Live BLOG – The Block Finale

Who is going to win? Who should have won? Did Jenna accept Josh’s proposal?

How much filler will this two hour episode have ?

These are the questions that will be discussed here tonight.

Come in and join the discussion tonight’s final episode of The Block. Polly and Waz do make a lovely couple. They were understandably upset. Maybe their real estate agent was underquoting so had not buyers in the reserve range.

Interesting to see how The Block managed to stretch out the team who picks where the order on where their house is in the auction to tonight’s episode. This all started back in Wednesday night’s episode.

Tania and Rod won and picked to go in fourth place, Polly and Waz wanted Β second, Josh and Jenna wanted first, and the girls had to take third position.

Personally I would have taken fourth position. What do you think?

Lisa Wilkinson just tweeted this –Β Just found out what happens at the auctions on #TheBlock. I still can’t believe the outcome. No-one could predict this! Hope ur watching.

I reckon that means Polly and Waz win.

Quick question if someone proposed to you on TV would you accept?

Katrina and Amie had first pick of the houses and it was good to be reminded that they picked theirs because it was the only free standing house. I thought josh and Jenna’s were free standing?

Do you think any of the people at the open houses are genuine buyers? I would say no.

Polly and Waz’s first room was shocking they did improve thankfully. However Waz in that visor is not a good look.

God they have even drawn out the reserve prices….

The reserve prizes are:

Katrina and Amie – $860,000

Rod and Tanya – $850,000

Polly and Waz – $840,000

Josh and Jenna Β – $950,00

Interesting Tania and Rod’s reserve looks very good for them.

Is Josh and Jenna’s house really worth $100,000 more than Tania and Rod’s and Polly and Waz’s?

Good result that Rod and Tania won fan favourite, and got to keep their Toyota Corolla.

The amount of cross promotion of shows, and products is amazing.

And JOsh proposed and Jenna accepted. She said “it is Tiffany”. She was crying and eventually said yes. Josh obviously told the producers that was what he was going to do. Scott Cam did not look surprised.

Jesus Josh and Jenna’s passed in at $901,000. Wow going first was not a good choice.

Polly and Waz’s house went for $855,000 so they made $15,000 profit, which does put them in the running for the $100,000 first prize.

All the ladies are looking very attractive tonight.

This is ridiculous that Polly and Waz’s is thought to be worth more than Katrina and Amie’s.

Were the reserves they set unrealistic? Katrina and Amie’s house passed in for $821,000.

Amie said “It is a waste of time,” after the property was passed in.

This final is becoming a farce. Can more then one team meet reserve?

Polly and Waz won when Tania and Rod’s house passed in at $832,000. Was there no one in that room who had any cash to spend?

The finale did not pop but just fizzled out. The only couple smiling were Polly and Waz.

The only highlight was Shelly Craft’s smile getting more strained as the night wore on.

Ok I am going to do a separate blog post on the finale.

1 kleenex mum { 08.21.11 at 8:35 pm }

well that was a shocker, so wanted rod and tania to win, but have to give credit where credit is due to p and w, never did they back away from hard work or trying or giving it a go, so well done to them, im gald rod and tania got the car and a holiday to thailand, also well done, again the sisters show off contempt was disgraceful, and im sorry i just cant see j and j lasting in marriage……. good bye block 2011

2 spikeycat { 08.21.11 at 8:36 pm }

That was sad – and really odd when there were people prior to auction saying they would bid up to $1.1m for Josh and Jenna’s and others sounded like they were willing to spend 900+.

3 Reality Raver { 08.21.11 at 8:36 pm }

Ridiculous and agree with you Brandy what a fizzer.

Melly it will be interesting to see what it actually sold for. only people happy at end of night are Polly and Waz.

Angel SN86 – I think they fin it hard to find genuine buyers

4 Dutch Courage { 08.21.11 at 8:38 pm }

You really have to wonder why this show has been a ratings success. Can anyone remember any highlights? Boring hosts, ridiculous challenges, hardly any renovation action, over the top product placement???? Anything positive?

5 Melly { 08.21.11 at 8:39 pm }

I agree spikeycat – why say you would pay 1.1mil and then not bid at all when it came time for it? Seems suss to me and I call shenanigans but then I am paranoid so who knows!

6 PollyB { 08.21.11 at 8:42 pm }

Ch 9 set up R&T to win for sure. They are their darlings. They were on the AFL footy show, hence Shane Crawford, and apparently they are footy show ‘favourites on the block’. They certainly come across as a footy show demographic. I feel sorry for all of them. Yes, ‘reality’ tv ‘stars’ deserve all they get, but all that work and those ridiculous challenges. Perhaps the next series contestants will get more realistic timeframes to complete. The buyer obviously is not going to throw good money at a pit that will need another couple hundred thousand spent on it.

