until the end.

7 AnonyMousse { 07.07.11 at 8:42 pm }

My interpretation of the ending:

Gary: “We’re so sorry to see you go.”
Peter: “Well I’m not sorry to be gone. Later, suckers. Freedom! Bwahahahahahaha!”

Battle Fatigue seems to be setting in – Kumar, Billy and now Peter were all fairly happy to be eliminated.

Also, with the preview of them going around New York to get inspiration – wasn’t the same thing done in Glee recently? I hope the contestants don’t spring out into song in Central Park because no matter what teenage musicals have taught us, doing that sort of thing in real life is just asking for a punch in the face.

8 Pollywaffle { 07.07.11 at 9:21 pm }

Dani’s bound to invent the pastrami sandwich on a whim as she strolls past Katz Deli

9 MM { 07.07.11 at 9:38 pm }

Fav. line from tonight – or perhaps the whole series – Peter talking about the rice paper rolls …. ” Today I had to work with ones (indicating with hands) this big… when I am used to working with ones (indicating with hands) THIS big”…

10 dmc { 07.07.11 at 9:42 pm }

Feel a bit sorry for Peter. He basically cooked the second best dish in the first two rounds, and his apple pie was great.

11 PollyB { 07.07.11 at 10:00 pm }

Not sure that Dani’s strategy has done her much good. I like Peter but he did miss the mark in important challenges. The three ‘winners’ tonight should certainly see Dani out ahead of them.
AnonyMousse – My thoughts exactly regarding thinking about the other team.
The closer we get to the finale the more boring it is.

12 KC { 07.07.11 at 10:30 pm }

Its sad to say but I think I’m out. Me and my mum don’t find enjoyment in Masterchef anymore this season. Other than the cool chefs they brought in for challenges, this season’s been pretty bland especially with these contestants. I can’t believe a majority of them are still here and most people who I talk to agree that most of last year’s contestants would kick pretty much everyone’s butt now. I’m not too sad though because I no longer have to suffer through Dani’s arrogance and annoyingness, Ellie’s elimination invincibility when she’s pretty much crap at everything else and if she wanted to be a chef she should have done an apprenticeship, Sun’s incredibly boring voice and interviews and the blandness of everyone else.

Although I might watch the New York eps just to see other famous chefs :)

13 brain dead dave { 07.07.11 at 10:41 pm }

Dani – “I earned the ammunity pin”. Clueless.

14 Martinie { 07.07.11 at 11:02 pm }

Got to agree with you, KC, after this episode, my Mum and I too will not watch much more of this series (except maybe to see some amazing guest chefs!) I don’t even know who I’d like to see win this series, I was hoping Peter wouldn’t go tonight and was sad to see him leave – I thought he would win the steak round for sure, and he did pretty well overall. There are people still there who have slipped under the radar every week and should have been eliminated a while back. Damn the changing of the rules every week regarding eliminations. Masterchef has become a real joke this year, so glad there are a host of real cooking shows that I can enjoy on SBS!

15 EH { 07.07.11 at 11:41 pm }

I really like Peter. He is such a gentle soul. I can’t believe he is gone and SED (I picked up the term from Vogue forum. SED = Sun, Ellie & Dani) still in the competition!

16 JaniceG { 07.07.11 at 11:52 pm }

Well, so much for my predictive skills :->

Sorry to see Peter go – shame that we knew it was going to be one of the better people left. Glad that he seemed positive out of it, though. I must admit to having been faked out by the usual reliable Visine test: Kate’s crying in relief made that less reliable than usual!

Sun or Ellie making it to the Top Five would show just how bankrupt this season’s competition has been…

17 Doopliss { 07.08.11 at 12:02 am }

@AnonyMousse
The Glee finale was based in NY because the group reached the Nationals stage rather than going there for “inspiration”, but more or less, got some Glee vibes from the ads for next week of Masterchef. Although, looks like the production didn’t need to close off a large portion of busy NY for filming though – which does say a lot about how popular this bunch are!

It is a shame Peter is gone. But Dani was pretty clever, being a team leader AND having an “ammunity pin” put her in a position of power, similar to how Marion got booted off last year (when Adam used his immunity pin). She spares herself, and practically guarantees that one cook (who’s better than Dani, Sun, Ellie) is out of the Top 8. Smart move!
I’m looking forward to an Ellie and Sun elimination in NY! (I can only hope.)

18 littlepetal { 07.08.11 at 12:06 am }

Peter exit interview on news.com.

