Masterchef Australia – Hayden Is Cracking

I think Hayden is starting to get out of his depth. Tonight he struggled, in fact the highlight of the episode was the look on Kate and Michael’s faces when they were watching Hayden make his dish. That was priceless.

They both had a WTF are you making looks on their faces with his Japanese/French fusion dish. He was making salmon with a ponzu and beurre blanc sauce.

Hayden as the blue team captain was facing off against the captain of the red team, Alana in a mystery box challenge. The winner would gain an advantage in the team challenge.

The red team was Alana (captain), Ellie and Dani. The blue team was Hayden (Captain), Kate and Michael.

The mystery box had a lot of ingredients in it, but the kicker was the 20 minute time frame. Alana got straight into it with her tea smoked salmon salad, with a champagne foam, whereas Hayden prevaricated and wanted to consult with his team mates. They told him to go with his gut instinct.

I am not sure where he got the idea from but no one was liking it.

The judges were also sceptical about the blend, and even though the salmon was cooked perfectly, they told him if you are querying something you already know the answer. Basically he should have ditched the beurre blanc sauce.

Another highlight of the mystery box challenge was Kate saying after she hugged Hayden “you are hot” the quickly said “…temperature” just in case her husband or the viewers thought she was getting saucy with the lifesaver.

Alana was told her  salmon had  a burnt sugar flavour however Gary loved all the other elements and she won the challenge and the advantage for her team.

The challenge was to cook in the Qantas First Class lounge at Sydney Airport, with the red team cooking first for 90 minutes and then blue team cooks for 90 minutes. They had to have the food out in 20 minutes.

At first I thought it was real first class passengers, but is the First Class lounge that busy all the time? And mysteriously when the blue team started their service all of Ellie’s dockets had disappeared and Kate only had to do the new ones. Also service finished when the blue teams time was up. However I would have thought it difficult to shut down the lounge for four hours. So who knows.

The red teams advantage were going in first, and the blue coming into their food stations after them. Michael was worried because Dani and Ellie are messy cooks. Ellie was chasing her tail the whole time, Alana and Dani did well. Well after Dani had stopped burning the burger buns.

The judges were Alan Joyce, Neil Perry and Matt Preston, who was wearing a plaid suit. Not very sartorial, but maybe that is what one wears in a first class lounge.

Alana nailed the snapper with beetroot risotto. Her and Michael are really hitting their straps.

Dani’s club sandwich was described as disappointing, and Ellie was getting in a flap and stuffed up the order of pork belly for the judges, as she only plated up two and once she got out the third one she had busted the 20 minute time limit. However Alan Joyce, Neil Perry and Matt Preston liked the flavour. Personally I am not sure I could stomach deep fried pork belly that is like fat on fat.

Dani’s steak and frites was given the thumbs up.

Hayden was having a disaster the snapper he sent it out burnt on the outside and raw in the middle. Matt Preston was perplexed on how this could occur. However Michael’s club sandwich was better than Dani’s, and so was Kate’s pork belly salad. However Michael’s steak and frites was over cooked.

The red team won even though they busted the stated time period, as their food “thumped” the blue team. Hayden, Michael and Kate are up elimination tomorrow night.

1 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 4:40 pm }

CB from memory that might have been Natalie Gauchi’s year,which I blogged on and “dud” just about covers it.

2 Jo { 07.21.11 at 4:52 pm }

I agree with those who said that on the show, the contestants are “characters” and our views would be different on them if we met them in person. Sun was copping some flak at the Vogue forums for being grouchy, but when she herself started posting there again everyone was quite nice and made it clear that they were dissing the TV-edit-character Sun.

The negative comments would no doubt hurt them but probably not as bad as we think. To go on the show, they’re probably extroverts and have a fair bit of self confidence to begin with. Rachel said in an interview that you need thick skin because it’s hard being told your dish is crap and knowing that the rest of Australia is listening. She said you need to “suck it up” which I imagine is what they all do, or else they’d have crumbled by now.

3 Culinary Boner { 07.21.11 at 4:58 pm }

Rachel? Suck it up?
Why am I suddenly unable to get up from my desk?

4 Fides { 07.21.11 at 5:02 pm }

CB – I thought Idol 3 winner was Kate D’Araugo? Thought Nat Gauci was after they decided to let contestants use their own instruments etc and she often used keyboard.

5 Fides { 07.21.11 at 5:03 pm }

Sorry, that last post should also be to BDD.

