The Renovators – Favouritism In The Elimination Challenge?

Sixties Suburban were up for elimination tonight, and one of the things that struck me was how arbitrary the judging was in the second part of the challenge. This challenge was between Chris and Tina and they had to redesign the unrenovated house they had previously valued.

It was judged on the design but also the budget. Chris who I thought did the better redesign was interogated over the cost of his $35,000 plus $25,000 for labour. Barry DuBois thought it was more $60,000.

However Tina had estimated her renovation for $25,000 which was bollocks, but no one queried it. The french doors she wanted to do would not be cheap, and she had condensed the bathroom/laundry.

Anyway Tina looks and talks to camera better then Chris so I think that is why he got the flick. But considering he was a good all-rounder the sixties suburban team is looking like they are in trouble.

1 Sonia { 08.11.11 at 10:07 pm }

I really hate the elimination challenges. Now the teams with only 2 members will just become weaker.You cant win a challenge with only 2 so what happens when they’ve all been picked off

2 Dutch Courage { 08.11.11 at 10:08 pm }

RR, fair comment, I felt the same. I would prefer to see elimination challenges that don’t need to be judged, like the real estate challenge, to avoid any perceived favouritism.

3 seepi { 08.11.11 at 10:14 pm }

I dont’ like these polystyrene house challenges at all – boring for the viewer – I can’t really visualise the house from white polystyrene.

The judges have been very inconsistent with costing the renovations. Fibro shack came second in round one, with their design, despite imagining they can stretch 60 thou to double the size of the house. Yet Joanne got sent home for overestimating what she could do with her budget in the last silly polystyrene challenge.

4 Reality Raver { 08.11.11 at 10:15 pm }

Sonia – that is the unknown. What does happen when a whole teams is eliminated?

Dutch Courage – or at least judge them fairly

5 Gabriel { 08.11.11 at 10:49 pm }

I tweeted them about the rules a few days ago and got no response. But at the moment, it’s horrible to watch because the first teams that lost people now basically have no chance of winning anything because they’re doing everything with less manpower in the same amount of time. It doesn’t even resemble a fair competition. Then there is the question of what happens when they are down to one – we just have to sit and watch while one person tries to do the same work that four or five others are doing? It’s insane. And what happens when that person goes: is that house then sold as is? The one thing a competition show (which this is) should have is clear rules. I don’t know if they spelt them out in the beginning and I missed it, but it shouldn’t wouldn’t hurt to go over them again. Couldn’t find them on the web site either. At the moment I don’t want to watch because the comp is so uneven.

6 Marepoppin { 08.11.11 at 11:57 pm }

In the garden judging that led to this elimination, I thought the judges made very poor choices. Surely the coastal garden by the orange team deserved to win, rather than previous winners the grey team, and the light blues japanese garden should have lost instead of previous losers the khaki team. We have basically seen exactly the same result as last week and now I’m bored! Change it up, spread it out, let’s have a bit of fairness!

7 Heléna { 08.12.11 at 12:24 am }

I thought Chris should have won that challenge too – as even if he spent $60k he would have added so much value to the home with then open space – given the area – although the carport was probably unnecessary

I despair thinking about the people who now only have two in a team – what happens when there is only one left?? – maybe they will change the challenges so the smaller teams have a chance of winning too

masterclass looks good tomorrow

8 Doops { 08.12.11 at 3:08 am }

How ironic that Masterchef we’re constantly reminded how the judging and rules will work out every 30 seconds by either a judge and a contestant, yet it’s very unclear what direction this show is going once the weaker teams are picked off.

9 Richard { 08.12.11 at 8:47 am }

With the real estate challenge I think the valuation that the judges reveal should also be written down at the same time as the contestants. Otherwise how do we know that the judges don’t pick a value to keep in the one they want?

10 Izobel2 { 08.12.11 at 8:54 am }

Good point Richard. I also hope they don’t have this elimination every week.
And like you Seepi I struggle to envisage what the white cardboard cutout will look like.

11 Block Fan { 08.12.11 at 10:19 am }

Instead of the white cardboard cutout why couldn’t they do the design on a computer and then it would provide much better graphics for us viewers? And they should have to to roughly itemise the supposed costs as contestants seem to be pulling random figures out of the air that make no sense – but it gives judges lots of leeway to keep in favorites.

12 Jasmin { 08.12.11 at 10:31 am }

I agree, Block Fan, they could do a 3D render of the polystyrene mock up, and then do a quick walk-through like they do with the renovation concepts for the houses. At the moment it looks more like they are judged on how neatly they can cut foam with a Stanley knife.

13 Culinary Boner { 08.12.11 at 10:41 am }

Last night’s elimination looked clearly rigged, aside from being a fairly pointless ‘challenge’.
Have the producers got something against Mr Bean or Richard Benjamin look-a-likes?
Instead we’re now stuck with nano-brow girl.

14 brain dead dave { 08.12.11 at 2:15 pm }

It was only half an hour ,so relatively painless. Tina’s pretty easy on the eye,anyway. The timeslot is jumping all over the shop, so how do the producers expect viewers to get addicted with that approach?

People having trouble sleeping should focus on Barry Dubois and they’ll be away in no time. Fancy getting stuck with ze Beige Barry around a keg or at a barby. Contestants will down tools to watch their own paint dry when BB gets on a roll. Or get on a critical path away from him tout de suite.

Well, I’ll give this How To episode a whirl tonight with the mute on while Collingwood /St Kilda go at it on the radio. That’s my vision.