The Renovators – Do They Need To Change The Elimination Challenges?

With Bob being eliminated because of failing a designer chair timeline and a painting race it crossed my mind that maybe one of the weaknesses of The Renovators was the more talented renovators can be arbitrarily eliminated.

How unfair would it have been if Peter, who is one of the most talented renovators on the show had been eliminated on the above challenges? It was pretty hard to see another talent and hard working dude, Bob, leave the show.

Would I be whinging if Melissa had been eliminated tonight? No. But I am a hypocrite.

There needs to be a way of making sure the more talented people make it to the end, and the people who have put the most design and/or grunt work into the houses don’t end up leaving.

Tonight the orange and blue team were fighting it out in a two stage process. The first one was a team challenge and the team that lost had to then go head to head in the elimination challenge.

The first one was putting designer chairs in a timeline. The first few were fairly obvious, until the Christine Keeler chair. Bob and Peter botched it. and put it between the 1956 and 1968. Where Melissa and Keenan had picked it to be pre the eames chair.

It was then onto the painting a ceiling challenge which Peter won.

In his farewell speeches. Robyn Holt condescendingly said “you had style you just needed me to confirm it”. She then gave him the pretentious European two cheek kiss. Doesn’t Robyn know she sounds like a truck driver’s daughter who smokes a packet of cigarettes a day?

Anyway again another disappointing elimination. Nothing exciting occurred at the Sixties Suburban working bee, unless you define August in a muscle shirt.

1 Mama'sMilk { 09.01.11 at 10:23 pm }

Loved Jason standing around doing sketches all day; true genius. Hope he doesn’t get eliminated – he’s such a great antidote for all the “meh” contestants (Sam and Kathy I’m looking at you here)

Go Natalia. After her comment tonight about getting slightly fed up at being given all the “girl jobs”, she is my new favorite. It’s true – the working bees have wasted her talents on scraping windows and painting.

The Gruen Transfer tonight was talking about “as a busy mum” ads and saying how sick of them we all are … take the hint Melissa and Chrissy. We’re sick of the phrase in realty TV too.

(and yes, I’m aware of the irony given my nickname!)

2 Melly { 09.01.11 at 10:34 pm }

Upset that Bob left, but it was always going to be Pete as the last Orange contestant, and if anyone can finish a house on their own it’s that guy. I don’t know about the challenges, they have been all over the place, so maybe that’s something they should look at if they go ahead next year (HOPEFULLY)

Stoner Jason cracked me up tonight just standing in random places sketching and pondering. I just love him. I didn’t like some of the nasty comments that were being thrown Nathan’s way, I kind of wanted to jump in and defend him, but I guess that’s always going to happen in competition.

I don’t get why these people aren’t using Natalia more? She is so gifted and they make her clean windows? Really?

I dislike Robyn this week, she has been even more up herself than usual.

3 Susan { 09.01.11 at 10:34 pm }

Disappointed to see Bob go – Peter didnt seem too upset but maybe that was just more relief he got through …
Will be interesting to see who Peter chooses – or whatever happens – to join the Orange team.
Really could see Jason J’s brain ticking over that he would love to get dibs on the 60’s suburban if it became available………
A bit of game play will start happening now – bring it on!

4 Susan { 09.01.11 at 11:05 pm }

Totally agree with you Mamma in regards to the girls getting the shit jobs …. would make it all the more sweeter if Natslia was to get up and win heh!

5 Buzz { 09.02.11 at 1:07 am }

Team Natalia!

6 smauge { 09.02.11 at 7:51 am }

Orange and GREEN teams darlink…
I’m sorry to see Bob go coz I love ol’ Bob, but he did put the Orange team in the bottom two with his decision in the light challenge.
Pretty much every elimination is going to be hard coz there are so many likeable contestents on this show!

7 smauge { 09.02.11 at 7:54 am }

Of course Natalia COULD stand up and say “hey fellas! I want to do X job instead!”

8 Maz { 09.02.11 at 9:14 am }

It was always going to be someone from the Orange Team to go as they were the only team at ‘lock up’ stage.

The elimination process is what is quite off-putting about the show. You can work hard on your designated house but be eliminated for not knowing the year (as oppose to the decade) a chair belonged to. Actually, the two teams should have placed the chairs in the exact same order all night.

Yes, the eliminations have cleared some of the deadwood but would prefer that instead of one person take all the team keeps the profit from their house and splits it equally.

9 Jane { 09.02.11 at 10:19 am }

What a ridiculous challenge. It’s not Top Designer, where this sort of knowledge would be a given, it’s The Renovators. If I were Bob I’d be mightily pissed off that this was how I left the show.

I’d love to see where they live – I think it would be fantastic if they could have found an abandoned hotel and the first couple of challenges were to decorate your room in your own style, then redecorate the public areas (lobby, bar, restaurant, gardens) as teams!

10 AngelSN86 { 09.02.11 at 10:48 am }

It was a bummer to see Bob go, he was a nice guy. Interesting how the Orange team have gone from 4 to 1 in only a week and a half. Presumably they will do another challenge to give him an extra member, probably from the light blue team as they still have 4 people left. Its a bit skewed that 2 teams have gotten down to 1 person, yet there is still a team of 4 left. So hopefully they lose a member to the Orange team so its a bit balanced out again.

11 Fides { 09.02.11 at 11:50 am }

RR you are so right about Robyn’s gravelly voice and her diction. Call me voicist, but I think this style doyen should sound more June Dally Watkins than “trucker’s daughter” as you put it!

Jane, that would have been a great idea re decorating their rooms/using an old hotel. If this show is going to continue next year, the producers need all the good suggestions they can get.

12 Culinary Boner { 09.02.11 at 1:48 pm }

This elimination was ‘tache-ist. Tut, tut Ten.

Raver, I didn’t get the Christine Keeler reference straight away. Perhaps the producers should have tastefully attired Robyn to model that classic photo reference for all the ignorant youngsters and forgetful oldsters (me included) out there.

As an idea it would have at least moved the ratings. Though which way is debatable. I reckon they’d’ve spiked and then crashed harder than Wall Street did on 1 Dec 2008, as viewer curiousity gave way to horror. Still, this show needs something to make it more interesting than it currently is.

13 Wurstsemmel { 09.02.11 at 4:50 pm }

…..and looks like one too.

14 aneets { 09.02.11 at 7:34 pm }

I wish there were no eliminations and we simply watched them reno their house with the teams splitting their winnings.

15 seepi { 09.02.11 at 10:42 pm }

I think Robyn is fabulous.

And really they need to have the winner take all profits from all houses, as going by the Block, some of the hosues might not even make a profit.

16 HR { 09.07.11 at 11:48 pm }

Lol….I met someone who gets irked by Robyn too & after seeing some of the comments I am surprised that she doesnt bother me (Thank God for that, I have enough people who piss me off no end anyway)…infact I actually like her most of the time…I dont think she is really the snooty snob-y types that I thought she was going to be…although most of the time I disagree with some of her style statements & her pushing of her own style statements onto others

17 smauge { 09.08.11 at 7:25 am }

Robyn is far and away my fave judge.