6 Casper { 07.21.11 at 5:05 pm }

CB – you could always get up and say “look ladies, no hands”

7 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 5:09 pm }

It’s not Sun’s fault that she was portrayed as Ronald McDonald with constipation.

One can despise Hannibal Lecter but that shouldn’t extend to Anthony Hopkins. All the world’s a stage and Ma$terchef are experts at staging.

8 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 5:14 pm }

Thanks Fides, I forgot all about Kate D’ Ahuge.

I feel like a total Legohead.

9 Pollywaffle { 07.21.11 at 5:15 pm }

Its been a bad time for rangas….
Sun
Julia Gillard
The chick from News of the world….
Scary about who might be next?

10 Pollywaffle { 07.21.11 at 5:19 pm }

Does MC have a ranga clause – that we need one per season to meet our diversity targets?
Sun
Claire
and possibly a pale red headed bloke that once spurted foam everywhere?

11 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 5:20 pm }

Fatty Vautin? Bert Newton nearly bought it.

12 PC { 07.21.11 at 5:39 pm }

I’m not sure about all the criticism of the contestants. It’s a tv reality show with real people who do have feelings.

When it comes down to it, there is only one reason why people feel the need to put other people down and that is because they feel that the person is superior to them in some way. If you don’t like yourself much then you will look for people to criticize and put down because it helps to build up your own superiority and makes you feel good about yourself. Actors and tv personalities are easy fodder for this as we aren’t ever likely to meet them so hey let’s go to town and pick at them to death.

There is seriously something wrong with society when we think that just because someone is on tv that they should simply accept this sort of treatment as part of the job.

If you truly liked yourself you wouldn’t feel the need to put other people down. Instead, you would appreciate their abilities and realize that they are human beings and not perfect.

13 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 5:48 pm }

If you truly liked yourself you wouldn’t feel the need to put other people down for putting other people down.

Comments on a trivial reality television show are exactly that and throwing in some pop psychology and wider reflections on society is just a little bit overcooked.

14 Thomas { 07.21.11 at 6:08 pm }

Paul – Thank you for all of your comments.

15 Chunks { 07.21.11 at 6:17 pm }

Ronald McDonald with constipation. Heh.

16 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 6:29 pm }

Catch yaz after the show, ya pack ‘o legoheads.

17 Casper { 07.21.11 at 6:32 pm }

RR – Is the topic of your TD article sideburns by any chance?

18 Fides { 07.21.11 at 6:34 pm }

PC : I’m guilty of comparing contestants to dog breeds and dinosaurs for starters, so I will turn the tables on myself : I have been told that I am a cross between an labrador and an eager drug sniffing beagle (so I’d be what – a beaglador? A labreagle?) and it’s been in good fun. And I probably run like a drunk stegosaurus, except that I am bipedal, even drunk. I’m not secretly envious of these reality show participants and needing to boost my self esteem by mocking them.

And besides, I don’t think people who regularly comment on this blog are being particularly nasty. I have read some hateful psycho posts, but not here.

BDD – yes Kate D and season 3 idol was pretty forgettable (I’m embarrassed that I remember) … and I’m quite satisfied I am not feeling insecure about my own vocal talents by saying that.

19 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 6:42 pm }

I dislike myself so much now that I’ll have to go to Dan Murphy’s and get a bottle of booze to get through tonight’s cheesefest.

Why cook when you can inebriate?

I don’t mind which legohead goes tonight..It’s all good.

20 Fides { 07.21.11 at 7:03 pm }

I would prefer the golden legohead to get booted tonight. And just so it doesn’t sound mean, it’s because I think he has so much potential outside the MC kitchen. He should be out there already, advertising protein bars, ab machines, underwear, hair product. And pursuing his his travel/cooking show dream if that’s what he still wants. The world is his oyster.

21 davsimp { 07.21.11 at 7:08 pm }

I want the glasses legohead to go because I am jealous of her. My specs are nowhere near as trendy as hers.

22 dmc { 07.21.11 at 7:18 pm }

I have to agree with those who don’t particularly like the personal criticisms. Unlike past seasons, I actually quite like all the remaining contestants. I don’t blame Dani for still being in the competition, I just think she’s been incredibly lucky. Still think she hasn’t shown much cooking ability though – certainly not to warrant ‘one of the top amateur cooks in Australia’. Alana and Michael for the final (maybe Kate as a wildcard). Hayden to go tonight, then Allie next week.

23 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 7:38 pm }

What about the legohead that bawls when a celebrity chef enters the room? He’s a disgrace to SA. Geez ,I wish I could $hit myself like him.

