Guest Post: Dinner Date – Did Janine Pick The Right Guy?

Again Brain Dead Dave has done a hilarious recap of Dinner Date – however his recap has got me curious to know what happened on his dates where he got blind???

The recap below:

Dinner Date begins late again with some Manu-script about the way to man’s heart being through his stomach. Off his face, three sheets to the wind,hypnotised and loaded up on Cointreau – is how readers variously described Manu’s performance last week. We need subtitles for the seemingly poleaxed Pepe le Peu’s narratives Janine is a 28 yr old brunette. Dance Teacher and disco queen by night, radiographer by day. She’s been single for eight months and says her love life has been “crazy” and “out there”.

Seafood is a favourite of Janine’s and she plonks for the menus of Justin,Rhys and Adam from the five possible suitors- inoffensive looking guys in the mid 20’s 30 range.

Justin is an adventurer /outdoors type. He does some smoke blowing about kayaking across the ditch to NZ with a mate,unsupported. Oh whatever,mate,it takes a lot more tenacity and passion to watch a season of Ma$terchef.

Justin’s got a slow roasted lamb dish with tomatoes for a main and raspberry chocolate cheesecake planned. He starts panicking about the graininess of the home made ice cream and we see him sculling a drink as

Janine’s arrival nears. As she arrives Janine admits to being apprehensive about “blind dates”. I’ve never been one one myself…plenty of dates where I got blind, but.

Janine’s is underwhelmed with Justin’s walking around in his socks. He’s pretty naïve to think that won’t matter. Women get fussy about thongs and stuff like that.

Justin tells her he’s “professional” adventurer and reruns the kayaking to NZ yarn,making me wonder exactly what goes across the ditch with them on these “adventures”.

Janine then stalks Justin into the kitchen commencing an interrogation into his love history. Bad move because the prawns are burning and the asparagus is overcooked. Janine’s hanging in the kitchen ,laughing.

Nevertheless Janine says the entree is “yummy” and they get to talking about books they’ve read. She’s impressed that Justin has read the twilight series.

The main is slow roasted lamb with blistered tomatoes on a green pea mash. Janine loves it and reckons Justin can cook,has muscles happening and handsome.

Sweets are chocolate brownies and raspberries. Justin’s faltering and freaking out about the home made ice cream but Janine’s impressed ,telling him that he’s outdone himself. She gets some leftover brownie and a mint plant and kisses him goodnight.

Justin scores her an impressive 8 out of 10 and as we go to an ad break Manu returns to champion Justin’s effort as “magnifique”

Second date Rhys Janine’s next dinner date is Rhys, a 30 yr old online sales guy. He’s been single for two years and with that Justin Bieber haircut he’s packing ,it’s no wonder..He loves the ocean,Japan and seafood and has duly “‘prepared” sushi Atlantic salmon,tempura prawns and a chocolate self saucing pudding, among other things for her dining delight.

Rhys gets off on the Japanese theme even more by tarting up in a kimono before Janine arrives .We hear the tune Turning Japanese,then Rhys opens the door and insists that Janine don a kimono as well.She’s happy to play along and Rhys reckons she’s very good looking. She isn’t too bad at all.

They ‘re enjoying the sushi and Janine starts her interrogation about why Rhys is unbelievably single etc. She doesn’t like the beard he’s sporting either.

Rhys reveals that he’s never done tempura before and it’s taking ages to do. Janine let’s him know about it with “I’m dying for it”,ruining Justin’s concentration even more.

Janine loves the main ,telling Justin he’s “superseded her expectations” before she notices a burning smell coming from the kitchen. It’s a pot of hot ,smoking oil still on the burner. Rhys takes it off and completely at his wit’s end he puts it on the floor,burning a crop circle like design into the carpet.

Manu takes us to an ad break,noting Rhys’ embarrassment.

Janine has to help with actually baking the dessert . The oven hasn’t been preheated and we hear JJCale’s After Midnight to remind us that the date is dragging on badly here. Justin spills chocolate over the kitchen floor and finally at 1.20 am the cake /pudding comes out of the oven.

