The Renovators – The Front Face Challenge

It was a big challenge with a big prize, keys to the last two houses were up for grabs. However first they had to split into teams of two and design and landscape the front of a house.

The contestants are talented most of the frontages looked fantastic, particularly in the four hour time frame.

They also got to pick who they wanted to work with. Natalia had done her back in and Joanne was in to do the hard yacker. Natalia was partnered with Jarrod who I have not seen before tonight.

August and Ellie matched up and wanted to paint stripes on the front.  They were warned by the judges that this would be a time suck but they continued. On top of that Ellie then changed the colour scheme “as she did not want to compromise her vision” which added more time. They did not complete their house and lanscaping and it looked incomplete.

August was not happy at all. The love they were feeling for each other at the beginning challenge had evaporated.

Michael and Fiona did a fabulous job on their frontage. A great mix of practicality with design flair.

Brendan Moar’s favourite was Lisa and Jason as he thought it was the most cohesive garden. The purple walls and red door worked well and it had a lovely moroccan theme.

Kelly contained the crazy and gave a restrained  lovely job which had a beachy vibe.

The teams with the highest number of votes were Lisa and Michael, and Michael and Fiona. The winner with 67 votes were Fiona and Michael.

Lisa must be feeling she is always the bridemaid never the bride.

Michael and Fiona then went head to head in a flat pack challenge, to decide who would get the first pick of the houses.

They had to build a chest of drawers but without the instructions. Peter said to Robyn “Michael will know how to do the rest of the drawers once he does one,”. She responded “I don’t know is that how it is done?” Clearly she has never come face to face with the delights of the flatpack.

Michael a builder easily won. He picked the Blacktown cottage to renovate, leaving the Marrickville shop front to Fiona.

In Sunday night’s episode we find out what happens next. How the contestants will be split up between the houses and the first two contestants will be eliminated.

1 smauge { 07.29.11 at 7:32 am }

I can’t believe no one picked the shop! It seems to me to be one of the biggest potential profit. Ah well, Fiona looks like she’s making the most of it now. I’m glad they won, I like them both.
I have NO IDEA what’s happening next, but I did suspect all the others were not going to just be evicted from the competition.

2 AnonyMousse { 07.29.11 at 7:58 am }

The host confirmed in the 7pm show that there’d be teams for each house, and that the team leader is not safe from elimination before other team members. I wonder how they’ll handle picking the teams.

3 skye { 07.29.11 at 8:19 am }

I liked the look of the shop too – a blank canvas!

Glad those two won as well, but I am very intrigued to know how the show is going to work from now on in.

4 smauge { 07.29.11 at 8:33 am }

I said to my hubby last night I wonder if the others will end up working on the houses.

5 Paul { 07.29.11 at 8:41 am }

Watching it last night all I could think of was how expensive would this show be to make.

6 seepi { 07.29.11 at 9:35 am }

August should have stood up for himself a bit more. Stripes were actually a good idea, but they should have started with the window section, and then just painted the rest of the house one colour when they ran out of time. As for changing the colours – very silly, and whadda ya know – the vision’ was half finished.

I liked the colours of Kelly’s house, but the wagon wheels were one stpe too far into kitcsh for me.

Jason J seemed to rein in the crazy too. Maybe some are better in small groups.

I liked the purple colour for hte fence, but I didn’t really get all the fuss about the wooden woven fence…

7 Chunks { 07.29.11 at 9:36 am }

Shockingly expensive, but it’s possible they’ve launched at the right time with nobody buying much in an overpriced market and turning instead to renovating their existing properties. Just can’t see people watching six nights a week though, or does the frequency reduce after this week?

8 smauge { 07.29.11 at 9:45 am }

Seepi – by “reigning in the crazy” I presume you’re leaving out the fact that he spent half the episode with Lisa’s scarf on his head.

9 seepi { 07.29.11 at 9:54 am }

Ah well – maybe that is what it takes to keep him happy. At least he didn’t indulge in any diva antics, refusing to use a certain colour, or waxing lyrical about his ‘vision’.

Vision is good at the first discussions, then they just need to do some hard work, and not mess about with visions.

10 brain dead dave { 07.29.11 at 11:00 am }

Did not need to see about three inches of Michael’s ar$e crack when he was bending over to open his flatpack. Someone should have had “the vision” to step up to the plate and plaster over it.

11 Chunks { 07.29.11 at 11:42 am }

BDD, builder’s crack is one of the accepted hazards of the construction and renovation industry.

12 brain dead dave { 07.29.11 at 11:48 am }

Okay Chunks,props to the producers for “keeping it real”.

13 Beck { 07.29.11 at 2:41 pm }

Just curious – I may have missed this – but is the “profit” over and above the reno budget too, or just the house price?
Something about Lisa’s very-wide-opened eyes freaks me out. Also she mustn’t watch much reality TV as “if you hear your name, step forward” doesn’t mean you’ve won!
I think it’s been clear from the outset that teams will be working on the houses and it’s potentially anyone’s game. They keep stressing “whoever is holding the keys” which means they can be passed to others throughout the series, following votes/challenges/eliminations etc