Project Runway Final – And We Have A Winner

Twenty-one year old Dylan Cooper was the surprise winner of  Project Runway Australia Season Three. He won with his pastel and print collection.

Favourite to win Johnny Schembri came third. It must have been because of the perspex, I am not sure why he thought it was so fabulous. It made his beautiful cuts adn designs look cheap.

Craig Braybrook the evening wear designer came second must have been disappointed. However Kirrily Johnston in judging queried whether he was just a very good made to order designer. He looked devastated that he did not win. And I didn’t quite believe that “he was not disappointed at all”.

Both the young boys have a huge futures.

Do you think the right person won?

1 Jayne { 09.13.11 at 9:17 am }

I definitely think the wrong man won, and it was really disturbing to watch the judges give the prize away to an average contestant. I felt both Johnny and Craig had better runway collections on the day. Also, the big problem with Dylan’s designs is he can’t design for women – he doesn’t understand the female body i.e. hips and boobs. His outfits are very androgynous and would look good on a thin gay guy (such as Dylan himself), but make females look unattractive. I have lost respect for Megal Gale, Kirrilee Johnston and Alex Perry – clearly the competition was rigged and the judges dishonest or motivated purely by some political agenda.

2 Jayne { 09.13.11 at 9:43 am }

Let me refine my comment. Maybe the judges did what they were supposed to do. However, I think if the competition was judged on ability and craftsmanship alone – it should have gone to Craig. And if the competition was judged on creativity, originality and wearability (what women actually want to buy and wear), Johnny is the obvious choice. So not sure what basis Dylan won on, other than his age, but good luck to him anyway!

3 Moo { 09.13.11 at 1:51 pm }

I thought Craig’s collection definitely had more wow factor, and even though I really didn’t like his attitude or behaviour throughout the competition, he should have won.

I was somewhat surprised to see Dylan win. After all the criticisms the judges gave of their collections, I actually thought Dylan would be the first one to be eliminated. Having said that though, I wanted him to win all along, so I shouldn’t be complaining. Just surprised is all.

Johnny’s collection looked extremely cheap though. Where did that $10,000 budget go? Expensive dinners with his boyfriend maybe? Definitely didn’t look like $1,000 a dress…

4 Gillian Nalletamby { 09.13.11 at 3:31 pm }

I think Craig should have won and it was a major disappointment that other factors seem to play into the decision such as Dylan’s age. Craig’s collection was definitely a cut above the rest (pun intended)! However, on a positive note, I’m so glad they brought back the Project Runaway series and Megan Gale made a great host. I loved the wink that she gave to Craig!

5 Amy { 09.13.11 at 6:10 pm }

I think the thing with PR is that there are big differences in the level of experience the contestants have – most reality shows have rules stating contestants can’t have worked in the industry (such as not being able to have worked in a kitchen to go on Masterchef) which puts them on a more level footing. Craig had so much more experience than the other two, there must have been some kind of system to take that into account.

6 Block Fan { 09.14.11 at 10:22 am }

I can’t believe anyone would think Megan is a good host! She is is a shocker with no screen presence or charisma at all, just a tall wooden model to hang clothes on. I think Craig should have won but think age was against him. Johnny’s collection looked cheap. Dylan’s was OK but not flattering and the lovely prints he did didn’t translate as well as I though they might have. A pretty ho-hum season. Replace Megan, Alex loosen up that sprayed on shirt and don’t take yourself so seriously, get some lively contestants in for next season!

7 jeanie { 09.14.11 at 5:28 pm }

i thought craig should have won- his collection was just such a but above the other two in terms of workmanship and finish. I wanted johnny to win because throughout the competition he’s work has been so chic- dunno what went wrong with his final collection (although to be honest i think the perspex if styled correctly would have been FABULOUS) I think his original ideas were better before the judges came in and put their 2c worth.
i also liked megan, yes she’s a bit wooden but shes miles ahead of kristy hinz!
also def love the opening theme song. great season, so glad its back!

8 Aroma { 09.15.11 at 7:26 am }

Dylan’s was the worst collection. Come on, a lavender suit? What woman in their right mind would wear that? This is 2011, not the 80s . :)Without a doubt the most wearable, flattering, luxurious and well made collection was Craig’s.

9 Miss Piggy { 09.15.11 at 10:56 am }

I really liked Dylan’s collection – out of the three runways shows his has the clothes that I would love to wear. Craig’s work was STUNNING but very high end – he’s probably not “mass market” enough for PR, very made to order and I’d imagine he will get a lot of work from celebrity’s after the runway show. Wasn’t a fan of Johnny’s collection – looked a bit too cheap for me.