The Renovators – The Wrong Room Won

I hope the media is not going to talk The Renovators into an early death, like they tried to do with The X Factor. This show deserves to be given a go. It is doing all the right things for a reality show, good cast and contestants, and high production values. And a whopping great prize.

The ratings were not good last night for what has been a heavily advertised show. However, I think it will build. It has more pace then The Block. However The Block’s time slot is much better.

Joanne won the keys to a suburban house last night, and there was another one up for grabs tonight.

However you had to get through three rounds to get it.

Round one: was to hammer a nail into a piece of wood, if you bent it and you are out.

Lisa the 47 year old interior designer said “I don’t use tools, I have barely used a hammer”. If you were going on a renovation show, wouldn’t you practice? Lisa tapped it lightly and eventually got it through, but was eliminated with her next go.

However I was shocked when judge builder Barry Dubois said he had not hammered a nail for 20 years. What has he been doing?

Actually considering the simplicity of the challenges it was rather entertaining. Only one got knocked out on their first go. However as they made it harder, not letting the contestants to miss it either they started falling like flies.

Once they had the six to go through to round two the challenge was over. It was good to see two girls make it

Round two was renovating a chair. They were being judged on creativity as well as execution. They had two hours.

Robyn Holt was shocked at Luke painting a beautiful Danish designed chair wood white to contrast with the black leather cushion. Barry loved that he was bold enough to paint it white.

Christie who knows her way around a power tool  turned an Edwardian chair into a children’s chair. She was criticised for  a paint drop on her material.

Bob redesign of his chair was great.  Robyn Holt said the craftsmanship of the chair hums, but the leather cushion finish was not great.

Keenan’s chair I liked with its grey fabric, but Laura’s ambitious upholstering of  a big chair was not so good.

We got the Sex Pistol reference about her chair from Peter Ho when he said he could see the anarchy in it. However Robyn and Laura had to continue the joke just ensure we had not missed his not too subtle pop culture reference.

The three who got through were  Luke, Christie and Bob.

For the final round these three had to design a room around their chair. They had four hours, however they got to use the other contestant as workmen.

Kelly a property renovator and manager has a definite far north coast NSW vibe to him. He says white paint scares him. Jesus talk about first world phobias.

He does have ideas but are they too whacky? Does it matter it is good reality TV viewing.

He spent the time painting some window black outs with stars on it for Bob’s design studio.  They were not good. I got the feeling Bob was too nice to say no I don’t want them.

Bob with his team appointed himself as project manager, that is supervising the people doing the work. Barry came over and told him to get off his chair, metaphoriacally speaking and get his hands dirty. He also ran out of floating floor boards, and Joanne came up with the solution. So maybe she did deserve to get the first key last night.

Bob’s room was lovely and original. August did a fabulous painting, which made Peter Ho query whether the chair was still the centrepiece of the room.

He did the same with Luke’s black and white bedroom.

However he didn’t have to ask Christie this, as there was hardly any furniture in her bedroom for a “sophisticated little girl”.  However  painting the floor was a great idea.

Barry thought the room needed to be warmed up” and Robyn thought the feeling space was a bit overwhelming.

Luke’s monochrome room was surprisingly classy. Loved the bulk head. However I am getting a bit over the black and white theme that pops up in these design/renovations shows.  The judges are not as they gave him the winning room.

He then picked the inner city terrace in Glebe as the place he wanted to renovate.

Personally I think Bob’s room should have won. Which room did you like the best?

1 Lucy { 07.26.11 at 7:13 am }

I loved Bob’s room. The chair was beautiful, and I loved his room.

That said, Luke is shaping up to be the “Hayden” of Renovators?

2 smauge { 07.26.11 at 7:16 am }

I agree with the judges. The aim was to highlight the chair, and Bob just didn’t do that. Wonder if he gets to keep the painting. I loved it!
Think Luke (who is clearly here to supply the eyecandy as well as ideas – a concept I’m perfectly fine with) picked the wrong house. He’s going to be hamstrung by the Heritage listing. He should have gone the partially done house. The potential for profit will be huge.
The shop will be last to go. Can’t see a shop making a huge profit at the end.

