The Renovators – The Show Is A Little Unfair At Times

The Renovators appears to be struggling in the ratings with only 407,000 viewers last night. Ok it was going up against The Block finale but it is not good.

It is a pity as last night’s episode where they had to build the lego tower was quite entertaining.

Network Ten announced last week they were pushing ahead with a second season. I won’t be surprised if they kill it off after this season has finished.

However it would be great to see a second season as the show really has some positive aspects to it, the downside is it is a little bit confusing and at times unfair.

The Green Team won tonight as the team who had done the best/most on their house over the week. It was a no brainer they had done the most work they had a working bee with all the rest of the contestants on their site for a day.

Conversely one of the teams that landed in the bottom two was the khaki team (beige) had part of the week with only Nathan on the team. Suzanne had only been on the team a day so was unable to do much work.

At least we now know what happens when a team gets to one person there is a challenge and the team leader gets someone from another team.

Suzanne is a little bit of a princess she complained ” I feel like I have had no input into the house what so ever,”. She had onely been in the sixties suburban house for about five minutes.

Nathan who is not one of the great communicators just grabbed a tool and started working. I think he is now having second thoughts about picking her.

After the shock exit of Fiona due to her health issues,I had been hoping they would bring Tina back. However as @smauge said they didn’t replace Ali when she quit in a huff from the blue team.

The blue team only have two members but they are really hard workers so avoided elimination tonight.

If any of the light blue team,  who are renovating the inner city terrace are eligible to vote in the City of Sydney elections, it is unlikely they will  be voting for Clover Moore.  they were delayed in getting their development application, and then they had to wait to get their construction certificate.

They must be at least three weeks behind the other teams. Theoretically they should have been up for elimination but that would have been unfair.

The orange team are the team who will be competing in the elimination challenge tomorrow. They landed there because of problems with the deck. It was not constructed up to standard. However that was code for we cannot put the khaki in another elimination challenge.

The orange team are entertaining – today’s issue was the friction between Peter and Kim. She said  she had been told to finish the deck by yesterday, and Peter just stared straight ahead not saying anything. Had Peter told Kim to cut corners? Or was she trying to blame him for her lack of knowledge in how to build a deck to a high standard?

There must have been an arguement between the two as Bob said it happened yesterday was over now. Why weren’t the cameras there a barney between Kim and Peter would be ratings gold to see the fear and loathing in St Peters.

I am starting to get some favourites. I like Lisa from the orange team, Jason J and Kennan from the light blue team. Loving Michael and Jarrod and I think Michael is a real chance of winning. Natalia and Christie are also my favourites.

Conversely Melissa is bugging the crap out of me. How many times did she mention Harrison her child in her two minutes camera time, and who wants to inspire their child to be a renovator.

However she is 26 years old and currently owns three homes, so clearly very driven.

Tomorrow night the orange team goes up for elimination in a panic room challenge, and it looks very messy indeed. Who would you like to see eliminated?

1 Heléna { 08.22.11 at 10:39 pm }

I would love to have seen Fiona explain why she had chosen August to be head renovator – I don’t mind him but it would have been good to hear her reasons

I have had a problem with Suzanne for ages, she seems to think everything should be done her way, and belittle’s everyone else’s opinion, I’m sure Nathan is having regrets

I am worried for the elimination tomorrow night – I dearly hope Kim goes, I would hate to see either of the other three go

2 OL { 08.22.11 at 11:06 pm }

I still don’t get this show. Are they just gonna continue to eliminate everyone until they’re left with just one person working on each house? Or none at all? Bloody hell I’m baffled and as far as I know, this show has done nothing to explain how the show works. Every time I switch on they’re either playing with toys or working on some damn white room in the warehouse. Oh wow, here’s a thought. How about letting them work on their houses instead?!

At this rate, the houses will be finished by 2013. And by Baz alone because they’ll send everybody packing after the gazillionth warehouse challenge. Jeezus and I thought Masterchef was mediocre and tedious. WHAT THE HELL IS SUPPOSE TO HAPPEN ON THIS SHOW?! *head explodes*

3 Dutch Courage { 08.22.11 at 11:09 pm }

Lisa is a bit of a weird one in the orange team. She definitely adds drama and got a sense of humour but how is she contributing to the renovation? Her priority seems to be how to look good on camera and the camera crews seems to love her. I don’t see her doing much work though, maybe she is still recovering from assembling the BBQ at the working bee.

I think August was the obvious choice to be the headrenovator. His planning and project management skills will prove to be very important for the team. The 2 girls are fantastic workers but wouldn’t be be able to fulfill that critical role.

