The Renovators – Ali Did Walk And Now Is Taking On Her Facebook Critics

The big question tonight was whether Ali would actually walk from the show after her fight with Kelly last night. Brendan Moar and the judges told her to sleep on it, however she decided to leave team Michael and the Blacktown fibro shack.

Clearly she felt unsupported, and being a successful business woman in real life she didn’t have any great need for the prize at the end of the show. I suspect she went on the show as an experience and also to raise her profile.

It was a pity she didn’t stick it out as she was good reality viewing – assertive, articulate and attractive. She still has some fire in her belly if some of her Facebook posts are actually her. Ali is not liking the critique she has been getting from some fans on Facebook and she is firing back.

Thanks to DaMeerkat we have a link from  The Renovators fan page she hits out:

Sorry do any of you know me – ? -actually NO you don’t.
Clothes supplied by Shine – not mine except for first episodes where I am in white.
The school ground level of comment is quote something!
The few of us on the show who chose NOT to resort to behind the scenes school ground bullying and bitchy alliance forming are sleeping well at night – and in our own beds.
Keep smiling – just enjoy the show – forget being horrid to fellow human beings.
Ali from the Renovators

She also said:

You’ll see my leaving when I do sees justice done.
I didn’t waste a spot – thousands lesser than me would have walked earlier. It’s not an easy thing to do and leaving is on many peoples minds along the way.
The filming hours are also relentless and far longer than initially put to us by the producers – that in itself I found very invasive. All up though, the producers and judges are great people and were very supportive in my decision.
I left as it was the only way to achieve the above – no matter how destructive you are, you’ll never face elimination if you’re on a team that doesn’t loose challenges.
I’m not ‘hurt’ by the show – it was amazing. I didn’t go on it as a ‘reality show’ – always thought of it as a professional challenge firstly. We live and learn.
My leaving and ultimately making it possible for you know who to move on -keep watching – was the right decision and I’m very happy.
THE SHOW, AND THOSE CONTESTANTS ON IT WHO ARE LEGITIMATELY THERE TO SHOWCASE THEIR SKIOLLS, WILL BE BETTER OFF THE MOMENT KELLY WALKS.
I was not the only girl on the show he caused havoc for – I was just the one that spoke up.
Most importantly – hey, it’s only TV – for those of you who do this online thing it’s obviously rewarding for you. I’ve hopped on just to put a few facts on the table that I feel are fair to air. Enjoy the show – enjoy your chatter – they should make a show out of you guys!
AND FINALLY – GO NATHAN, AUGUST, LUKE, JASON J, NATALIA – AND TO WIN IT HAS TO BE KEENAN – SUPREMELY ABLE, AN EYE FOR DESIGN AND THE MOST GENUINE PERSON THERE – KEEN TO WIN!!

Interesting the people she named that she liked. I note Peter and Lisa are not on that list. Also found it interesting that she thought the long hours of filming was invasive. It is a reality TV show, which is the 21st century equivalent of working in the salt mines.

Her nemesis Kelly has also been on Facebook complaining about editing of the show, however his post was removed.

TV Tonight reports:

Kelly, 41, from TEN’s new series responded to a Facebook page which was discussing contestants on the show, and in particular his reaction to renovating during dusty conditions.

He wrote: “As an asthmatic I choose not to broom concrete & asbestos dust into my lungs when I renovate. I use a vacuum. In this environment there is no control over dust & an expectation that you will work in it & then remove your mask to talk on camera.

“There are 15 people in the house, 10 cameramen & producers & only 1 door in & out. Last year I nearly died from whooping cough which would have left my 2 children without a father. When I saw my brother & sister renovators sucking in concrete dust, I freaked out.”

Kelly also hit out at the editing by producers and was unhappy about online comment from viewers.

“I hope one day you all get to renovate a whole house in 1 day followed by cameras after a month of sleep deprivation. To top it off, after 2 weeks of slaving yourself, you get 1 minute of airtime depicted as a wanker & then abused by people who can’t possibly understand the pressure involved working with 25 people you have never met.

“I have never renovated a house in a day & would never try it again.”

It appears both were rather naive about what happens on a reality show.

OK now onto tonight’s episode, this was all about the judges going out to see what had been done at the houses the team who had done the least would be up for elimination.

