Dinner Date – Guest Post By Brain Dead Dave

I have to be honest I have not seen the full episode as I fell asleep at the start of it.  I did notice there was a lot of twitter chat around it. Not a lot of it was positive, but then Twitter can be a bit snarky. But the plus side for Channel Seven at least people were talking about it.

Thankfully regular commenter Brain Dave Dead did see the whole thing through and here is his recap:

9.30 on Tuesday night is the time for Dinner Date, hosted by Manu. You’ve just watched Ma$terchef and The Renovators, so why not a bland,blind dating show around being a host and cooking a la maison, as Manu wouldsay, for a member of the opposite sex?

It starts with Manu explaining ze rules at ze beginning ,then the show is pretty much a bludge for him after that. Subtitles for Manu’s segments would be a plus as I struggle with his accent. The dancing chef is having a crack at playing Cupid now. Zut Alors!

The chick was a uber gorgeous Asian and she met three male suitors for dinner at their places . Unfortunately, I don’t remember the names of the contestants, or what they cooked. I don’t have IQ,so feel free to fill in any tidbits.

Uncomfortable moments,stilted conversation and train wrecks are a feature of the dinner scenes.Just how I like it.

One of the guys reacted like they’d found a turd in his bathtub when the found out the woman was a single mother. The second guy was a single Dad,he crapped out.The third guy didn’t mind so much so he won and went for a massive tonguey on the second date. His mantra was “I’m not chauvinistic,it’s just tradition” He took half the poor girl’s face off.

You’ll hear snatches of romantic hits of the past on this show and I think the producers have been canny not to have Manu overkill…it’s mostly about the dinner dolts.

Needless to say,he won…

1 Wurstsemmel { 07.27.11 at 11:14 am }

I don’t see this lasting long. It’s not really my thing but I was curious and there was nothing else on. Manu was lucky to be on for 5 minutes and I actually found him almost unintelligible.

Brand Manu is sinking even further.

2 Lea { 07.27.11 at 11:20 am }

meh.
Was looking forward to it, but it was pretty bad…

3 Paul { 07.27.11 at 11:31 am }

It was almost so bad that it was good.

Manu’s Q scores are rapidly disappearing down the toilet. Might be time to get back into his chefs whites.

4 Maria { 07.27.11 at 12:57 pm }

As a whole, I enjoyed the show and we as a family were shouting things at the dinner date characters. Big cringe-factor (aside from male #1 and male #2)… was MANU. Over animated, hard to understand and he didn’t come across as a sincere host. Instead he seemed like someone who had read his lines in front of a mirror a million times, trying to engage his future audience. Flashback to his Dancing with the Stars ‘condition’ he had so much trouble shaking. He tried too hard to be perfect… forgoing relaxation and enjoyment. He may aswell have been a Madame Tussaud version of himself. I don’t mind him being the chef-judge on My Kitchen Rules.. but he shouldn’t try to be the next Grant Denyer. I get the whole ‘Frenchman.. flirty’.. dinner date /romance connection which is implied…but mehh.. no thanks. That is so three months ago. I do however look forward to the next episode!

5 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 1:10 pm }

Families shouting at the TV. Love it.

Manu’s clearly out of his comfit zone. I agree he’s been great on MKR.

6 Amy { 07.27.11 at 1:53 pm }

God this show was horrible. However it was like a car accident, awful as it was, I couldn’t look away. At least, not until she picked the disgusting second guy who gave me “wife beater” vibes after saying she had to think about her daughter, too.

The third guy was the nicest of the lot and she seemed the most relaxed on that date so I had hopes she would go for personality over looks and sleazy charm, but alas, she turned out to be the shallow bitch I had her pegged as from the start.

Even Manu can’t make that pile of shit watchable. I give it 3 episodes.

7 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 2:06 pm }

One of those beige Ken dolls served Whitebait. Isn’t there supposed to be a difference between “Dinner Date” and “Fishing Trip”?

Three episodes,Amy? Let’s enjoy it while it lasts. The show needs to dig deep and take some notes from my favourite dating show “Mommas Boys”

8 Pollywaffle { 07.27.11 at 2:13 pm }

BDD great recap
The guys:
Mark the Italian Stallion
Drunk Champas Dude aka Prince William
Daddy Dude with nervous tic
Reminded me of the really bad wedding show – “someone’s getting Married? ” that lasted 2 or 3 episodes

9 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 2:21 pm }

Thanks Pollywaffle, I got those Ken dolls mixed up.

