The Renovators – Blacktown Fibro Team The One To Beat

Firstly I just want it on the record that I think the light blue team will win the working bee this week, as they are four weeks behind due to their delay in their development application. Thank you very much City of Sydney Council.

If I am wrong I will definitely mea culpa.

Tonight there were two interesting challenges- the  first was to build a carport over the cars. The first three  teams to complete it to Barry and Peter’s standards were through to go into a white room challenge. This was a nice bit of product placement for the cars manufacturer and is a perfect example of how it is now placed with the shows. (Just plugging recent research on this issue here )

Navy blue team were first to finish, followed by orange, then light blue team. Interestingly enough the light blue team had Luke and Sam building, and Jason J stood out the challenge.

The white room challenge was to design a luxury bathroom. Peter smiled when he heard of this challenge however it wasn’t a fairy tale ending for the orange team. He had a lot of tiling to do but let the two extra workers he was allowed to pick themselves. Therefore he got Natalia and Melissa. Not gun tilers.

They did not get a lot of it done, and they were behind everyone else when they came in the morning. Also mosaics do look nice but you have to grout them, and this is time consuming. Both the orange team, and the light blue team did not get this finished. I would have thought they would have thought about the limited time frame they had to finish it in.

The navy blue team, Michael and Jarrad, went for the larger tiles, so the tiling was finished, and grouted, and then they had time to work on what is their weak spot – design.

It paid off for them they ended up doing a very nice bathroom, with a gorgeous bath and chandelier. People will be divided over the TV, however I suppose they are in luxury hotel bathrooms these days. They ended up winning the prize of $15,000 of bathroom equipment.

Peter was very upset he did not get to finish his bathroom, there were aspects I liked. For example the toilet hidden behind a partition, however the partitions also made the room feel smaller.

He is clearly missing Lisa as he named it after her. Peter also knows that $15,000 worth of bathroom goods should have been his. He should also know the short cuts to make a bathroom look good, however he did not use them.

Lisa will be missed from the show as she is a personality. What does make a reality TV contestant likeable? The good thing about reality TV is the audience what some viewers don’t like others will like, so contestants normally find some sort of fan base.

Also normally I write about the manipulation of editing and how they present the contestant. In this show I feel we are getting a vignette on what the person is really like.

Maybe because there is no stand out villain this could  be the reason the show is not rating as well.

I suspect if Lisa had been eliminated early she probably would not have been that well liked. However in the end her quirky personality was engaging and entertaining.

Michael is another of the contestants who is gaining a huge fan base. Don’t be surprised if he pops up in the media or on a renovation show after his time on The Renovators is done. He is an all-rounder and just gets stuck in. By the way I don’t find him a hottie, however I am sure there are a lot of girls that do. Even though there are only two in his team, they are hitting way above their age and experience.

The Blacktown fibro at this stage has got to be favourite to win, particularly now they have a pool, and a second bathroom.

Natalia is possibly the most popular of the women contestants that are left. She has both the design and the practical skills to renovate. Also she has a lovely personality.

In fact most of the contestants I like. The only ones that I don’t are Kathy, Sue and Luke as they are too bland. In fact the light blue team without Jason J would be complete dullsville.  Suzanne and Melissa personalities irritate me, however as seen in previous comments on this blog they are liked by some viewers.

Who do you like and don’t like so much on the show?

1 smauge { 08.29.11 at 10:15 am }

I’m in the “michael is a hottie” group. I also love Jason J, who we refer to as Stoner Jason. He’s a real character. The show is not exploiting Natalia’s personality enough. she is so interesting and talented. In fact that whole grey team are flying under the radar at the moment.

2 Heléna { 08.29.11 at 10:19 am }

Suzanne and Melissa followed by Cathy are on my exit list – now please :) – I am still so sad that Lisa left, my favourites would be Peter and Natalia – I love her designs, followed closely by Michael, who is obviously very skilled at renovation, but also seems like a genuinely nice person

3 Marepoppin { 08.29.11 at 10:48 am }

I’m so firmly in the ‘michaels a hottie’ camp that I’ve built a cabin, bricked up a barbecue and whacked a hills hoist out the back! Lol just love him, such a genuinely nice bloke who says grouse and it aware of his limitations but powers through them to deliver top notch execution with decent design. Blacktown fibro cottage all the way.
I’m over Kathy and Sam. Youre right, complete dullsville. I did enjoy lukes gratuitous shirtlessness in the ‘player profile’ cutaway last night. I also think keenans a cutie in his glasses but he’s far too old for me. Loving this show :)

4 Melly { 08.29.11 at 11:01 am }

You’re right about there not being a “villain” which I am happy and sad about. It’s nice to have a show where there isn’t someone who is being a complete douche the whole time, but it’s disappointing not to feel that passion of wanting someone to leave because they are a douche.

I don’t like Kathy or Suzanne just because they irritate me, I don’t know why they do, they just do.

Love Peter even if he is a bit up himself at times, love Natalia I want to see more of her, I love August (even though he is a bit creepy sometimes) love Michael and Jarred.

