The Renovators – We Need To Talk About Kelly

“I’ve learnt through a wise man that a great way of seeing a house for the first time is to place your finger on the wall and follow the wall and while you are touching that wall as you go you can note down everything that you see,” said Kelly surfer looking dude from Lennox Head

We need to talk about this renovator/property manager from Lennox Head. He certainly is an individual, but he seems to have a hard time taking direction or working as a team.

I am hoping this is his carefully crafted persona that his is putting on for a reality TV show to ensure maximum TV time, but somehow I think not.

In this latest challenge Kelly decided he wasn’t able to attend a team meeting as he was freaking out there was dust pouring into a room – not that anyone else could see it. He said to Kathy he would be outside and stormed off. Clearly dirt wasn’t an issue as he was throwing that around everywhere.

Also if you have a dust phobia/allergy would you go on a renovation show? Maybe they need to include this on the application forms from now on. Can you hammer a nail? Can you breathe in dust?

As the episodes progress we are slowly starting to get to know some of the personalities, and the casting is a nice mix.

Tonight the two people we saw a lot of were the team capatains Kathy and the very tall Jason from WA.

The premise was two teams had to redesign and style side by side terraces in Rozelle to see who could increase the sale value the most. They were both valued at $975,000 and they had nine hours to complete the task.

The prize was the team captain got to pick a key to a house. The downside the losing captain couldn’t participate in Wednesday night’s challenge. Also they had to pick someone else to sit it out as well.

The teams got to pick themselves, and as Christie said it broke off into cliques of people who were friends. There appeared to be a good mix of tradies and designers in each team.

Daniel Grey (not sure if I got the name right) was a special guest judge. He is Australia’s answer to Jeff Lewis the star of US show Flipping Houses. Ok he is not as hysterical or rude as Jeff, but he does trades houses. He claims to renovate a house a week. This guy deserves an Order of Australia for services to stamp duty revenue.

Jason who was captain of the gold team is a wharfie who has renovated five times, and Kathy the captain of the black team was a former real estate agent and now full time renovator. She said she lived in the area so therefore knew what the buyers want.

She was doing an urban chic theme for the two bedroom terrace pitching it to a couple without kids. Which you would have to be to pay the mortgage.

Jason was having a more scatter gun approach and pitching it to DINK’s, and young families.

I thought the gold team’s house was in better knick. However both teams had rip out the kitchens with pre-designed ones ready to be installed.

There were the usual dramas:

Kathy was criticised by Barry Dubois a number of times  for leaving the project to go and choose the furniture;

Lisa and Peter from team black got lost and rang in to get some help. I don’t know why she didn’t look up a map on her smart phone. She did this twice the second time was when they went in the completely wrong direction and went across the harbour bridge.

For a 47 year old Lisa is a tad dramatic. The highlight when she said to camera “I hadn’t had a drink of water in possibly in an hour, and I was panicking.”

Team captain Jason from WA, strong point is going to be the practical side not the styling as he said to Peter “how much shit did you get?”; and

It was good to see judges Robyn Holt, and Barry Dubois on location giving advice. Barry appears to be the hard arsed judge, whereas Robyn Holt sugar coats her criticism a bit more, and both gave some useful advice.

Brendan Moar, brought back the valuers through the houses, to see how much value was added.

The black team’s house was valued at $1,000,000, however the gold team was valued at $1,030,000 so Jason got pick a key to a house. I was a bit unclear on why they thought one was thought to have increased so much more than the other.

Jason picked the weatherboard at Parramatta to renovate. I don’t know why no one is going for the partially renovated house at St Peters as that looks like it has a lot of potential. I also nearly choked that a run down shop was bought for over $550,000 in Marrickville. Yes a blank canvas but a whole reconfiguration needs to occur.

Losing captain Kathy has to sit out the next challenge chose Bob to sit it out with her.  Her reasoning was he had already had an opportunity to get a key to the house in the chair challenge. I was gobsmacked I would have sat out Kelly saying to give the other people a chance to perform without his strong personality interfering with the others.

Which contestants are you liking or disliking at the moment?

1 Paul { 07.27.11 at 9:01 am }

Surely Kelly is on the Persian rugs.

2 Maz { 07.27.11 at 9:14 am }

Thought the floor covering in the Black Team’s house was very 1980s and incredible tacky for a $1m property. If I were acquiring a terrace for that kind of money I would want a bespoke kitchen not a flat pack from Bunnings so why bother putting it in if is to be ripped out again.

