The Block – Did Katrina and Amy Do The Right Thing?

The whole of the episode was about who Katrina and Amy would be taking the $3000 from or if they would take it from anyone.

In the end they took $2000 of Josh and Jenna and $1000 of Rod and Tania. They didn’t take the money off Waz and Polly as they claimed they had no money and were in danger of going home. Like the producers would let that happen.

Polly and Waz and Katrina and Amy are spending more money on tradies as none of them are as hands on. Do teams with tradesmen in them have an advantage?

Josh and Jenna were unhappy, but really they must have expected it as they had won $10,000 from winning two rooms. Jenna I thought should have just let it go as it is a competition.

Anyway I think the real star of the show is Keith the foreman and it looks like he gets a staring role tomorrow night. I wonder if NINE would grant me an interview with him, as I think he would hold a lot of secrets about The Block.

1 Casper { 07.19.11 at 11:47 pm }

The sisters won a bit of respect back from me with that decision. Exactly what I had hoped they would do (ie, $1,000 from each room win).
Jenna and Josh behaved like the spoilt little rich kids I’d suspected them to be since the $250 cushion purchases. Jenna needs to grow up and realize life isn’t fair and this IS just a game after all.

2 Rocky { 07.20.11 at 4:22 am }

Jenna deserves all the bad that befalls her team. Karma is a……..Josh has it coming as well. He chose Jenna, no one is holding a gun to his head. It’s subjective who’s room is the best. I do not like Jenna and Josh’s aesthetic at all. Maybe they are trying to attract younger viewers. IE. Go to the garbage dump and furnish your house like Jenna and Josh.

3 Sharon { 07.20.11 at 5:47 am }

I think Katrina and Amie did the right thing, it was totally fair.
As for Jenna, she had her sights set on revenge no matter what, I hope Jenna realizes what a cruel, nasty piece of work she is and changes, for Josh’s sake as not even he can do a thing right.

4 Richard { 07.20.11 at 7:14 am }

Very fair…. $1000 off each room win. I think Jenna & Josh should think themselves lucky they didn’t get the whole $3000 off them.

5 sue { 07.20.11 at 8:06 am }

I agreed with their decision and how they worked it out. Jenna is a bit of a bitch methinks!!! :)

6 sue { 07.20.11 at 8:47 am }

i think the sisters showed maturity to all involved with the decision, had the shoe been on the other foot and it was josh and jenna they would have been vindictive to hurt one couple…. and i think that would have been polly and waz….. well done rod and tanya you lost graciously and paid the fine…. as for jenna she needs to put her gloves away. grow up and be nice, how old is the bitchy girl anyway….12

7 PollyB { 07.20.11 at 8:53 am }

I didn’t see any maturity in the sisters at all. They were acting like 14 year old bitches in the school yard. Seriously they are just dropping further down the scale for me.
Jenna & Josh had extra money cos they won for the work they have put in. Bad luck to the sisters and Polly & Waz if they have less money. It is a competition.
By the way, go Jenna & Josh.

8 AJ { 07.20.11 at 8:55 am }

I thought their decision was completely fair. They took $1,000 from each room win. It made sense to me and was fairer than taking $1,000 from each of the other teams.

What I didn’t like is that it took an entire episode to reveal their decision. Thank goodness I just record the episodes and can fast-forward through 18 minutes of crap and re-caps of previous crap to get to the 2 minutes of new footage.

9 Wurstsemmel { 07.20.11 at 9:01 am }

A fair decision. I thought they were going to take the lot of Jenna and Josh. I started off not liking Polly very much. I actually like her quite a bit now and I think Waz is just lovely.

Jenna needs to get over herself. Really. She’s just peeved because the boot wasn’t on the other foot and she couldn’t scheme on who to make suffer the most. She really has an unattractive personality and being on the Block isn’t doing her any favours.

10 Bern { 07.20.11 at 9:53 am }

I think the sisters did the right thing. Rod and Tanya aren’t bitching about what happened and I am sure that Josh and Jenna would have done something similar if the roles were reversed. Jenna is being a total cow about the decision. In fact if the roles had been reversed and they had had to take money from the other couples they would probably have taken the $3 000 from just one couple. Josh doesn’t seem to be behaving as badly as Jenna though.

