The Block – The Bathrooms Are Judged – Rod And Tania Win

Polly and Waz say they were inexperienced at design, and they are also inexperienced in renovation. What can they do? I really like them but there is no way they will win this series of The Block.

Tonight it was time to judge the laundry and bathrooms, and after it being the Josh and Jenna show all last week all the other teams were hoping they wouldn’t be winning again.

The judges John McGrath and Neale Whittaker really like Josh and Jenna’s style which is modern with a retro twist. What held them back this week was the execution – a lot was unfinished the halogen light was falling out, one of the basin cupboards was dirty.

On the plus side they think they have a really good eye. Functionality of the rooms were very good, with good storage. They got 7 for design, and they only got a 5 for execution. If they had completed the room properly they would have given first prize a shake.

Polly and Waz  have continued to improve from the first week. The judges liked the lighting and splashback in laudnry. They also liked the matching splashback in the shower, however they would have liked it to have gone to the ceiling. They did not like the floral arrangement. Polly and Waz got a 7 for design and a 6 for execution.

Aimee and Katrina who had to sack their builder earlier in the week, think their bathroom is a bit funky and out there. The judges didn’t  like the check towels, and the black wall. They liked the tiles, but wondered why there was a mirrored kick board. As did I? They  also liked the vanity and the artwork. Design was 7, execution  let them down and they got a 6.

Rod and Tania  kept the swingers theme going with the disco lights in their laundry and bathroom.However the judges loved the storage in the laundry and the pull out ironing board. They also liked the stainless steel basin. However they liked he design aspect of the basin in the bathroom, but queried the practicality of it. I don’t like it as it appears you can’t fill up the basin. The bath was absolutely outstanding, except if there were water shortages. They also got 7 for design, and an 8 for execution, therefore they won the week.

Next week the teams have to do their master bedroom and ensuite.

1 Casper { 07.18.11 at 12:11 am }

Worthy winners this week. I honestly thought it was between them and Polly & Waz (They’ve improved so much). They may not have a chance of winning the whole thing but I love how they’re having a go. I didn’t think the sisters deserved to be equal second but third would have been fair, if you ignore the fact that they didn’t do any of the rooms themselves. Seriously what was the point of these two entering the show? It’s not called how to hire a crap load of tradies while you get your hair done. How many people that applied would loved to have the chance to get in and give it a go. Never liked these two whingers but that tonight has done me. Josh and Jenna would have really had a shot if they had been better at time management. “Modern yet with a sense of retro” was a bit of an oxymoron for mine though.

2 PollyB { 07.18.11 at 7:20 am }

If Josh & Jenna hadn’t run of time they should have won by a mile. Who is going to buy Rod and Tania’s place? That bathroom is so impractical. They’ve created a teenagers bedroom but he/she will have to wash themselves in the laundry sink. Useless. Will the sisters finish their house if they don’t win a room soon. Wasting money on things like a mirrored kickboard you’ve got to wonder.

3 Chookpea { 07.18.11 at 9:21 am }

Agree with Casper. I can’t believe she went to get her hair done. What the hell are the sisters doing on the show??

4 Maz { 07.18.11 at 9:38 am }

Given the number of times that Scott refers to them as the ‘sisters from the country’ and variations on that, one can only assume Ch9 are trying to appeal to their regional viewership.

The sisters really have failed to impressed.

I agree with Polly B, R&T’s bathroom is so impractical. Not only would you be replacing the carpet but the bathroom as well if you purchased that house.

Josh and Jenna should have won but at least they seem to have the Macca’s sponsorship.

5 Wurstsemmel { 07.18.11 at 9:42 am }

What was funny was it didn’t look any different – simply scraped back in a ponytail. Hair and shoe shopping….girls are making the most of being in Melbourne….but it’s a joke that they’re on the block.

I’m still frustrated that this show is again, like last year, focused more on the design rather than the renovation. The shag pile couple are at least hands on as is Josh but the others, it’s more just about getting someone in to do the work while you do your hair/go shoe shopping/make sandwiches. I want to see people actually doing most of the work themselves. Obviously, there are things they can’t do unless licenced to do so but they could definitely do more then they currently are.

I think Jenna and Josh would easily have won again if their execution had been a little better. Otherwise Polly and Waz. The flower thing was no big deal. Remove it. Simple. The vanity for the married couple…..personally didn’t find it attractive and thought it extremely impractical. Not liking their style at all. To my mind, the judges should be the ones wearing the Chump t-shirts.

6 AJ { 07.18.11 at 9:53 am }

The participants are certainly … unique this season. Polly and Waz are my favourite couple, but I don’t understand what they bring to the show other than being nice people. They don’t have any experience with renovations and every week their “design” is different and doesn’t correlate with any of their previous rooms.

I loathe the “design” of the married expert renovators with the shag pile carpet and completely impractical sink, but at least they’re consistent with their design and bring their own knowledge and skill base to the renovations (sometimes to their own detriment as seen by the number of times the husband was scolded by the site manager).

I don’t think the best team won this week, purely from a practicality POV. I just don’t see how anyone could easily utilise their sink. It would look great in a restaurant or nightclub, but it makes any number of tasks impossible when you cannot even “fill” the sink, there is no bench-space and the water splashes into your crotch area every time you turn on the tap (as demonstrated by Polly).