3 aneets { 07.26.11 at 7:40 am }

Yes I think the heritage listing and having to have council ok everything will be a major pain in the butt for the inner city terrace. Perhaps Sydney City Council is better than our local one though.
I also thought that Bob should have won- loved his room.
I am very invested in this show as one of the houses is around the corner from me & have been sticky beaking how they are going most days. Looking forward to seeing who chooses it.

4 seepi { 07.26.11 at 10:06 am }

Great show!
The window decorations were a bit dire – Bob kept saying ‘if they’re not done they’re out’ and I’m sure he hoped they wouldn’t be done – the painter guy was a pain. Loved the background painting though.

The heritage listing is dire – I agree he should have picked the half done house. But a terrace inner city can do really well – and suits his style. They must have pre-approved some sorts of changes to the terrace – council approvals take forever.

I am over black and white as is one of the judges, but I did like his room – the wall paper saved it from being too hotel-ish I think.

5 Paul { 07.26.11 at 10:43 am }

Much better ratings last night after a horror first day.

Up 11% on first night.

Could be a keeper. Haven’t watched it yet but all reports sound positive.

6 kingfisher { 07.26.11 at 10:56 am }

love this show, you see real renovating not like the block . still trying to figure out what happens with the losers who don’t get a house . at this stage not many products placements but in time this will happen .

7 Chunks { 07.26.11 at 1:03 pm }

Even Luke’s hat is exactly the same as Hayden’s! Crazy picking anything in Glebe, a suburb with very tight heritage restrictions, which is problem enough, but also a huge percentage of public housing and associated crime. There’s a reason it still looks so down at heel despite its proximity to the city.

8 Picnic { 07.26.11 at 1:59 pm }

Kingfisher, I am loving the show as well, the rooms were great, I loved all the rooms last night, good personalities on the show and its not bland, great challenges. The show is heaps better than the Block.

9 sue { 07.26.11 at 4:15 pm }

I loved both Bob & Luke’s rooms- I did agree Luke’s should have won as I think he highlighted the chair better, which was the challenge.

But both rooms were pretty damn good, and I loved the big painting in Bob’s room. Thought his windows were very childish and amateur- his challenge to win or lose, he should have yanked them.

The little girls room was too stark- not cuddly at all, which was her description for the chair at the end of the bed etc…

I did wonder about the heritage listing, as I have heard it makes renovating a nightmare. Glebe- crime area or not will prob get good prices as it is getting trendy and is so close to city. I personally would have gone for the other house tho… :)

10 smauge { 07.26.11 at 4:49 pm }

Which house are you near Aneets? We have the shop up the road from us. I went and had a stickybeak today!

11 aneets { 07.26.11 at 6:07 pm }

The weatherboard in Parramatta smauge.
They have extended out the back but the exterior paint job is quite shoddy& bland colour wise. Whereabouts is the shop?

12 Chunks { 07.26.11 at 6:28 pm }

Sue, Glebe was “trendy” 30 years ago. I have friends who seriously regret buying an investment property there and others who moved out last year because the anti-social behaviour was growing out of control. It would have to be in a very good location to get a good return. I would have taken the half done house in Petersham(?) which is not that much farther out in the scheme of things and still has lots of inner urban character.

13 Mama'sMilk { 07.26.11 at 9:22 pm }

I’m LOVING this show! Its like the producers have taken MC and just swapped “proteins” for painting … and the contestants are playing all the same tricks (did anyone else laugh when the young woman doing the kid’s chair pulled out Alvin’s “this-one’s-for-my-daughter” trump card!)

Great to see real renovators who just get in there and hammer, paint and hang kitchens … makes The Block look like a joke.

And I’m screaming at the TV to pick the half-finished house; seriosly, it looks huge with some major bits already done so heaps of potential for profit . Wouldn’t touch heritage listing with a barge-pole.

Yep, I’m totally happy – I didn’t watch this series of MC as I’m over it. It just seemed to get increasingly stressful on the contestants and all about making them cry

Totally stoked to have this instead and look forward to the RR commentary (although unlike MC1 and MC2, this year I won’t be reading it while doing my babies’ night-feeds!)

