Australia’s Next Top Model – A Size 8 Still Too Large?

Every year this issue comes up on Australia’s Next Top Model when one of the models is told they are too fat.

However this year it appears a girl who is size 8 has been deemed as being to large for the industry.

News.com.au reports Alex Perry tells 18 year old Alissandra Moone likens her to “overstuffed baggage”.

The article states:

Alissandra Moone, 18, who at 57kg is considered underweight on the Australian body mass index, was “stunned” when her size became an issue on Foxtel’s top-rating show.

Judge Alex Perry has openly criticised Moone’s body, likening it to “overstuffed luggage”, and the clash is set to reach a head on tonight’s episode.

“It’s a very bad message to be sending to young girls who watch the show,” Moone said yesterday.

“It’s harsh. It’s stupid. And it’s out of touch. I understand it’s a reality of the (modelling) industry but this is a TV show and they should have a responsibility to censor that kind of thing.

“I know this has happened to other girls in the past but I was shocked when he (Perry) said I was too fat.

“I’m only a size eight. There’s going to be a lot of young girls watching this who are bigger than me, and how’s this going to make them feel?”

Perry was unavailable for comment.

This story has probably been put out there to attract viewers to tonights episode on the show.

So if you want to watch it Australia’s Next Top Model (ANTM) is on Fox 8 tonight at 7.30pm.

UPDATE: Alex Perry has come out on twitter (no not in THAT way) and said he was misquoted. His quote was to do with her pose in photo shoot apparently.

1 Miss Piggy { 09.05.11 at 8:48 am }

Alex Perry is a bit of an…idiot. The way he pouts his botox lips on the show and struts about in too tight shirts. But, that’s not the point – what a silly comment for him to make!

2 akris { 09.05.11 at 8:52 am }

Sarah Murdoch is/was part of an National Advisory Group on Body Image, she should’ve said something

3 Wurstsemmel { 09.05.11 at 9:04 am }

Kind of contradicts his response earlier this week to Ajay Rochester.

I’ve heard many stories like this about him. Totally irresponsible and stupid.

For me, the response is simple. Don’t buy Alex Perry clothes.

4 Lolalee { 09.05.11 at 9:19 am }

Alex Perry’s comment is way out of line but sad reality is that skinny rules in modeling (same with being tall & young for that matter). Have yet to meet a man who would prefer cuddling a bag of bones to a normal curvy woman!

5 Crystal { 09.05.11 at 9:42 am }

I am baffled that we hold Alex Perry responsible for the mental wellbeing of overweight teens. If they have a self-esteem problem they probably shouldn’t be watching a reality program where the tallest, most thin and beautiful girl wins. It gets me so mad, all these politically correct people ruin EVERYTHING. I’d hate to see the hilariously bitchy and talented Alex Perry be made to censor his comments, because it’s one of the best parts about that show.

6 Culinary Boner { 09.05.11 at 9:58 am }

This bloke’s non-PC summation of the world of women’s fashion:-
too many (misogynistic) poofs.

7 Muru { 09.05.11 at 10:30 am }

Here we go again.

Each year the judges always can some of the contestants for being too fat or too short. That’s understandable since the modeling industry is usually anal about that kind of thing; HOWEVER, if ANTN thinks some of these girls are too fat or too short, why on earth put them on the show in the first place? You’d think the judges would have weeded all of this out during the audition process.

Am I the only one who fails to see the logic in that?

8 Wurstsemmel { 09.05.11 at 12:03 pm }

Crystal, size 8 does not represent an overweight teen and the issue isn’t really about that. It’s about normal sized or even skinny teens who will hear a comment like that and think they have weight issues when they don’t.

It’s not about political correctness or an overhaul of how the fashion industry works. Regardless, describing a size 8 as resembling ‘overstuffed luggage’ is plain ridiculous. From your comments. you’re lucky enough to not have faced these issues yourself and you obviously have little understanding of the mental health of adolescents. Believe me, as someone who works in this area, this kind of comment can be extremely damaging.

9 brain dead dave { 09.05.11 at 12:13 pm }

Jeez, if she’s “overstuffed luggage”, what would Alex Perry make of Julie Goodwin?

10 Jaime { 09.05.11 at 12:34 pm }

I can’t stand Alex Perry. He and Charlotte Dawson’s faces look like bloated assholes. All the “Fashion” and “Expensive” and Zoolander poses.Also, Isn’t wearing your sunnies on your head 24/7 a trashy bogan thing to do? They are D grade celebrity trash.

11 Reality Raver { 09.05.11 at 12:41 pm }

12 Culinary Boner { 09.05.11 at 1:44 pm }

I thought ‘overstuffed luggage’ was a technical term used in photo shoots for Larry Flint’s magazines

Just what are they getting up to on ANTM?

13 Crystal { 09.06.11 at 11:01 am }

Wurstsemmel, you make some great points and I totally understand what you’re saying. I definitely wasn’t saying a size 8 girl is overweight. It was more of a flippant comment (perhaps this was out of line on my behalf) that I am sick to death of people taking entertaining comments made on television, applying it to their own lives and experience (when it was not directed at them) and then insisting that the person who made those comments censor themselves.

Obviously self esteem is an important issue among teens and women watching the show, but to be honest I really wish that people could take those sorts of things with a grain of salt, have a laugh and get over it. If they can’t, they should stop watching the show, because when watching a show about this material – comments like that are going to be made.

And, bottom line, that girl didn’t fit into the coffin and was bulging out of it – resembling overstuffed luggage. I’m not going to take that comment and apply it to my size 12 arse, I’m gonna laugh at it and agree.

Jaime – your comment about Alex and Charlotte Dawson resembling bloated arseholes made me laugh so hard and I will from this moment forward laugh every time I see them imagining it. LOL!!

14 Wurstsemmel { 09.06.11 at 1:58 pm }

Yep, Crystal, have seen more of the context of the comment now – so, obviously a bit of a media beat up – or maybe, as RR suggests, a ruse to drum up some interest in ANTM. :)