Yeah, the champas dude started skulling the champas when he found out that shallow Suzi was a mother.

10 Chunks { 07.27.11 at 2:40 pm }

I definitely won’t be watching, even to see Manu, but will happily read the recaps if they’re all like this. I love a good trainwreck.

11 Paula { 07.27.11 at 2:53 pm }

I thought she was Greek… Manu was beyond awful and completely unnecessary.. they should have got James Valentine! I am watching avidly cause a girl in our apartment building is in one of the episodes… not sure which one yet. Hopefully in the first couple. Agree the guy who was chosen was too revolting for words.

12 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 3:05 pm }

She could’ve been Greek, I wasn’t wearing my glasses ,Paula.

Would a Greek girl go for the Italian stallion? Discuss.

13 Culinary Boner { 07.27.11 at 3:13 pm }

bdd, did Hot Chocolate feature on the backing soundtrack?

14 Pollywaffle { 07.27.11 at 3:23 pm }

Dont think she was Greek ,
she rejected the man offering pork ( make what you will of that ethnic hint) and was not hanging out for lamb of any description. I rest my case

15 Rhu { 07.27.11 at 3:23 pm }

I could not believe she went for the arrogant dude. I hope there is a ‘where are they now’ before the series is dumped. There is a reason that male is still single….

16 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 3:36 pm }

No they didn’t CB but they’re worthy contenders being Prince Charles’ fav band while he was shagging Ms Parker Bowles on the sly.
I noticed the old songs because this show uses them rather than the computer generated library music used by Ma$terchef and The Renovators.
Read a survey a few years ago that said Dark Side Of The Moon was Australia’s favourite shagging music. Right now,Manu’s show needs all the help it can get.

17 Culinary Boner { 07.27.11 at 3:41 pm }

bdd, as time has gone by I’ve discovered that prog-rock tracks like P Floyd’s can have the unfortunate consequence of outlasting my performance, what with them long guitar solos. I’m more of a punk rocker these days

18 Izobel2 { 07.27.11 at 3:45 pm }

Hey BDD thanks for the recap, as per mine & picnic’s request last night (prev blog!).
Was there only one season of Momma’s Boys?? I watched that one twice. That was a goody.

19 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 4:02 pm }

Izobel 2,I’ve only seen the one season last year on fta tv late at night.

It may be too soon to despair about Dinner Date as Ch7 will most likely encore it on the weekend around lunchtime as they’ve done with other flops to try and get some traction. Unless it has some kind of PGR content.

20 anonymice { 07.27.11 at 7:08 pm }

@Rhu -actually I can believe that she went for the itallian dude. He was “so her type” – insanity is repeating the same behaviour….and she had bucket loads of that. Very sad to watch actually.

Didn’t she say at the beginning of the episode that she has grown up and “realised” that relationships can’t just be based just on chemistry…. well go figure…

21 Anon { 07.27.11 at 7:28 pm }

Seriously RR – brain dead dave? I’ve watched this guy abuse people in the comment forum and make sexist fuckwitted comments for a long time. If this us the direction you have decided to take the blog – best of luck but this is my last visit to this blog. Doubt I’ll be missed. Watch and wait for his reaction to this. I predict it will prove my point but I’m not even subscribing to further comments so go your hardest BDD et al.

22 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 7:51 pm }

(sound of water rolling off bdd’s back)

23 nnnat { 07.27.11 at 10:07 pm }

umm anon it is kinda hard 2b missed if ur anonymous lol. Anywho, BDD, 1st guy was prince look-a-like, office type turned carpenter choked on his champagne when finding out gorgeous girl had a bub, aced the whitebait, almost screwed the salmon. 2nd guy was the arrogant Italian dick who excused his chauvinistic piggish behaviour as tradition. She says the dessert won her over but yes @Amy sadly she is a typical pretty shallow female. Didn’t watch the last guy, knew she would pick Marc, her “type”.

24 Anna { 07.28.11 at 5:51 pm }

BDD,as always your comments are spot on.

She was very attractive, not so sure about her IQ. She picked the guy most women would run from.

So sad that in her 30’s still still goes for looks or should I say ‘her type”. This time her type is a dick.

This show is a train wreck that’s , painful to watch, impossible to look away.

Do wish Manu didn’t sign up to host it.