7 spikeycat { 08.21.11 at 8:43 pm }

Well it does seem that most reality shows are kinda scripted so maybe the script called for the results they got, who knows. The devastation on the 3 losing couples faces was real though and I reckon they all shed a few tears today.

8 Monnique { 08.21.11 at 8:46 pm }

What a joke! The reserves r clearly not realistic kn todays market! It is a huge waste of time for the 3 couples. We shld all imagine putting in that much blood sweat & tears for sweet FA! What a complete & utter flop!

9 nittywitty { 08.21.11 at 8:48 pm }

Why is it that the house with the lowest reserve was the only one that has city views. Doesn’t add up. Hope that channel nine can take a hint and do a public auction like series 1 and 2 especially in the current financial climate. Thanks RR for the live blog. Couldn’t bear to watch it on TV and now I’m so glad that I didn’t.Had an awful feeling it would be a letdown.

10 spikeycat { 08.21.11 at 8:48 pm }

And my last comment about real estate in Melbourne, we live neighbouring suburb to Richmond, Kew, and house 5 doors down had a reserve of $3.5m sold for $4.13 last week, so I think the market may be down in some spots but not all. Richmond homes are selling well every week so the results tonight seem suss indeed Melly.

11 Archer { 08.21.11 at 8:49 pm }

So how much work was actually done by the unlicensed contestants?

12 Melly { 08.21.11 at 8:51 pm }

Just saw in a newsbreak that K&A sold their house after the auction for the reserve of $860k so good news for them.

Wasn’t it stated somewhere that the houses were actually underquoted? So maybe they knew it would be a flop and had them lower the prices a bit? *shrugs*

13 some random { 08.21.11 at 8:51 pm }

YES!!!! the underdogs, i honestly did not think they would win, i thought it would be a two horse race between rod and tania and josh and jenna, but i was wrong, and i’m glad i was. Go team polly and waz!

14 RogerD { 08.21.11 at 8:51 pm }

Just on the 9 news bulletin – Amie’s place was sold for reserve post auction $860,000

15 Jeremyb { 08.21.11 at 8:51 pm }

The Block auction was a discrace, all the partners worked extremely hard on the properties, left their familys and friends; and for what??. I am discusted that the reserves where so high. Its not the couples fault that the Block went over budget. What a bunch of assholes.

16 Dutch Courage { 08.21.11 at 8:51 pm }

RR, if Shelley Craft becomes one of he highlights of the show we better switch to Renovators. Scott Camm didn’t have anything interesting to say tonight either. A 2 hour show with nothing worth remembering other than we should all be using Windows 7 and drink our coffee at MacCafe.

17 Reality Raver { 08.21.11 at 8:51 pm }

Archer – I suspect that the houses were gone over with a fine tooth comb by a proper builder.

I think genuine buyers are spooked by the crowds and publicity.

18 skye { 08.21.11 at 8:53 pm }

But Katrina and Amie’s sold for reserve, so they still made no money at all, isn’t that right? It must have been the Curse of the Galah Cushion!

19 Wurstsemmel { 08.21.11 at 8:55 pm }

Thought P&W reserve was too close to the others given a smaller house, smaller block. J&J was a little unfair too.

Very happy team P&W won. Otherwise R&T would have been my choice but at least they got a car and a holiday. And they will all eventually get some money as long as they beat the reserve.

I thought the proposal was tacky. On tv, first comment was ‘oh, it’s from Tiffany’ …oh and of course the story is in a magazine this week. So special but a bit of an earner I guess.

The girls reaction didn’t surprise me, particularly Amie. I quite like Katrina.

I’m just glad overall to 1 get my evenings back and 2 not watch endless Underbelly trailers

20 Unknown { 08.21.11 at 9:00 pm }

Finale! What a let down – total anti climax! Waste of good TV time. Reserves were set up to far too high in this market . Channel 9 can’t expect to recover what they’ve paid for if, they should have taken into consideration todays market. I wonder how the smallest and least tasteful house and couple managed to reach reserve??????? Not a fan a fan of winners at all….too “fake” for me.

