Masterchef Australia – 500,000 Girls Weep

If you want to what happens when you lock people in a house together for six months with limited access to the outside world watch the last ten minutes of tonight’s episode of Masterchef Australia.

After the elimination of Hayden,  young girls everywhere were following Michael’s lead and weeping.

I think it is great that Hayden and Michael are able to express their emotions and care for each other, but really did we need a five minute farewell scene including a speech.

They will only be apart for a few weeks, it was not like either of them were going on a tour of Afghanistan.

Tonight whoever went home was always going to be considered a shock.  However fans of pin-up boy Hayden may not have to wait long to see him back on our screens as he is already in talks with a TV production company for his own TV show. They didn’t say whether if it is cooking related.

I am still not getting the Hayden love, is he that charismatic? I much prefer Dani’s personality. Hayden is quite stilted to camera, even though he got a lot of a camera, and tonight was no exception.

He is one of the lucky ones this year as he has gained a profile out of Season 3, but it hasn’t been because of his cooking.

Tonight the challenge was to cook anything you want but it must show new ideas, and technique.

Michael cooked Sous Vide chicken with Crispy Chicken Skin with pea puree. It looked delicious.

Matt Moran said “Chicken was incredibly juicy, however end bit was overcooked.” He also thought the chicken skin is insanely good and the pea puree is seasoned perfectly.

Of course Gary Mehigan loved the chicken skin, that man needs to go to saturated fats anonymous.

It is interesting to see Michael was clean shaven in his too camera pieces but had a five day growth during the challenge. Must have been filmed the next day.

Hayden made Sesame Encrusted Coral Trout with tapioca pearls. Matt said the crust to die for, and fish is perfectly cooked. However he thought the sauce was very salty and the tapioca is very bland so needed that saltiness.

Gary said the sesame crust is delicious, but he thought daikon radish was very salty. Hayden had forgotten to wash it. He may have dodged the elimination bullet if the judges had not tried it, as Matt Moran had not.

Kate presented stuffed squab with parsnip puree and jus gras. Matt Moran said “it is hard to cook, and you went out there to give us something special to eat.”

Gary said it was perfectly cooked, but parsnip had a bit of woody taste.

Kate was safe, and then after they drew out the tension as long as possible Hayden was told he was going home. If you need a Hayden fix then check out his website that must have gone live tonight at http://www.haydenquinn.com.au/.

1 Culinary Boner { 07.22.11 at 9:56 am }

Finally, finally some decent cooking. Though Hayden does seem to have an odd flavour-texture sensibility. Tapi-bloody-oca! FFS! Them’s little flavourless balls of mush barely make a half-decent dessert, let alone a sound base for a fish dish.
Kate’s looked the killer dish. Pigeon (and guinea fowl for that matter) are superb if cooked properly. Now that pigeons are no longer required to carry mesages across battlelines, it’s a good reminder that these flying rats can be put to some use plus given some pay back for crapping on us commuters at train stations. In the interests of animal welfare I demand they free the battery chooks and breed pigeons to take their place. Now if only Indian Mynah’s were edible…
Lol at the Brokeback Mountain comment.

2 NT Kate { 07.22.11 at 10:12 am }

Good episode in as much there was actual real cooking. Though why we had to wait until an elimination for that…

And for once the editing wasn’t over the top with hints as to the outcome.

To me, Hayden’s dish actually looked the most original and interesting, the genuine display of a learning curve. In my view the judges were right to question Michael’s using a chicken in my view when all sorts of other interesting ingredients were available. And what new techniques did it display – he learnt sous-vide from a cookbook he said, and still managed to overcook it?! Also Michael’s seemed awfully similar to a couple of past MC endstage dishes from Callum and Julie.

At least Kate’s looked nice and clearly well-prepared, but her stuffing was the main element and not especially original. And stuffed up cooking her one vege too…

Pity Hayden forgot to wash off the pickle, but personally, I would have still given it to him over Michael’s overcooked and boring chicken.

As for Michael’s display at the end – a bit creepy really. I thought Hayden looked pretty uncomfortable at all the over the top bromance (or whatever) stuff occurring on camera. As you would, regardless of the actual state/nature of your relationship!

Poor Michael, alone now amongst the monstrous regiment of wimmin!

Oh well, Ellie to win…

3 JaniceG { 07.22.11 at 10:41 am }

@Toby Tom: Thanks for mentioning the Dani comment :-> We fast-forwarded through that part.

@Joseph: I thought the difference between the girls greeting Kate’s return and their greeting Michael was especially striking.

@Reality Raver: I’d be happy with anyone in the final who isn’t Ellie or Dani.

