The Amazing Race Australia – We Have Our Top Three

Those girls from Western Australia rock. If there ever is an international The Amazing Race all stars edition, this team needs to be on it.

Gutsy attitude to everything, nothing phases them and they don’t whinge.

After arriving last in the previous episode Sam and Renae had to either finish first in this leg or incur a 20 minute time penalty.

The Farmers were the first to leave the pitstop in Jerusalem at 1.14am and had to fly to Colombo, Sri Lanka.

At Tel Aviv airport some of the best airport scenes of the series occurred. There were differing view on which flights to take. The Farmers and Luke and Jeff, on what appeared Jeff’s advice decided to take the flight with the long layer in Jordan and arriving at 5.00am in Sri Lanka. He seemed to be assuming the detours and roadblocks would not be operating until morning, and he was kind of right.

Nathan and Tyler took the go hard or go home option, opting to risk the short layover in Rome to get into Colombo at midnight. When Renae and Sam got to the airport and asking to get on the flight the guy had booked the other teams on (the one via Jordan) they were told the flight was now full. So they took the via Rome option as well.

I think this was bollocks and the producers wanted to manipulate it that there were two teams on each flight, so if one plane was caught up there would be two teams racing against each other to avoid elimination.

I was hoping Jeff would get his come uppance but he was right the temple didn’t open until 6.00am, however they had not arrived by then. The girls were in first to be blessed and get the next clue, followed closely by the male models.

I did have to laugh at the contrast of accommodation, the guys in the posh hotel, the other two teams outside the temple in the rain getting bitten by insects.

However it is the pointy end of the competition, any minute advantage can mean the difference between making top three and being eliminated.

They were off to the detour it was either counting or carrying. Counting – were teams had to count the number of fish in a bucket in a crowded fish market, and carry was carrying 15 blocks of ice on a trolley to stall number w 63.

All teams decided to do carry – Nathan and Tyler finished first and then it was off to the train station to travel third class to Galle.

All the teams got on the train, however Jeff and Luke bought second class tickets, but only incurred a 10 minute penalty which I thought they got off lightly, considering if they had missed the train they would have had to wait another 2 hours for another one. Would travelling first class only incurred a 20 minute penalty?

There next clue was on the beach where they had to unlock two chests with clues related to Sri Lanka’s history.

Then it was off to Amballangoda by bus to match a mask at the festival. Β Jeff and Luke were last to arrive and were trying to find the mask shop. Some helpful people were trying to point them in the right direction but they were insistent that wasn’t Β where they wanted to go. Because as you know Jeff DOES know it all.

Both the model teams were still leading the pack to the Roadblock which was in a clothing factory. One person from each team had to sew a shirt. It was great to see a challenge that was not brawn or physical. This was an advantage to the girls who got out of there first and must have been happy to think they were getting to the pitstop first.

However they received a 20 minute time penalty, as did Nathan and Tyler for riding in private transportation.

However lucky for the girls Jeff, and the farmers were struggling with the sewing, and stepped onto the pitstop mat first, and hence did not have to sit through another 30 minute penalty.

Nathan and Tyler were the second team to get into the top three, and unfortunately the farmers were eliminated. They were a classy team but it did crack me up when Matt said “Just get me back to Australia”. Don’t expect to see him trekking in Nepal anytime soon. If you want to see the Farmers all scrubbed up and without their cowboy hats go to this TV Week picture link, they look good.

Luke and Jeff barely barely cracked a smile when they hit top three I am just hoping that in the final episode they get excited about something.

Something for fans to get excited about you can apply for the second season of The Amazing Race Australia here.

1 Kaylen { 07.26.11 at 12:44 am }

hmm. The second flight was supposed to arrive at 4:55 am. They walked out and there was sunlight. Those from the first lot arrive, and slept, and went into the temple while there was, maybe at best, a false dawn.

6am? Yeah, I’m not so sure about that… either the second flight was delayed (which would usually be mentioned), or the temple was opened early. Which begs the question if that was requested? πŸ˜›

Either way – enjoyable to watch. Will miss the Farmers. The father/son team… eh. Would have rather them go (though I do like looking at the son, Luke…!).

Be interesting to see how it finishes. Which, if I remember, has been delayed by a half-hour to 9pm so they don’t suffer the Masterchef final week effect.

2 par3182 { 07.26.11 at 2:08 am }

I was a little uncomfortable with the shirt challenge taking place in a factory where people were sewing them for real (probably for a dollar a day while the racers are racing for $250k).

Jeff and Luke’s penalty made no sense, considering it was the same kind of transport related mistake the other teams were penalised three times as harshly. Plus it was odd they had to wait it out at the train station and not at the mat at the end.

