The Block – Jenna and Josh Are The Stand Out Team

Josh and Jenna as the youngest couple there are kicking some arse on the show. Again the judges are loving them, with their absolutely gorgeous kitchen.

However I think they have had the advantage of having the best house to work with. They had the room to put in a large dining table and a lounge room.

Interestingly enough neither Polly and Waz nor Rod and Tania did that. I thought Polly and Waz’s solution was a good one with a coffee table that would turn into a dining table.

The judges John McGrath and Neale Whittaker did make a good point about Rod and Tania’s they had the fantastic cooking kitchen with nowhere for anyone to eat it.

Katrina and Amie did a lovely kitchen as well and were unlucky to not win.

Great advertising for Freedom Kitchens (yes I am feeling the love for them at the moment look in my right hand column…)

The other thing I found interesting on the show was that it appeared Polly and Waz were unable to pay their builder, and that he was working for free. Obviously great advertising for him. But should that be allowable as they were given a budget. On the other hand Josh and Rod do have the skills to do the work for free.

What do you think? Did the best kitchen win?

1 sue { 08.08.11 at 10:17 am }

I preferred Rod & Tania’ kitchen, and they explained they wold have an outdoor eating area- common way to entertain these days, IMO. Did the judges not check the finishes of the cupobards, did Josh fix the problems pointed out by site manager, or what? I liked the white section of their kitchen, but hated the caravan cupobard look over the window.

I also felt it unfair that the judges could explain away dining area for Waz & Polly, but not even mention it for Rod & Tania.

I hated the lamiante wood look in J&J and P& W’s kitchens- agree it looked like caravan cupboards.

I did like the girls kitchen a lot :)

and there was a fudge/bad editing of the scores. when I watched it back- Rod & Tania got 9 for execution and then (apparently) 7 for design, later it was changed to 8 & 8. I couldn’t get a clear grab of the scoreboard as conveniently it was hardly shown.

so really if their design was 8 and their execution as per their original score of 9- they tied with Josh & Jenna. Correct me if I am wrong, but I replayed it 3 times to check!!!!

so no, I didn’t agree with the win…..

2 Hill Top Dreamer { 08.08.11 at 10:32 am }

I didn’t agree with the win. Especially when Rod And Tania had a 9 drop to an 8. I don’t like being treated like an idiot by a ‘reality’ show.

3 Wurstsemmel { 08.08.11 at 10:54 am }

Ditto. Rod and Tania put up a great kitchen.

Too many old caravanning memories I’d like to forget with those timber laminate cupboards.

They should rightly be feeling ripped off.

4 Wurstsemmel { 08.08.11 at 10:55 am }

PS I’d like to know how Freedom was able to cough up those kitchens, especially those with Caeserstone, for $15K. Where do we sign up?

5 Lebay { 08.08.11 at 12:21 pm }

I hated J&J’s kitchen, the induciton cooktop was bad, but those cheap horrid cupboards! I had to ask hubby if I had missed anything cos I initally thought that was part of the ‘progress’ montage. Oh it was horrid. I cant stand J&J or Polly. Maybe Im just getting old and crabby, but the whole sense of entitilement vibe is giving me the irrits

6 AJ { 08.08.11 at 12:27 pm }

I thought Rod and Tania had the nicest kitchen, but the challenge was for “kitchen and dining” so the complete lack of a table and chairs ensured that they wouldn’t win. Not that it is necessarily their fault – it’s such a small space to work with, but they could have down-sized their sofa and replaced the island bench with a table.

I didn’t mind Waz and Polly’s solution for the small space and I thought the judges were too harsh in their comments. Obviously, the table would be a “coffee table” unless the occupants had guests over, in which instance they would be sitting around the table chatting, not watching TV. I guess they could have gone with a galley style kitchen instead (like Kat and Amie), but then they would have been criticised for having a small kitchen. It was a lose-lose situation for them.

I didn’t mind Kat and Amie’s kitchen, but I don’t understand why they chose to position the fridge in their living room. I think the room would have looked much better if the fridge was at the opposite end of the kitchen section (in the “kitchen/dining” area) and the pantry was at the other end in the “living” section so that it simply looked like built-in cupboards. I just thought it looked bizarre having the fridge close enough to the sofa that you could reach across and grab a drink (although I guess such convenience would appeal to some buyers).

While I hated the sauna wall in Josh and Jenna’s kitchen and the impracticality of having a high gloss white finish on cupboard doors that you had to put your grubby hands on to open (as there were no handles), obviously they had the best space and were the only team who were able to include a good sized kitchen AND a dining table. There really wasn’t any contest this week, since it was clear they would win. I also thought their revised living room was an improvement, but actually looked a little bland without the colour/feature wall.

All in all, I don’t see how Josh and Jenna can lose. Their floor-plan is much better than any of the others with all the rooms on one floor (who wants to be running up and down stairs every time they want something from their bedroom) and with the combined living area that is actually big enough for a family to occupy without stepping on each other’s toes or eating meals off each other’s laps.

7 PollyB { 08.08.11 at 12:32 pm }

I replayed and it was originally 7 & 9, and later changed to 8 & 8.
I liked J&J’s the best. And the sisters dining area looked good, but such a small space. R&T had great cooking appliances but no space for table. I don’t like to sit around a sink to eat.

8 KG { 08.08.11 at 3:51 pm }

I find it strange in all the houses that given they are 3 bedroom homes they all only seem to have one x two or three seater lounge in living room. Not even enough chairs for residents if you have a kiddy or two – let alone any guests???

9 sue { 08.08.11 at 5:16 pm }

& what about Josh’s dodgy cabinetry/carpentry?? did that get fixed?? they didn’t show that and apparently that wasn’t checked as part of “execution”??????