14 sue { 07.26.11 at 9:27 pm }

chunks..well my info is that close to the city/ Glebe areas – still high demand. I personally would have picked the half done house, but can see the appeal with the terrace house-except for the heritage listing issues.

so glablackck team didn’t win, and seriously how “interesting” is that guy Kelly???!!!???!!!

15 brain dead dave { 07.26.11 at 9:29 pm }

” Losing the vision” may be my latest favourite reality tv cliche .

It blew tonight’s Ma$terchef ep to the shizenhausen. That hammer throwing graphic might not be so exemplary for children.

16 sue { 07.26.11 at 9:33 pm }

*glad black*…edit function didn’t work for me … :(

17 Casual Reader { 07.26.11 at 10:12 pm }

did anyone feel that the winner tonight – Jason. He looks and sounds just like Robert in everybody loves Raymond?

18 Izobel2 { 07.26.11 at 10:14 pm }

Totally enjoying this show. Love how it’s not too gimicky and it shows so much planning/reno information. Husband is right into the show too, whereas he thinks The Block is shite and won’t watch it. I’m watching both but enjoying this one much more. Hope the ratings improve too. I think Kelly is a space cadet!

19 brain dead dave { 07.26.11 at 10:21 pm }

I’m into Manu’s show here at the minute.

One question for Kyle $andilands,too.

Have you called Jenny yet?

20 Izobel2 { 07.26.11 at 10:33 pm }

BDD – I didn’t think you’d be into Manu!! Sad case me is taping that one too!
Casual Reader – The big fella Jason is certainly tall like Robert Barone, with the deep voice too!
I was thinking that the leader of the yellow team was a bit like the bird off the Panel – umm Kate Langbrook.

21 smauge { 07.26.11 at 10:33 pm }

Aneets – the shop is in Marrickville. Saw the Reno so far today but still don’t know who’s doing it! Big Jason has your house.
If memory serves, the half done house is in St Peters – also part of the trendy (expensive) inner west.

22 smauge { 07.26.11 at 10:35 pm }

Yeah – I cans Ed Kate Langbroek. Bob has stolen Bob Franklin’s voice.

23 brain dead dave { 07.26.11 at 10:51 pm }

I’m not “into” Manu,( not that there’s anything wrong with that) like that, Izobel 2. Lucky you’re taping it,it’s riddled with ads.

“I’m not chauvinistic-it’s just tradition.” Quote of tonight’s Dinner Dolt.

24 Izobel2 { 07.26.11 at 11:09 pm }

Hey smauge, I was thinking that about Bob too but couldnt think of his name.. The dry comedian from thank god you’re here? Nice one.
BDD- wonder if it’s worth watching.. U may have to do a recap if RR is too busy!

25 brain dead dave { 07.26.11 at 11:16 pm }

Dinner Date has already learned a lot from Ma$terchef…it’s running more than ten minutes overtime. The guys were duds tonight. I’ll give it another whirl.

26 Pollywaffle { 07.26.11 at 11:19 pm }

Manu may as well taken the night off as he added zip to that show beyond reminding people not to shop at Fletcher Jones.Dont even think he did the VOs so don’t get his role at all beyond contract fulfillment

27 Fides { 07.26.11 at 11:28 pm }

I think I’m going to get sucked right into watching this show, like I was with MC, even though I have never renovated anything and am not remotely interested in it. But do all reality shows have to talk about objects as heroes as in ” the chair must be the hero of the room” “butter is the hero of my dish blah blah blah”

28 Picnic { 07.27.11 at 8:00 am }

BDD – please do a blind date recap! I have too many shows and cannot summon the energy to watch it, but would love to read your recap

29 Reality Raver { 07.27.11 at 9:20 am }

BDD – I was going to recap and I fell asleep in Dinner Date, was going to watch again this morning. But if you want to do a quick recap and send it through to realityravings@hotmail.com it would be most welcome.

30 smauge { 07.27.11 at 12:10 pm }

It must have been riveting.