The Renovators – There Will Be A Second Season

In surprising but good news Channel Ten have announced tonight at their 2012 launch there will be a second season of The Renovators.

TV Tonight reporting from the launch wrote:

David Mott says of The Renovators, “So far the format has underperformed. But it’s a brand we believe in so we are working directly with Shine to renovate The Renovators for 2011 and beyond.

Very soon we may get the answer on what happens to a house on the show when there are no members left. Tomorrow night the beige team will be up for elimination and there are only two members left Nathan and Tina. In fact what will be their challenge? As usually the Thursday night show is cut into two parts. First they estimate the value of a property, and then renovate it using a white foam model. Hopefully tomorrow night they switch it up a bit.

However the sixties suburban team is in big trouble as they will only have one member left so in any challenges they are again at a disadvantage.

Tonight the challenge was to go to Reverse Garbage, where the teams had to turn the recycled material they found there into furniture to be sold at a charity auction for Kool Kids, which looks after indigenous children in South Sydney.

Just got to say I love that Shine/Channel Ten picked a smaller charity to do this for. Ok they probably were not going to make that much from the furniture, but now 700,000 actually knows it exists.

Ironically Top Design did a very similar challenge tonight at the Bowery which is in the same complex as Reverse Garbage. Clearly there are only so many design challenges people can think up.

For once the tears were not coming from the contestants but judge Peter Ho shed a tear as he was announcing the challenge as he feel very passionately about it.

The blue team of Michael and Jarrod were again really strong and made a fabulous table that sold for $2025. I think Michael should be the new Scott Cam.

The orange team had a bit of internal bitching, with team captain Peter taking a very hands off approach. However he did spend a bit of time bitching about Kim and her sideboard as did Lisa.  About 15 minutes before the end after a pep talk from Baz, Peter stepped in and made a weird silver dressing table that looked like something from a brothel, shoved Bob’s mirror on it and told Kim this is what we will be auctioning.

The producers must have been very disappointed when she didn’t go off like a fire cracker, but just laughed and said fine. Even though she had spent four hours making the piece of furniture. They ended up getting $2000 for it.

The light blue team aka the inner city terrace, made a gorgeous table made of paisley red covered by perspex. The person who bought that at auction got it for a bargain at  $700. Jason A is starting to get a fair bit of screen time is it because he has more personality then most of the others in his team?

The sixties suburban team were never going to do very well, they built a boring beige coffee table. They were lucky to receive $450 for it.

I really like the Marrickville shop teams chair and chandelier, I suspect if it had gone later in the auction it would have done much better.

Finally the green team were auctioning their beautiful light made of old fashion camera film.  It was popular and was the highest priced item of the night. This means they get a working bee at their house.

1 Laura { 08.17.11 at 11:57 pm }

Michael’s table was sold for $2500 : )

2 Heléna { 08.17.11 at 11:58 pm }

*ugh* I did not like any of the tables, although I liked the way the ladder was used by the khaki team

who was that man who bid on all those items? I wonder what he will do with them all? I was thrilled to see Fiona Katauskas in the bidding crowd – love her :o)

3 par3182 { 08.18.11 at 12:18 am }

Where did they get the bidders from? It seemed like it was the same three or four people bidding on every item.

I like Michael and Jarrod but $2500 for an old door on legs? That’s almost as outrageous as the amount of money paid for the hideous thing the Orange team built. There’s really no accounting for taste (or lack thereof).

Happy the film stock light got the win, but the blonde girl on the Green team is dead to me after saying her team was “in agreeance”.

4 Moo { 08.18.11 at 12:21 am }

“I just hope that the green team gets below $450.” Oh Tina, you’d have to be delusional to think your coffee table was better than the green team’s stunning light shade.

Granted, I really don’t like the green team much; those two sprightly/annoying girls are just doing my head in. Have you noticed Jason always stands behind his team mates when they’re facing the judges? He’s definitely the outcast on the team.

5 OL { 08.18.11 at 1:08 am }

When everyone was assigned to a house, I thought great, enough with these challenges, lets get to renovating the houses. Imagine my horror when I found out there were actually more challenges and they were actually kicking the main people off these houses.

