The Renovators – Last Night’s Episode Was Rigged

No wonder they were being coy about the big prize for tonight’s episode, because if they had told them last night the three inner city teams would not have given a stuff about it.

The prize was up to $40,000 on a pool package. Which meant the only three teams it was really any use to was the sixties suburban, the fibro shack and the weatherboard at Parramatta. Who were the three teams that did the “top 3” work on their houses for the week? The only three who can fit a pool in their backyards – sixties suburban, the fibro shack, and the weatherboard at Parramatta.

Was the fix on?

When fuckery like this happens it always makes me feel a little had. I watched an hour of the show last night to see who would be top three, but  it appears the outcome was already known.

Tonight was the panic room challenge where one of the team members has to clean up and redesign a room that looks like it has exploded. Michael, Nathan and Keenan went head to head.  I did not realise Keenan had two teenage kids. He is 33, and he has a 15 year old and a 12 year old. Also he said he was a single dad. Being on The Renovators must feel like a holiday for him.

Michael did a light grey room with a nice wooden desk. The judges liked the space. Keenan’s colour was too dark, with splotches of bright orange. His room was pretty bad. Nathan did an ok room as well, but Michael deserved the win. It will put some much needed value on their house.

But not happy The Renovators not happy – put the viewers and contestants first not the sponsors.

Someone else that didn’t look happy was August when it was revealed the blue team had finally had received planning permission for the inner city terrace.

August is thrilled the terrace got the planning permit! @realityraver #therenovators

Thanks for the screen shot @remued

1 Anthony { 08.16.11 at 10:39 pm }

I totally agree!! I said to my sister: “if the Inner Terrace won, what would they do with a pool?” – also these check ups are stupid since they’d have to give Luke’s team special treatment since they probably haven’t done anything due to having to get their renovation plans approved.

2 sue { 08.16.11 at 10:42 pm }

Keenan did the dark room with the splashes of orange, not Nathan :) Michael deserved the win, but yeah a tad suss that the 3 houses that could fit a pool got the chance to win 1- mind you, that half done hse could maybe fit one, and the shop could 2-only really the terrace couldn’t….

I think this scenario is no more suss than Tina winning on elim nite :) or Tina & Nathan being in top 3 last nite or Tina, or Tina , or Tina…. you get my drift :)

certainly I think some of the wins on the Block have been just as suss… :)

3 Reality Raver { 08.16.11 at 10:57 pm }

Whoops sue – sorry about the stuff up with the names.

4 Heléna { 08.16.11 at 11:04 pm }

they could have put in lap pools or an elaborate water feature ;p

to be fair the three teams who made it through deserved to be there, they appeared well ahead of the inner city homes, maybe they had the pool to give and when the three suburban homes made it through they chose that as the prize

5 Moo { 08.17.11 at 12:09 am }

In the August 2nd episode, when the contestants were submitting their plans to the judges, the only three teams to include a pool into the design of their backyards (“if the budget allows it,” of course) were the fibro cottage, the weatherboard, and the sixties suburban teams. Suss much?

So yeah, I think this was set up.

6 AnonyMousse { 08.17.11 at 11:34 am }

There’s no reason why they might not have a pool of prizes to select from depending on who came first (a pool’s not the only thing that would have more value to some places than to others), and when they saw that the top 3 were the outer city ones, they seized the chance to give out the pool prize.

7 Reality Raver { 08.17.11 at 11:44 am }

AnonyMousse and Helena – I think you make a good point. However I think they needed to give out the pool early so people so the landscaping or renovation/extension was going to work with it.

I note partially renovated house in St Peters already has their deck going in.

Moo – well spotted.

8 Craig { 08.17.11 at 11:54 am }

sorry if you have discussed this before, but when they had the picture hanging challenge on sunday night, why did they not ask Peter for his comments on who his photo’s were of? Thought that was strange.

9 smauge { 08.17.11 at 1:01 pm }

I like to think they picked the prize after the three teams went forward. But I like to live in that fuzzy wuzzy land of make believe.
Rigged or not, I’m so glad Michael won. Especially after the reaction he gave! Did anybody else think it stole a bit of Michael’s thunder to announce the light blue team’s DA approval?

10 Laura { 08.17.11 at 11:00 pm }

I don’t care because Michael won and he’s my favourite.

Seemed silly not to have Tina compete instead of Nathan! She would have blown Michael & Keenan out of the water with her impeccable design skills. And they don’t seem to mind too much that she can’t paint, they still won last time.