A few quick comments:

• Michael from fibro shack is a great tradesman, but is starting to look out of his depth on both people and project management skills;
  • I cracked up when the judges arrived at the Glebe inner city terrace, most of the team was outside and it looked like they were having a smoko;
  • Barry Dubois told off the half renovated house team for not dealing with their damp problem, however good luck to them to find a decent damp course person in the inner west;
  • The judges also mentioned that there were communication issues in the Weatherboard house team, does anyone know what they are?
  • All the houses look like they have a huge amount of potential, the Marrickville shop looks the hardest, as there is not much space to do much with. That team is currently $25,000 over budget.

Considering Michael’s team had done no project planning they are up for elimination. They are really going to struggle once they are down to two people.

1 Laura { 08.08.11 at 11:56 pm }

Ali said “You’ll see my leaving when I do sees justice done.”

So… does this mean that Kelly leaves next? Let’s hope so!

I love Michael and Jarrad seems like a nice guy. They will be able to do a good job on their own. I was hoping that Kelly would leave and Michael would invite Ali back but judging from the Facebook comments I guess that didn’t happen!

2 sue { 08.09.11 at 7:07 am }

I am really curious as to how Kelly made the cut in the 1st place, as although I guess he makes “interesting” tv viewing, his reno skills seem somewhat inadequate (stars on windows, dust tanty, not a team player) to get him in ahead of what I imagine were many other hopefuls…..

I really hope he goes next…..

3 smauge { 08.09.11 at 7:31 am }

The most disturbing news out of this whole post is that Kelly has two children.

4 EH { 08.09.11 at 7:42 am }

Kelly is a father with 2 kids? He acts like a big kiddo himself.

What Masterchef 3 lack was these made-for-tv characters. the MC contestants are too aware of editing and the damage will do to their future in food industry. All acting good in front of tv. Good for them but boring for the viewing.

5 Culinary Boner { 08.09.11 at 9:29 am }

Decided to watch an episode now MCA’s off.
Was ok as it featured the properties but will see if I can truly bear watching with the elimination challenge tonight.
Team Fibro needs to be renamed Team Waste-oid.
They’ve got the One Tel Dude (I wondered were he’d got to), RastaMan Dreadhead and the drummer from Airborne.
Planet Waste-oid must’ve touched down recently.
They’s on fire, ma-a-an.

6 AngelSN86 { 08.09.11 at 9:45 am }

It was very disappointing to see Ali leave, she was a great contestant and did seem to have a lot of design skills. Purely on what we got shown, it would seem like a rather drastic decision, especially after all the hard work she put in to get to that point. So it is pretty clear that there was a lot more going on that what we got shown. Stuff back at the house or at previous challenges or something, as she indicated in her speech when she quit.

That team will definitely be regretting letting her go now that they will be down to 2 people by tonight. They are also really going to struggle when it comes time to actually decorate the house, because thats where Ali would’ve thrived. What happens if the team is completely eliminated? Does that house just get taken out of the show completely?

I interpreted the ‘communication issues’ with the weatherboard team as being the apparent leadership battle between Suzanne and Jason. The little exchange about the picture rails and a few other things she said or did made it apparent that she wanted to be the leader.

7 smauge { 08.09.11 at 9:52 am }

You’ve got it wrong Boner – Michael’s a dude. Don’t know enough about the bloke who’s not Kelly or Michael to comment. Kelly is an oxygen thief.

8 seepi { 08.09.11 at 9:56 am }

I thought it was a bit out of line for the other girl on the Suzanne / Jason team to mention problems to the judges.

I think maybe Michael and Kelly see ieach other as kindred spirits in a Byron Bay Nimbin kind of way.

I fell sorry for Kelly’s kids, and he should have had a whooping couhg vaccination.

9 brandy { 08.09.11 at 10:03 am }

Should have known – as many adults still don’t know – that the whooping cough vaccination done in childhood wears off??

I am asthmatic and only learned this recently. the medical profession only learned this in recent years.

10 Buzz { 08.09.11 at 10:40 am }

Attractive? She might have been before her plastic surgeon pumped her lower face full of back-fat. I’d rather see jowls and wrinkles than a badly-done face reno. Such a waste of perfectly good looks.
Really not getting into this show a much as I thought.
Is Peter the guy with the ‘crazy’ eyes?

11 Pollywaffle { 08.09.11 at 10:48 am }

Ali’s war paint was pretty distracting though but it beat focusing on the grout pout

12 Chunks { 08.09.11 at 11:42 am }

I wonder what happens once a whole team is eliminated. Have the producers really through this through?

13 brain dead dave { 08.09.11 at 12:17 pm }

It’s a big worry how Kelly worked himself into a frenzy describing the Western suburbs of Sydney and Hills Hoist nexus. The smackdown “yeh …saw it on TV” from Jarrad sorted him out.

