Matt Beyer – Said Masterchef House Was Like Prison

Has Matt Beyer been let off the media leash by Channel Ten? As at a launch of a bar last night he said the Masterchef house was like prison with no sex.

I am unclear if he is saying you have more chance of getting sex in prison, and that is probably quite true.

Matt Beyer’s long term girlfriend Jessica Cittadin also was forthright about the contestants access to the outside world.

The news.com.au article states:

EVICTED Melbourne MasterChef contestant Mat Beyer and his girlfriend, Jess Cittadini, said living in the Channel 10 reality cooking show house was “worse than prison”.

“You are in complete lock-down … it is like prison with no sex,” Beyer said at the launch of Little Red Pocket in Little Collins St on Tuesday night, the Herald Sun reported.

“And in prison you get more phone calls,” Cittadini added.

The 24-year-old was booted off MasterChef earlier this month after smuggling in a smartphone to talk to his girlfriend.

While Beyer was understanding about the situation – “it was a life-changing experience” – his partner of 4 1/2 years fired up. “It is not like we are a new couple. We have been with each other every day for 4 1/2 years and all of a sudden he is a stranger to me,” Cittadini said.

“There was a lot of things going on in my life at the time and I needed a bit more support from him.

“I can’t talk to him and they make it out to be such a big deal, and I am like, hang on a second, it is only a cooking show, he hasn’t actually broken any laws, he didn’t use it to hurt anyone, he didn’t cheat – they can go and get f——.”

Former IT worker Beyer said he was pushed to apply for the cooking show by his former boss and that he regretted smuggling in the phone.

“But I don’t,” Cittadini replied.

Next year Shine needs to look at the access the contestants do get with their family and friends, and whether it needs to be increased.

However this pair should realise the reason they were at this launch of the bar last night was probably due to Matt’s time in the Masterchef house.

1 Culianry Boner { 07.28.11 at 11:29 am }

Celibacy or prison sex?? Hand me my robes and cruxifix please.
Matt’s obviously got different tastes to mine.

2 Chunks { 07.28.11 at 11:38 am }

Oh please, suck it up princess. Both of you. Who forced Matt to go on this show again? Seriously, sounds like being in that prison would be a welcome escape from the Gothic Black Hole that is his girlfriend. Pffft.

3 Paul { 07.28.11 at 11:47 am }

The limited time with friends and family is ridiculous.

Not only does it put undue and unfair pressure on the contestants it also limits the pool of those wishing to compete on future series.

What family or career orientated person is going to want to go on the show under these circumstances in the future.

Are we going to end up with contestants who are either students, unemployed or pensioners?

I understand the difficulties logistically but surely a better solution can be found.

4 AngelSN86 { 07.28.11 at 12:10 pm }

Why did he have to open his big mouth and whinge? He got most of the public back on his side with all the stuff about his mum missing and now they all hate him again and think he and his gf are whingers (judging by the comments on the story I read on ninemsn I think it was).

Yes, the situation of being stuck in the house with no contact sucks. But its the same in pretty much any reality show. Big Brother, Survivor, The Amazing Race etc all require the contestants to go without seeing their families for extended periods of time. Its part of the show and he knew that before he went in. He signed a contract with all the rules in it. As I said in one of the previous articles about him, if he knew he couldn’t handle being away from his precious gf, why didn’t he drop out at the Top 50 stage? Or when he made the Top 24, like the AF guy? He made the choice to go in and then he made the choice to smuggle in a phone, thereby breaking the rules. I have no sympathy for him at all. Others have left behind their wives and husbands of probably more than 10 years, what makes his 4.5 year relationship so much more special than everyone else’s?

5 essjayeff { 07.28.11 at 1:01 pm }

I’m really interested in why Kate has different rules about family content. I suspect it’s because of some of the negative comments that have been levelled at mum’s with young families in earlier seasons.

Perhaps the regular commentary by people about how unfair it is will change Shine’s thoughts on this policy.

I also think it’s completely uneccesary. It does nothing to enahnce these contestents ability to “grow”, to learn techiniques or become better cooks. It can only be a technique to induce stress into contestants and so bring about tears or fights.

AngelISN86 Both Survivor and The Amazing Race take contestants away from their families for approx 30 days.

The Masterchef contestants that are still in the competition have been locked up (apart from we think two short breaks) since January.

Mat has never once said he didn’t know rules, not has he protested his removal from the show. So they were at a bar opening, someone took their photo and asked them about the issue. I don’t see how that is whinging or whining or anything else.

Neither of the are protested the result of their actions.

Get a grip folks – it’s a show *allegedly* about cooking.

6 brain dead dave { 07.28.11 at 1:06 pm }

You don’t get five hundred bucks a week in jail.

They’ll line up like lemmings again next year,with their “passion”, their “dream” and nauseating back stories.

7 davsimp { 07.28.11 at 1:23 pm }

PMSL BDD, I just had an image of next years contestants all lined and up hunched over with lumbago.

8 Culinary Boner { 07.28.11 at 1:31 pm }

Matt’s “babe” seems a right charmer:- “I am like, hang on a second, it is only a cooking show, he hasn’t actually broken any laws, he didn’t use it to hurt anyone, he didn’t cheat – they can go and get f——.”

Just disappointed she didn’t say they could also “…and get a dog up ’em”.

Next year I suggest that add a tatoo parlour to the MCA Compound (a.k.a. Stalag Katingal Gulag on the Harbour), to keep the Gen Y’s happy and distracted.

9 Link Time – Mat Beyer Compares MasterChef to Prison | Luxury Brand { 07.28.11 at 3:42 pm }

[…] Mat Beyer &#115ay&#115 Mast&#101rC&#104&#101f w&#97s “l&#105ke &#112r&#105s&#111n w&#105th n&#111 … – R&#101ali&#116&#121 Ravings […]

10 Jo { 07.28.11 at 11:34 pm }

The rules are harsh and probably something to be addressed – next season. Every single person in this season signed a contract detailing what was required of them and as Adam demonstrated, they could drop out. It’s pretty poor form for them to come out and complain about it afterwards.

11 Link Time – Mat Beyer Compares MasterChef to Prison | Herbal ReMedies { 07.29.11 at 6:07 am }

[…] Mat Beyer says MasterChef was “like prison with no sex” – Reality Ravings […]

12 Will { 07.29.11 at 10:11 am }

From a former Masterchef producer (via twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/lakibaker/status/96381499804356608)

“Contestants on reality shows are made aware of rules before entering & are asked on numerous occasions if they fully understand”

13 alicia { 07.29.11 at 11:18 am }

Matt shouldve known he was going to the masterchef house not the playboy mansion

14 Emma { 07.30.11 at 12:03 am }

Sounds to me like essjayeff is right – “So they were at a bar opening, someone took their photo and asked them about the issue. I don’t see how that is whinging or whining or anything else.” I think the media’s making a big deal of something which didn’t need to make headlines. I just feel sorry for Mat and Jess (especially Mat who didn’t even say anything new!) and hope the media will leave them alone soon. As if Jess would say that it was great hardly seeing her boyfriend for months on end – when asked, she’s say it was tough, and that’s exactly what she did. Big whoop – nothing new or surprising here.