Janine goes home at 1.30having still enjoyed herself,describing Rhys as funny and witty. He scores her 9/10,praing her for putting up with his stuff. Manu calls Justin’s effort “impressive” and praises him for surviving and turning the situation to his advantage.

Third date. Adam

Adam is 30 and runs a wedding car hire service. He loves his Lebanese family and lives at home in their palace. He’s built like Rocky Balboa.We see him preparing sweets, pouring some Midori over mangoes. I get a phone call here and miss several minutes.

Adam’s invite a heap of family and friends to the dinner date there’s Lebanese finger food on offer., which he’s got his Mum to prepare.

Adam’s nervousness is a major factor in proceedings.

First ,Janine tells him she’s a radiographer -he thinks that’s a DJ.

At main time,Adam can’t turn the oven on properly to cook some seafood he’s managed to put in a frypan. I thought maybe he doesn’t know how to turn it on. He lets his failure with the oven get to him and he becomes even more nervous and can’t hold any conversation at all at the table. The mango comes and goes amid the awkward atmosphere.

Janine still liked the seafood though she notes “it’s a little bit raw with the oven”.She’s a trouper and tells us she enjoyed herself but really needs ‘funny” guys. Poor Adam was giggling at nothing through sheer terror.

Adam scores Janine 9/10. She’s been a good date on the three occasions, in my opinion,apart from the interrogations in the kitchen.

It’s time for Janine to choose and I really thought she’d go for the first guy Justin.

But Janine chooses Rhys, the bearded guy who I thought might have been tipsy and burned a lot of the food.

They get a weekend at Palazzo Versace on the Gold Coast. Nice place. Their dinner is interesting as Rhys has shaved his beard off with high hopes and Janine has got another Maria Venuti top out to distract him with. Rhys says he could get serious about Janine and they’ve plans to catch up..  Manu winds up with details that the two are stiiill talking about another date…but that if you’re planning to visit Rhys…”Ring ze fire Brigade”

Thanks for the comments last week. I love the pieces of music played. the producers have got a sarcastic sence of humour with their song placement.

The show moves at a fast enough pace,I don’t really get time to note what the contestants are wearing(or not wearing).

1 Izobel2 { 08.17.11 at 3:58 pm }

Thanks BDD, once again, have been waiting for your post! You’ll be on RR’s payroll soon! I thought Janine would’ve/should’ve picked the first guy too… The guy Adam that got his mum to cook everything was the worst one! Janine’s clothing was very nice. I had to rewind Manu’s last comment about the fire brigade as I couldn’t understand a thing!

2 Anonymous { 08.17.11 at 4:06 pm }

Lol pretty good summary of the show last night. Even you’re confused calling Rys Justin several times :p

3 Paul { 08.17.11 at 4:15 pm }

At least you understood what Manu was saying.
I did not have a clue.

4 Jasmin { 08.17.11 at 4:21 pm }

BDD – great recap! I watched the show for the first time last night – it is hilarious. I couldn’t stop laughing at Rhys’ cooking fiasco and home renovation… noticed the circle of burnt carpet had been cut out when she came around to collect him for their ‘overnight date’.

5 brain dead dave { 08.17.11 at 4:21 pm }

Oh, I thought I caught all of those Justin/Rhys typos. I even typed him up as “Justine ” a few times.

Thanks,too Izobel2. Three years of French at high school are no help at all understanding Manu for me.

He’s very difficult to understand ,Paul. There’s a lot that went straight past,undeciphered.

6 Culinary Boner { 08.17.11 at 4:26 pm }

Missed last night’s installment mainly ’cause I knew they couldn’t outdo Hedge Hay, so good to have BDD’s insights again. Some comments:
– I’d also be ‘turning Japanese’ if single for 2 years.
– No man should have to shave off his beard just to get laid. All the gains hirsuite men made in the 70s under the beardist/mo-ist/chest-hairist revolution would appear to have been lost forever. These blokes nowadays have sold out the ideals of the past, just to please a few chicks. Hopefully Manu and Pete Evans are staying staunch to the cause.

