The Amazing Race – The Teams Are Cracking Up

I wonder if the producers saw any irony in having the race path going from Krakow to Israel. It was probably a road well travelled after World War Two.

The teams were off and racing with all of them catching up at Krakow airport, except for Dave and Kel who got lost on the way, and had to get on a later plane.

The interesting thing about this leg is you could really see how the constant racing was impacting on the teams. Particularly the two older people left in the race Dave and Jeff. They were both quite emotional and moody as they were so exhausted both physically and mentally.

Once in Tel Aviv they had to go up a sky scraper to receive their Roadblock clue. The roadblock was sending them 95 kilometres north to the port town of Haifa. Was this the longest way travelled for a Roadblock in any series of this show.

Nathan and Tyler who had had their money stolen on a train in the previous episode and were already looking worried their $50 for this leg of the race wasn’t going to get them very far.

On the train to Haifa Luke said he was glad Kel and Dave were not there as it was a respite from Dave’s energy. Also they mentioned some malicious behaviour. I wonder what that was all about.

The Roadblock was to put a container on a truck and park it. One thing I have noticed is a lot of the challenges have been pretty much male orientated. Last week the sawing challenge was just about brute force.

The Farmers had their truck licences, and Dave was a truck driver. However Dave was having difficulty with the challenge as he was so fatigued.

Jeff when he finished said to his son Luke “I did that for me and then for you” I kind of got the feeling that has been his parenting philosophy for most of Luke’s life.

The Farmers were the first out of the roadblock and back to Tel Aviv to find Old Jaffa. Β It was an interesting challenge next where one team member had to answer five questions about teams on the race, and then the other team member had to match them. The farmers were again first to finish. All the other teams struggled with it.

It was then onto the detour – with the choice of finding a key in the sand with a metal detector to open a box, or hit a ball to each other 13 times.

The farmer finished hitting the ball before anyone arrived and then they had to drive to Masada to the pit stop and were first to arrive. I will look forward to seeing next week’s episode to see how far in front of everyone they were.

Jeff and Luke were second, and even after Nathan and Tyler got horribly lost they were still third on the pit stop mat. The girls also went an hour or so the wrong way but were safe. I am not sure what happened to Dave and Kel as they implied that when they finished the detour they thought they could catch Sam and Renae but that could have just been crafty editing.

Dave and Kel didn’t get to the pitstop, as you can’t be on Masada at night, and Grant Bowler came to them at a cafe car park.

1 Kaylen { 07.12.11 at 12:50 am }

When the girls arrived at the Pit Stop, you could tell that it had moved elsewhere. I had wondered why! They must have also arrived just after closing, too.

With Dave & Kelly – I wouldn’t be surprised if they had intentionally lost, as they just seemed to… give up near the end.

Overall, I enjoyed it!

Loving the Farmers. πŸ˜›

2 AJ { 07.12.11 at 8:59 am }

A go0d episode, but I was a little surprised that neither of the challenges had anything to do with the country they were in. It was also interesting to see a “team work/team knowledge” challenge at this stage of the race since they often only seem to be used in the final legs (and then it’s more of a memory challenge instead of a “how well do you know each other” challenge).

Dave and Kel definitely seemed to give up on the way to the pit stop. Kel indicated that they were not far behind the girls, but it was pitch black when Grant met them at McDonalds whereas it had still been light when the girls checked in. I’m not sad to see them go as they were even starting to ruin my enjoyment of the series.

It’s been very interesting how many “self drive” components there have been since the male models had their money stolen. I have to wonder whether they were all planned or whether the producers quickly re-arranged some of the transport requirements to enable the male models to stay in the race even though they have little money.

3 EH { 07.12.11 at 10:12 am }

Saw the promo clip for next week. Wonder if Mo & Mos still in the race, will they carry the cross through Jerusalem or give up their chance to continue the race :p

4 AnonyMousse { 07.12.11 at 10:23 am }

@AJ – there’s been long drives on the legs since they got robbed, changing those would have required changing challenges at the last moment(unlikely). There was cab travel in this episode, and it must have sent them broke again as they had to beg for help to get out of the carpark

5 Chunks { 07.12.11 at 1:36 pm }

EH, I have to say I was wondering the same thing. Now we’ll never know. To be honest I think it’s a rather tacky task that shows poor judgement on the part of the producers and is bound to offend somebody along the way. Let’s see whether A Current Affair has a feature slamming it. Can’t believe that they didn’t have sneaking some arms through a tunnel into Gaza as one of the challenges.

6 EH { 07.12.11 at 3:11 pm }

@Chuck: It’s going to Buddism (Dalai Lama on MC) vs Christianity on reality TV next week! lol

7 PollyB { 07.12.11 at 5:28 pm }

Long drives since they’ve been robbed, but one could say the truck challenge was favouring T&M and Dave.
I don’t care who gets offended by the cross carrying. Good point re Buddhism on MC. More Christians than Buddhists watching that I’d reckon.
Go the farm boys.

8 David { 07.12.11 at 7:51 pm }

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Krakow-to-Israel thing was deliberate, since the Czech Republic visit was the only thing breaking up what was (essentially) an Amsterdam-to-Auschwitz train ride as well.

Re: Distance to the Road Block: Yes. The American version tends to have the Road Block clues at the site, and the only bigger distance we’ve had so far is the 300km trip back to the Detour in South Africa.

9 AnonyMousse { 07.17.11 at 2:47 pm }

Looks like the Amazing Race Australia has been renewed for a second season, and they’ve put up the applications page for entering: http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-amazing-race-australia/apply/

Good news – overall I think they did a great job on the first one (hopefully Grant will relax a little for the second season), so happy to see more.