The Renovators – At This Stage I Presume Teams Stay As Is

Reports of The Renovators not returning for a second season continue to do the rounds, and in today’s Daily Telegraph they even reported the set being taken down.

Obviously they are waiting until the series is over before putting the nail in the coffin.

It is a pity as there are some great aspects to this show, but also some aspects that are unfair.

This is going to seem a strange example but tonights elimination episode was a prime example. The elimination challenge was between the orange team (Peter), the light blue team (Jason, Luke and Kathy), and the khaki team (Nathan and Suzanne). Is this unfair that the first part of the elimination challenge they get to stay in teams, theoretically meaning the smaller team is at a disadvantage.

Now obviously this did not happen tonight as Peter was safe first tonight, but that was because he is a design nut, for someone like Nathan he would have been in a mess from the beginning of the challenge. By doing it this way some teams have more intellectual, physical and creative capital.

I love it when Jason stuffed up on a light fitting he had at home said he was going to kick it when he got home. I don’t know why he was angry at the light it was him who had stuffed the year it was designed up.

It looks like the teams of one won’t be getting any new team members, as if they did they would have done it by now. However in fairness one team member should be moved from the light blue, and grey teams.

The second part of the challenge was a mosaic tiling challenge. Jason, Nathan, Luke, Kathy and Suzanne were slugging it out. Nathan finished first, and surprising Kathy who had never tiled before came in second. Suzanne finished last as she could not get her pattern right. She was in tears.

Part of that may have been because she was leaving Keenan, that is if the romance rumours are true.

Lydal a regular commenter on this blog has kindly posted the links of the houses which open for inspection this weekend.

If you are interested in seeing them, here there are the links:
Inner terrace:

The weatherboard:

Sixties suburban:

The Shop:

The Fibro Cottage:

The Half Done House:

The auctions are on a different night of the week at 8.00pm. They are apparently filming them live to air.

1 Calliegirl { 09.09.11 at 8:52 am }

Thanks for posting the links to the houses. Really enjoyed looking at them. The weatherboard doesn’t impress me at all – very bland. I think the two storey terrace looks the best.

2 AngelSN86 { 09.09.11 at 9:48 am }

I’m wondering whether the weatherboard house runs out of money. Some bits looked a bit unfinished. And the fridge is a small little bar fridge, not a big impressive stainless steel fridge like some of the others. And the living area next to the kitchen almost looked unfurnished from the pictures of the kitchen. But there were no pictures of it.

3 Maryann { 09.09.11 at 9:52 am }

I think the show is just finding its feet and that it would be shame if they canned it.

Love that Baz is 2nd most shaggable. Although I think he should be number one. He is giving the young ones a run for their money.

4 Fides { 09.09.11 at 10:28 am }

I don’t think it would be necessarily fair to take someone away from the grey team to even up the numbers. They have never been up for elimination, and only lost Fiona through her leaving. Light blues had their 6 week safety net waiting for approval. It is unfair how the teams are unbalanced, but I don’t see penalising a well functioning team as quite right either.

Anyway, RR are you planning on checking out some of the houses? I really want to but I work on those open for inspection days, and there’s not a single house close to me.

The weatherboard has the dodgy budget that Melissa drew up, so could well be they run out of money.

I asked this on the thread from yesterday – were they allowed to use architects? The terrace is described as architecturally designed (none of the other houses are) – is someone on their team an architect (I noticed last night that Jason J says he designs everything from furniture to indoor spaces) , or did they consult an architect in their initial design (can’t remember seeing that) or is the agent’s description stretching the truth a little?

5 lydal { 09.09.11 at 10:37 am }

I’m finding this show much more entertaining than The Block for a lot of reasons. One of them is how the houses are completely different between them so you don’t see twice the same when looking the pictures.
Imo Ali (the one who quitted at the beginning of the show) made a big mistake business oriented . I have no doubt that contestants like Peter, Michael, Keenan, Jason, Natalia (though we barely see her), August have raised their business profile by appearing on the show.
I may not like all the outcomes of the houses (i.e.: Peter’s bathroom is too busy for such a small place I think) but for sure I would hire any of them if it was the case/opportunity.

Btw, I was wondering how they are going to do the elimination challenge after “judgement day” now that they have two teams of one person. I mean… if just one team goes to elimination, Nathan and Peter are “virtually” safe? if they are the bottom ones, there’s no point of having an elimination challenge as they are only one.

RR, thanks for the mention.