4 Suzanne { 07.22.11 at 10:44 am }

I still (after 3 series) don’t understand why some eliminations are conducted more formally (for want of a better term) compared to last night’s style of elimination.
Not that I’m complaining – the oh so tedious questioning of food dreams, reason for being on MC, etc is excruciating to watch, but I just don’t get the two different elimination formats. One (last night’s format) seems way more casual than the other.

5 Chunks { 07.22.11 at 10:46 am }

Heartbroken, but I’ll get over it. Hayden does have a very odd palate, one that would prevent him becoming a great chef I suspect. On a sadder note, there is now a two in five chance that Dani or Allie will be Australia’s next Masterchef…

6 Fides { 07.22.11 at 11:36 am }

JaniceG, Joseph – yes Michael’s welcome was strange. Like the others were really stunned, and never expecting Michael to best Hayden – guess no one would have picked Michael to be the alpha male. And did you see Ellie’s sad and guilty face at the end?

With regards to the tearful farewell, in Michael’s little “Hayden makes me a better person” speech, I was almost expecting him to say “you complete me” and disappointed when he didn’t. Just hope Michael can keep it together and he’s not walking around the house feeling like he’s missing a limb.

7 Culinary Boner { 07.22.11 at 11:43 am }

Missing an apendage, more like

8 auds { 07.22.11 at 12:00 pm }

I thought Haydens dish looked horribly unappetising. Was it just me or did it all just look like soggy mush?

I also noticed Michael was clean shaven in the after interview – interesting.

chunks – “On a sadder note, there is now a two in five chance that Dani or Allie will be Australia’s next Masterchef…”

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! noooooooooooooooo

9 Chunks { 07.22.11 at 12:03 pm }

Tsk@CB. “Hayden, I swear… “

10 littlepetal { 07.22.11 at 12:06 pm }

Not sure what happens to Dani immunity pin. The guide for next Thursday elimination challenge:

“The top five battle it out to secure a place in the season final. In this Elimination Challenge, the contestants must fix the worst dish they produced during the competition”

Why Dani not using the pin?

11 brain dead dave { 07.22.11 at 12:29 pm }

Yep,the Hayden is cracking title was a beauty. Last night he was cacking,moreover.

I didn’t see the prob with smauge’s Parkinson’s gag. If someone made a diabetes gag ,it wouldn’t bother me. These are degenerative diseases . I’d view gags about congenital disabilities differently.

Drugs called beta blockers can help with shaky hands. Just ask our cheating pistol shooters.

12 brain dead dave { 07.22.11 at 12:40 pm }

Pigeons are still used to help locate people lost at sea.

I’d rather Kate sauteed a seagull. What have they ever done for humanity?

13 Culinary Boner { 07.22.11 at 1:04 pm }

bdd, maybe Coles could give us free-range, chip-fed Seagull instead of grain-fed beef from cows all called Angus?

Albatross, Albatross!! … anyone?

14 Culinary Boner { 07.22.11 at 1:10 pm }

Can’t resist the classics:-

Man: Albatross! Albatross! Albatross!
A cutomer approaches him.
Person: Two choc-ices please.
Man: I haven’t got choc-ices. I only got the albatross. Albatross!
Person: What flavour is it?
Man: It’s a bird, innit? It’s a bloody sea bird . .. it’s not any bloody flavour. Albatross!
Person: Do you get wafers with it?
Man: Course you don’t get bloody wafers with it. Albatross!
Person: How much is it?
Man: Ninepence.
Person: I’ll have two please.
Man: Gannet on a stick.

15 Chunks { 07.22.11 at 1:25 pm }

Methinks that if either Dani or Allie (I notice everyone in the house has now caught George’s Greek accent thing) do win, the judges and producers will doing be a lot of defence work, because it certainly isn’t just on RR’s blog that people are aghast at how it’s playing out:

16 Toby Tom { 07.22.11 at 1:31 pm }
17 Sooty { 07.22.11 at 2:12 pm }

Pleased to see Hayden has some recipes up on his website. The only thing I’ve wanted to cook this season, off the show, was his moules frittes and Heston’s triple cooked chips.

(Tried the oils recommended by Littlepetal and Annie B – peanut was better for the chips, but the rice bran oil is an excellent addition. I usually only cook with extra virgin olive)

18 ange { 07.22.11 at 2:15 pm }

I was glad that tonights episode was all about the food – with the exception of the drawn out bromance. Despite the kermit voice and the dyed hair, Hayden has been a great cook and I thought his dish was really original tonight – I actually thought he would have won over Michael. Hoping that Michael wins it.

19 Chunks { 07.22.11 at 2:32 pm }

Dyed hair?