24 AnonyMousse { 07.21.11 at 8:12 pm }

Okay, I admit it. I am jealous. I wish I could unhinge my jaw mid-laugh like Dani can.

25 Toby Tom { 07.21.11 at 8:14 pm }

Before Hayden goes tonight, he does his cooking half naked using only his abs, just so the producers can get some extra eyeballs and market him further.

26 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 9:07 pm }

I’m jealous I’m not fat and $weaty like Julie Goodwin.

27 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 9:26 pm }

god this site is slow to get started its 9.23 and nothing about tonights eviction of Hayden yet snap to it was really keen to see what everyone thought. it should be up and running through it or at least straight after if this is the leading reality raving blog then Im a monkeys uncle or otherwise it is very difficult to get onto the blogs should be simple

28 Casper { 07.21.11 at 9:29 pm }

Bosco – we’re hiding from the evil radish.

29 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 9:30 pm }

You’re a monkey’s uncle. Have a banana and be patient.

30 littlepetal { 07.21.11 at 9:31 pm }

You guys are funny here. Hayden can’t be in Bondi rescue. His running is so girly. He did it again in the kitchen tonight !!!! Nothing against Hayden but he is getting so nervous and he panic when the judges question his dish or technique. He doesn’t have confidence in himself.

31 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 9:34 pm }

wasn’t a show about legohead but still had to sit there and listen to her ramble on she makes me cringe I honestly can not stand her. Im not watching final even semi finals if those (dani, ellie) two are in it because they are just treating us viewers as if we are narrow minded idiots. And Paul if you dont like the critisism then dont read it everyone is open to an opinion just like you. These people open themselves up for critisism the minute they signed on the dotted line to go on this show we as a viewer have the right to express our opinion of what we are subjected to on the idiot box.

32 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 9:38 pm }

brain dead you have a banana I’ll finish my beer lol nasty nasty brain dead just voiceing my opinion

33 Casper { 07.21.11 at 9:38 pm }

Monkeys are so 2010. This year it’s all about the orangutans. 😉

34 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 9:38 pm }

He needs the Commando from Biggest Loser to help put some grunt into that running style.

Bananas are 14 bucks a kilo here ,so I got some Jim Beam instead.

35 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 9:50 pm }

So who’s going to sign on the dotted …………… line and tune out if its down to Dani and Ellie in final this will blow there rating and really fu@# them up come on lets put our money where our mouth is or bananas or JB or VB

36 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 9:55 pm }

I’d put my money where Dani’s mouth is but it’s just too big and I’d run out of cash.

I’ll have the tv on but sound off and drown the dialogue with music and refreshments.

37 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 10:06 pm }

nice one brain dead that mouth is bloody big did ya get a look at it when it laughs my god could fit a huge &&&&& um truck in there park the car and the caravan. I know this is not nice but god she has asked for it.
Speaking of refreshments must go get another.

38 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 10:12 pm }

putting nrl tips in whos going to win with tigers v roosters tigers home ground Im a roosters supporter?

39 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 10:13 pm }

Last time I saw a mouth that big it was on a Murray Cod.

40 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 10:20 pm }

Take the TAB fav,Bosco.I watch NRL but don’t know enough about it.

Can help with AFL as I’m running 1,500 in 81,000 tipping l comp.

41 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 10:22 pm }

or a groper, brain dead ok going with the mighty roosters ho ho ho lol

42 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 10:24 pm }

cock a bloody doodle do

43 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 10:28 pm }

Then I take it you dont back Port Adelaide lol yep Im an avid Port power girl embarrasing as it is :p

44 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 10:37 pm }

They could beat Adelaide this weekend, haven’t decided yet ,pending weather etc. Port’s record in these Showdowns is really good no matter where these teams are on the ladder.

45 Bosco { 07.21.11 at 10:40 pm }

well I wont put my life savings on it they are absolutely shocking this year

46 Olly { 07.21.11 at 10:48 pm }

I think Pauly needs a teddy bear hug. People can be so unkind sometimes…

47 brain dead dave { 07.21.11 at 11:02 pm }

I think it’s better to put one’s life savings on a horse than a footy team. Two weeks ago a punter put 1mill on Geelong to beat West Coast to win $90,000. Gonski.

Saw a lot of Port Adelaide games at Alberton in70’s. Autograph hunter,they’re now extinct.

48 Reality Raver { 07.22.11 at 1:47 pm }

Bosco – maybe you should substitute the word leading reality TV blog to only reality tv blog. But send me a nanny and I will do more timely posts.

Casper – Sorry my short term memory is crap my TD post? what am I referring to?