Kelly forgot the best bit-that the Hills Hoist was invented in Adelaide.

Now I’m reading that cosmic Kelly has reproduced,FFS.

14 Georgie { 08.09.11 at 12:31 pm }

The post of the day award goes to smauge – I like your slant.

15 Moo { 08.09.11 at 12:53 pm }

Buzz: Yeah, Peter is the gay one.

16 smauge { 08.09.11 at 2:55 pm }

Thanks Georgie.
Buzz – As Moo said Peter’s the gay bloke in the orange team. As for crazy eyes, geez that’s a lot harder to narrow down to one contestant. I would have said Jason J probably best fits that description.

17 Culinary Boner { 08.09.11 at 3:17 pm }

BDD, I thought Space Lord Mofo’s Hills Hoist woody was entirely justified.

Hell, one of these buggers is a prize exhibit in the National Museum of Australia. And they even got a write up in the 2001 State of the Environment report. All credit to Adelaidean innovation, of course.

What I would’ve liked though is for Team Waste-oid to show proper respect during the ‘execution’ of their Hills Hoist. Each member of the team should have taken a turn to swing off the hoist as the others spun it around. And the producers should’ve ensured that Baz, Mr Miyagi Jnr and M’arm arrived just while this was happening. That would’ve reinforced this team’s failure at the ‘homework’ challenge.
“Where’s ya critical path?”
“Huh? Da ya mean the road to nirvana, or to the Rainbow Cafe in Nimbin?”

18 smauge { 08.09.11 at 3:19 pm }

In all fairness, I had to google critical path.

19 Culinary Boner { 08.09.11 at 3:32 pm }

But the problem (and irony) for this team was that the key dependency (or blockage) on their critical path was the lack of a critical path. I bet they didn’t start an inventory either. They’s DOOMED. Which comes back to the question others have asked here – what happens when a property is left without a team, as looks very likely in this case?

20 seepi { 08.09.11 at 3:50 pm }

Or even when a property (or several) are left with only one or two people – suddenly the work becomes impossible to do it all themselves.

21 brain dead dave { 08.09.11 at 4:07 pm }

They’ll need Scotty Cam and a uteload of hungover apprentices to turn up at sparrow’s fart and help out.

Hey Boner , I don’t wants to brag but I think Adelaide also invented the mouse/rat trap as we know it. We’ve also let loads of rounded up stray cats go near the WA/ SA border to control rabbit plagues ,too. How smart is that?

I’ve been to the Rainbow Cafe in Nimbin in ’83. A must see.

22 sue { 08.09.11 at 4:29 pm }

I guess they could have challenges for people from other teams to take over the house if all the contestants are eliminated from 1 house. also eventually, unless they do something to rejig the numbers, each house will only have 1 person left in it, and then gradually no-one?? who knows as they haven’t stated the rules- which is a tad annoying :):)

more annoying still is the fact that such a loose cannon/fruit loop like Kelly even got onto the show. yeah. yeah I know- he makes 4 great tv, but seriously…. who can work with him???? and his ideas?????

23 Watcher { 08.09.11 at 4:42 pm }

I suspect that most contestants thought that there would be 6 potential winners when they signed up. Now they know that there is only one I think that there will be a few more who “walk”.Why waste a couple of months renovating when you aren’t going to get anything at the end? As far as losing all the renovators for one house…I think that once they are down to one then they will do a challenge and the loser has to join the shrunken team as a penalty! (rather than get eliminated entirely)

24 Culinary Boner { 08.09.11 at 4:44 pm }

BDD, thanks for the update on Adelaide’s thunking prowess. Maybe whoever’s going to be Premier in a few weeks time can change the state numberplates to say “South Australia – Home of the Hills Hoist” or even “South Australia – Pass the Verjuice Please”?

I was being kind to Kells with the Rainbow Cafe reference. I had of course backed off on the Big Bong Burger Bar – http://www.bigbongburgerbar.com. (Wonder if MCA could feature the hempseed burger in a challenge next year? )Noting though that this was a pisstake site and Kells wouldn’t touch the stuff of course I didn’t go down that track. Best part of the site is the comment that franchises in the Big Bong Burger Chain would be “hardwired to the internet” allowing you to “mingle globally”.

25 Culinary Boner { 08.09.11 at 5:01 pm }

Oh, and why is the Marrickville shop DA delayed? Did the team foolishly list Israeli appliances for the kitchen and jacuzzi?

26 Buzz { 08.09.11 at 5:36 pm }

thanks moo & smauge, will try and narrow down crazy eyes after watching tonite. Hope he’s overtly gay tho, my gaydar hasn’t been too good lately!
Kelly reminds me of a guy I knew who used to drop his pants in a crowded room. No reason.