6 Reality Raver { 09.09.11 at 11:04 am }

Fides – I might go check out the St Peters house. Only issue is how busy do you think it will be a the open inspections. So if I don’t go tomorrow might go another week.

If I lived in the Blacktown area I would check it out.

I don’t like the polished concrete in the Weatherboard house kitchen living area at all. In fact a lot of the houses have done it. I presume it is cheaper or is the new fad?

I think St Peters or Blacktown will win. Only issue with Blacktown is only one bathroom. Though Glebe might bring in some good money as well.

ANgel SN86 – Baz did query the green teams budget saying they had under valued a few things so maybe they did run out of money in the end.

Maryann – It is a shame I really like it. I am surprised Jason J only has scored five votes thought more women would find him sexy. Did Smauge flick him a vote?

Calligirl – thank Lydal she made it easy for me as she posted the links in a comment on another thread.

Lydal – I think a lot will get work after the show. Particularly Peter. Also Michael with what he wants to do. I really like Natalia’s style as well.

7 seepi { 09.09.11 at 11:05 am }

I like this show a lot, but some parts of it I still don’t understand – like who decides who will lead the mixed teams in the team challenge.

And I didn’t like how the shop team got yet another working bee, as they decided Cristy was the most effective in the pool challenge – questionable decision I thought. and really as if the shop needed their 3rd workign bee on that tiny place.

I didn’t like Peter’s overly Italian marble/busy/chandelier designs which were shown last night. He knows what he wants though.

8 Fides { 09.09.11 at 11:16 am }

RR – the half done house looks amazing – I would definitely have a look if I lived close enough and wasn’t working. I think maybe the open days will get busier as time goes on, so maybe tomorrow might be the quietest day? Don’t know why I think that, it’s not like I’ve ever spent my Saturdays looking at houses.

And I do have too much time on my hands, because now I’m looking at the finished houses and trying to work out who must hold the keys by the way it’s been styled. I think Peter holds onto the half done house, and either Jason or Luke have the terrace. The terrace just doesn’t look “eclectic” enough for it to be Kathy. Maybe Melissa has the weatherboard since it looks like it’s run out of money. Can’t work out shop or fibro cottage, though hoping it’s Natalia and Michael.

9 AngelSN86 { 09.09.11 at 3:28 pm }

Looks like some of the properties have loads of open for inspections planned, whereas others only have 1. So, they’re obviously not expecting the crowds like The Block. Seems unfair that some houses have 5-6 inspection times and others only have 1. And some had weekday times as well.
The weatherboard house might still be held by Keenan I think. The exterior and backyard looked fairly good so he may very well have sacrificed the lounge room to make sure the outside looked good. That seems like more of a Keenan decision to me. I couldn’t really tell about anyone else’s. I loved the Fibro cottage though. It looked great to me, very black and white though. I didn’t like the half-done house at all. It was too busy and the bathroom was too cluttered.

10 GHarris { 09.09.11 at 4:09 pm }

I’m disappointed about how the weatherboard turned out I wanted the green team to win. The point of the show is that they make it easier for bigger teams so that they all work hard so they don’t go up for elimination and make their team smaller… Im surprised Luke isn’t higher up in the poll :/ I think Keenan is way more shaggable than baz :) who voted for august?????

11 Dutch Courage { 09.09.11 at 5:06 pm }

After all the ‘How to’ classes and the good advice from Robyn and Peter I can’t believe that there is hardly any colour in the houses. Most of the walls (even the tiled ones) are white.
Other than the odd cushion and accessory it all looks pretty boring and cold. Maybe I don’t get the resolution….

12 Fides { 09.09.11 at 5:57 pm }

AngelSN86 – good point about the landscaping on the weatherboard making it more likely to be Keenan. I hope so. And really, if they were facing an elimination challenge, he could beat Melissa in anything.

13 Susan { 09.09.11 at 6:27 pm }

ooooh just noticed Big Bad Baz in the lead on your poll – cor blimey!

14 Moonstruck { 09.10.11 at 8:15 am }

I thought the same Dutch Courage. All white, hardly any colour. They looked cold and clinical. Even hotel rooms have more colour in the bedrooms.

15 Melly { 09.11.11 at 7:11 am }

Damn the weatherboard link won’t work for me, all the rest work fine though.

I think I like the 60’s suburban or the fibro cottage the best. They definitely made me go “wow!” and if I had the money I would be purchasing one of those.

16 robbo { 09.11.11 at 8:46 am }

Saw 4 houses at open yesterday. Heaps of notices prohibiting photos and security guards there. 1.5 hours open for each one instead of usual .5 hour.

