The Renovators – Gossip and Tidbits

August the interior designer in the Marrickville shop renovation team is very charming, however sources tell me in his real life there are some questions about his ethics. Apparently he manages to get a lot of work by quoting low. However what he may not be telling his clients is that he gets kick backs from tradesmen and suppliers he uses or recommends. But then maybe this is standard practice in his industry.

Chris Georgiou who was the last person punted from The Renovators says judge Barry Dubois was told what to say by the producers. He said Barry was told to be “negative” during challenges. “The [judges] saw what I did and all three were blown away,” Chris told TV Week. “[But] then you hear production in the earpiece telling Baz what to say!” (Source: TV Week)

Go to the TV Week website to see the full interview, and he reveals that both he thought Tina would be the one to go home.

It looks like Shine Australia will allow more contact with the outside world for the Masterchef Australia contestants next year, if The Renovators is anything to go by. Natalia Broadhead the tall welder on The Renovators has told TV WEEK she is able to phone home frequently. In fact the mother of one calls home every night. Also there are regular visits but they have to be at the couples own cost.

Barry “Baz” DuBois is also interviewed by TV Week about why he agreed to do the show.

Below is the interview:

What made you want to sign on to this kind of project?
I didn’t (laughs). The producers approached me and I said I wasn’t interested. A friend of mine had applied for the job as one of the judges and didn’t get the job, and he recommended me. They asked me again and I spoke to a few people and told them what I thought of renovation show, because I thought they’d been stuffed over the years.

What do you mean by “stuffed up”?

I feel that some shows portray builders as yobbos a bit too much. For me, as a builder, I used to turn over millions of dollars a year. You’re a white-collar worker who interacts continually with blue-collar workers – we aren’t just yobbos who drink twist-tops on Friday afternoon!

Do you enjoy watching other renovations shows?

I didn’t really watch TV [before], but I do now because I’m on it! I’m glued to the stuff.

Is it hard eliminating people?

I think that when you have a relationship with anyone in an intense situation you form a strong bond with them. To see them go, it’s quite heartbreaking for me – and I struggle a lot.

What do you do when you aren’t filming?

I live in Europe six months of the year – I have a yacht in the Mediterranean. But I’ll spend [this] summer in Australia.

The Renovators is really struggling in the ratings, which is a pity as most episodes are entertaining.

1 Heléna { 08.13.11 at 9:14 pm }

what an enviable life Barry lives 😮 sounds like he has worked hard for it

2 sue { 08.13.11 at 9:19 pm }

I actually prefer Renovators to the Block, but both are suffering from too many challenges and not enuf reno. The Block shows barely any tho, whereas at least the Renovator challenges are a bit more relevant. I think it is suffering because:

– It is on Ch 10, and started after viewers were hooked into the Block
– The rules haven’t been explained, and people are confused. fairness seems undoable with teams of 2 competing against teams of 4 etc
– the sandwich effort twixt the finale episodes of M’chef did it a lot of harm

But, I like the show, I just wish it was a bit more open and fair for teams and challenges etc. and yes, the never ending question- when do we get to see some reno on the houses???? :)

3 librarygirl { 08.13.11 at 9:37 pm }

I know Channel 10 think starting this even before Masterchef ended was a good idea, but speaking for myself I need a break from relentless night-after-night tv involvement and haven’t watched any Renovators at all. I just feel 2 or 3 weeks break and maybe running – I don’t know – movies? or something completely different/ would be such a contrast to what other channels are doing. The trend of biggest loser-masterchef- old idol/ new renovators – junior masterchef is a complete and utter turn off for this viewer, because they are on so many nights and many of us don’t want to be stuck in front of the tv ALL YEAR.

4 Dmc { 08.14.11 at 7:16 am }

Totally agree.

5 seepi { 08.14.11 at 8:11 am }

I love it. I did like Barry til the friday episode – he totally talked over teh expert furniture renovator they got on – why get and expert if you are going to talk for them. The recycled timber table was fantastic though.

I heard elsewhere the Tina is usually in an overseeing / designing role and is finding the manual labour a bit much.

I think it’s a bit mean dissing August on the strength of gossip – this is his livelihood. Based on the show only I thought he was a bit of a pushover – twice he has been on teams and just let the other member decide what to do (remember the stripes episode!),

6 smauge { 08.14.11 at 1:01 pm }

I’m shattered about the ratings. This one of my favourite shows right now and now it seems inevitble to be a one series show.

7 brain dead dave { 08.14.11 at 1:53 pm }

Beige Baz wants us to know that he’s a yobbo with a yacht in the Mediterranean. Frascati in lieu of the twist tops.

He definitely was flexing his balls during the recycled table how to on Friday night,as seepi has pointed out . Wanted to throw a hammer at him.

8 brain dead dave { 08.14.11 at 2:14 pm }

Also Beige Baz reckons he never really watched TV before, so how would he know that renovation shows have been “stuffed up”?

9 Dutch Courage { 08.14.11 at 3:17 pm }

I like Robyn Holt as a judge. Her comment “Well hung” was pretty funny after the boys put a few paintings on the wall in Friday’s episode. She might be great at styling an interior but I think she needs some advice on her dress sense. Most of the time she dresses like an 80 year old and her glasses never seem to sit right on her nose….still like her though.

10 Izobel2 { 08.14.11 at 5:07 pm }

I agree with you Dutch Courage, Robyn’s clothing choices and goggles are always peculiar. I’m hoping the ratings pick up so we see Season 2 also. Seeing as we don’t actually know what’s going to happen with Season 1. … If Michael loses one more team member, I’m guessing he just goes home as he can’t do it all on his own??

11 Moo { 08.14.11 at 6:35 pm }

I must agree that most of us are all “reality TV’d” out by this time every year. That extremely poor decision to slot The Renovators in between the MasterChef finale was always going to have an adverse effect on ratings. Any network who treats their viewers with such contempt deserves to suffer.

At this rate, Channel 10 might eventually overtake Channel 9 as the worst television network in Australia.

12 smauge { 08.15.11 at 6:58 am }

I love Robyn’s wardrobe! She is stylish and on trend without resorting to dressing “too young”.
Also – am I correctly remembering that the Biggest Loser finale gets split in two every year?