I like most of the people on the show actually, which is unusual for these types of shows.

5 Fides { 08.29.11 at 11:04 am }

Completely agree with your likes/dislikes RR. Cathy bores me, and the way she called Suzanne “Susannah” bugged me too, though I don’t much like Suzanne. I think the show really needs to promote Michael the hottie like Hayden from MC. I think Michael is much hotter than Hayden. And the other bloke on Michael’s team – is it Brendan ? – he is a sweetie. Go the Navy Blues!

I once had the pleasure of staying in a luxury hotel which had a plasma TV in the bathroom. It was right at the end of the bath, and had a waterproof remote to boot. I didn’t think I’d bother about it, but it was faaaaabulous! I ended up in the bath for hours just watching telly. You couldn’t see the TV from the toilet though, but I don’t think I’d enjoy that anyway.

And another thing, do people really put rugs and soft furnishings in a bathroom? I just think of all that damp and it puts me right off.

6 smauge { 08.29.11 at 11:13 am }

Michael’s teammate is Jarred and he should be concerned that you don’t know his name after 5 weeks.

7 Marepoppin { 08.29.11 at 12:34 pm }

Ha whenever jarrod comes on talking bout the fibro I’m like ‘go away, let Michael tell me about it’… Poor jarrod lol

8 Dutch Courage { 08.29.11 at 12:49 pm }

This show is going to be very interesting, ending up with only 6 contestants, each looking after one house and not necessarilly the house that they are working on right now. The other thing is that eliminations are not only based on the lack of progress in the houses. Therefore Michael and Jarrod could easily be in the loosing team in one of the group challenges, be eliminated if unlucky and see someone else picking up the keys to the Fibro cottage. Gotta love it!

9 brain dead dave { 08.29.11 at 1:07 pm }

There really isn’t a villain in this laid back, watchable show.

That legohead from Ma$terchef was wrong about the pack moving on and savaging someone on The Renovators.

10 Marepoppin { 08.29.11 at 1:21 pm }

Bdd- please, I’d nearly forgotten about her, let her memory die….

11 Dutch Courage { 08.29.11 at 1:32 pm }

BDD, i have no clue what you are trying to say there. Still think ‘legohead’ is a totally un-funny reference to an attractive lady with a cute hairdo. Miss you Dani!!

12 Fides { 08.29.11 at 2:08 pm }

Thanks smauge! I hang my head in shame. Sorry Jarrod! I’ve only started regularly watching this show last week and find the women more memorable than the men. All I know is there is a Brendan – is he the guy who wears the brown leather hoodie? Oh that’s the host, right?

13 brain dead dave { 08.29.11 at 2:15 pm }

Dani said that the haters would move on to hating someone in The Renovators and it hasn’t really happened is what I was trying to say, Dutch Courage.

14 Dutch Courage { 08.29.11 at 2:53 pm }

BDD, thanks for explaining that.
Kelly definitely had the potential to be ‘hated’ but fortunately he was eliminated early. I think there will be some serious tension once we move closer to the final 6 and true personalities will surface. So far it has been a pretty friendly bunch with some excellent cross-team collaboration.

15 Dutch Courage { 08.29.11 at 2:55 pm }

RR, to keep all the men happy on this site, can the next poll be ‘Most shaggable female Renovator’??

16 smauge { 08.29.11 at 3:00 pm }

Who would you vote for Dutch?
Kelly, Ali and Kim all were on my bad books. Luckily they couldn’t stand the heat.

17 Dutch Courage { 08.29.11 at 3:21 pm }

Smauge, before I answer that I would like to check the rules with RR. Can we vote for a married Renovator??

18 brain dead dave { 08.29.11 at 3:25 pm }

I need a Renovator to house my bolt.

19 par3182 { 08.29.11 at 9:13 pm }

I prefer Jarrad’s enthusiasm to Michael’s down-to-earthiness (plus I just can’t get past his Sideshow Bob hair), but Keenan’s the most do-able. Having said that, Nathan is actually my favourite guy on the show.

I’m breaking my faves down by team –

Fibr0 – Jarrad
Terrace – Stoner Jason
60s Sub – Nathan
W’Board – Keenan
Shop – Natalia
Half – neither

20 The Renovators – No Surprise Which Team Won The Tradies | reality ravings { 08.29.11 at 9:49 pm }

[…] For the record I predicted this in last night’s blog post. […]

21 Fides { 08.29.11 at 10:29 pm }

Luke (???) – that would be the blond guy on sky blue team really gives me a Shane Warne vibe. That would be Warnie pre Liz Hurley, pre facial vacuum, but maybe after taking some of mum’s diuretics.

22 Reality Raver { 08.29.11 at 10:53 pm }

par3182 – agree Keenan is definitely the most shaggable.

Dutch Courage – Of course you can vote for a married renovator. It is all talk no action on this blog. Oh ok I will do that poll I do need to change my poll anyway. I reckon the most shaggable female is Natalia.

23 smauge { 08.30.11 at 7:53 am }