11 Casper { 07.20.11 at 12:01 pm }

I think Josh is as bad as Jenna by standing back and letting her carry on the way she has. However I don’t believe it is due to him being a bad person in any way, just that it is apparently obvious Jenna wears the pants in that relationship and he seems too scared or intimidated to really stand up to her. Unfortunately I think we are witnessing what happens when children are placed into this type of situation and expected to interact with and behave like adults.

12 Lyndsay { 07.20.11 at 12:09 pm }

I have liked all of the couples since the beginning, but Jenna and Josh appeal to me most, for their style and the fact that they are closest to me in age. It should be noted that Jenna’s portrayal on the show has been really positive up until this point – everything she has said whilst on camera has been proactive, enthusiastic and fair since the show has begun. This week, there has been a lot more screen time on Jenna, particularly in the moments after something dramatic has happened – finding out they are $2000 down on their budget, for example. Anyone who has been in a situation out of their control, that has ended a little worse than you have hoped, will understand that things can be said in the moment that aren’t always the most sensible. Lack of sleep, heightened stress, uncomfortable living conditions would no doubt also contribute to this. I think filming Jenna “reacting” has been done purposely, by the editors of the show, to provide a lot more drama, to convey a sense of conflict between the couples, and perhaps to change the viewer’s perception of Jenna and Josh, the couple that have been arguably most successful – to shake things up. I don’t think anyone would take the news that their game plan has to change lightly, particularly in a competition like this. I would assume if it were me, my strategy would have to change completely if I have less money than I thought – judging by their budget per room, the loss of $2k will make quite a difference. More work, revised planning, more stress. Give the girl a break.

13 Lebay { 07.20.11 at 12:23 pm }

I love J&J’s style, and I love they way they handled the 2nd hand week, but I think Jenna has been a cow about this issue. I really have not been liking the sisters at all, they way they carried on during the second hand challenge was horrid. Having said that, I think they made the best of a bad situation with the $3000 and made the only fair choice.

The producers of the Block were very wrong to put anyone in that possition. If they wanted to create ‘villans’ they could have cast another Erin and Jake.

14 Casper { 07.20.11 at 12:26 pm }

Lyndsay – Sorry but your opening statement “but Jenna and Josh appeal to me most, for their style and the fact that they are closest to me in age” hardly conveys your further comments as unbiased.
You also state “It should be noted that Jenna’s portrayal on the show has been really positive up until this point” yet I think you would be hard pressed to find too many people that would agree with the way she has treated Josh at times. If speaking to your partner the way she has on a number of occasions is nothing but positive and acceptable then I pity your generation.

15 Lyndsay { 07.20.11 at 12:48 pm }

Casper – fair enough – thanks for your response! I certainly don’t feel I am unbiased, I was simply stating my opinion. Please don’t despair for my generation based on some comments on a blog and a couple on a reality television show πŸ˜‰

16 Reality Raver { 07.20.11 at 1:13 pm }

My favourite is Waz. Who do I want to win at this stage of the competition. Josh and Jenna, or Rod and Tania.

17 Casper { 07.20.11 at 1:31 pm }

Lyndsay – My apologies for the generalisation about gen y. Although I do feel pity for them this is due to much more than just your comments and one couple on TV but I’ll leave that for the psych blogs.
My point still stands that the way Jenna treats her partner is not acceptable for anyone at any age and anyone who does feel it is ok, in my opinion is wrong.
A side note for you to consider in future is that a double negative makes a positive. I did understand what you were trying to convey though.
RR – Personally I wouldn’t want to see Josh and Jenna win but I don’t think anybody could begrudge them winning as they would be as deserving as anybody else due to the fact that like or loathe them, they are very good renovators.

18 PollyB { 07.20.11 at 5:26 pm }

RR, yeah, I like Waz too. He’s coming across as a real sweetie, no maliciousness or self pity. Polly seems OK too. Still Josh & Jenna for mine :-)

19 Charlie { 07.20.11 at 5:28 pm }

I Think They Made A Fair Decision It Wasn’t Easy Either But Jenna Acted Like A Baby!

