The Renovators – The Ivy Pool Bar Challenge

So Keenan must have got the memo to keep the glasses on, as the opening shot in the warehouse had him wearing them. Unfortunately they were the only time we sighted them all episode.

Last night The Renovators were split into the two teams to decorate the pool bar at The Ivy, which is pretty hip, hence I have never been there.

The pool bar was split in half and Team black which consisted of Peter, light blue and the khaki team had to do Roman Bathhouse theme. Team Gold consisting of the grey, green and navy blue team got to do Japanese Bathhouse.

Natalia was excited as she has lived in Japan for two years, however her team mate Christie took the lead on the challenge.

The gold team had the easier theme. It is hard to make Roman Bathhouse classy as most people have memories or lack of them of toga parties in their 20’s. However they thought they had an advantage because Peter was born in Rome.

Their problem was the huge chandelier Peter had picked up at Opera Australia to be the centre piece. There was nowhere to hang it. Also the columns the girls Suzanne and Kathy picked from Sydney Props were too light and would have been knocked over by the guests.

Which was the major issue of their design, sure it looked good, however it was impractical for a party. They had put pots and vases in the pool and you knew once pissed people were going to be around it would have been an OH&S nightmare.

Also the gold team, had managed to score a bridge to put over a section of the pool, and a gong to fit the Japanese theme. I suspect the gong would have become a major pain in the butt if party goers were able to get their hands on it. Also they had the parasols and cherry blossom it did indeed look spectacular.

However that beauty did not come without pain and there was some friction between the team members which settled down once they had a team meeting to sort out who was doing what.

There must have been some fear and loathing in the black team over the time it was taking to deal with the light issue, but we did not really get to see this tension. Jason J did look exasaperated at times.

Justin Hemmes was guest judge, and Kathy when he walked in looked like she was licking her lips. In the end he judged the Japanese Bathhouse to be the best, and he kept that as the theme of that nights party. I wondered how they managed to decorate the rest of the space in the theme in what would have been a small time frame. Also lucky for them they had the Japanese looking hostess on stand by to bang that gong.

Christie won the best performer in the team, and won a third working bee for the Marrickville shop. She looked chuffed, and even though she was a tad irritating in the episode she deserved it.

Peter, the light blue team, and the khaki team are up for elimination. The question is if Peter gets eliminated who gets the keys to the half done house?

1 Culinary Boner { 09.08.11 at 10:13 am }

Team Toga were bound to fail no matter what. I rest my case with the following:- http://www.ehow.com/how_2282603_throw-animal-house-toga-party.html ….
…now if only Justin was catering for a Mad Monday NRL shindig

Toga, Toga, Toga…

2 Brad { 09.08.11 at 10:15 am }

If Peter goes I hope they bring Lisa back. But it’ll probably just be a challenge amongst the remaining contestants for who gets a coveted set of keys.
Pretty sure Peter is safe tonight though, because I spotted him wearing Orange in the preview for the Queensland relief project on the 7pm project whereas other half-done house renovators, such as Lisa were wearing their normal gear (i.e – not orange)

3 Izobel2 { 09.08.11 at 10:49 am }

I thought the funniest part was that they all looked so sad not to be invited to the fancy shindig!

4 JJ { 09.08.11 at 10:53 am }

Did enjoy the exchange between Mel, Suzanne and Christie re the renovation men. Totally understood Suzannes point, but seeing Christie just not back down to her with a smile (as she would most likely do), was great tv.

Would like to see Natalia team up with Michael or Peter, I think they would make a pretty solid team all round.

5 Fides { 09.08.11 at 11:26 am }

I really thought the team which decked the place out in ivy would win. I mean, it makes sense.

I liked this episode – it had a MC offsite challenge vibe to this one. But I was distracted and spent too long worrying about groins (particularly Michael, Jarrad and Keenan’s ) in a purely medical way of course … carrying that heavy footbridge awkwardly up the stairs and rushing about would be enough to give anyone a hernia.

6 AngelSN86 { 09.08.11 at 12:28 pm }

I actually didn’t see Christie as the bad guy in that exchange about the drivers. The black team weren’t using their driver so the yellow team borrowed him and then they were ready to leave. The black team girls should’ve gotten their stuff faster, bought some boys with them or picked lighter stuff. Suzanne couldn’t really expect the yellow team to hang around for ages waiting for them.

7 lydal { 09.08.11 at 12:49 pm }
8 sue { 09.08.11 at 1:32 pm }

I also noted that Suzanne whinged about all their heavy columns etc when having the “discussion” about the truck loading, but when they got them to the Ivy, they were really light and hollow and not heavy enough to cope with the frame & chandelier-so to me, it looked like her whinge was a load of cr@p anyway!!! was glad gold team won, thought they would as soon as the wobbly pots in the pool were critiqued… :)

9 Fides { 09.08.11 at 1:53 pm }

Thanks for sharing lydal – all the finished houses look amazing. Shame I’m working at those times else I would go have a look. Go the fibro cottage – hopefully it’s still Michael who’s got the keys.

10 Susan { 09.08.11 at 2:30 pm }

Thanks Lydal – they all look fantastic!

11 Maryann { 09.08.11 at 3:06 pm }

I think the half done house looks the best and my least favourite is the terrrace. I am impressed with what the boys have achieved at Blacktown

12 JJ { 09.08.11 at 3:13 pm }

Im not hugely impressed with the Weatherboard which i thought would be my favourite – Seems a bit cold and not very homely especially the back living areas. the fact that there is not furniture in these areas makes it underwhelming.

Impressed by the Half Done House and Fibro the most

13 Jack O'Reilly { 09.08.11 at 4:00 pm }

Christie showed her true colors last night. Her behavior was very disappointing. I get that it is a competition, however a simple gesture of kindness couldn’t hurt. Also the fact that she was rewarded the star performer of the day kind of killed whatever respect I had left for her. I hope she gets eliminated next.

14 Fides { 09.08.11 at 4:04 pm }

Were the teams allowed to use architects? I notice the terrace is described as architecturally designed, but none of the others are.

15 GHarris { 09.08.11 at 4:05 pm }

I womder why there ended up not being any furniture in some of the rooms in the weatherboard? Christie’s really starting to annoy me cause she took the driver from the black team and then wouldn’t let them have him back when they were ready to load their truck.

16 Fides { 09.08.11 at 4:08 pm }

Maybe they ran out of money? Are they the team already over budget? The 60s suburban also looks like they had limited funds for furniture too.

17 Georgie { 09.08.11 at 7:48 pm }

Oops, sounds like Justin Hemmes has more problems than picking a winner for the pool challenge!