7 davsimp { 08.17.11 at 8:14 pm }

ROFLMAO @ the ‘Crop Circle’. These three stooges/blokes should audition for masterchef 2012. Justin because shock, horror, he can actually cook and produced some fine dishes that evening; Rhys because he would provide the PMSL/clutsy-Jake factor that I missed in the series just gone; and finally the last peanut because he’s got the blaming of the cooking appliances for fucked up dishes down pat.

The thing that has been irking me the most though, is why do we need Manu carrying on at the beginning and then after various ad-breaks as well as a voice over guy? Shouldn’t it be Manu doing the voiceovers? Or the voiceover guy doing Manu’s job. I guess I am guilty of comparing it to Come Dine With Me where we don’t have a host as such, but James Valentine doing the voiceovers, and he is freaking hilarious!!

8 Sabear81 { 08.17.11 at 9:47 pm }

How funny was it when they played kelis ‘ milkshake’ as Janine was getting ready!

9 Pollywaffle { 08.17.11 at 11:36 pm }

You just know you are drinking too much piss when you can understand the Manu VOs

10 Reality Raver { 08.18.11 at 8:01 am }

BDD – Thanks again for the recap. Did Seven produce this show just so you could recap it? I have to say it is great to watch one show without having to recap.

Izobel2 – if this blog ever stops being a non profit organisation I will pay for guest posts. Injera is also sitting on three years of invoices.

Pollywaffle – well clearly I was sober, as I had no fucking idea what Manu said in his last take to camera.

Davisimp – ROFL at your reasons why they should apply for Masterchef, particularly relating to the Lebanese guy blaming utensils.

Paul – Could barely understand Manu but found it did not matter I don’t think his commentary is adding to the series.

11 Georgie { 08.18.11 at 6:25 pm }

Clearly you don’t have to be able to cook to get a run on this show and if you actually can it doesn’t guarantee a win! I guess all things being equal we could see a ‘same sex’ episode in the future.

12 Moonstruck { 08.18.11 at 7:03 pm }

Loved the recap and enjoying them even I don’t watch the show. Davsimp is Come Dine with me on pay tv?

13 davsimp { 08.18.11 at 11:13 pm }

Moonstruck, it is. From memory the last season aired in January on the lifestyle channel. They held auditions a while ago for another series so my guess is next January it will be shown again. Well worth a look, last series was a cracker and James Valentine makes it as far as I am concerned.

14 brain dead dave { 08.19.11 at 11:58 am }

I had the same thoughts as Culinary Boner, that the producers couldn’t possibly top the Hedge Hay episode. Some of HH’s work/cautionary tale was used in promos for this episode.

RR deserves a break after Ma$terchef. I didn’t think the show would last this long but there are competitions on local radio to watch(last weeks codeword was “asparagus” in SA) and win. Ch 7 are promoting it quite a bit on weekends ,too.

Understanding Manu seems to be a real problem for viewers. I agree with RR that it doesn’t really matter. I’m sober for these recaps,too,Pollywaffle. Just try to extrapolate the main words that Manu garbles.

These were,magnifique,advantage,impressive,embarrased and fire brigade. Manu’s married now with a young family…he’s gotta eat. So many women like him it’s hard to argue with his form. After DWTS he looked like he could take over from Kochie but now I’m not so sure.

I’ve no idea how the show is rating ,RR reckons it will last longer than I’ve given it. Ch 7 are still advertising for contestants. A same sex episode is a good idea,Georgie. Voila “Dinner Dyke”

Oh and there have been enough lamb roasts and stuff wrapped in proscuitto on Dinner Date so far. We know what they’ve been watching.

Thanks for the generous comments everyone.

15 RarelySeen { 08.20.11 at 8:42 am }

Thanks BDD, I missed this ep. but I feel I was there, now having read the recap. I keenly await a contestant to sous vide a dish; surely that would be tv gold.
Loved the reference to the stamina of Ma$terchef viewers, the NZ ditch & cooking with crop circles. Will be back for more.

16 brain dead dave { 08.21.11 at 1:55 pm }

Please note that Dinner Date has been shunted to 7.30 Thursday nights. Ch 7 reckon this is prime time stuff.

Those promos of Hedge Hay licking his fingers are really starting to kick in.