The Renovators – Did Kathy Cheat?

The Renovators IS like Masterchef Australia, the producers appear to bend the rules at whim, and there is no consistency in enforcing them.

Tonight was a cracker because if the rules had been enforced Kathy would have been going home. Brendan in his pre-challenge locker room pep talk specifically said they were allowed the assistant of one person but only to lift things for them.

Kathy was seen to ask Nathan to drill two holes in a piece of wood and hang it from the ceiling. Now that to me is more than lifting. However no one said a thing.

Also Luke kind of hinted he went for Peter so he would be a good assistant, so I am sure there was some kind of non-verbal help going on.

Tonight the challenge was a panic room but this time it was not “Mr Hart what have you done?” but a clean room with a summer mural on the wall. They light blue team members had 60 minutes to give it a summer feel with the new Freedom Summer Range.

Now if you want to see the Freedom Summer Range, click on the banner at the top blog….

Jason J’s was criticised because the black furniture made it more like Winter, however they liked the continuation of the circles of the bird cages.

Sam’s courtyard was a great concept, but execution was a bit amateur hour. Robyn thought she nailed the colour palate. However Robyn said she was “unsure about the resolution of  what was outdoor or indoor or where we are. I just can’t follow the resolution we are in”.

What does resolution mean?

Kathy did a beach apartment dining space.

Peter Ho liked the eclectic quality that she had brought to the room.  He loved it. Robyn would have liked a much larger rug under the table. Were there larger rugs there?

Luke also used black furniture, however Robyn did not say anything about it feeling like Winter. However Robyn loved the dotted rug which was pretty cool. Robyn thought the room would have had a bit more harmony and a bit more scale.

In the end Kathy was the first to be safe. So clearly if you shizzle out a great room it is ok to cheat. Sam was eliminated. No crushing blow but I quite liked her no nonsense approach.

Do you think Kathy bent the rules by getting Nathan to make the swing?

1 sue { 09.06.11 at 11:32 pm }

sigh…I just wanted Kathy to be …GONESKIES. Damn :(

2 Izobel2 { 09.06.11 at 11:36 pm }

Once again the to camera pieces throughout the ep showed a teary eyed Sam.. She also spoke more than I’ve ever heard her! Very obvious to me. I didnt really think much about nathan drilling the holes but did notice Luke request peter… Loved luke’s rug. Didn’t really love any of the rooms tho.

3 Laura { 09.06.11 at 11:37 pm }

Ugly Christie stays to fight another day…

4 par3182 { 09.06.11 at 11:37 pm }

so much freedom furniture; if only i had a voucher…..

sam did get michael to lay a floor for her, which isn’t exactly “lifting” either

i wish they had to work out what the hell to do in the panic room themselves instead of brendon dramatically stopping the clock; would’ve been hard to judge but panic room results are subjective anyway

i’m glad the sky blue team voiced how dodgy their loss was yesterday

5 Reality Raver { 09.06.11 at 11:41 pm }

par3182 – Oh yes I forgot to mention that in my recap. It was like they were taken to the Glebe house for the before elimination challenge scene. All a bit of a set up scene.

6 Reality Raver { 09.06.11 at 11:43 pm }

Sue – taking away the swing thing, her room was styled the best.

Izobel2 – It was like Sam we hardly knew you…

Laura – You mean Kathy?

7 GHarris { 09.06.11 at 11:56 pm }

they all ha their helpers do abit more than lifting- Michael was laying the flOor, Nathan drilled the holes, Keenan was doing some of the decorating, and I think Peter helped out Luke with abit more than lifting. I was hoping Kathy would leave I think it’s stupid that sue went cause her room was the most summery, when they said Kathy was safe I thought for sure either Luke or Jason were leaving.

8 GHarris { 09.06.11 at 11:57 pm }

they all ha their helpers do abit more than lifting- Michael was laying the flOor, Nathan drilled the holes, Keenan was doing some of the decorating, and I think Peter helped out Luke with abit more than lifting. I was hoping Kathy would leave :(… I think it’s stupid that sue went cause her room was the most summery, when they said Kathy was safe I thought for sure either Luke or Jason were leaving.

9 Laura { 09.07.11 at 12:01 am }

RR – Sorry should have clarified. “Ugly Christie” my household’s nickname for Kathy! My bf thinks Christie is super hot and Kathy is the plain version of her. Mean, I know.