‘Peter Vickery, who was given the chop in last night’s episode, says that during his six-month stint in the MasterChef house, he suffered bouts of claustrophobia and cabin fever so severe that it was a relief when he was finally booted.

“I was going mad,” Vickery told news.com.au. “You can only work out and cook for so many hours in the day. I kind of lost it a little bit and said to the house parent, ‘I’m going crazy, I’m going absolutely stir crazy.’”

The 50-year-old account manager from Sydney said he became so distressed at one point that producers allowed him break competition rules to leave the house and go for a walk.

“I did have one day where we had no filming for three days and we’d just gotten to the point where they took the newspapers away, had cut off the free-to-air TV and we had no phone, no internet, no nothing, and I was climbing the walls,” he said.’

19 Jess { 07.08.11 at 12:39 am }

What’s a…house parent? . _ .

20 Jo { 07.08.11 at 12:49 am }

I liked Peter, such a gentleman. Sad.

21 Fides { 07.08.11 at 12:59 am }

My only hope is that pinless Dani gets eliminated in NYC – please please please please please.

22 Thomas { 07.08.11 at 8:26 am }

ERIC RIPERT!

Once again, keeping a group of adults in a near-prison for 7 months doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Yes they should drop their “thinking of the other team” line for the winners. Why can’t they just say “tough luck losers!”

23 NT Kate { 07.08.11 at 8:30 am }

If ever the judging was rigged on an epi this was it! And if ever a test showed up that even the best of this bunch are pretty hopeless cooking skills and bereft of any integrity, this was it.

Dani thinks about the fact that she is to blame and should take responsiblity – but decides no. Hope she goes next.

Got the right answer in terms of the worst of this bunch, but a bit of credulity stretching to get there (but perhaps they just needed another judge to be a bit more blunt – Gary and Justin were a bit too tight lipped!).

How come two of the four couldn’t even make a decent dipping sauce for their rice rolls (and one won the round despite that)?!

Round 2 and two of the three have no idea how long to cook a steak. Despite the fact that this issue brought a team unstuck way back earlier. Haven’t they been practising and learning?

And Hayden wins round 2 – allegedly because of a bit of silver foil on his bone!?! They could at least have said it was his sauce, or knowledge of how long it took to cook whereas the others were just guessing (wrongly in Kate’s case), rather than relying on such a flimsy line.

Ditto with Kate in round 3’s apple pie and custard challenge. Was Peter’s base undercooked as a result of failing to blind bake it? If so , they really needed to play this up a bit. Was his custard ok despite curdling? Seems like it, in which case seems like pretty good technique indeed…Still of the four, he has consistently been the weakest.

But really, can’t they just find a way of quarantining Kate, Hayden, and Michael for a while until they get rid of Sun, Ellie and Dani…

24 RarelySeen { 07.08.11 at 8:31 am }

Occurred to me that Dani was going to be lonely on the house couch as she waited for the others to return, but she had snaffled up hapless Allie for forced company. She alienated her friends, and then alienated the ‘best cooks’ by abandoning them for the pressure test. Looked like the pressure tests were groomed for particular contestants; Vietnamese rolls (Dani) Frenched bones (Hayden) , dessert (Kate).
Gritting teethe in preparation for George’s Big Apple analogies.

25 Paul { 07.08.11 at 8:59 am }

Sorry, can’t buy the Peter was forcibly exited conspiracy theory. He was very popular with the audience, presented well and spoke well. You’d want him in the final 3 if anything.

Judging was fine. Peter was unlucky to be just beaten both times. Shit happens.

26 EH { 07.08.11 at 9:38 am }

Regarding Peter’s exit interview about getting permission to go for a walk. Haven’t we seen Hayden running/jogging shirtless outside the house on TV? Is it an exception if have 6-pack abs and willing to run around shirtless?

Why do we hear so many complaints from this season contestants about the lock up and lack of communication as oppose to last year. Have the producers tighten the house rules further this year?

27 littlepetal { 07.08.11 at 10:13 am }

Maybe Hayden running outside was just done for the camera.