4 GL { 08.22.11 at 11:40 pm }

I agree, it is a confusing show when it comes to the competition side of things. However I am really enjoying being shown how to do things that have stopped me from progressing with my renovation nightmare.

Kim is my pick to exit tomorrow night also. She asserts herself in an unusual way and the harmony between them all suffers for it. But she has given things a go that I would not attempt so good on her for that. Lisa has grown on me. I find her quite amusing and she really knows her stuff when it comes to decorating.

Melissa is wonderful. I love how she talks about Harrison. One day he will watch the show and just see how much he meant to his mum, so I think it is nice. She is exactly where I was at 26 with her thoughts but she is much better at putting her desire for financial security and an easier life for her family into action. Even though I do not know her, going by her bio I am actually proud of what she has achieved at 26 and I think she is now who I would like to see win.

But hey, they are all doing a great job. Will be interesting to see the results of the auctions after The Block was such a fizzer. Shame this show is starting in such a depressed real estate market.

5 Moo { 08.22.11 at 11:44 pm }

This is definitely the kind of show that’s hard for a new viewer to pick up mid-season if they didn’t watch the first week or two, and even then it’s still pretty bewildering. I still don’t understand why the contestants are spending so much time in the warehouse and almost no time renovating the houses.

Honestly, I think the blue team should get an additional 2-3 weeks to renovate the terrace. That’s just not fair how we’re nearly midway through the season and they haven’t been able to do anything on the terrace. I’m sure Luke regrets picking it now.

As usual early on in any season of reality TV, some of the contestants are racking up heaps of camera time and we’re getting to know them well, but others… Not so much. I’ve been watching from Day 1 and tonight was the first time I saw of this “Sam” girl. I was like “who the heck is she!?” I looked on The Renovators website and I even had trouble finding her on there, haha. I didn’t know who Suzanne was until a few nights ago either.

6 par3182 { 08.23.11 at 1:19 am }

I came in mid-season (the episode where the posh woman left ’cause she couldn’t possibly work under these conditions) and I’m not that confused….and now I’ve read that the competition hasn’t really been explained I feel pretty much up to speed.

I’d forgotten the Green Team had the working bee; that makes their win a little unfair.

My faves so far are Nathan (sweet), Keenan (cute), Natalia (workhorse) and the fibro boys (underdogs)…as well as the classy Fiona before she had to depart.

Most annoying – that wispy excuse for a goatee judge Peter is trying to grow on his chin. Somebody hold him down and buzz that thing off.

They could boot the entire Orange team and I wouldn’t mind.

7 sue { 08.23.11 at 7:21 am }

GL- was agreeing with you until you said how much you like Melissa- she annoys the crap out of myself and my 21 yr old daughter, and that green room??? hyper kid every day if living in that!!!!

I am enjoying the show a lot, although I do wonder what the rules are and what happens to the houses when we are down to just 6 renovators and they still do eliminations- do some houses not get finished?? that would be disappointing.

I agree that it was a little unfair that the green team won, when they achieved so much via a working bee, but them’s the breaks.

I love Lisa, and my daughter loves Peter, Bob who is a workhorse, and I think Kim may have a split personality!! lol I hope Kim goes, becoz she seems the odd 1 out in the team, and the deck issues were her fault.

Suzanne annoys me immensely, she wants things all her own way & I do not think she is a team person. I think she was the cause of much discord in the green team.

Love Michael and Nathan- hoping they win :) I also think Natalia is awesome, and I think August will be a good team leader.

Terrace House reno team- I am sure they will do something to even up the delay dilemma, and hopefully the dark haired lady goes soon…not so keen on her either!

God- it seems I am a fussy biatch !!! :):)

8 Reality Raver { 08.23.11 at 9:50 am }

OL – I think you have picked up one of the crucial points why viewers may not be attracted or sticking to the program, is that the rules are confusing. Personally I don’t mind the challenges as I think scene after scene of people tearing up decks and using nail guns gets tedious.

A bit more clarity would be good.

Helena – I think Fiona picked August to have the keys as he project manages redesigns all the time, and does seem to managing it well. HOwever it did look like all the girls were doing the hard yakka.

Dutch Courage – I disagree about Lisa I think she does get into the hard yakka. I think the orange team have quarrantine Kim out the back with the deck as they don’t want her near the house for some reason. If Kim does get eliminated tonight it will be interesting to hear what she has to say in the post elimination interviews.

GL – that is the beauty of reality TV and the contestants – everyone of them will attract fans and detractors. What appeals to one person doesn’t to another. Good luck with your own reno.
Also agree I think this show is good and it is a pity it is not getting the viewers in.

