Masterchef Australia – Dani Is Not The Only One With Math Issues

Ok I apologise to Dani about bagging her out about her maths yesterday about her not creating a recipe that fit into the 90 minute time frame. This disease must be contagious on the Masterchef set as tonight’s challenge the judges and producers set the final four a challenge that was not achieveable in the time frame.

If Shine Australia is looking at what they need to fix for next year’s series one issue they need to consider is giving the contestants a sensible time to cook the dish. Tonight again they should have been given an extra ten minutes to ensure they had a shot of actually plating up a cooked dish, and it would have still created the tension of them rushing to finish it.

Even Matt Preston looked pissed off about it.  When talking about Kate’s dish he said he had seen the amount of work in the dish and was really disappointed for Kate. “With so much work in it I find it quite upsetting,” Matt said.

Not one of them dished up a fully cooked terrine, and I don’t think it was their fault at all.  Gary Mehigan tried to justify the time frame given by saying the terrine was tested fifteen times and the timeframe was appropriate. It was like they knew the online forums would be debating this issue.

The other stupid thing tonight was the scene where Michael was trying to trick them into thinking that it was an Adriano Zumbo challenge. That plot line was unnecessary.

Kate’s terrine was first to be judged and it was the most undercooked.  Gary said he was not going to eat it. They thought the condiments were good.

Maggie was impressed by Alana’s cool. The problem for Alana is this is final’s week, and I just don’t think I know her as she has been so restrained throughout the competition. For someone who has trained as an actress you would think she would come across as more dynamic. Again undercooked terrine and good condiments.

Dani apparently had made the best figs. However she did not serve up walnut bread as she forgot to put walnuts in it.  Her terrine was under cooked. She had not turned up the oven temperature, if she had she may just have had a cooked terrine.

Michael managed to get his cooked more then the others, but it was still underdone, it was the best of a undercooked lot.

The judges pontificated and then put all four in the elimination challenge. I thought this was wrong, they judges should have picked two and if I was pointing the finger it would be Kate because her terrine was so undercooked, and Dani for not plating up the walnut bread.

1 smauge { 08.02.11 at 9:55 am }

I also like the Zumbo fake out. I don’t care who’s idea it was, the result was funny. I don’t remember seeing the label on the butter packet. It seemed pretty crumpled, so if it was meant as an advertisement it failed with me!
Missotto – Michael got to choose who did what in the UN challenge as his prize from the previous challenge. Why wouldn’t he use that to his advantage by trying to trip the others up? That was the WHOLE POINT of the prize! It would be like getting the Maggie Beer advantage and saying “no thanks. I’d rather not have a better advantage than the others.” Half the challenge rewards are based on that principle.

2 Fides { 08.02.11 at 10:19 am }

Missotto – in addition to what smauge said, Michael had no idea it was in the UN. IIRC he was just given the recipes and told to assign dishes. Though had he known, I don’t know what he could or should have done differently.

re the 15 times testing, as someone mentioned, there must have been problems if it required 15 tests – it’s not like it’s their own untested recipe anyway. Unless the testers (there is a chef who operates behind the scenes and does all the testing for pressure tests/immunity pin challenges etc) had to do it unhindered, then multiple times with one hand tied behind their back to liken their skills to our F4.

3 fairybreadgirl { 08.02.11 at 10:58 am }

I’m annoyed that I’ve watched 2 episodes that amounted to nothing – no eliminations, an advantage to Michael that didn’t translate to anything – get to the final and get it over with!

4 Anonymous { 08.02.11 at 11:22 am }

A terrine cooked to 57 degrees and taken out of the oven is highly unlikely to ever attain an internal temp of 67 degrees (which is still much lower than the recommended safe internal temp of between 71-75 degrees (for poultry and bround/minced meat). Yuck – blame the recipe.

5 JaniceG { 08.02.11 at 11:25 am }

Uneven wrap-up in The Age today, but I liked this line: “Eat my shorts, Zumbo,” [Maggie Beer] adds silently. “Everyone managed to make your easy peasy vanilla cake.”

The recap also has the same opinion of the terrine that I did, which is that even Maggie’s looked like dog food.

6 Chunks { 08.02.11 at 11:27 am }

Missotto, it’s a competition not an equal opportunity love parade. A challenge is presented and there is a reward which will hopefully work to the winner’s advantage. You might as well say it was unfair of Dani or Hayden or Allie to win their ammunity pins.

