The Renovators – Challenge Night – Did The Best Room Win?

Tonight was challenge night on The Renovators, first the teams had to hang pictures of their families, but they had to make it technically perfect. Then they had to convert a white room with a colour they randomly picked.

A few quick thoughts about the episode:

• Did anyone else notice the Weatherboard team who did the green kids room, that when they made it top two none of the team mates hugged Jason H? Last week it was hinted there was some tension in the team, and this could be it.
  • The sixties suburban team won for the design, however the paint job of their walls was pretty awful. I thought they may have been given the win which was $10,000 because they would have to spend far more on contractors now Chris has been eliminated;
  • The red room was meant to be a brothel/ mistress room, but  it had far too many red bows in it. Basically Robyn Holt said that if she brought a bloke in their the chances of him performing were slim. I love the way Christie always think her ideas rock, but they never quite work out.
  • The St Peters partly renovated house team were told the duck mirrors, they thought were so great were an overkill by Baz. The positives of their purple room was it had a great feeling of space, however the judges did like the feeling of space, but then they were criticised for leaving one part of it empty.
  • The highlight from that team for the episode was Lisa going nuts about the colour and huffing “I knew I should have mixed the paint in the first place.”
  • The Blacktown fibro guys are a crack up they did a master bedroom, when asked whether they would romance in this room Michael said ” Jarrod is not fussy”.
  • The inner city terrace had orange and it was nicely styled but the orange was eye jarring. However Peter Ho could imagine lying down and have it washing over him.

Did the right team win?

1 Dutch Courage { 08.14.11 at 11:43 pm }

Tina did say that painting was not her thing and she proved it. Designing and styling definitely is her forte. The room looked classy and warm, great colour to use. The patterns on the wall definitely created a wow factor. Great job by the green team too but I think Tina and Nathan deserved to win.

2 sue { 08.14.11 at 11:59 pm }

I soooooooooooooooooooo wanted the blue team to win… :(

3 Dutch Courage { 08.15.11 at 12:12 am }

Despite the lack of a design background the two ‘blue’ boys did a great job. If they can get the planning of their reno right they might still go a long way.

4 samantha { 08.15.11 at 12:40 am }

my personal fav was the blue room go jarrad and michael i love the fact they looked like they were struggling making the bed to

5 sue { 08.15.11 at 6:48 am }

I can’t see how the yellow team win was justified when one of the criteria was the paintwork had to be good, and the judges pointed out how shoddy theirs was!!! another example of Ch10 ruining what could be a good show with suspect judging and decisions.

are the producers really telling them who to pick, as has been suggested?? becoz altho yellow team’s design was quite good, their paintwork was bad….so how could they possibly be in the final 2, let alone win???

6 smauge { 08.15.11 at 7:17 am }

I would totally have loved my room to look like Dark Blue’s team. And I’m loving the Michael and Jarrod show. THose two look like they really work well together. Especially after ridding themselves of the dead wood.

7 seepi { 08.15.11 at 8:52 am }

I thought that cross on the wall was overkill for the yellow team. I thought the yellow was a bit too bright as well. I would have just had the 3 white frames and then hung a mirror in the central one.

Orange team panicked and overdid the orange – I could tell their colour was way too strong before they did it. They should have stuck to the wallpaper – the bed was orange enough.

And the red team….I think their room was better as a drawing, and not in real life…those bows would be feral and dusty if you did put them in a real room. Why didn’t August paint some killer red panel paintings like he did for Bob’s chair challenge room.

I dont’ understand how they decide who is taking the leadfor each team on these room designs.

8 Calliegirl { 08.15.11 at 9:05 am }

I think the right team won. Also, I noticed that the reason that Jason H is not hugged is his height. They would be hugging his lower region if they did or would have to wait for him to bend down. I don’t think there is anything else going on – just a height difference.

9 Culinary Boner { 08.15.11 at 10:15 am }

Calliegirl’s right, hug the man mountain and ya get a eye-full of crotch ….as my young daughter would say…ewwwwww.

10 Chunks { 08.15.11 at 11:07 am }

I thought the yellow team deserved their win. The room looked to have a great feel. Couldn’t feel any love for that green room at all. Shame the blue boys didn’t just tone that wall colour down a bit. It was a bit too bright for what they intended. I notice we saw a different side of Lisa to her quirky faghag persona last night. Wouldn’t like to really piss her off…

11 Paul { 08.15.11 at 2:28 pm }

This show is getting slaughtered in the ratings.

In huge trouble.

12 Chunks { 08.15.11 at 2:31 pm }

Not surprising. The masterclass on Friday was about how to take nails out. I mean, seriously…

13 Paul { 08.15.11 at 2:36 pm }

That would be the MC equivalent of how to cook toast, surely !!!!

14 Reality Raver { 08.15.11 at 3:00 pm }

Chunks – was there any new revelationary technique for removing a nail?

Paul – Unfortunately it is not going so well in the ratings.

Calliegirl – you could be right – it could be Jason’s size. I am still wondering what the communication issues are in the group.

Dutch courage – I think the fibro shack is a goer to win the competition.

Seepi – good point on the dust factor of the bows.

Smauge, Samantha and Sue – Michael is a favourite contestant of mine. He is a good all rounder.

CB – I don’t think any of the contestants are THAT short
Culinary Boner

15 brain dead dave { 08.15.11 at 4:13 pm }

Channel 10 haven’t given up yet as they’re encoring The Renovators in the afternoons again this week.

16 Moo { 08.15.11 at 4:33 pm }

Given that the judges said at the start of the challenge that they’re going to be paying “serious attention” to the paint job in each room, then no, I don’t think the 60s suburban team should have won. The paint job looked diabolic, even at a distance.

I’m not sure why the red room wasn’t in the top 2. The only “criticism” (if you can call it that) that Robyn Holt gave of that room was that she was unsure if a guy would feel comfortable in it. Like, seriously?

17 seepi { 08.15.11 at 9:35 pm }

I didn’t like the red room much. I think the judges were trying not to tear it to shreds actually.

The masterclass was quite good I though – and I hate the masterchef ones. The taking out of nails took a minute or so – same as chopping an onion or something on masterchef, then going on to make the whole risotto.

The recycled timber went on to make a gorgeous table – it was rally fabulous. Main issue was Barry canot shut up. Now I’ve noticed this I keep seeing it. On today’s show at the property visits he talked constantly – Peter Ho never got to say a word.

18 smauge { 08.16.11 at 6:56 am }

BDD – Thankfully they are! I forgot to set the TiVo and I’m addicted to this show. I can catch up today. I love seeing the properties progress so I missed a crucial episode.