The Renovators – The Queensland Flood Special – And Baz Wept

The Renovators went to Queensland to fix up the Owen’s family busted and flooded home. The producers did a great job in finding someone who looked they they were really in need. I am presuming they were uninsured.

What happened in the episode:

• Baz wept as he described a similar experience that happened to his family. Thankfully the ‘most shaggable’ poll is down otherwise he would have attracted another 100 votes from chicks who like sensitive new age blokes. He can wield a hammer plus is in touch with his emotions. Actually Peter Ho was pretty handy with the paint brush but he did not cry.
  • A contestant has the opportunity to get back into the competition. I love it when this occurs, particularly if someone who was unlucky gets back in. Go Lisa. When are they going to decide who is back in?
  • “I cannot believe in this day and age in Australia there are people living like this” said Kathy, maybe she and The Renovators team might want to go check out some of the housing indigenous people are living in certain parts of this country. Melissa also gibbered on about third world conditions.
  • Peter did the bathroom, and thank you Channel 10 for the gratuitous shot of Keenan concreting in a singlet. Only criticism I have of the bathroom was the bath was too big for the space?
  • Jason J said someone has to take one for the team and  was digging out a concrete or wood thing from the garden. He was trying everything and finally Brendan came along and lifted it out with his little finger. Jason’s alpha male stocks dropped dramatically in that one scene.
  • Basically the episode was a feel good one with nothing exciting or contentious to report, but a shout out should go to the companies that did sponsor the episode with goods and services.

However who do you want back in the competition? I am pimping for Lisa, but would not be unhappy if Tina got another go or Bob.

1 Maryann { 09.12.11 at 10:28 am }

I would like Lisa, Bob or Tina to come back.

Who won the most shaggable contest?

2 Fides { 09.12.11 at 10:30 am }

I’m a sucker for feel good episodes and loved this one. I thought they did a great job not overdoing the schmaltz, but giving showing real heart. I bet the contestants wished they could just fix the entire street of ruined houses.

I’m with you RR – I think Baz would win most shaggable in a landslide after last night’s episode. Baz would definitely also win best hair – his hair is immaculate no matter what he is doing. I thought Brendan’s stocks soared too. And Keenan – he is Chesty Bonds and those singlet shots surely proved it.

Agree RR, I thought that bath looked enormous. Made the space between that and the drawers ridiculously narrow (not that you could really have had a narrower bath) . I thought when Janet was looking in the bathroom, she was thinking the same thing. You’d need to be standing in the bath to fully open the drawers. And was there even a shower?

I hope it’s Lisa, Peter ? (kitchen guy) or Tina who make it back in.

3 Reality Raver { 09.12.11 at 10:34 am }

Maryann – Baz took out poll by one vote I think from Keenan, and Michael was pretty close behind. The rest were all in their slipstream.

Fides – Chris was the kitchen guy. I keep on forgetting about him. He did some great work too. Yes Baz’s hair is quite impressive.

4 Maryann { 09.12.11 at 10:38 am }

Thanks, love Baz. A good espisode

5 Heléna { 09.12.11 at 10:50 am }

@fides there wa a shower – looks like they hadn’t put in a screen yet – I’m not even sure the screen would fit in the small space left – maybe it was being custom made

I was surprised how much I enjoyed seeing all the renovators toagther – well except for Suzanne ;p – I wonder how they will decide who gets in? – my fingers are crossed for Lisa!, although Tina, Bob, or Chris would be good too

I’m looking forward to this week’s renovators

6 Sonia { 09.12.11 at 11:24 am }

Yeh its going to be a great week making things for people instead of building and decorating fake rooms.Bought more than a few tears to my I. I miss domestic blitz

7 sheng { 09.12.11 at 12:33 pm }

I would love to see Tina or Lisa back in the comp

8 seepi { 09.12.11 at 12:43 pm }

Sweet show. But I hated the bathroom – we have a similar one – beige beige beige – so boring. And no way of jazzing up tiled walls with paintings or anything either.

Kathy is a bit annoying – not everyone lives with marble bathrooms and chrome fixtures. MY first house had a wreck of a 60s kitchen and I just lived with it.