7 Missotto { 08.02.11 at 11:31 am }

Joseph Skyrim. the terrine is served cold, so in the real world there would be zero time issues, in fact it’s better made the day before it’s eaten so it compresses in the fridge under a weight and then it cuts like a dream without crumbling. “Resting” is not really relevant.

8 Missotto { 08.02.11 at 11:44 am }

OK, I take it back about Michael, but can I still blame the producers for giving a contestant the power to undermine the quality of the team’s cooking on that special occasion? I wonder if the Ambassador knew before he entrusted MC with the finger food. Luckily it turned out alright, except for poor Billy.

9 Slammer { 08.02.11 at 11:48 am }

Didn’t Gary and George both say to contestants- Yes, that’s 57deg. Let’s go… So the contestants moved on to other tasks. Credit to the contestants who ‘felt’ something was wrong! They kept putting the Terrine back into the oven.
Mat’s dirty because he knew that his chubby chums had their fingers in the Terrine as well…

10 kleenex mum { 08.02.11 at 11:50 am }

Having watched the block last night with the renovators doing cooking, ,maybe we should get the MC’s over to the block to do some reno’s maybe Dani could throw together a flat pack kitchen and forget to put in the screws, how could she possible prepare Walnut bread and not put in the bloody Walnuts, this girl is by far a professional, she is a joke, I had the kleenex ready for her when she realised her mistake, was actualy disappointed when she stay dry eyed, I look at her and think she treats this whole experience as one big joke…. maybe the producers put in place some one like dani just to annoy the shit out of the veiwers
it works. i would love to watch at least one show with out her in it

11 essjayeats { 08.02.11 at 11:56 am }

I’ve made quite a few Maggie recipes – and as much as I love her, I agree with lynff that the cooking times are often inaccurate. I also think that using boiled water may have made a difference and I didn’t see anybody with a kettle on their bench?

My thoughts are that it was rigged for failure so that all four could go into an elimination challenge and build drama – we’re certainly not getting any drama from the cooking.

I still think it comes down to the quality of potential contestants is severly reduced by the requirement to be wholed up in Sydney for 7.5 months.

Bring on the new producers.

12 escruffier { 08.02.11 at 12:24 pm }

Imagine, coming into finals, you were thinking, I don’t really like one (or more) of these contestants – how could we definately get to choose who to boot? *lightbulb* I know! – we make them all do a physically impossible challenge so we get a crack at them all; and follow that up with the a highly subjective ‘apples and oranges’, cook anything you like challenge. But that would make last night one big masterfarce…

13 Rocky { 08.02.11 at 12:56 pm }

Reading over the comments there is a huge consensus that the production screwed up the timing in this challenge. When all 4 fail in the same way, it’s not them, it’s the recipe’s timing The show knew it, ergo Gary’s explanation.
It still should have been Dani and Kate in the elimination. They were able to get rid of Hayden, Billy and many more deserved for much less, why not Finally put Dani in an elimination she possibly won’t be able to cry her way out of?

14 Skod { 08.02.11 at 1:32 pm }

escruffier> I’d rather they cook something different, rather than follow a recipe, which is oh so boring.

Too bad we can’t send the production team into elimination.

15 wallah { 08.02.11 at 1:38 pm }

Maggie “I did it for the lulz” Beer…poor thing, she looked horrified.

16 escruffier { 08.02.11 at 1:42 pm }

I’m with you on the boring bit, Skod.

Contractually, production has already been eliminated.

17 Jess { 08.02.11 at 2:36 pm }

With other (whole) meats, the internal temperature rising by 10°C during resting is a reasonable expectation. But I’ve never cooked a terrine, so I wouldn’t know how it applies in this situation…

And, @Anonymous, we eat ‘unsafe’ food all the time. Soft-boiled eggs — unsafe. Rare or medium-rare steak? Unsafe!

18 noog { 08.02.11 at 3:14 pm }

Jess, sorry you are wrong, the internal temp of whole meats does not rise 10’c resting. How? Where is the energy coming from?
We do eat rare meat, but with ground meat this is considered unsafe. Without going into too much depth on th subject, you will find that with whole meat only the outer surface of the cut has bacteria on it, it can not penetrate past this outer layer. We cook the outer layer. With ground meat however, increases the surface area for contamination as well as from hands & machines. When minced and formed these outer layers are now in the center of the meat product.