Anyway, there is a new game to be played. Spot the must have accessory that appears in both the Renovators and the Block. First entrant is the black and white Paris map print as featured in Rod & Tanya’s study and in the background of the Gold Team’s furniture stash.

3 Reality Raver { 07.27.11 at 9:18 am }

Paul – you could say that but I couldn’t possibly comment.

Maz – good point about the Bunnings kitchen, I thought the straight line one in the black teams house looked nicer. However the gold team kitchen looked more practical. I would be taking a close look at the mosaic tiles that guy was putting on as he was being a tad slap dash.

Also I think you may have spotted a trend re: the Paris prints

4 Dazza { 07.27.11 at 9:30 am }

Good start to the show so far. Tall Jason in our house is referred to as “Robert Barone”. I was waiting for him to go “Everybody Loves Raymond”

5 Joseph Skyrim { 07.27.11 at 9:56 am }

Watched this for the first time and while I was happy the tall dude (+ team) won it, I was quite startled that those houses would go for 1 mil each. o_o In my humble opinion they both looked like crap even after being renovated.

The dude who didn’t want to inhale the dust was hilarious. I’ll just stare at these plans for a few minutes… then run upstairs to.. uh.. do something. What? Don’t lift from the legs? Oops I just did and one of the legs came off. Here let me put that upright… oh yeah did you know one of the legs came off? It was totally your fault deputy dude. Its the dust man. Gets in my face. Team meeting? F-that, lemme go dig a hole in some plants instead! 😀

6 RarelySeen { 07.27.11 at 9:56 am }

The editor from MasterChef has come over here! It is the same format exactly. So my little jokes about MasterPlumbers & MasterSurgeons is coming to fruition, damn you Ch.10!
Loved watching Kelly melt down about the dust, was the dust full of asbestos perhaps? He gives good tv RR.
Leader of the Black team is my new tv villain. Her sense of entitlement and justification towards leading the team because of being in real estate and living in the area was rubbish!
The yellow team looked much happier in their collective consciousness.

7 Mia { 07.27.11 at 10:24 am }

Kelly is just plain weird.
I’m not happy about Bob having to sit out the next challenge.

8 Chunks { 07.27.11 at 11:13 am }

Kelly has either been on the Mullumbimby Madness too long or has serious ADHD. Possibly both. But think how much more entertaining it’s going to be for the viewers having him there. The contestants, not so much. Jason’s a bit of a case too. My favourite so far is Peter.

You don’t get much for your money in Sydney (or any capital) these days but that shop takes the cake given that it’s not a large block and most of Marrickville is right under the flight path for the airport. Just can’t understand why you wouldn’t take the half-finished place in St Peters, although again there are flight path issues.

9 smauge { 07.27.11 at 11:44 am }

Why oh WHY did Kathy choose Bob to sit out instead of Krazy Kelly?

10 akris { 07.27.11 at 11:58 am }

@Joseph Skyrim: are you from Sydney?

Unfortunately $1M doesn’t buy much in all of Sydney, let alone Rozelle.

11 Joseph Skyrim { 07.27.11 at 12:07 pm }

@akris – Close enough. I’ve seen better homes in the Hornsby area for half that price (currently looking to buy :P). Ofcourse given that I prefer to stay away from the CBD and water of any description probably helps with keeping the price down in the places I’m interested in.

12 smauge { 07.27.11 at 12:14 pm }

Which Jason Chunks? Robert Barone or the other one who we in this house refer to as JJ (just to save the confusion)

13 Lebay { 07.27.11 at 12:17 pm }

Kelly reminds me of a mate I used to have that would have to go and visit his orchy bottle billybong before he could think…. Im thinking Kelly may have been a little too far away from his plastic mate for too long…

14 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 12:46 pm }

Kelly looks like one of the zonked out tradies used to erect the stage for Woodstock.

15 Richard { 07.27.11 at 1:08 pm }

I want to know how Kelly thinks you can renovate without having any dust. Perhaps he hires big extractor fans for the windows?

16 HR { 07.27.11 at 1:17 pm }

Yup, Kelly is definitely a weirdo…as is I suspect Jason J too (totally using this as my reference: http://therenovatorstv.com.au/contestants.htm … would never be able to remember so many names otherwise)
I liked Joanne in ep 1 & also liking Christie (who apparently starred in ‘Ship to Shore’ as a kid as ‘Sally Johnson’)

@ Paul What does ” on the Persian rugs” mean?