I would like Lisa or Bob back. and not Kelly or the crying older lady.

9 Dutch Courage { 09.12.11 at 1:58 pm }

I don’t mind the ‘feel good’ show either but I rather see the guys doing something for the community (which I believe is happening tonight). Helping one couple is great but there must be many others (even in the same street) who are in a similar position. Never know how they pick the ones to help.
Melissa’s body language gave me the impression that she didn’t really want to be there. This was a legitimate opportunity for her to cry but I don’t think she did. I guess we’ll have to wait till the next elimination challenge now.
Go Lisa!!!

10 Picnic { 09.12.11 at 2:56 pm }

I would like to see Lisa or Tina as they are very stylish, but i also like the woman eliminated first or Chris the tiler. I cried last night and i liked that the judges got in and helped. I also liked that the house wasnt over the top renovated (like that show where lazy sods who hadnt finished their renovations got mega make overs, cant remember what it was called) and it wasnt too gushy. Agree the bathroom was a bit of a goof with that huge bathtub – bathroom design wasnt the best but it was a fantastic renovation. Looking forward to tonight

11 JStar { 09.12.11 at 3:05 pm }

Another vote for Lisa, although I am disappointed that she didn’t say “It was a dissaaahsta” when she saw the house. Probably keeping it sensitive. And she was a hoot questioning the “set-up” in getting her to do a flat pack bed with the same instructions that got her eliminated in the first place!

Some random thoughts. Stoner Jason seems very popular amongst the group. Tina made a bee line for him during the reunion and a lot of the eliminated contestants talk him up. He is hilarious. More so now that Brendan emasculated him on national television.

Fiona wasn’t back (probably due to health reasons) and Ali didn’t come back either (probably because she heard Kelly wanted to come back).

Who returns depends on the sort of challenge. Given that the majority of those eliminated were females (with them all voicing the unfair slant the elimination challenges gave towards tradesmen), I’m guessing a design challenge would be in the works. That pretty much leaves only Chris in the running for the guys. Speaking of which, how the hell did the Khaki team fail so miserably at the beginning when they had Chris, Nathan, and Tina in the team?

12 GHarris { 09.12.11 at 3:49 pm }

I loved when Keenan had to teach peter ho how to plant the plants :) highlights were definitely Keenan in a singlet and when Brendan pulled that thing out of the ground. August is always stuck on painting :/ it was good to see Jason again although I’m not sure I want him back :/ ugh Kelly… I REALLY don’t like him. Barry’s pretty cute XD

13 sue { 09.12.11 at 6:07 pm }

Great episode, had my daughter and I in tears. It made me realise how long ago this was probably filmed though because the floods were a while ago. Even if it has taken a few months for things to sort out with insurance or lack of it/and getting contracts etc, I think it still has to have been filmed a couple of months ago at least. Anyway, it was a great show, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I really hope the ratings improved over the last few weeks, because I really want to see the show back next season. I think it is way better than the Block, and I really hope it comes back.

As for who should come back in – we want Lisa!!! :)

14 par3182 { 09.12.11 at 9:29 pm }

Sounds like a schmaltz fest – glad I decided to take the week off until the comp starts up again.

I vote for nobody coming back. Gone should mean gone.

15 sue { 09.12.11 at 9:46 pm }

par3182-grump!!! :)

16 GHarris { 09.13.11 at 12:22 am }

awkward if someone who used to have the keys came back.. Do they go back on the same team? I agree about the bathroom they shoulve put a smaller cabinet in or just a shower cause no one really has baths :/

17 Jane { 09.13.11 at 1:57 pm }

My sister was at the filming of this episode because Habitat for Humanity had been approached to lend a hand. There was a whole other team of people there & nothing was said. We were really pissed off because we were hoping there’d be a shot of her behind ( her greatest fear!)

Habitat for Humanity are a great organization and for the program to totally ignore their contri union just sucks.

My sister said she snuck into the house & the kitchen was quite nice. Shedoesn’t watch the show so couldn’t give me any juicy gossip. From the sounds of it I don’t think the HFH guys had anything to do with the talent.

Cheers Jane