Moo – Interesting point about how the show is difficult could be difficult to pick up mid-season.

Par3182 – I really like Peter Ho. In fact I like all of the judges. Not sure about Brendan Moar – he could use a few inflections in his voice perhaps?

Sue – I am presuming the auctions occur after it is down to one person per house.

9 brain dead dave { 08.23.11 at 10:54 am }

I see Baz is wearing a few scarves…just when I was getting over Jowlsy’s cravats.

The show is still being encored in the afternoons which is handy because the diabolical Dinner Date has amazingly gone prime time 7.30 on Thursday.

10 Fides { 08.23.11 at 11:06 am }

I think they make the rules up as they go along. They’ve never really been explicit about anything except that the winner takes all the profits from all the houses.

Speaking of which, I’ve noticed they’re advertising the show differently now . Yesterday there were ads on the radio and TV which I hadn’t heard/seen before really emphasising the grand prize of one winner gets all the profit etc. Is it because of what happened on the Block? Does that mean the reserve prices on the houses would be the initial house price + budget for renos? It’s like the Renos advertisements were subtly highlighting that they won’t have the Block’s problems because their houses will all sell. Or maybe I’m reading too much into it.

Suzanne bugged me from the first time I saw the green team and she and Melissa kept manically saying “are we there yet?” on the way to their house. She and Jason really clashed a few times – bet he doesn’t mind she’s gone. Nathan would have been better off picking Natalia though- she’s got some amazing design ideas and works so hard.

Must admit I’m now fascinated by this show, mainly because I don’t understand it and have no idea where it’s going, but after the Block fiasco (and I didn’t even watch it) I’m even more interested to see what happens when these houses are finished and ready for sale.

11 Jasmin { 08.23.11 at 11:13 am }

I had picked Fiona to win so I was disappointed to see her leave.

Kim seems happy to blame the team for the deck. Why didn’t she speak up and ask for a tradie to come on and work on it? Or a least someone to come in and give them pointers on the way to construct it properly.

12 Culinary Boner { 08.23.11 at 1:01 pm }

“still don’t get this show. Are they just gonna continue to eliminate everyone until they’re left with just one person working on each house? Or none at all? Bloody hell I’m baffled”…

OL, reckon you are spot on.

The plot’s running like Agatha Christie’s “Ten Little Indians” (which I read as a school kid in the 1970s under its less PC title of “Ten Little Niggers”*). Will contestants continue to be ‘bumped off’ one-by-one? *Waves at producers* Perhaps you should read the book. The story was all but over when there was no one left. (There may have still been a dog wandering around.) It was the ultimate unsolvable serial mass murder. Is The Renovators aiming to be equally ‘unsolvable’?

* Brit racial stereotyping tripe like “Love Thy Neighbour” was high rating fare in them days. “Who you calling a nig nog, you big white honky.”

13 Moo { 08.23.11 at 1:09 pm }

Oh, and as to who I think should be eliminated from the orange team tonight… They’re all equally “meh” in my eyes, so I don’t mind. Peter was one of my favourites at first but his drama queen antics are slowly getting on my nerves.

14 EH { 08.23.11 at 1:51 pm }

BDD, I believe Baz is wearing scarf to cover the scar down his neck from his operation removing his cancer tumor.

15 Susan { 08.23.11 at 1:57 pm }

Possible Spolier Alert …….

Channel 10 at it again – if you look closely at the Qld preview, you will see Peter & Kim in it – either Lisa or Bob seem to be going home tonight ……………

16 Sam { 08.23.11 at 2:15 pm }

It is interesting that the light blue team lodged 3 DA’s with City of Sydney Council http://blockbrief.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/the-renovators-the-best-laid-plans/

17 seepi { 08.23.11 at 4:26 pm }

I love this show. I love the white room challenges. I guess for me the decorating is more interesting than sanding walls etc too. It is also easier to tell who is making decisions and doing the design work.

Suzanne is fairly annoying – did she really think she could walk in the house and start moving walls etc – that said, he should have pacified her with some minor decisions.

Kim is an oddball. I’m really not sure what is going on there.

18 AngelSN86 { 08.23.11 at 4:31 pm }

I’ve only just started really getting into this show now that The Block is over so it is a bit confusing at times. I could not work out what CC meant, lol. I sort of got that it was something to do with council or development approval or something but it did seem a bit unfair that they couldn’t really do anything for 3 weeks.