20 Keith { 07.20.11 at 7:17 pm }

I once had respect for Scott cam but anyone who could set such an unAustralian situation deserves little if any respect. The Block has lost me for good as has any other show or advertiser of Scott. The girls should have refused to play his dirty little game.

21 Casper { 07.20.11 at 7:23 pm }

Keith – do you really think Scotty Cam decided that would be the situation. He’s a presenter not a producer. Why was it “unAustralian” (a vastly over used term imo).

22 George { 07.20.11 at 7:43 pm }

Meanwhile, how the heck can Polly and Waz pay for a bath, shower toilet fittings and bedroom furnishings and trades for $3000??

They are soooo cheating!

23 Casper { 07.20.11 at 7:57 pm }

George – the contestants have WAY more money than we are led to believe. I don’t know if the contestants are aware of it or not but if you look at the budgets on the block site they all have over $70,000 left from a total budget of $100,000. Maybe they will be given it in dribs and drabs over the next few weeks, I don’t know. The producers are’t going to let any of the couples sink halfway through.

24 sue { 07.20.11 at 10:05 pm }

seriously Keith- do you really think Scott Cam directs and-or produces the show??!!! get real

25 akris { 07.20.11 at 10:15 pm }

@George: I agree it all sounds a little suss, especially when their building/project manager is there the entire time.. surely then he would get paid even more for dual roles..? Who knows..

I kinda missed some of the show.. so J&J was stressing about money and then it turns out they still had $16K?? Did I hear that right?

Also, I thought Josh was being a total idiot about not moving the stuff when Keith told him too… They should’ve taken the amount of money he wasted from his budget… or at least threatened too.. that would have got him moving faster

26 PollyB { 07.20.11 at 10:34 pm }

I stopped watching this, and MC, half way through my recordings and watched spicks n specks. So much more enjoyable, LOL enjoyable! However, I’m back to the block, and not to the end yet. What a crock of fucken shit. Keithy baby, playing the big bad foreman. FFS, I’m a manager, not on a worksite/labour site, and know if you are a good manger when you have the plans, you notify people in advance. If they then don’t respond to that notification they are in the shite. So the producers are doing a MC, and setting it all up. And good on Josh. Fuck Keith, he is playing the producers game for them. He needs to be black banned from every union site hereon in for the game/fame he is playing, in front of 100,000’s. They knew months before where the gas pipes were going, and Josh knows that. It is not a union site so fuck off with the bullshit.
I never got into ‘reality tv’ so much before and this is why. Manipulation of the idle minds of the willingly dumbed downed masses. Pffft.

27 Jules { 07.20.11 at 10:39 pm }

The contestants have vouchers for various stores to get the STUFF and the cash is to pay the tradies.

28 PollyB { 07.20.11 at 11:02 pm }

Whoops, that should have been –
‘Manipulation of the idle minds of the willingly dumbed down masses. Pffft.’
Geez, proving to be a dumbed down mass! πŸ˜‰

29 nittywitty { 07.20.11 at 11:27 pm }

http://leilahandlyla.blogspot.com/2011/06/block-2011-sneak-peak.html Regarding this link, does anyone know what that judging is about? Is it for a room , the exterior , whole house or what.

30 Casper { 07.20.11 at 11:56 pm }

Polly B – I highly doubt Keith would be banned from any site, union or not due to tonights episode. Josh won’t be banned either but it is likely he would be warned about talking back and refusing to follow the site foremans instructions on some sites he may work on in the near future. If he did that to the site foreman on a regular site he’d probably just be dismissed from the site for the day. It really wasn’t that big a deal.
nittywitty – have no idea what the judging mentioned on that site is about. Sorry.

31 Lisa { 07.21.11 at 1:43 am }

I think the fact that teams had money taken off them is ridiculous in the first place. Yes, it’s a game, but it’s unfair if you win a challenge (or in this case, a room) and a portion of that money gets taken away from you for no good reason. If I had $2,000 taken off me, I would have been just as upset as Jenna. I don’t blame her for getting so mad. The show shouldn’t have allowed a challenge to exist if they couldn’t get some funding for it from a company. I just think it adds way too much unnecessary negative drama.