Glebe Terrace. First class job. Great workmanship and fantastic galley kitchen. Don’t know who would buy though as no car space and absolutely no storage. Nowhere even for a couple with a minimal amount of clothes. Definitely no kids.

Weatherboard Parramatta. Disappointing. Looks like they ran out of money. Bar fridge in kitchen. Walk through wardrobe to bathroom. Concrete was good but paintwork was rough.

Sixties Suburban Castle Hill. Very disappointing. Concept was good but job was not finished and workmanship in places was poor. Painting was extremely rough. Landscaping not done at back and desk in study nook had rough finish. You could not write on it. Maybe ran out of time/money.

Fibro Cottage Blacktown. Wow. This house had wow. Full house of people.This a is a clear winner. Immaculate workmanship and the house is extremely well laid out and liveable. Landscaping done to perfection. Talking to agent and it seems Michael may have held on to keys. Agent contract with Ch10 prevents them from talking about expected price etc but the agent believes they have the winner especially as it was the cheapest house giving them a big advantage in percentage terms.

Only items I could find issue with were just one bathroom and two bare light bulbs in central passage.

Obvious clear advantage to houses being done by a carpenter rather than a concreter, demolition expert or stylist. Michael and Luke were standouts for workmanship.

Still to see Half-done and Shop as open scheduling mad it impossible to see all six in one day.

17 Fides { 09.11.11 at 10:40 am }

Wow Robbo – thanks for that! That’s really interesting. Did the Blacktown house feel “warm” or cosy or whatever?I don’t really like all the grey walls in that house and as others have mentioned, quite a few of the houses feel cold/sterile from the photos. Maybe it’s not as obvious when you are actually there.

I wouldn’t mind if it’s Michael or Jarrad with the keys to Blacktown. They both seem like decent guys.

18 Calliegirl { 09.11.11 at 11:41 am }

Thanks Robbo for giving us a ‘feel’ for the houses. Look forward to reading your blog on the remaining two.

19 lydal { 09.11.11 at 11:45 am }

Thanks for the recapping Robbo. It looks like the finishing houses are an exact reflection of the people who may have hold the keys at the end. Very interesting to see how the styles/skills of each one are clearly in each final house.

20 veronica { 09.15.11 at 10:28 am }

Mmm, love all house designs, hate that this show immediately became a show about top design not top renovator. Nowhere near enough time is spent on renovations (which are not painting, furnishing or nick-nacks, and showing people the correct way to renovate. Love all contestants except Jason ‘I do this for a living’. I swear he is such an ass with his constant show off attitude and inability to live up to his own hype. Somebody gag him, please, before he embarasses himself further.

21 veronica { 09.15.11 at 10:41 am }

Whoops, forgot to mention that this shows biggest failure is in not pointing out the dangers involved in self renovating. Such as load-bearing walls, proper mould removal… they do know the mould in the ceiling of the Qld home is only hidden not destroyed, don’t they? No warnings re asbestos, lead paint, tool safety, or even how to not hang ribbons long enough for the baby to choke herself with right next to a cot. Drrrrr. No classes on any of the tasks they are doing, such as hanging wallpaper correctly, or painting. Come on, this is supposed to be about renovating not interior design. Sad, because Baz seems to have a lot of knowledge he would love to share with viewers. Good luck to all contestants, may their lives be filled with fun, safe reno’s, and bright summer rooms (NOT black please… so unsummery)

22 Renocrazy { 09.15.11 at 10:58 am }

Sad there will not be a second series with different producers, as it was a good idea. I can see why it failed… so many challenge results are clearly not based on the quality of the work. Plastic tables that would fall apart if a cup of coffee was put on them, and only winning because it allowed the rug to be seen, not because of quality. Contestants asked to build lights out of totally unsuitable material… from the minute one team got to use beads we all knew who would win. Fair challenges would be if every team or contestant had exactly the same tools and materials, otherwise its not a contest its a shoe-in for the judges favourites. And how can a contest be fair if some teams have three members and others one? Sorry team reno but most viewers expect fairness and unbiased contests, otherwise it is a bad joke instead of a good show. If anything seeing how results are manipulated makes me wonder on the honesty of masterchef and the other shows. Do I want to watch any of them after seeing the unfairness rife in the renovators? Probably not.

23 Reality Raver { 09.15.11 at 1:29 pm }

Robbo thanks for telling us what the houses are like, much appreciated.

Veronica and renocrazy – I think you have both nailed some of the negative aspects of the show.