19 Tim { 08.02.11 at 3:50 pm }

BTW, Zumbo is coming up on Thursday

20 Tom { 08.02.11 at 4:17 pm }

btw would you really put up a dish that had to be tested 15 times in the competition.
This just proves there was something really wrong and tricky with the dish itself not with the contestantss

21 Fedup { 08.02.11 at 5:10 pm }

What a joke. Get to the final and put us all out of our misery. It’s not cooking it’s a popularity contest and we all know who should have gone!

22 alicia { 08.02.11 at 5:12 pm }

No one talked about how George growled at dani “well we have no bread” and yesterday Gary hit her with the recipie
Looks like she is finally getting to the judges and hopefully they will send her home today

23 Skod { 08.02.11 at 5:48 pm }

Prediction for tonight: Dani is 2nd last again and Alana bombs out.

24 What a farce. { 08.02.11 at 5:54 pm }

Noog is correct re the difference between chopped and whole meat. Furthermore, chicken is particularly prone to have a relatively high load of bacteria inside and out compared to a roast or big cut of steak – that’s why higher temperatures are recommended. As to “we eat unsafe food all the time” – what people choose to risk eating in the privacy of the home is one thing, but a restaurant that serves uncooked chicken (ie chicken not cooked and held at safe temperatures) is not on. Mass food poisoning anyone?

25 alicia { 08.02.11 at 5:56 pm }

To tell the truth I really honestly hope none of them win and all of them are eliminated
None of these cooks can cook and i still cant get over the fact that Gary called them the 4 best cooks we’ve ever had on Masterchef

26 Jasmin { 08.02.11 at 6:53 pm }

Alicia – what if the opposite happens and they all win!

Maybe Trinny and Susannah could assist with a fashion cookbook ‘What Not To Wear In The Kitchen’ or maybe even just ‘What Not To Cook’.

27 RealityRanter { 08.02.11 at 7:11 pm }

“Grease a 1 litre terrine and then place the 3 bay leaves on the base of the mould then line the mould with the skin from the chicken, place 1/3 of the farce on the base then ½ half of the chicken breast and ½ of the raisins, then another 1/3 of the farce then the remaining amount of chicken breast and raisins then top off with the remaining amount of the farce (press gently down to pack in tight). Retain any left over farce in fridge.”

Farce, indeed.

28 smauge { 08.03.11 at 7:22 am }

I thought it was spelt fass. and when did we start calling offal farce anyway? Or is it something else?

29 Jess { 08.03.11 at 8:02 am }

@noog
The internal temperature rises as the existing heat is distributed from the outside to the inside of the item. Basically, the hotter surface cooks the interior. That’s partially why we rest meat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_over_cooking

30 noog { 08.03.11 at 12:48 pm }

@Jess, Wiki really, great reference. Cited on the 03 MAY 2011, this is cutting edge stuff.
LOL. You must be right then!
Do you still go with 10’C.
It is the reason meat gets rested hey? Really are you sure?

31 What a farce. { 08.03.11 at 4:28 pm }

A farce is just a meat paste or fine mince usually used for stuffing (ie forcemeat). Back to internal temperatures – yes some heat will transfer from the outside to the inside, but as the original internal temperature (57C) is only sitting in a waterbath (maximum temp – on leaving the oven 100C – from then on it declines), I would be astounded if it reached a further 10 degrees in the middle with 10-15 min resting period. Furthermore as those terrines would have been reading bacteria for the entire preparation and cooking in the oven time (because they are NOT in the temperature zone where bacteria cease to grow), the load of bacteria would be very huge. The larger the load of bacteria, the longer it needs to be held at a bacteria killing temperature – which as mentioned before is above 67C. I think as a public service people need to be warned about following this recipe – it looks toxic to me.

32 What a farce- continued. { 08.03.11 at 4:28 pm }

33 breeding not reading. { 08.03.11 at 4:31 pm }

typo in above

34 Jess { 08.03.11 at 8:20 pm }

@noog
I don’t know what you’re saying. Why does the the reference date matter? Just as long as it was written after the invention of thermometers, you know, I think we’re going to be okay.
And I said it was “partially” why. The process of carry-over cooking also involves the settling of juices, which is how it occurs. It’s all part of resting the meat.
You’re very obnoxious for someone who gets confused by, well, heat.

35 noog { 08.04.11 at 2:23 pm }

Jess, touche
How can I argue with you & your search engine.
“Carry over cooking” Fascinating, did you even read it or is it you don’t understand the difference between Fahrenheit & Celsius.
The reference you so gladly posted is hardly a reliable source. An Appliance company and a Publishing Agency, very scientific.
Yes obnoxious I may be, you sadly are an id10t.
GOODBYE