10 Daze { 09.07.11 at 7:13 am }

I agree, none of them got marked down for help being more than ‘just lifting’ which was strongly put out there – I liked Sue’s room the best in that it WAS the theme of the backdrop – loved the boys’ rooms but thought the black furniture as too heavy for the scene –
Its a bit of a higgildy piggildy show – are they renovating a house or styling white rooms and panic rooms? Duh.
I thought Kathy would have been picked up for that weird red chair which had nothing to do with the theme nor other red balances in the room……. I give up

11 sue { 09.07.11 at 7:44 am }

Daze- by Sue, do you really mean Sam??? I am getting confused by all the names being different!! :)

12 smauge { 09.07.11 at 7:56 am }

Don’t care who left as long as it wasn’t Stoner Jason. I want him to be the last man standing for the sky blues. Was glad it was blonde whatsherface because I know nothing about her at all.

13 Daze { 09.07.11 at 8:21 am }

Sue
Daze by name and sometimes early no-coffee, by nature – yes Im confused with the names, not long enough on the show then they are gone; yeah I meant Sam sorry

14 Daze { 09.07.11 at 8:51 am }

Just a question for everyone; is the shape of the hammer inside the R logo facing the wrong way

15 Maz { 09.07.11 at 8:57 am }

Due to the 7pm Project a couple of weeks ago and the teary -eyed Sam it was pretty obvious who was going.
Didn’t like Kathy’s room at all but she is the one who managed to cram more of the Freedom catalogue in than anyone else. Curious though, how does a swing ‘resolve’ a room?

The elimination process is too arbitrary. Its easy to pick who the judges dislike as they will excessively nitpick.

16 smauge { 09.07.11 at 9:02 am }

Don’t know Daze – is it a left handed or right handed hammer?

17 Fides { 09.07.11 at 9:10 am }

If only Sam had said her room/courtyard was eclectic, maybe that would have provided the resolution Robyn was seeking.

18 Marepoppin { 09.07.11 at 9:10 am }

Lol Smauge. I worked at Bunnings… Used to play that trick on the register kids. I hated kathys room, but then on not a fan of hers so coulda been bit biased

19 Dutch Courage { 09.07.11 at 10:04 am }

Personally I couldn’t follow the resolution in Jason’s room either. He was running like crazy to get the red bird cages but all the stuff he added after that made it a crappy room. I think he was lucky that Sam’s resolution was more questionable than his.
On that note, it looked like Robin found a (re)solution for her glasses, they looked straight for a change.
RR, good to see that you’re adopting a bit of product placement.

20 Culinary Boner { 09.07.11 at 12:07 pm }

Lifting is usually followed by either dropping or placing, so I see nothing wrong with Sam getting Michael to lift stuff and then place ’em into a pattern. Drilling on the other hand ain’t even remotely related to lifting. It would have been fitting that a concept as naff as a swing you can’t actually swing on sent Kathy home.
Maybe when they do a bordello challenge, just maybe, will the swing concept become a useful decor feature.

21 seepi { 09.07.11 at 12:34 pm }

the whole challenge was wierd – was the mural meant to be a mural on a wall, or a window, or a view, or what?

I would have done it as a skyscraper window view I think (in hindsight), but when they only had an hour, and panicking, I don’t know what I would have decided to do.

dodgy that Sam left, despite fulfilling the ‘summer’ brief best of all by a country mile.

Is freedom’s summer range full of red and black or something? Or are the blue team planning a red and black house and all have it on the brain?

I liked Luke’s rug and that was about it. Not a fan of Kathy or of her room last night. I dont’ think any of them were very inspiring, but I think the wierd mural wall threw everybody.

‘Esolved’ in an art sense – means something like brought together, finished, finalised, made into a solid or single concept.

22 par3182 { 09.07.11 at 12:47 pm }

was the mural meant to be a mural on a wall, or a window, or a view, or what?

you’ve just reminded me of my favourite bit – when luke pointed out it couldn’t be a view because the sand wasn’t at the bottom; i don’t think the judges had considered that at all

23 smauge { 09.07.11 at 1:28 pm }

He had to lift the drill – does that make it count as valid?

24 IMO { 09.07.11 at 6:42 pm }

Re the excessive nitpicking in judging rooms… Haven’t you noticed by now that the judges always give everyone at least one negative comment at the end in an attempt to add suspense and not make it blatantly obvious to the audience who is going to win. If the room is particularly good, the negative will often sound like nitpicking – a good example was Keenan’s courtyard – the negative comment was that the small pot plants between the stones had not been planted in soil – which, seriously? Lame.

It’s also easy to pick who’s going to be eliminated because the show spoilers itself just before the loser is revealed. An ad for The Renovators website is always shown at the end of the last ad break and included in the video section is a short clip of one of the contestants being hugged, and it’s always the same person that’s eliminated, as it’s taken from the footage of them saying goodbye to everyone. Bad editing.

25 Moo { 09.07.11 at 7:28 pm }

I didn’t get the chance to watch last night’s episode, but if Kathy really did that, she should have been eliminated on the spot just like Cleo in MasterChef Australia.

Nobody likes Kathy anyway. She bugs the crap out of me.