Julia Gillard To Appear On Junior Masterchef As A Guest Judge

How acceptable has reality TV become when the Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Gillard is lining up to to be a guest judge on Junior Masterchef?

The Courier Mail reports Julia Gillard was on the set yesterday filming her appearance as guest judge on the show. She was a definite hit with the awestruck kids.

It has been a difficult week for the Prime Minister with leadership speculation, and the question has to be asked what will the producers of Masterchef do if is no longer PM at the time the episodes screens?

As a former political advisor I can see the pros and cons of her appearing on the show, something I will write about over the next day after I have fully thought about it. However at a time where the media is saying she lacks authority  will her going on the show help her regain it? However it also gives her an opportunity to connect with 1.5 million viewers on a different level. To see the “real” Julia.

In the past male prime ministers have used sport to ingratiate themselves with the populist, so why not use reality TV which is nearly as popular to bond with potential voters.

@michaelbyrnes also pointed out Bob Hawke appeared on A Country Practice and The Comedy Company. In fact I rang my A Country Practice guru (yes I have one) who said the episode had been on recently and Hawke made Wandin Valley a Nuclear Free Zone!

Pity Project Runway Australia wasn’t around when Paul Keating was PM the challenge could have been to make him a suit. Not sure Keating would have gone on a reality show, but hell he would rock it on Celebrity Apprentice.

Julia Gillard is not the first politician on the Masterchef franchise as Queensland Premier Anna Bligh appeared on Celebrity Masterchef. Anna Bligh a natural media performer came across quite well on the show. Her aim for going on the program was to promote Queensland produce.

What message will Julia Gillard try and get across?

Interestingly from the Reality TV Insights Survey and the findings from the effectiveness of product placement, my research partner Julie Houston from Nitty Gritty, suggested non-profit organisations and Governments should consider using this medium to get their message across and it appears we will continue to see more and more of this branding occur.

What do you think of Julia Gillard going on Junior Masterchef? What do you think the challenge should be? What other politicians would be suited to other reality TV shows. Personally I would like to see Tony Abott on Wipeout. Or the ten politicians from each side of politics with a couple of Greens thrown in on a tropical island for a show called Political Survivor.

1 brain dead dave { 09.03.11 at 2:28 pm }

Joe Hockey for The Biggest Loser.

The guy that just got caught with the credit card hookers for Dinner Date.

2 Fides { 09.03.11 at 3:12 pm }

I thought you were joking when I read this on twitter. I find JG really awkward when talking to kids. I hope she doesn’t adopt that patronising tone like when she did the national address about the carbon tax.

3 Susan { 09.03.11 at 3:19 pm }

Peter Garrett on Dancin with the Stars – would lurve to see that….

4 brain dead dave { 09.03.11 at 3:20 pm }

JG can teach the little blighters how to use knives.

5 brain dead dave { 09.03.11 at 3:25 pm }

The shoplifting Senator could be handy on The Renovators when there’s a trip to Bunning’s involved in a challenge.

6 Fides { 09.03.11 at 3:36 pm }

Susan – oh that would be so painful to watch!

Get the First Bloke on Renos and they can build him a shed.

7 littlepetal { 09.03.11 at 3:40 pm }

The episode was filmed on Aug 2. By the time it is shown on tele, she may not be the PM. Julia must be desperate to try to connect with the real people. Her people may think it is a great idea for her to be on Junior MC. Kids being kids will be excited to see the PM but we will not be fool by her. I don’t agree and Channel Ten should have say no. She can’t cook so how can she be a judge. Just because she is the PM doesn’t mean she can be a judge on a cooking show. Another Eamon Sullivan blunder. Bad choice Channel Ten. I think I will miss that episode when it is air.

8 Moonstruck { 09.03.11 at 5:11 pm }

A sign of things to come. Product/people placement on shows. While personal recorders may save our sanity allowing us to fast forward the ads, we will now have the products in the main part of the show.
It is a risky move as if she is still PM it will give people a other opportunity for criticism/ridicule. It would be interesting to know how well these appearance work in terms of helping the image of the person appearing.
However we shouldn’t forget Julia appeared on “are you smarter than a fifth(??) grader”
The question is what is she trying to sell?

9 Wurstsemmel { 09.03.11 at 6:59 pm }

I think it’s rudd-erly ridiculous.
Children and cooking….yep, familiar territory for Julia.

Loved the comment about the knives BBD.

10 Reality Raver { 09.03.11 at 8:52 pm }

BDD – on hockey and Loser, and Craig Thomson on Dinner Date, but his wife might mind. …

Fides – I wonder if she will make a decision.

Susan – Garrett would be a hoot.

Little Petal – I suspect Channel Ten would have approached her.

Moonstruck – I forgot about her appearing on “fifth grader”.

Wurstsemmel – great pun.

11 Maz { 09.05.11 at 9:45 am }

Gender politics. Would not see a male politician on JMC.

Julia may still be PM when this airs as
1) Federal Labor does not want their brand further tainted by the NSW disease
2)Disposed leaders more often than not quit politics and the ‘faceless-men’ don’t want an avoidable by-election

12 Culinary Boner { 09.05.11 at 9:51 am }

Despite the fundamental absurdity at the core of politics and reality tv, which both run parallel to reality reality, the two mix about as well as oil and water. They tried a reality tv show in the US called American Candidate, which I haven’t seen, but which sounds really, really lame – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Candidate. Though the focus group challenge does have an amusing ring to it. If we did a local version we could call that episode the Lindsay Test.

There was also a US reality show called Cathouse, which might be a more apt suggestion than bdd’s suggestion of Dinner Date for the member for Dobell. It’s second series title ‘Cathouse 2: Back in the Saddle’ does have a nice ring to it. Maybe we can get Raver to start a petition for Foxtel to put it on, though I’d not be surprised if SBS hasn’t already run it on that night when they run rivetting salacious fare with titles like ‘Secrets of the Clitoris’. Must be a night which clashes with my footy viewing. Sorry Mrs Boner.

In terms of current Aussie pollies and possible shows I nominate Senator Brandis for a reality borefest called ‘The Constitution’. He can lead a team of fellow frustrated parliamentary inmates who have also been QCs or SCs against a team of opinionated but hopelessly ignorant parliamentary ‘bush lawyers’ led by Barnarby Joyce. To ensure proceeding go at a snail’s pace Rob Oakeshott would be my choice of MC. The Ruddster would be my choice of ‘sideine expert’. Doug Cameron can drone for Labor. Every week they can debate a point of constitutional principle so arcane that it’ll make normal tv coverage of parliament look like Cirque du Soleil.

13 Mike { 09.27.11 at 2:33 pm }