20 Gillian { 07.22.11 at 2:50 pm }

Awwwww … I liked Hayden and I thought his relationship with his mother is lovely. He appears to be a nice respectful person. I am hoping Alana wins it. I love how she thrives under pressure and her leadership skills.

21 brain dead dave { 07.22.11 at 3:39 pm }

I hope he treats his Mum alright when she wants to use the fryer.

I’ve had seagulls pecking at the windscreen ,trying to get at a bucket of chips on the dash. Got one hovering inside the car to get a chip. That’s what I call passionate about food.

22 Jess { 07.22.11 at 3:47 pm }

The first odd thing that struck me in this episode was…Michael saying there was a one-in-three chance that either he or Hayden would go out. I mean, what? That’s not how maths works…
Then there was Hayden wanting to get three chickens just to use their wing tips. That would have fulfilled the brief nicely enough, tough: He wouldn’t have been able to waste three whole chickens just to make a stock before coming on the show.

There needs to be more challenges like these, though. I want to see what the contestants can cook when given free reign. Maybe once a week, they should have more time and less restrictions in their cooking. What’s that Einstein quote about fish and climbing trees?

23 Pollywaffle { 07.22.11 at 4:52 pm }

Hayden’s going to be doing ads for KFC’s new trio of chickens in a basket for hungry surfer dudes with the munchies

24 brain dead dave { 07.22.11 at 6:07 pm }

He’ll be endorsing a new machine…the Abchef ™

The new workout machine for those golden abs you were always jealous of. Bust those abs and burn lard while you create with the handy chicken fryers that fit onto the Abchef(tm) When you’re finished with the Abchef(tm) simply fold it up .The Abchef(tm) stores easily under the bed. (Available in beige only)

*Fryers hold 3 chickens each

25 Moo { 07.22.11 at 7:15 pm }

Hayden was just looking like a frog in the headlights this past week. Very happy he’s gone!

26 Emma { 07.22.11 at 9:53 pm }

I haven’t watched MC in a couple of weeks and my life has improved exponentially ;). I just couldn’t handle the drama and silliness anymore. I do check in here still and was surprised about Hayden.

But then not really as Ellie will probably win …… *headdesk*

27 kode { 07.22.11 at 10:52 pm }

I’ve watched almost all the episodes of this season and I must say that I dislike Michael a lot. There’s something fake about him, like he’s always calculating the best way to behave to get the result he wants. Same with Kate, although I don’t see her as bad as Michael.

Hayden was sweet and it was obvious from the start that he was the star of this season. Luckily for the Masterchef he really could cook. Sometimes I wondered if he’s got Asperger’s or some other mild form of autism because it seemed that his interaction with others seemed like it was learnt, and not coming naturally. And he didn’t seem stupid at all. They showed his notes a few times and he’s got a really beautiful handwriting and the stuff he had written seemed quite intelligent.

I must admit though, that Hayden was a little too perfect. A life-saver with killer looks, and seemed to be quite a nice person on top of that. I didn’t mind him going home, but I actually wished that Michael would’ve gone earlier. I guess Alana will win. Or could be Michael, also.

28 Cecilia { 07.22.11 at 11:14 pm }

I just remember Hayden writing “Smile” on the top of his notes for the Dalai Lama challenge… :) It’s nice how he writes these things to remind himself to take it easy!

29 smauge { 07.22.11 at 11:34 pm }

Kode – I don’t get the Aspy vibe from Hayden. My son has it and when you live with it everyday you get real good at picking it in others (Adriano Zumbo, I’m looking at you!)
BDD – thanks for the comment. With two special needs kids you get a bit battle hardened and not everyone gets the humour. Usually it’s people who have no issues to deal with are the most politically correct. Got to be more careful aiming my arrows I guess!

30 kode { 07.23.11 at 10:51 am }

Ok smauge, I really don’t know any people with Asperger’s so it was just a hunch. There was just something off about his behaviour but that could very well be just the way he is when being filmed.

31 brain dead dave { 07.23.11 at 12:10 pm }

Hayden’s easily diagnosed…$hitting concrete.

32 smauge { 07.23.11 at 10:56 pm }

Think BDD has the correct diagnosis. Like I said Kode, check out Zumbo next time he’s on. I’d put money on him being an Aspy – very awkward! There was a little kid on Junior Masterchef last year that I picked out as one too. His name escapes me right now but he displayed all the typical signs.

33 alicia { 07.24.11 at 8:56 pm }

I would still thank Hayden for giving us the most memorable moment of this bland season which was him and sun at the fryer

34 JaniceG { 07.24.11 at 11:52 pm }

@Suzanne: I think that the differences in the elimination formality might depend on whether there’s a guest judge.