The communication issues with the Orange team were interesting. Again, it was a bit confusing when they’re going on about ant capping etc and I was like, huh? But Kim has clashed with a few of them lately, with Lisa in the colour scheme challenge and now with Peter over the decking. I think she should’ve spoken up earlier if she didn’t know what she was doing. Rather than fumble along for a few days and then complain at the end that she couldn’t do it or blame the others for her mistakes. The ads make it look like Bob might be going home in the kitchen elimination challenge. But that could be misdirection.

I’m going for the blue boys at the fibro cottage now that Kelly is gone. They’ve worked so hard and they’ve been so good at just getting on with the job, not whinging that its only 2 of them, like the Khaki team did. They’ve just accepted it and said yup we just need to work harder. I like the boys on the Green team too, especially Keenan. Suzanne annoys the hell out of me too though. I remember the episode where the judges were looking at their house and she kept disagreeing with Jason in front of the judges.

19 seepi { 08.23.11 at 5:10 pm }

I like the fact that REnovators moves fast. So there was a problem with ant-capping – on teh Block they would have built a whole episode around this, and repeated themselves 5 times. In REnovators we just get told it is a problem, and it is Kim’s fault – that is all I need to know really!

20 brandy { 08.23.11 at 6:07 pm }

Yep, no spoon-feeding . and the hosts speak in normal voices – none of that faux excited trill that Shelly does, or Scot Cam with his telling a story to a bunch of preschoolers tone.

I love the white room challenges too, they could do them five nights a week and I’d be very happy.I thought last night was also more interesting than usual and that they’d added in some explanations on the basics so new viewers could catch up.

21 Jasmin { 08.23.11 at 8:07 pm }

For some reason Lisa reminds me of Fran Fine.

22 Dutch Courage { 08.23.11 at 8:33 pm }

Jasmin, who the heck is Fran Fine????

23 sue { 08.23.11 at 8:46 pm }

dutch courage…you are joking??? the Nanny…. !!! :):)

24 Dutch Courage { 08.23.11 at 9:08 pm }

Sue, thanks, got it! I think Fran looks a bit better but has a more irritating voice. So my vote would go to Lisa! She is a camera magnet. Did you see her in the miniskirt (or whatever it was) showing off her legs during the Masterclass on Friday?

25 Reality Raver { 08.23.11 at 9:08 pm }

Jasmin – Oh you are right Fran Fine Lisa is indeed.

Seepi – well The Block DID draw out who would get to pick first on where they would go in the auction over three episodes.

26 Reality Raver { 08.23.11 at 9:19 pm }

Brandy – Yes I think the pace is much faster then the block. thought just watching the end of tonight’s episode now and the last five minutes is about how the person eliminated feels.

Seepi I think the orange team were trying to pin the ant cap thing on Kim, not sure if that is correct.

Angel SN86 – I would like to know more of the communication issues of the orange team. they seem to really marginalise Kim

27 Heléna { 08.23.11 at 10:30 pm }

I agree par3182 I don’t think the green team should have won as they did have the working bee

– I actually thought Kim would stay tonight if only to cause some tension with Lisa and Peter :) she was a great worker ( I think they all are on the orange team) but everything she touched seemed to go pear shaped she volunteered to do the deck and I think the others just thought that she would know what to do, I bet they all learnt a lot about pest control and using the correct outdoor fixtures!

the challenge for tomorrow night looks good too

28 Marepoppin { 08.23.11 at 11:10 pm }

Lol I think the navy blue boys should win all the judgement days, they work hard and deserve more screen time! Bet Big Jason is thrilled Suzanne had to jump ship

29 Laura { 08.24.11 at 2:09 am }

For those new viewers who think the terrace’s delay getting council approval is unfair – Luke knew full well that it was heritage listed when he chose it over the other properties. (He chose second so only the Sixties Suburban was already taken). It has a lot of potential so he obviously weighed that up with the inevitable delay and chose it anyway.

I love the Fibro guys too, especially Michael.

Also I think it’s silly to say that the Green Team should have been denied the win because they had a working bee. They won the working bee as a prize. And what would be the point of winning if it disqualified you for the next inspection? The purpose of the working bee is to put them at an advantage. That’s why it’s a prize!

I think the problem with this comp is that it’s too easy for some teams to be on a winning roll, while others go on a downwards spiral. Once a team starts losing members or experiences friction, it’s really hard for it to get back on its feet. While another team, intact with all 4 members and on a winning high, helped by working bees… It’s almost impossible for them to lose against demoralized teams of 2. Thankfully the navy blue team bucked the trend!

Hopefully the producers can smooth out the kinks for next season because I really like this show. Much better than The Block IMO!