Masterchef Australia – Will Dani Play Her Pin?

Dani said  “I don’t care which ingredient I get as I am not going to plate anything up, as there is no way you will put me in the bottom two, because you won’t have an elimination episode tomorrow night.”

OK the producers had obviously thought of this scenario as they said if she landed in the bottom two and she played her immunity idol the person who came third in the challenge would take her place. This ensures there is cooking occurring on the Thursday night episode, rather than too camera pieces about whether she was going to play the pin or not, and how Ellie was disappointed about not being able to show she is the “Ellie-nator” again.

The viewer also won’t have to put up with George, Gary and Matt doing a slap stick routine to ensure the program hits the 30 minute mark.

However with this scenario has ensured the viewer can be kept in suspense for another 24 hours on whether Dani will play the immunity pin or not.

For some weird reason I get the feeling she won’t play it. She appears to have been the last one to get the memo that said she doesn’t deserve to be in final’s week, and may be feeling a bit shamefaced.

However the issue is who deserves to be there less Ellie or Dani.

Tonight the action took place in the Masterchef house, with the contestants being busted in their pyjamas. Michael even gasped ” My pyjamas are going to be seen on national TV!”. He didn’t realise the cameras were filming?

The challenge was to cook George Calombaris, and three other chefs lunch. The catch was to cook with an unusual ingredient  and make it the centrepiece of the dish. Ellie got salsify, Michael sea urchin, Alana pigs tails, Dani liquorice, and Kate pumpkin but she had to make a dessert with it.

The guest judges were Colin Fassenidge, Donovan Cooke and Ashly Hicks. If they ever need a host for an Australian version of Hell’s Kitchen they need not look further than Donovan. He is very serious and seem like a hard task master. He almost requires sub-titles as well.

Ellie made Lobster Salad with salsify puree, salsify chips and apple, and radish salad.

Ashly said the flavour was very nice, however Donovan (who was bad cop all night) said there was not enough flavour.

George also said there was no salsify flavour, however he told her she should be proud. What? It was probably the worst dish of the day.

Michael made sea urchin with angel hair pasta. Donovan thought very impressive, but criticised him for not blanching the fresh pasta, as some sections were still in clumps.

Alana made crispy pigs tails with pear puree, and pork crackling, this got good reviews, again Donovan was nit picking that you should be able to slice through the bone, or something like that. The eating of pigs tails is not a speciality of mine.

Dani said hers was one of the worse dishes she has ever plated up? That is a big call, I thought the one she dished up in the spanish challenge was pretty poor.

She gave her take on a liquorice all sort which was a clever concept, the execution didn’t quite work. It was liquorice ice cream with passionfruit jelly, meringue and berry coulis.

Donovan said the flavour of liquorice was good, as was the passionfruit but the flavour of both of them did not go together.

Kate who had received the easiest ingredient made caramelised pumpkin cake, cinamon mousse, and maple bacon, and candied walnuts.

Ashley said he really liked it, however Donovan thought she could try and make the cake a bit dense.

Michael and Kate were top two with Kate being annointed the winner and getting a masterclass with Matt Moran. Bottom two were Dani and Ellie, and we have to wait until tomorrow night to see if Dani plays the pin.

1 Fides { 07.28.11 at 1:39 pm }

According to the TV guide, tonight’s elimination challenge has the contestants fixing the worst dish they made in the competition. Allie has so many to choose from, ditto Dani. Alana’s never made the bottom 3 and her only bad dish which we’ve been shown is the lamb cutlet she undercooked an elimination challenge. So if that’s her worst dish, it should be easy to fix. She could have other bad dishes, just not ones we’ve seen in which case it won’t be as interesting. But I’d rather see how far Dani and Allie have progressed trying to fix some of their disasters.

2 Kugelhopf { 07.28.11 at 1:45 pm }

Well according to Dani the worst dish she made was last night, so she should make that again (another version of a burger)

3 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 1:50 pm }

She didn’t exactly “respect the integrity of the rabbit” last time,so it could be a Bunnyburger.

4 davsimp { 07.28.11 at 1:55 pm }

Let’s hope it’s only fixing one dish they ballsed up then or Ellie will be there all night.

5 Fides { 07.28.11 at 1:56 pm }

And she could really live life on the edge and try toasting some buns.

6 kingfisher { 07.28.11 at 2:01 pm }

Alana MEOOOW!!!! get those claws out baby !!!

7 Culinary Boner { 07.28.11 at 2:04 pm }

Less Bunnyburgers and more Bunnyboilers, say I.

8 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 2:07 pm }

Alana’s conjugal visit might have been a bit of a fizzer.

9 littlepetal { 07.28.11 at 2:26 pm }

Again the elimination challenge tonight is weak. They are not fixing the same dish. To be fair they could get the 2 contestants to fix 2 dishes (one worst dish from each contestant). Then you can have an even playing field but then again MC is not about even playing field.

10 Fides { 07.28.11 at 3:21 pm }

They could both fix their own worst dish and if Dani skips the challenge, then be made to fix Dani’s worst dish, just to mess with her head.

11 Skod { 07.28.11 at 3:25 pm }

Maybe they’re going to judge most improved, so would be easier for Ellie to win. Or Ellie lets George fondle her somemore.