21 Elle { 08.21.11 at 9:00 pm }

Wow, I can’t believe the final Results. Not only did the house I LEAST expected to win won, but they were the only ones who made any money on the night as well. Even with Josh and Jenna’s ridiculously inflated (in comparison to the others) reserve, I still thought they had a chance at taking it out. to only get one bid of 901 was just terrible, and would have to be devestating. Same goes for the other two couples who’s properties got passed in, they must feel so deflated.
I’m thinking the only reason Polly and Waz got up there is because of city views? They were the only house from what I recall to get the views, yet their reserve didn’t reflect that at all.

Also, something to note, the reserves were set BEFORE the couples even started on the block, given that that was what, like 6+ months ago, and the market has taken a significant dive since then, I would have thought the reserves would be adjusted, obviously not.

Ah well, enjoyed watching the series, despite the ridiculous product placements, came out with a couple of nice ideas for my own reno, and hopefully all of the teams sell their houses and get something for their time after it’s all over!

22 kleenex mum { 08.21.11 at 9:01 pm }

several bloggers have said…. but to do all that hard work, its like any competition. there is a winner and always a loser. You would have to go into something like this with the attitude that you could walk away with nothing or the winnings, i hope not to pick up a magazine this week and have to read the sisters ( mums ) story about how unfair it all was, nobody put a gun to there heads and made them leave their homes, husbands, kids and simple lives to come on the block, so shut up sisters and look at it all as a life changing experience. look at this way they can now add tradesman to there mum resumes……

23 Elle { 08.21.11 at 9:04 pm }

Damn, the mum’s house sold for reserve only after Auction? that sucks for them :(

24 nittywitty { 08.21.11 at 9:07 pm }

The real winner of The block series 4 is the lucky owner of the 4 houses who got 3.6 mil for doing nothing!!!!!

25 Dutch Courage { 08.21.11 at 9:08 pm }

While we are updating resumes, the sisters might want to add ‘super whingers’ to theirs…even more irritating than J & J’s bickering.

26 Elle { 08.21.11 at 9:08 pm }

lol nitty, so true. They would be laughing their asses of right about now πŸ˜›

27 Melly { 08.21.11 at 9:12 pm }

The sisters also need to add “Professional shoppers” to their resume.

28 JM { 08.21.11 at 9:32 pm }

I can’t believe Polly & Waz won, with the worst decor, smallest house and disaster of a kitchen. I feel sorry for Josh & Jenna – three huge bedrooms and the large kitchen, dining, living area. I agree with an earlier post that real buyers are probably scared off by the cameras and publicity. In that case what are all those losers doing in the audience at the auction and what is the criteria that Channel Nine uses for admitting people to the audience at the auction if they aren’t bidding.

29 Elle { 08.21.11 at 10:02 pm }

I think half of them just are there for a nosey, and quite a few just to get on tv (ahem, guy in the pink suit).

30 bella vita { 08.21.11 at 10:50 pm }

guy in pink suit wanted to start the bidding at 650, he obviously wanted his 5 mins of tv time and wasnt a serious bidder….
Just line the place with buyer’s agents and get rid of the other 180 people there

31 sue { 08.22.11 at 7:59 am }

I don’t think the sisters were “whingers”- I think they were showing immediate and genuine disappointment and frustration that all their time and hard work had come to …NOTHING!!!! Pretty understandable reaction I think… :)

32 lala { 08.22.11 at 11:31 am }

what a joke that the least talented couples win, there had the worst taste and never fully thought through anything. To make matters worse they only won because Pollys rich dad bought there house. Its just not right…. officially over the block now its just a joke. polly is so annoying

33 mattjames { 08.22.11 at 5:05 pm }

Pink Suit Man won the Block! We saw him more than any other person. I don’t know if he was wanting to buy anything, but he seemed pretty happy to be with the 2 hot models who were sitting next to him. If there is a celebrity version of The Block, then make sure he is on it. Oh, with his hot girls too!

34 Sarah { 08.22.11 at 7:27 pm }

Oh boy i really was hoping R & T won but Ammie needs to watch herself in a repeat of these shows.When her husband & kids came to visit she didn’t even acknowledge her husband at all only the kids.After her rude behaviour about “”what a waste of time””comment she then walked off & Katrina cried in her husband”s arms NOT AMMIE she didn’t even speak to her husband what a sour puss>GO HOME you nasty bitch & don’t come back

35 Sarah { 08.22.11 at 7:50 pm }

AMIE everybody doesn’t walk away with $200,000 on Deal or NO DEAL, everybody who goes on WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONARE walks away with a million $$$.You applied to go on this show with no promises.You should take a leaf out of your sister’s book.She ran to the arms of her husband NOT YOU.Your sister & all the other contestants that didn’t win didn’t carry on like you.I really wouldn’t enter another competition BAD SPORT