10 Kate { 08.08.11 at 11:17 pm }

Great result – how can anyone say KAs was any good? go back and look at pics – they have like 3 functional cupboards. They could have added an island but noone who cooks could use that kitchen unless u are a one pot wonder. I love the induction top, sleek modern simple. Others had a pure electic flat-top stvoe but it wasnt an issue – only JJs was for not being gas. Such a rigged show. Glad that best design can prevail anway (thye can bais it toward the mummies in the stupid challenges all they like). I have looked at floor plans on real estate brochure and JJs is only one I could live in with sufficient space/cupboards.
Would nt the dodgey cabinetry bethe fault of freedm? Who knows if all had that issue- or just an agenda of hatefilled foreman. So glad Polly and Woz came last- awful awful kitchen of bad proportion. Nice kids but clueless.

11 sue { 08.09.11 at 7:10 am }

josh is in charge of kitchen/house reno, so if he says it is ok to cut corners with install- I imagine that is what that is what tradies would do…..

I cannot see how anyone can find the fake wood laminate attractive in either J & J or P & W’s kitchens- yuk!!!! they both lost me on that alone!!!!!

and what about the score changing?????????????????????????

12 Lisa { 08.09.11 at 4:25 pm }

J&J had my favourite kitchen and definitely my vote. I didn’t like the brown cupboard panelling, it was their only fault otherwise everything else worked. K&A actually had a really nice space, but I do not like black in a kitchen and the lack of cooking space. Which is another reason J&J were my favourites. For me, a dining area and kitchen should be warm and inviting and black is far too depressing and an eye sore. Really loved the dining lighting K&A went with, but felt that cup design was completely useless. Also the giant light J&J had was brilliant. I wasn’t sure how they were going to make it work but it definitely does. Their living room looks much nicer now as well.

P&W’s “table solution” was awful and I would never, ever want to live in a house that had that. I understand they tried an alternative solution but as a Melbournian, if I was going to pay to live in Richmond, I wouldn’t want that set up. Also R&T’s decision for an outdoor setting is nice, but I would opt for that anyway. Bench eating is only suitable for breakfast in my opinion.

13 Kate { 08.09.11 at 4:50 pm }

Oh Lisa you have reminded me – Dont know why P&W didnt do a “Fold up/down table” on the wall where the electricity wire used to live. If they did a U kitchen then it would have fit in easily.
Noone wants to clear their coffee table and get chairs down eat tea, pack up and then make up coffee table again…. AGree about the bench seating too. Also many melb days are too hot or too cold for outside eating. .. I think the couple who buy that house will have to eat pizza on a white couch or live in Richmond cafes.

I have also wondered about the cupboards but think everyone limited by what freedom kitchens offer… so laminate it is for everyone

14 Lisa { 08.09.11 at 4:58 pm }

Exactly Kate. Realistically, you’ll just end up having the dining set up permanently as it’ll become too much of a hassle. I think P&W panicked and didn’t think that decision through.
Aren’t R&T appealing for a family? What kind of family will want to have their family meals on a bench? It doesn’t exactly promote a nice family aspect either, not being able to see one another. Plus what if there are more than 4 people for dinner? Like you pointed out, Kate, Melbourne weather is far too unreliable to use outdoor dining and even with adequate covering and what not, you’re not always going to want to sit outside.

15 Vivienne { 08.09.11 at 8:01 pm }

I love The Block, but it is turning into the Josh & Jenna show. She is such a sulkey little piece. They can’t do anything but argue. Look at the other three couples, they don;t act like that. Hope she is a better hairdresser than she is a renovator, little ‘gutter mouth’.

16 Lisa { 08.09.11 at 8:25 pm }

I feel the need to defend Jenna, because whilst she is shown very negatively, it could largely depend on the editing. I’m sure the others are the same but they pigeon hole characters. Plus what about how much K&A bitch with Polly and Tania.

17 Kate { 08.09.11 at 11:19 pm }

Me too – the producers feel the need to make the contestants into caricatures we love/hate. I am sure Polly isnt as stupid as they portray her and that hopefully the sisters arent as catty as they seem. I think these folk all have flaws and under the stress of competing and no sleep etc their foibles are exaggerated. I care about the rooms and the ideas and willdefend JJ based on their choices. Decent produceers wouldnt show the sisters whining (i hope this isnt them normally eiher) or JJ bickering. As for being a potty mouth they doesnt bother me at all. Perhaps it isnt a show for fred nile and followers.

18 HR { 08.10.11 at 3:55 pm }

@Kate: isn’t “Decent producers” an oxymoron?

19 Kate { 08.10.11 at 4:21 pm }

HR – well spoken.
I just hope they learn that viewers like to see a glimpse of personality but are not watching for the soap-opera and dont like to see them manipulated (I even think the foreman/Josh thing is stirred up by them). It is good for me – I tape and watch on fast forward to avoid the dross and save lots of time

20 Spots and Stripes { 08.10.11 at 6:44 pm }

I thought Josh and Jenna had the best kitchen and dining areas. The vintage poster and the oversize light above the dining table really gave the space a ‘wow’ factor. They’re on track to win. They are lucky to have the largest house but remember originally the sisters chose their cottage first and Polly and Waz had the opportunity to trade up but chose not to.

21 Kate { 08.11.11 at 12:49 pm }

Yes, others chose city views over larger rooms but then JJ always had to budget for more gyprock/paint with same budget so thnk they did really well.
What order did they chose houses? Were JJ second?

22 annalise { 08.15.11 at 8:40 pm }

Does anyone know where J&J got their vintage art print in their kitchen/dining room from?? I love it!