12 Fides { 07.28.11 at 3:56 pm }

Yeah if it’s the most improved, I guess Ellie’s started a lot lower down than Alana. I’m just assuming now that Dani uses her pin though have no idea. I agree she shouldn’t feel guilty about it, no matter how many death stares she’s likely getting from both Ellie and Alana. But perhaps Ellie might prefer to battle Alana because she knows she can out sook her, with Dani though, they’re pretty evenly matched.

13 Skod { 07.28.11 at 4:09 pm }

Oh yeah the ratings ARE slipping:

In worrying signs for Ten’s cooking franchise, MasterChef slipped to third place behind Nine’s DIY format and the grand final of AGT, which showcased the best of this season’s performers.

14 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 4:16 pm }

Also the Grand Final of AGT isn’t the Grand Final because next week it’s The Decider and the stoush for ratings will be on again.

I almost feel a twinge of compassion for Ma$terchef’s producers $hittting concrete about how they can wring out any usable footage of an Allie/Dani smackdown.

15 Paul { 07.28.11 at 4:23 pm }

They are the Tuesday night figures which was very lacklustre being the last immunity challenge for the season.

You have to take the figures in context. AGT has been killing them this year (I’ve got no idea why as personally I find it shitful) and The Block has also been a good performer.

MC has never really had two blockbusters thrown at it before and there is only so much reality one person can watch.

Even if you were a casual viewer of AGT and a dedicated viwer of MC, you would probably be more likely to watch AGT on Tuesday being the finals over a nondescript immunity challenge on MC.

I’m not disputing the figures are down but to me they are just naturally down due to viewer fatigue with the concept plus having the other burden of the other networks taking the fight up to it this year.

The show is much the same as S1 and S2. The complaints about it are more or less exactly the same.

I look at it like a relationship. In the first few years (s1) everythign is shiny and new and you love everything about your partner. After a few years (s2) you start to see little faults you hadn’t noticed before. After 7-10 years (s3), those faults start to become irritants and you start to look around for other options and complaing to family and friends.

You then have a talk with each other after 10-12 years (s4) and promise to iron out those faults.

After 15 years (s5) its eitner beyond repair or the relationship regenerates again !!!!!

Thats my take on it anyway.

By the way, if you need any marriage counselling you can find me on twitter. LOL…….

16 RealityRanter { 07.28.11 at 4:26 pm }

Season 3 is not at all like seasons 1 and 2. This year’s decline is so steep, it makes me weep. I used to rush home to catch this show, but these days, it’s a case of taping it on IQ and watching it with one finger on the FF button. Top Chef All-stars, on Arena, underscores how badly produced this year’s MCA is.

17 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 4:31 pm }

If Ma$terchef is like a relationship,it reminds me of the worst root I’ve ever had.

18 Fides { 07.28.11 at 4:34 pm }

So, worse than salsify?

19 sue { 07.28.11 at 4:35 pm }

BDD- gold!!!!

20 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 4:37 pm }

A root vegetable.

21 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 4:40 pm }

Next time I see a hot cougar at the supermarket,I’ll say

“Excuse me,I’m here looking for a root. Can you help me?”

22 Jo { 07.28.11 at 5:17 pm }

@NT Kate – “notice Kate wasn’t part of the weird pamper Michael thing the other night!)”…it was actually Alana who didn’t take part, so I have a feeling she’s the one who isn’t in the girls club, not Kate.

23 NT Kate { 07.28.11 at 6:45 pm }

Jo – I stand corrected.

Anyway the dilemma of the pin (such as it was) is resolved – for total spoilers, the MC website has the video of the first part of the program up already…

24 littlepetal { 07.28.11 at 6:56 pm }

NT Kate- Yes. Channel Ten dropped the ball again. Unfortunately I didn’t watch it.

25 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 7:57 pm }

I’ll know in about five minutes. White knuckle stuff.

26 sue { 07.28.11 at 8:25 pm }

just tell us please , can’t be bothered watching

27 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 8:32 pm }

Spoiler contained

Lady Macbeth uses the pin. Blubs that she’s “not a bad per$on” etc,etc…

I don’t know the “result” yet.

28 littlepetal { 07.28.11 at 8:58 pm }

The right person got eliminated. Finally !!

29 lulu { 07.28.11 at 9:10 pm }

Ellie: “I cooked a Spanish creme caramel.” ……What the?
George (her ‘brother’) looked gutted.

30 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 9:11 pm }

Matt Preston’s haircut for Sunday night should provide a few laughs. It’s pretty severe.

My local Coles is chockers with Ma$terchef regalia. It’s time to kill the fatted calf again.

31 sourkraut { 07.29.11 at 2:41 pm }

Norway half blown to pieces, lunatic Gaddafi still in power, Greece bankrupt, USA almost likewise, millions starving.
Pity all the tosh and time spent discussing this execrable show was not diverted to solving just one of the world’s problems, we would all be far better off.
Never mind…for a jen u whine switch-off, slip yer grey matter into neutral and by all means discuss the earth shattering merits of whether the piranha should use the ring of power or not. I says chuck it into Mt Pintatubo

32 PollyB { 07.29.11 at 4:06 pm }

Sour, I haven’t heard the soothing sound of your dulcet tone for too long. I’ll sleep well tonight. 😉