Frankly I don’t get it and I don’t like getting jerked around. It’s like The Block, too much BS and useless challenges and too little renovation. Just let them go at the freaking houses dammit!! Needless to say I don’t watch any of them anymore except for Top Design, which thank goodness, it’s actually about design *gasp*

6 Heléna { 08.18.11 at 10:04 am }

I was hoping the green team would lose – I am really not liking the brunette – I think she should let Jason make the decisions while he is the head renovator

7 Chunks { 08.18.11 at 11:54 am }

I think the bidders were all fake ring-ins and the money all belonged to the prodiucers/network. Yes it’s a conspiracy theory.

8 Suzanne { 08.18.11 at 12:52 pm }

I LOVE Reverse Garbage – have never seen the place that clean and tidy though.

Word on the street is that the guy in the suit is a bank manager, but the blonde woman at the back was a ring-in. I guess all the donations would have been tax deductible.

9 seepi { 08.18.11 at 1:18 pm }

People do bid high at charity auctions.

There is a wierd dynamic in teh green team. Not sure what is going on. The blonde girl annoys me, always commenting on what needs to happen, but never speaking up to her team.

Orange team also had a strange one last night – why did none of them speak up earlier when it was clear the sideboard thing was never going to fly.

So far it seems that Chrissie (the over-emoter) on the grey team just does what she is told. I read in a trash mag that Natalia has a young baby at home – it must be hard to leave her!

10 smauge { 08.18.11 at 1:32 pm }

It’s not the first time Renovators has mimicked Top Design (or visa versa). They also did a chair challenge, followed by a design a room around the chair challenge.
RR – there’s a Jason J and a Jason H. That’s enough Jasons for one series. I presume you meant Jason J (otherwise known in this house as Stoner Jason)
And please don’t compare beautiful Michael to Dicknead Cam! He’s so much better! But I hope you’re right. I’d love to see more of him after this show. Maybe he can be a judge for next season. That’d shut Baz up!

11 Melly { 08.18.11 at 1:33 pm }

I am with OL up there, I want to see some renovating on the houses already! Once a week when it’s judgement day isn’t enough.

I enjoy the challenges OK but it’s not called “The Challengers” it’s called “The Renovators” and so far we have seen very, very little renovating of the houses that they spent so much time advertising.

I am just happy they Grey team didn’t win another working bee, disappointed for the Khaki team, but that table was so horrible and they deserve to be at elimination for that.

12 Pollywaffle { 08.18.11 at 1:38 pm }

The Renovators catch cry for 2012. This season is all about the…

polyfiller?

13 Georgie { 08.18.11 at 6:08 pm }

I think the bidders were rent-a-crowd – did anyone see the auction advertised or promoted on the show? Surely if it was fair dinks the producers would have wanted a good crowd which would also raise the profile of the show. Agree with sentiments on the ditzy duo from the green team – too cutesy for me.

14 brain dead dave { 08.18.11 at 6:25 pm }

Stoner Jason is left handed ,too, like Michael.

I just watched the encore this arvo. Maybe Kim’s all bark and no bite after her unstable table was nixed. I expected her to let off some steam after wasting four hours on that folly of hers.

I know this isn’t The Biggest Loser but it makes sense to even the numbers in the teams up.

15 Fiona { 08.18.11 at 8:47 pm }

I could be cynical but I almost felt for a while that Peter and Lisa were throwing the challenge in the hope that they could beat Kim in an elimination. They were just hanging her out to dry until Baz stepped in and said what are you doing? Suddenly Peter finds this piece and sprays it silver and voila! At least Kim took it well (I think she knew they would be crucified). Poor old Beige team, what happens when there is just one person left?

16 Izobel2 { 08.18.11 at 9:38 pm }

Hey Moo – I think Jason (aka Robert Barone) has to stand BEHIND his team as if he stood in front of his team the judges would be like “where’s the green team!”
I tend to agree with you Fiona, it looked as though Peter & Lisa were throwing the challenge, with the whole “i love control but today it’s Kim & Bob’s day”… They’re supposed to be a team.

I hope that the people who bought the art deco number aren’t disappointed that the main part of their piece took 10 seconds to spray paint. And I think they must’ve been rent a crowd. In saying that, these items were much better than the awful auction items on The Block. Also agree that the 2 girls are annoying in green team, and that Michael is great and that the grey team would’ve got much more for their cool bottle candelabra if they were on later in the proceedings.
Mm, khaki team down to one. Interesting.