The inclusion of the sisters as participants annoys me for similar reasons as Polly and Waz, but at least Polly and Waz appear to be on-site most of the time and doing everything they can to assist their team of builders and tradesmen. The sisters seem to up and leave for personal grooming whenever they feel like it and their constant emotional breakdowns aren’t making for the most interesting television (although it’s better than the footage of them having their hair and nails done).

And I still have to wonder about the classification of The Block as a “renovation” show when the teams have already moved onto finishing off the newly built parts of their homes. Really, all they have to do is the “fit out” as the walls, floors and ceilings appear to have been completed for them. Sure, it’s still a challenge, but not as much as doing a “true” renovation where the old has to be repaired or replaced.

7 JM { 07.18.11 at 10:17 am }

I preferred Josh & Jenna’s bathroom but they didn’t finish it properly so didn’t deserve to win.

Loathe the Rod & Tania sink – not so much the stupid and impractical shape but the colour – more BROWN – what’s with all the brown – it’s so 70’s/80’s. At least they are doing a lot of their work. As much as I hated their mucky-looking brown sink I didn’t mind that they won.

Sick of the sisters going on about being “mothers” – if they’re mothers then why did they abandon their children for months on end?

8 sue { 07.18.11 at 10:40 am }

agree with JM…hated the brown sink- ugly & so impractical. the ironing board was a magic winning touch tho’. I wonder if the sisters are being edited badly- becoz their rooms do get finished and as far as I can tell- they haven’t hired painters etc Not sure about tilers- but yeah they seem to be more room finishers than renovators. I like Polly & Waz, and get the impression they do as much as they can- they just may not have many skills. If Josh & Jenna had finished off well, they would have definitely got my vote for a win.

9 Casper { 07.18.11 at 10:56 am }

Wurstsemmel – agree the judges should be wearing the chump t-shirts. Does anyone have any ideas for t-shirts the sisters should be wearing?

10 seepi { 07.18.11 at 11:21 am }

I think P9lly and Waz got on the show as they were hopeing they would be daring and out there – their room in the try outs was adventurous – the space bedroom for kids.

Unfortunatley as soon as they got on teh show they went for beige and grey….ick.

I liked the funky sink – totally impractical, but at least a bit interesting. Would have been better in white though. Surely you could put a =bowl under it if you really wanted to.

11 Carmen { 07.18.11 at 11:25 am }

I don’t understand why the ironing board was the winning touch – who does their ironing in the laundry, facing the bathroom or the hallway? I do my ironing in front of the TV, usually in front of the Block. We rent a townhouse done up in the 80s and have a fold out ironing board in the kitchen. It is in a bad location, poor quality from being folded up for 90% of its life and has not been used once in the 2 years we have lived there.

I love Josh and Jenna as a couple, I think they are so funny.

12 Bruiser Brody { 07.18.11 at 11:33 am }

i thought the pieces to the camera on MChef were the pinnacle of redundancy…
then i saw this show!
“then he gave us a 7 which we were happy about”
Scott Cam has got MASSIVE tickets on himself
Didn’t this show used to have actual tradies and stuff on it? Far as i could tell there’s the young couple who do the work, plus 3 other couples who pick out supplies and then just chill…

13 Casper { 07.18.11 at 12:04 pm }

Bruiser Brody – To be fair Rod and Tania (the older couple) do the most work themselves of all the couples. Polly and Waz help out their tradies where ever they can. Unfortunately uptil now that has not been very much at all (although they are such a lovable couple, they’re pretty damn useless in a reno situation).

14 sandra { 07.18.11 at 12:12 pm }

I was really hoping that Josh & Jenna would win… really liked their bathroom..

Not sure about Tod & Tania bathroom. That brown sink didn’t do anything for me… no bench space to put essentials. Dont know why judges chose them to win.

As for the sisters, I’m beginning to really dislike them. Fancy going off to the hairdresser.. its supposed to be a renovation show.. not a fashion show… They never seem to do anything & always have tradies to do everything. Agree with other comments that they should have never been on the show. They always seem to be so well-dressed up… When I was helping my partner renovate, my clothese were dirty etc. I just don’t understand why they are on the show..

really like josh & jenna!

15 Casper { 07.18.11 at 12:30 pm }

I’ve invented a drinking game to go along with watching the block. Every time the sisters whinge about their own situation or unduly praise themselves you have to take a shot and every time they are negative about the other contestants you take two. At the end of even the half hour episodes you’re guarenteed to be sh#t faced.

16 Wurstsemmel { 07.18.11 at 5:00 pm }

I think the sisters did their own painting of the black wall…..a finish worthy of the 60 minute makeover team. MASKing tape ladies, not facial MASKS.

17 Izobel2 { 07.18.11 at 5:53 pm }

Oh Wurstsemmel don’t u just LOVE 60 Minute Makeover!! My husband just loves Claire Sweeney. I reckon if I saw her out the front of the house I’d be thinking —- nnoooo what have they stuffed up in the last hour!! But if Claire was there my man wouldn’t care less about the shonky paint jobs etc!

18 Casper { 07.18.11 at 11:24 pm }

When Katrina told Aimee the wall paper was a photo of themselves, Aimee went” oh yuck….yuck”, “ewww…ewww”.
First time I’ve been able to agree with anything she’s said.