The Renovators – Channel Ten Will Be Sticking With It

With the plethora of design reality TV shows on TV at the moment the networks are fighting it out for the viewer.

One show which is not faring as well in the ratings stakes is Channel Ten’s The Renovators which is having trouble hitting the magic million mark. However they have confirmed in the Daily Telegraph today that they will be sticking with it  as they are confident the audience will grow.

I am really liking this show, and when Masterchef Australia finishes next week, The Renovators will probably fill the void, however The Block is still at the front of the ratings.

1 Rocky { 07.30.11 at 2:35 pm }

The Renovators has only been on a week. Give it a chance. The way these network execs make their decisions about programming is absolutely ridiculous. No wonder we have such poor TV fare. Seinfield was even in the basement during it’s first year.

A tv show exactly like The Block aired in USA about 8 years ago with exactly the same format as this current one in Australia incl. auction at the end everything exactly the same. I forget what it was called. I loved it . It was cancelled after 1 season. Go figure.

2 Lebay { 07.30.11 at 3:20 pm }

I think the Renovators will pick up when they ditch the challenges and get to the point.

3 brain dead dave { 07.30.11 at 3:31 pm }

Phar Lap didn’t win for quite a few starts at the beginning.

“Let’s not kill the baby while it’s in the crib” ….Quincy Jones.

4 sue { 07.30.11 at 4:48 pm }

I am loving this show, and also Top Design.

I am a bit sick of the overkill in ad placement and recaps on the Block, and dragging things out over the week, when the content of each show- the actual reno part, is about 10 mins. I do like the Block, just not so much how it is being produced/presented.

I know Renovators and Top Design are doing it too, but their renos/challenges are better, so it is not so noticeable- well to me anyway!!

I am looking forward to seeing how the houses are renovated on budget and who does the best job!

5 Fides { 07.31.11 at 11:33 am }

Well apparently they’re squeezing an episode of Renovators in between 2 Masterchef episodes next Sunday night – according to the TV guide I saw today, next Sun has MC finale challenge 6.30, Renovators 7.30, MC winners announcement 8.30. I thought it was wrong, but unbelievably, it looks like that’s how they’re gonna do it – expose the show in a MC sandwich. Hope the ratings for all bomb.

6 Fiona { 07.31.11 at 2:24 pm }

I am liking the Renovators too (also Top Design) like many. Much better than the Block, I only really tune in to Sundays now to see the finished rooms and judging, the rest is so much filler and mini dramas that I have lost interest. Renovators is much more aspirational and less soap opera.

7 brain dead dave { 07.31.11 at 4:27 pm }

Fides -“Well apparently they’re squeezing an episode of Renovators in between 2 Masterchef episodes next Sunday night ”

That’s what I call a $hit sandwich for viewers.

8 Fides { 07.31.11 at 4:43 pm }

It’s a rather unpalatable idea isn’t it? I thought the antics for ratings and disdain shown for viewers couldn’t get any worse this year, but this absolutely takes the cake.

When Shine gets MC next year, I expect they’ll be doing huge cross promotions – MC team challenge is to cater for the Renovators cast and crew while the Renovators challenge is to create kitchens for the teams.

9 brain dead dave { 07.31.11 at 4:56 pm }

Someone will have the “vision” to create a walk in cravat wardrobe for Jowlsy.

10 Pollywaffle { 07.31.11 at 5:08 pm }

BDD what will they cook for the tradies? Dimmies and Chips using a Heston mirage made out of meringue and set semolina?

11 brain dead dave { 07.31.11 at 5:15 pm }

No problems getting a blow torch to scorch those proscuitto wraps that go around the undercooked Dimmies.

Best keep Kelly in the dark about “tomato dust ” ,too.

12 littlepetal { 07.31.11 at 7:11 pm }

I haven’t watch any episodes of the Renovators and I don’t think I will. I am sure there will be plenty of drama and tears and maybe back stabbing. I can’t see how 4 persons (including the team leader) working in one house and you have to try to eliminate the team leader to be the eventual winner of the 6 houses. I could foresee lots of drama, just like MC

13 Fides { 07.31.11 at 7:24 pm }

Kelly would be totally freaking out man. George had better make him some soil to play with.

The pink scarf lady (Lisa?) would do well in the Cravat wardrobe challenge.