32 Casper { 07.21.11 at 1:51 am }

Lisa – I’m pretty sure the idea was to create some drama. Uptil now all the couples have gotten along pretty well compared to previous seasons.

33 Lisa { 07.21.11 at 2:09 am }

Yeah I know, but I just think it was a really terrible way to go about it. I think you can still add drama without resorting to taking other people’s prize money.

34 Emeree { 07.21.11 at 5:05 pm }

Casper, I think you’re a bit bias and twisted the logic here. First of all, in the “The Block” scenario, Josh is the owner of the house and doing a bit of work himself, the producer acted on behalf of the contestants hired Keith to oversight the project, he is not Josh’s boss technically speaking, Keith cannot order Josh what to do (other than OH&S and rules). Like PollyB said Keith knew where the gas pipes were going and yet he stuffed it up by putting the plasterboards there. In normal sites, Keith will get a kick in the butt and has to organised someone else to remove the plasterboards. Secondly, Keith was really childish by calling off the guy who was helping Josh saying he doesn’t need any help and continue to to dig Josh even he has already moved on.

35 Casper { 07.21.11 at 5:29 pm }

Emeree – Firstly, Josh placed the sheets there not Keith and as I said earlier it was Keiths stuff up not informing Josh when he saw Josh putting them there. I don’t know if you’ve ever worked on a site but I worked as a gyprocker and wet sealer for years. I’ve never been on a sight where this would be acceptable. If I ever ignored a foremans request to move sheets or any other equipement, materials, etc I have no doubt it would have been my ass that got kicked. It’s not a matter of who was acting childish as it is pretty obvious they both were at times. It’s a matter of hierachy. As for Keith being childish by calling the guy off, it was Keiths worker he called off not Josh’s. Neither let it go but that’s what happens sometimes during heated arguements.
In your opinion then, who should pay the wages of the guy who had to wait around two days doing nothing while this drama unfolded?

36 Casper { 07.21.11 at 5:44 pm }

I’ve never been on a sight (sic)* site.

37 Block Fan { 07.22.11 at 9:29 pm }

I think the sisters did the right thing in a difficult situation with who they took the money off. Jenna had a typical pouty, nasty schoolgirl type reaction (wouldn’t have expected anything less from her!). She is coming across as more and more nasty, and unfortunately Josh is looking that way as well. Polly and Waz are turning out to be great people and they are a lovely couple – always supportive of each other and able to have a laugh even when it gets stressful – unlike Jenna and Josh who are more likely to bitch at each other and fall apart- it might not bode well for their long term relationship prospects methinks. Tanya and Rod are obviously a solid couple who have their shit together. I am getting less keen on the sisters after how badly they have treated and barked orders at their poor tradies…crying and shouting doesn’t really cut it on construction sites! As for the incident with Keith –Josh came off looking like a right prat on national TV.

38 Rocky { 07.23.11 at 2:52 pm }

I think Josh’s real side came out when he was , rightfully called on the carpet by the foreman. We saw J&J’s site look like an accident about to happen on many occassions. This wasn’t the first. They like to brag about all the room they have, well why so many sloppy areas in their space, as opposed to the others with less room to spread out and work? The proof is in the fact that if Josh was such a great person, why would he be with a screeching howler monkey like Jenna? Why because he s as big a hole as she is.

39 PollyB { 07.23.11 at 5:12 pm }

Casper, of course I don’t think Keith would be banned from any building site. I think he should be cos he has bolted across the line from foreman to actor. My point as above – ‘They knew months before where the gas pipes were going, and Josh knows that’ – so why weren’t the contestants told from day one. Because this is completely scripted reality tv. And don’t forget, edited to keep the viewers watching. First it was the sisters bitching, now it’s J&J. This viewer, however, is watching less and less. But she still wants J&J to win!

40 Carol { 07.29.11 at 12:22 pm }

Josh and Jenna are awful people and they need to get over themselves. The way Josh spoke to Keith was totally unforgivable and he definitely showed his true colours. I cant help but wonder if the whole thing is rigged and very biased. I do not agree with the wins so far and I feel very sorry for all the other couples.