I’ll be happy with a surfies or models win; team deadbeat dad not so much.

3 PollyB { 07.26.11 at 7:38 am }

Jeff, what a tosser. Mr Know-it-all at it again at the airport. And the train station, and the mask shop. Yes they should have had a longer penalty, at the end of the leg, regarding the train mishap. At least the boys had 5 star for a few hours before being eliminated.

4 KatInEurope { 07.26.11 at 8:21 am }

Matt needs to grow his hair back IMMEDIATELY.
I approve of the undone tie though *rawr*

Sorry, but I’d rather see these two with their own show than bloody Hayden Shakyhandmonotone.
BTW is this Renae in the Garnier ad? http://www.sassisamblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Garnier_Body_Model_logos.jpg yes I saw it in a recent No Idea, someone brought me it over to Europe, beggars can’t be choosers!

5 AJ { 07.26.11 at 8:37 am }

The dad is really starting to get on my nerves now. I don’t know why his son and the other teams all seem to agree with whatever he says? It seems that each leg he completes, the more his ego inflates. And the 10 minute time penalty seemed incredibly unfair. It should have been at least 30 minutes since their failure to go to the correct ticket counter would have otherwise put them 2+ hours behind the other teams if they had missed the train while trying to purchase third class tickets.

At the end of the day, it didn’t look like it made much of a difference as the factory still appeared open and operating when the father finished his shirt, but it was closed with most of the lights off by the time the cowboy finished.

I’m very glad the girls made it to the final three – it would have been dull with three all-male teams. Again, I’d like them to provide some greater clarity around the time penalties since the model team-up seemed to have explicitly asked their driver whether he was a registered taxi (or whatever they had to catch) and they were told “yes”. What more are they expected to do in order to ensure they catch the right form of transport?

I enjoyed the cowboys, but I’m not particularly sad to see them go. Did they even know each other before the race? I don’t think they’ve ever indicated that they’re actually friends at any time. There have been a few off-hand references to lives on their farms, but that is it. No shared memories. No common stories.

The two model teams each seem to have a history with their partner and obviously the father and son (vaguely) know each other, but the cowboys often came across as two strangers who were well-matched, but otherwise just set up on a bizarre “blind date” Amazing Race.

6 Chunks { 07.26.11 at 10:46 am }

AJ, they are country blokes. You know the “no poofters” rule, can’t be seen to be too chummy. They actually live quite a distance apart and apparently Matt had never been to a city before the race. Their profile makes for an entertaining read on the official website.

I’ll be happy for Sam and Renae or Nathan and Tyler to win but would hate to see Jeff get it. What a jerk.

7 Casper { 07.26.11 at 11:08 am }

So sad to see the farmers go. Best pair in the race by far. I wouldn’t mind the models if they could stop telling me how they are girls and can do anything the men can do, only better. I find this attitude makes them unattractive.
I’m now faced with the conundrum of wanting Luke to win but not Jeff. Alas it’s my only option as I don’t want either models or surfers to win.

8 Kaylen { 07.26.11 at 12:36 pm }

The Farmers have actually mentioned that they practically grew up together.

9 AJ { 07.26.11 at 1:20 pm }

^^^^

Ah. My bad.

10 Chunks { 07.26.11 at 2:05 pm }

And remember they ran away with that challenge where one had to guess how the other would view their fellow contestants, so they know each other quite well.

11 PollyB { 07.26.11 at 5:21 pm }

I always thought they were close mates. That old style Aussie boy thing, little physical contact, and that country thing, wide personal space, but obvious camaraderie and understanding of each other.
KatInEurope – I too would “rather see these two with their own show than bloody Hayden Shakyhandmonotone.”

12 AnonyMousse { 07.26.11 at 7:22 pm }

Based on my track record of having something like 2 teams I liked winning the Race in 18 American seasons, I therefore predict that the father/son team will win. I look forward to their stony, blank (and open mouthed in the case of the son) expressions of joy on the finishing mat.

Having said that, this is one of the rare races where a team I thought I’d dislike after the first episode have turned around to be me favourite remaining team – for a couple of models the girls aren’t afraid to get in and do heavy lifting to get themselves through.

13 EH { 07.27.11 at 11:17 am }

Anyone knows why Tom always wears leggings to cover his legs? Find it strangethat he wore them in hot and humid weather in Sri Lanka.

14 sj { 07.28.11 at 5:33 am }

EH, I am guessing the leggings could be to avoid DVT? at least that’s what i decided tonight as i can’t think of any other reason.