27 Chunks { 08.09.11 at 6:04 pm }

haha@Israeli appliances. Nice little dig at Marrickville Council there CB.

28 brain dead dave { 08.09.11 at 6:04 pm }

I worked with a guy who used to love dropping his guts in a crowded elevator(and claim credit). Represented SA at Aussie Rules.

29 Buzz { 08.09.11 at 6:15 pm }

BDD – I am utterly unsurprised. Some sporting fellows have an amusing sense of fun. And clearly no sense of smell.
Krazy Kelly seems like he would cut the cheese at the flutter of a dusty dropcloth.
BTW thanks for the Nimbin references – I’d actually forgotten I’d been, it’s all coming back to me now. Kinda. In a hazy sort of way.

30 Dutch Courage { 08.09.11 at 7:43 pm }

Renovators is a lot of fun and pretty informative too. I still can’t understand why The Block is such a success. Pretty boring candidates, irrelevant challenges, too much shopping, fake budgets and spending….and I haven’t even mentioned the involvement of Shelley Craft….I don’t get it….

31 Block Fan { 08.09.11 at 7:47 pm }

I have to agree with Buzz – Ali’s crazy botoxed/filled/something strange going on face was a major distraction! I didn’t really hear anything she said as I was too busy trying to sort the face issues out. I think she seemed nice but shame she has overdone the intervention.

32 Georgie { 08.09.11 at 8:06 pm }

This blog is far more entertaing than the show – I’m really enjoying everyone’s feedback. Yes Kelly is a tosser but if he’s turfed tonight I’ll have no-one to bag – there’s no other standout DH on the show.

33 seepi { 08.09.11 at 8:57 pm }

The Block is almost unwatchable, due to all the product placement – hello Josh and Jenna in maccas – as well as the pointless faffing around with pointless contests – running through a maze to find watering cans…okay…

It is hard to maintain a sense of urgency about the timeline for the renos, when they have all day to shop, eat maccas and play little games like designing dog kennels and running through a maze.

Renovators is far far far better. Beats me why it can’t get an audience.

34 Dutch Courage { 08.09.11 at 9:02 pm }

Seepi, spot on, exactly my point…
Renovators was fun again tonight, a relevant challenge, nothing over the top. I didn’t even notice any irritating product placements. Kelly probably was my least favourite contestant so good to see him go and not one of the other 2 guys.

35 Mama'sMilk { 08.09.11 at 9:12 pm }

Now we are getting a better idea about the game, I can’t wait for the special guest post on “how to win” tactics … (hint! hint!!)

seriously, do you pick losers for your house team so they get cut first or pick people who are good in the hope of avoiding eliminations? is it better to hold the keys early or not?

I want to hear more about these alliances!

36 Buzz { 08.09.11 at 10:28 pm }

Kelly was booted? Classic!
I heard this in the first 5 minutes:
“Last time through the back door for one of us” and switched over … nothing on the rest of the show could top that comment.
Had to switch over on a high.

37 trishfish { 08.09.11 at 11:08 pm }

WOW! kelly and ali can start their own company now that they are both out!

38 The Renovators – Another Elimination And The Contestant WAs Sad To See Him Go | reality ravings { 08.09.11 at 11:12 pm }

[…] but he was great TV viewing. I wonder if this was what Ali meant when justice is done, see previous blog post on that spray […]

39 HR { 08.09.11 at 11:21 pm }

Renovators is a great show & much much better than the Block in terms of its content…but I suspect the reason for the popularity difference is to do with the channels rather than the shows themselves…
The time slot for Renovators has varied so many times & since day one, its not funny…one day its on 7:30 pm & then next day at 9 pm! even accounting for MasterChef being on before & over now, they should just have one timeslot change …
Channel 10 really need to get their scheduling act together…if someone who is so keen on the program could miss it, I can easily see people who arent that interested to begin with not getting ‘hooked’…
On the other hand ‘The Block’ has drilled the 7 pm time into everyone’s heads with their ‘7 0 block’ gimmick…never mind that it actually airs at 7:30 or later in many places..!!

40 oldie { 09.09.11 at 11:19 pm }

love renovators. leaves the block for dead, but organisers need to get organised and sort out paperwork such as building approvals prior to the start. sky blue team have not had any eliminations till last night due to them not being able to start work. pretty unfair to all the other teams.
also, kathy’s dining room come retro chair (unmatching) come playground with swing? what were the judges thinking. easily the worst room of last night!