Toddler And Tiaras – Why I Don’t Blog On It

Regular readers might wonder why I never mention controversial reality show Toddler and Tiaras considering it is regularly in the news. For those that don’t know Toddlers and Tiaras it shows very young children, under five competing in beauty pageants.

The children are usually dressed up in over the top and inappropriate costumes with a pile of make up including false eyelashes. They also have to do a talent number as well some which could be deemed inappropriate.

I know people who watch the show say the way it is edited is to take the piss out the parents that are signing their kids up to this idiocy.  This may be the case, however I still feel being entertained in a “oh this is shocking” way by these toddlers is a form of exploitation by the television networks.

This week two scandals have emerged, first was a child dressed up as Dolly Parton including the big bosoms, and the most recent one where a parent dressed their kid up as a hooker from the movie Pretty Woman, and she strutted out onto the stage to Pretty Woman.

I mean seriously both examples just shows how abhorrant this show is. Of course because these two cases are so controversial it attracts international publicity to the show which the network must love.

The sexualisation of girls is a real issue, however I don’t buy it is all the media’s fault, parents do have a say over what kids wear and see until they are at least twelve, don’t they?

However Toddler and Tiaras gives parents a vehicle to promote themselves and their child. Also as any avid reality show viewer will know the more outrageous or controversial behaviour will get air time.

I won’t be linking to the YouTube clips of the above kids, however any moderately user of the internet will have stumbled over the clips on the news sites. Yes they have gone viral.

This is a great blog post by Pigtail Pals which outlines why the show should be cancelled.

What do you think of Toddlers and Tiaras? Am I being an over the top Miss Morality, considering I am not adverse to a bit of tabloid reporting myself…..

Related Posts

1 librarygirl { 09.09.11 at 3:15 pm }

Agree 100%. It’s not even funny, the whole concept is sad and sick and the parents are losers.

2 brain dead dave { 09.09.11 at 3:33 pm }

The “parents” are oxygen thieves. Agree.

3 Sonia { 09.09.11 at 3:40 pm }

Amen sister. Never watched it. Never will. Dolly Parton OMG and the judges said she was really cute. This is not reality

4 Heléna { 09.09.11 at 4:18 pm }

guilty! – I used to watch the show not sure if the next season has aired – but I fell in love with one of the little girls who would have the most awful tantrums – I just had to google her name Makenzie – she was hilarious! – I haven’t watch the most recent series, it’s hard to believe what these mothers will do

5 Culinary Boner { 09.09.11 at 4:35 pm }

Why aren’t campaigners like Hetty Johnson from Bravehearts taking on shows like this that actually foster child abuse and sexualisation rather than easy (and irrelevant) targets like Robert Crumb? Is it because most of the US moms appearing in this shite would say they are god-fearin’ Christians?

6 Wurstsemmel { 09.09.11 at 4:36 pm }

I wouldn’t even waste any space on this blog on it, RR.

7 lydal { 09.09.11 at 5:02 pm }

I would blame the parents not the producers…

8 brain dead dave { 09.09.11 at 5:20 pm }

Dolly Parton’s on record saying she modelled her own look on her town’s adult relaxation worker.

She was invited to Nashville by Chet Atkins at the age of eleven(ie before she’d “developed” ) for her talent at singing and songwriting.

9 sue { 09.09.11 at 7:40 pm }

I agree with you 100% RR- it is trash and should be banned!

10 davsimp { 09.10.11 at 12:59 am }

BDD: “I don’t want to see a 5yr old brat stuffed with chicken fillets butchering ” Jolene”. GOLD!

11 Gidgit { 08.21.12 at 11:38 am }

This show is repulisve, and the parents are just horrible. When people are adults they can choose to do what ever they wish, but these are very young little girls and their ‘mothers’ (I use that term losely) prostituting their daughters on stage and on TV just leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. There is no encouragement of education, reading, knowledge – it’s just flaunt your looks and act like mini whores all for your unsucessful (usually morbidly obese) sad sack loser mothers.

Good on you for not blogging on this. I’ll watch any crap and have a laugh – but when children are involved I draw a very big line.