17 seepi { 07.27.11 at 1:27 pm }

I’m thinking persian rugs is a bit of rhyming slang.

I think Kelly may have done a few too many persian rugs in his past. I lost all respect for the Black team leader when she picked Bob to sit out and not Kelly. He is a nutter through and through – and if he did have a real issue with the dust, the way to deal with it would be to quietly mention he needed 5 mins outside, not to storm around shouting and trying to get everyone else to leave.

Jason J I also wouldn’t like to work with, but he does seem to have practical skills.

I was unsure why gold team won also.,

And I am depressed about these kitchens. Nearly every kitchen they show and say ‘kitchen must come out’ is better than my last kitchen.

And what was with all the white painting on white walls already – where was the gutsy feature wall or wallpaper or anything bright and dramatic?

18 AnonyMousse { 07.27.11 at 1:55 pm }

Gave the show another look – seeing all these places with 4 times the space of my flat is quickly depressing me.

I’m surprised no-one mentioned the middle-aged woman on Big Guy’s team who said she should have been put in charge of design because she’s “made millions” off of renovating. Guess her motivation for being on the show isn’t money, then.

Which might be good – a gigantic pissing contest between 24 people trying to prove they’re the best renovator should be more interesting than just 24 people fighting over a cash prize. Ego/professional pride adds an interesting dimension to these things.

19 RarelySeen { 07.27.11 at 2:41 pm }

And here I was thinking ‘persian rugs’ was some kind of gentleman’s reference to the hookah pipe. Yes seepi.
Agree Anonymousse re billionaire renovator & the herewith egos.

20 Chunks { 07.27.11 at 2:45 pm }

Yes, why would you want to be on a show like this if you’ve made millions? Surely you could just buy some billboards and put your picture on them if you just want to be famous.

21 smauge { 07.27.11 at 2:59 pm }

Is the woman you speak of the one with the blonde hair and collagen lips? We branded her the series bitch in this house. Every series has got to have one!

22 HR { 07.27.11 at 3:56 pm }

thanks for the slang-talk info guys :)

what i dint get is the ‘if you lose as captain this week, you dont get a chance next week’ clause…what was that supposed to achieve? did they think the contestants would back out from wanting to be captain because of that clause? the way I see it, if they back out of being captain they are missing on one chance anyway right?
I suspect the producers wanted some drama..?

& I was also expecting Kathy to take out Kelly…wish she had been there to see his behavior with Michael regarding the ‘dont hold the leg’ thing…

23 Jason { 07.27.11 at 4:30 pm }

I think sitting Bob out of the next challenge was a smart strategic move… he is strong competition and the less chances he has to get the keys to a house from a strategic point of view.. the better.

Kelly has no hope of winning a challenge… so no point sitting him out.

Michael is being portayed well on the show so far… whether it is just the way that the show is edited or not.. I find myself hoping he will get through….

24 Sooty { 07.27.11 at 5:48 pm }

I like bong boy. The only one I can’t stand so far is that Christie or Chrissie who did the little girl’s room – with her hair in two mini bunches on top of her head and a little girl baby-voice. Gar!

25 brain dead dave { 07.27.11 at 5:53 pm }

The main danger to the contestants is believing the Ch 10 bulldust.

26 AnonyMousse { 07.27.11 at 8:48 pm }

HR – now that tonight’s episode has started, I think the answer to your question is that if the extra person hadn’t been taken out, there would have been 22 people. Can’t divide that into teams with anything but 2 teams of 11 (presumably too big for the second round) or 11 teams of 2 (which would work with some challenges but not others)

27 Casual Reader { 07.27.11 at 9:22 pm }

Is it me or do others also think the host and judges sound like droids and appearing awkward, but the contestants are the ones that speaks naturally…

28 TJ { 07.28.11 at 9:58 am }

Glad we’re not the only house to tag contestants rather than be bothered remembering their names.

For us, Kathy (black team captain) is Kate Langbrook.

Agree also – Kelly’s a freak. But I do think it’s a bit of game play for more screen time. Much like Josh & Jenna on The Block. It’s easier to create a storyline/character with the freak/bitch.

29 smauge { 07.28.11 at 2:20 pm }

Not sure Kelly would be that calculated. I’m not convinced he knows the cameras are even on.