28 NT Kate { 07.08.11 at 10:33 am }

Whether the rules are tighter or not, they do seem pretty ridiculous. I mean permission for a walk; taking away all newspapers, tv and internet; ten minutes a week phne calls! What world are these producers living in, prison planet? If we thought this years contestants were a bad crop, it will be much harder to get anyone with any brains to sign up next year…

Paul – Peter did seem a nice guy, but in terms of appealing to the key demographics, an inner city latte drinker with a dream of making a country-farm change is so passe! Peter moreover is just not benefitting that much from this – he doesn’t want to actually cook at the end of it, but to farm; he keeps failing to listen to clients/chefs/anyone and relying on his own flawed judgment. By contrast Hayden, Kate and Michael are all much more telegenic, and seem to be learning something. In terms of potential to benefit from NY etc (as opposed to performance on the night!) theirs is much better, and I imagine that is what was really behind the judges thinking…

29 Thomas { 07.08.11 at 10:38 am }

Kate is telegenic… uh… maybe to the moms watching..
And Kate being away from her very young kids for almost 6 months now.. ouch. Must be painful for the family.
Michael is very much boy next door.

30 NT Kate { 07.08.11 at 10:39 am }

PS Kate deserved to win on the cream alone – she has learnt the fundamental lesson of MC, viz pander to the tastes of your judges/consumers, no matter how flawed they might be. A good and important lesson for anyone planning on going professional!

Peter went for ‘authenticity’ on a number of ocassions, and never seemed to realise why this strategy failed! Kate on the other hand knew that presenting a lump of fat and sugar (in the form of cream) was the way to Gary’s vote.

And after all this was why the Blue’s were in elimination in the first place. Because how else could chips and crackling beat out well prepared french cooking?!

31 JC { 07.08.11 at 11:19 am }

I’ve had a slightly mental blank but has Sun never been in an elimination challenge?

32 JRuth { 07.08.11 at 11:51 am }

JC – I think Sun has only been in one elimination: the team elimination after the Cronulla beach sausage sizzle challenge. From memory, that was the “genache-gate” elimination that saw Cleo eliminated, saving Sun who was easily the worst performer that day! I don’t think she has been in an elimination since…

33 sourkraut { 07.08.11 at 1:36 pm }

What a joke Peter eliminated because the judges didn’t cream their genes!
Peter’s steak LOOKED better than Haydens, but we cant have an old fart eliminating Mr abs or the girlies will all go apeshit.
Ma$terfarce has now played up to its own previous standards (same as previous seasons) of not eliminating the vast majority of the audience’s favourites regardless of cooking ability. First Cleo, then Kumar thenPeter. All the wrong demographics Humbug BAH!
Personally I no longer give a shit about who goes to No Pork

34 brain dead dave { 07.08.11 at 1:43 pm }

I must remember to chuck a PIECE OF FOIL into my dinner tonight.

35 Fides { 07.08.11 at 1:54 pm }

Hayden’s steak looked well past medium rare, but they didn’t linger on that did they? And Pete’s bone looked every bit as clean as Hayden’s even if he didn’t put foil on it. Reckon if Hayden had served it with the foil still attached (like Chris B in S1 with bone marrow), the judges would have still gushed about how cheffy it was.

36 brain dead dave { 07.08.11 at 2:13 pm }

Looks like Goldilocks is growing a moustache now. Is that “cheffy”?

As if NYC will miss a beat for the presence of an appallingly contrived,cheeseball farce in the guise of a cooking “competition”.

Australia’s best amata kooks.

37 alicia { 07.08.11 at 9:25 pm }

Masterchef is quite boring this season all contestants lack the talents and charm of the previous season. I do think that Matts incident made the ratings go up a bit but now its just the same. Its quite bland and i am not going to bother watching it any more

38 Pollywaffle { 07.08.11 at 11:24 pm }

Good to see Jimmy from season 2 on tonights Masterclass and really pleased that he learnt something from all that time in MC …. How to bounce like George

39 robbo { 07.09.11 at 1:59 pm }

Masterchef is boring this year because we are yet to see any dishes in the challenges that I feel like attempting myself at home. I would like to try Alvin’s black sesame dumplings but there is no way I am going to jump through all the hoops required to make them. This is not helped by not even seeing this year what any of the middle of the road contestants are attempting. If there are only three weeks left hopefully the level of interest will pick up and it will become more about the food rather than Dani’s tonsils.

40 littlepetal { 07.09.11 at 7:07 pm }

Pollywaffe- I thought I was the only one that noticed Jimmy bounce like George!!!

41 Thomas { 07.10.11 at 1:48 am }

Ooh Marcus Samuelson is gonna be on.. he won Top Chef Masters.

42 wulfruna { 07.10.11 at 2:13 pm }

Sorry to say Masterchef doesn’t seem quite so good this season.
Matt Moran was something special when he had limited visits to the Masterchef kitchen.To see Matt Moran on a more regular time slot spoils it for me.

43 JaniceG { 07.10.11 at 6:28 pm }

Finally figured out who Ellie reminds me of!