Channel Ten Launch – Their Reality TV Line Up for 2012

Channel Ten launched their 2012 program last night, and the big surprise was they will be sticking with The Renovators for next year.

I think this a positive thing. The Renovators has the bones for the making of a great reality TV show. David Mott Network Ten’s Programming Director said: “So far the format has underperformed. But, it’s a brand we believe in so we are working directly with Shine to renovate THE RENOVATORS for 2011 and beyond.”

The Biggest Loser will be going back to the singles format rather then couples and families, but when they say singles they mean no boyfriend or girlfriend.

And of course Masterchef will return.

I know it is not reality TV show per se, but Young Talent Time will return, and the host will be former Australia Idol alumni Rob Mills. Do you agree with the choice of host? For some reason I am pretty excited about this but expect it has more to do with loving it when I was young. I hope they keep it a little bit cheesy.

Rob Mills has been working fairly consistently since his turn on Australian Idol so he must be thought of highly within the entertainment industry. Another Idol alumni who is pouring coffees between musical engagements is Matt Corby. Which is a pity as Matt is very talented, however I think fans may not have like on his last few weeks on the show that he was very negative about it. think he started believing his own hype.

What do you guys think?

1 some random { 08.18.11 at 10:36 am }

Back to singles in the biggest loser is good, families would’ve been okay, but thank goodness it’s not couples. The renovators, a new format can’t help that show, nothing can, i think i’ve watched half an episode and then wanted bury my head in the ground. The renovators has low ratings because it can’t compete with the block (which is also returning for nine), the viewing public who watch those kind of shows watch the block, and if it’s returning around the same time as the block, nothing is going to change for Ten. They’ll have to get their good ratings out of the biggest loser again.

2 Chunks { 08.18.11 at 11:46 am }

Haha Rob Mills as Johnny Young. I hope he’ll be finishing every week with “close your eyes and I’ll kiss you, tomorrow I’ll miss you…”

3 KhunDel { 08.18.11 at 12:28 pm }

I really like The Renovators and glad it will be back next. Hope they show more renovating of the houses and the problems encountered, decisions made etc rather than random challenges.
Tried watching The Block but get sick of the couple that fight all the time. I like to see how the rooms turn out though.

4 some random { 08.18.11 at 1:10 pm }

KhunDel- everyone gets sick of the arguing couple Josh and Jenna, but other than that i love the show, just hit the mute button when J&J start “discussing” their plans. Other than that there can be really funny and nice moments, and i don’t get the renovators, how on earth does the show work?????? Are there any challenges???? do they actually renovate a house????? I have no idea.

5 Moo { 08.18.11 at 4:55 pm }

I can’t stand The Biggest Loser. I don’t agree with the show’s philosophy that rapid, crash weight loss methods are the best way to a healthy lifestyle. No matter how “inspiring” or “motivating” that show is, it sends an awful message to everybody. The masterful editing on the show is also a big turn-off.

As for MasterChef, well, what can I say? I give that show 3 more seasons before it’s on its death bed.

6 Anonymous { 08.18.11 at 7:10 pm }

Just another tosser knocking matt Corby for having a go, so yesterday

7 Aussie Bloke { 08.18.11 at 7:36 pm }

Wow, can’t believe you’re still going on about Australian Idol. I thought Corby showed a lot of restraint once he realised what he had gotten himself into. From what I hear, Matt has been killing it with sold out shows here and in the UK, support gigs with Mumford and Elbow, not to mention rave reviews for his last EP Transition to Colour. I guess, like the majority of Australian Artists, Corby has to work to support himself between gigs – let’s face it, the Aussie Music Industry is miniscule compared to overseas. Until an artist becomes huge (and very few do) he or she has to pay the bills. Might pay to get your facts straight before writing this sort of drivel..

8 Chunks { 08.18.11 at 8:32 pm }

Uh oh the crazy stalker type fans are out…

9 Culinary Boner { 08.18.11 at 8:58 pm }

Does this mean Manu will do the piece-d’cameras and narration for ‘Biggest Loser -Desperate Singles Keen for Porking’?

10 brain dead dave { 08.18.11 at 9:15 pm }

Matt Corby = Hill$ong. Is he pouring coffees at Gloria Jean’s?

Speaking of artists becoming huge, Jack Farnham is getting bigger than Elvis.

Single Losers? Let the fatty frisson begin.

11 Izobel2 { 08.18.11 at 9:41 pm }

I hope Biggest Loser Singles is like that reality tv classic from a few years back called Paradise Hotel where a bunch of singles (most of them hot but not nice people) had to share a room with each other (one girl and one guy) and then swap rooms after a few nights….. Or considering it’s still Biggest Loser…. maybe I don’t.

12 Reality Raver { 08.18.11 at 10:39 pm }

Some random and Khun del- interesting perspectives of what you do and do not like about The Block. I wonder how much the 7.00pm time frame has helped The Block ratings.

Moo – The Biggest Loser is pretty radical, remember when Lara was locked in that room with the others and only ate one muffin in 24 hours?
Shows like Masterchef need to evolve otherwise ratings drop.

Aussie Bloke – I don’t get what you mean by “matt corby showed a lot of restraint once he realised what he had gotten into”

BDD – John Farnham is bigger than elvis? as in size or fame?
Culinary Boner – probably

Izobel2

Chunks – I was thinking about YTT today – I know I need to get a life -and I wondered if they were going to really slick it up? One of things about the previous series was that it was cheesy.

13 Izobel2 { 08.18.11 at 10:46 pm }

Ytt was cheesy and mimed and I still have two video cassettes full of my fave moments that I haven’t watched for 15 years that I used to copy the dance moves to. Wanna borrow them RR?! Surely Ytt won’t b like that in 2012?? And agree RR I bet the 7 pm time slot for The Block had lots to do with the ratings. Much prefer Renovators.

14 brain dead dave { 08.19.11 at 1:05 pm }

RR. I meant that Jack has got bigger in size than Elvis. A few weeks back Gary Mehigan cited the Dalai Lama as one of the most recognized faces on earth. I heard or read somewhere that Elvis is no 1 most recognized face.

15 Ben { 08.20.11 at 12:27 am }

Matt is well-known for doing limited-to-no press or media to back up his CD’s or tours. Millsy has always gotten his name out there. And that’s the difference between one hosting a major TV show and the other pouring coffees.

16 RarelySeen { 08.20.11 at 8:58 am }

A concern for The Renovators is the predictable format is too derivative of Ma$ty & it will pull them both down. Viewers are tired of the format, instead of flaming ‘M’s its a ‘smashing yellow hammer’. I’m very concerned that there is a cluster of Alzies at Ch10, and there may be grounds for the employees to sue given the repetitive nature of the programs coming out.
As a viewer that sits outside of a major metropolitan centre, I can see a dirty little sub-culture that is seeking to dictate the aesthetic norms of the viewing public. The wanker-host, nobs, (can’t remember his name) sounds like my old printmaking lecturer when he begins every sentence with “I have a problem with …”
And the blond crony at his elbow is not inspiring any viewing loyalty.
Bring on the heros of tv;
Next year, make the big dude in charge of the weatherboard house the presenter along with the tall willowy creative woman who makes chandeliers out of brown bottles.