Big Brother Is Back But With A Twist

Good news for Big Brother fans the show will be back on our screens in 2012.

The Herald Sun is reporting that Channel Nine has brought the rights to the show, but it will be a “reborn” series.

The article says:
CONTROVERSIAL reality series Big Brother is set for a relaunch.

A 2012 version of the one-time ratings smash hit is destined for Channel Nine.

Rival Channel Ten sought to bid on the reborn series, titled Big Brother: Secrets, but it is understood Nine signed the deal today.

“I understand we are doing it,” a Nine source confirmed.

Nine is certain to produce the show on a smaller scale than in the past.

t is believed that Nine is also determined to let viewers know it won’t be the same old Big Brother, which slipped into ratings decline in its eighth and final season on Ten.

The new show will be marketed as Big Brother: Secrets … every housemate has a secret.”

There is no word yet on the host of the re-booted Big Brother. Gretel Killeen hosted the first seven series of the show on Ten. Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O hosted Ten’s final series before it was cancelled in 2008.

The secret thing is intriguing, but personally I always thought Big Brother was at its best when they just threw the contestants in there with a few bottles of tequila.

TV Tonight in an article written earlier this year which outlines how the “secrets” work in the French version of the show. He also points out there is social networking now which will make a difference to the show.

Basically Big Brother combined with Facebook and Twitter equals awesome.

Channel Nine are really laying down the reality TV gauntlet to the other channels in 2012. They have The Voice, Celebrity Apprentice and now Big Brother – Secrets.

Also who will be host? It will be hard to fill the shoes of Gretel Killeen, however there are a few girls and guys who could do it.

My suggestions would be Natalie Garonzi, James Kerley, Julie Zemarro or ever Ant and Beck’s from 106.5 FM. Who do you think should be host?

1 smauge { 09.09.11 at 9:54 pm }

Oh god.

2 Susan { 09.09.11 at 10:03 pm }

Wow – this is my total reality indulgence – can’t wait!
Not sure Julie Zemarro would lower her street cred to do this, although I think she would be fantastic – looking forward to seeing who they do choose – yippee!!!!

3 Roseanna { 09.09.11 at 10:09 pm }

Natalie Garonzi.
Only her really. I think it needs to be female. She needs to have had extensive live TV experience and needs to be able to hold her own in every situation.

There is no other female in that age group who fit the demographic, bring light and positivity and an interesting perspective. And Julia Zemiro would never do something like that I believe.

Interesting suggestion with James Kerley though. Or even Dylan Lewis. But I still feel a female is necessary.

4 Todd { 09.09.11 at 10:11 pm }

Yeah the Garonz would be awesome! Guessing the show will be on Go? It’s not really a comfortable fit with 9 is it? I’d actually love to see Chrissie Swan host it! (too bad she’s contracted to Ten)

5 brain dead dave { 09.09.11 at 10:22 pm }

“Reborn ?”

Here’s a secret. Those producers want a real turkey slapping.

6 SED { 09.09.11 at 10:23 pm }

I was literally shaking with excitement when hearing this news! I was thinking Natalie Garonzi when I first heard this news she would be ffaaaaaaaantastic! She was excellent live on 7TWO for XFactor.

RR Im not sure if you had time, but I was following BBUK Celebrity in UK on youtube which rebooted on channel 5 there. It was a thoroughly entertaining season, only 3 weeks long which means it didnt get tiring. And it was totally twitter/facebook inspired. The public constantly complained about the fact that BB got them drunk EVERY night just to see what they got up to. Poor contestants walked out of there last night on finale going, ‘did I really do that? Oh no – mum and dad saw that!’ It was totally hilarious!

7 Alex { 09.09.11 at 10:26 pm }

Nat Garonzi for sure! She’d be amazing! I can’t wait!

8 Reality Raver { 09.09.11 at 11:03 pm }

Smauge and BDD – you know you won’t be able to resist.

Susan – Julie Zemiro would be able to do that nice blend of taking the piss mixed with warmth.

Roseanna, SED and Alex She is doing a show called Up Late on Nine (well GO) with James Kerley and Shura Taft. This is filmed in front of a live audience, maybe they were testing them out.

Todd – Chrissie crossed my mind but I bet her contract with Ten is watertight.

9 Maya { 09.09.11 at 11:08 pm }

How about someone who recently released their own secret; Sarah Monahan.

10 Reality Raver { 09.09.11 at 11:21 pm }

Maya – not a bad suggestion. I like the twist of that. Do you think she would have the presence to carry off a live exit show. However they may not have the budget to to a live show like they used to on Channel Ten.

11 davsimp { 09.10.11 at 12:35 am }

crap, i will have to tune in if there’s nothing else on. Watched the first couple then got bored shitless with it. What’s the friggin twist then, it better be a good one. And whats with the Gretel Killen love, I thought she was friggin shocking. I voted for Paul Mcdermont in the poll.

12 smauge { 09.10.11 at 10:43 am }

RR – I’ve resisted before, I can resist again. Seriously, this idea sounds atrocious.

13 Moo { 09.10.11 at 1:20 pm }

Ugh. Why why why?

Absolutely terrible idea. Always hated Big Brother and the fact that Channel 9 is doing it… I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

14 Remued { 09.10.11 at 8:51 pm }

I am so excited by this.
The twitter feed promises to be hysterical.
More bogans than The Block and more scheming than in The Biggest Loser!

15 sue { 09.10.11 at 10:45 pm }

Smauge and Moo- totally agree. absolute SH!TE!!!!!

16 Wurstsemmel { 09.11.11 at 12:23 pm }

I’ll pass.

Wouldn’t mind James Tobin fronting up though.

17 Julia { 09.11.11 at 3:36 pm }

Sonia Kruger!

18 Dutch Courage { 09.12.11 at 2:07 pm }

There’s only one at Channel 9 who has the right personality and the qualities to present this….Shelley Craft! She seems OK in shows that are totally irrelevant and that try to make something out of absolutely nothing so she should definitely have a crack at Big Brother.

19 Culinary Boner { 09.13.11 at 12:29 pm }

The Mike Tyson of Reality Shows. Big, detestable and brutal but highly successful for a time. (Hell it even featured misuse of a penis. Isn’t turkey slapping foreplay, Iron Mike style?).
How I hate thee BB.

So I’m sorta glad that Channel 9 will be given a chance to totally fuck this show over once and for all.

Great idea Dutch Courage. Let’s get Tweety Bird (Shelley) as the compere. Scott Cam has to be there somehow. Guest cameos from the footy shows (AFL, NRL) please, oh please, thank you very muchly.

Eddie Maguire? Why not? And what about Catriona Rowntree? Some Ernie Dingo anyone? Bert and Pattie? KAK?

I’m salivating at the prospect of just how lame this will be.

20 Dutch Courage { 09.13.11 at 1:25 pm }

That’s spot on Boner, Channel 9: The Home of Lame.
Even Hamish and Andy are no fun since they joined Ch 9.

21 smauge { 09.14.11 at 7:08 am }

You forgot Darryl Somers.

22 Penny { 09.23.11 at 8:54 pm }

Not a huge BB fan, but must say if Nat Garonzi hosts then me and my friends will definitely tune in.. She is hysterical!