The Renovators – The Person They Brought Back Was A Strategic Move

Does Kathy from the light blue team ever get enthusiastic over anything? When told they would have to design a piece of street furniture to display on the Southbank in Brisbane she said “Oh wow” but looked like she had been told that she would have to clean up dog poop and turn it into an art deco object d’art.

Natalia on the other hand was over the top excited, as a welder she knew it was her challenge to lose.

Jason a furniture designer was taking a different tactic. “I’m sick of talking myself up” he said. He wanted the pressure to be on Natalia. He did say at  some point he wanted to win something. I would like to see more of Jason and his gibbering, as there appears to be a lot of inside jokes amongst the cast about him, but we are not seeing it.

The teams had five hours once they had designed the furniture item to have it made. The team that won got to pick a person to re-enter the competition  and the house they would join.

Keenan designed the green teams seat and it was aesthetically pleasing and also practical as it could seat a large number of people.

Nathan just did a pretty normal park bench type chair, and painted it red. However guest judge designer Alexander Lotersztain didn’t like the colour.  Nathan figured if the public were going to vote he wanted his seat to stand out.

Natalia’s chair was both artistic and practical. However my eyebrows did raise when she said ibises are iconic on Southbank. I must say I have never heard of iconic and ibises in the same sentence before. IT was a design of the ibis and frangapani.

Michael’s bench was rather interesting I am not sure how comfortable it would be. They did not get it fully finished as their bench was in the sand blasting room with the grey teams. Something Michael was not too happy about.

The light blue team had also done a bench with a tribute to the victims of the floods. Very clever but it did not help them win.

Peter’s table based on a bougainvillea was pretty but not very practical for the masses. It was very Alice in Wonderland.

Natalia’s team won by a landslide. They had twice the number of votes of the team that came second. Interestingly Fiona the fourth grey team member who left the show due to health issues  was not there so this meant there was no obvious person for them to bring back.

They picked Sam, formerly of the inner city terrace,  who is a hard worker but not a design talent. They put her on Peter’s team. The other members of the show looked slightly shocked by the grey team bring her back in. I think this indicates she is not seen as a tour de force, and tactically they brought back in someone innocuous who doesn’t have a chance in winning the show. So the grey team were being strategic.

Peter looked a bit non-plussed. He has nearly finished the house, and he would have preferred Lisa. Will she be an asset in challenges -probably not. He won’t be happy if he loses the key to her.

1 sue { 09.14.11 at 7:53 am }

I must admit I liked Natalia’s best, followed by Michael’s.

Bringing Sam back seems a weird and random thing- & to put her with Peter??? …yeah, and how undiplomatic/unhappy did he look??? so I guess it must be strategic, but I have to say I am missing the logic in it…

Also, August did not seem thrilled about their own decision, but Natalia seemed quite sure about it- odd choice all round :)

by the by, ibises are fast becoming a nuisance bird/animal at places like Southbank, as there are heaps of them now and they are not shy about coming in for food- they can be quite aggressive, but anyhooooooo

2 Ali { 09.14.11 at 8:42 am }

yes, Ibises are the rats of the bird world. not exactly a welcome addition to Southbank!! but I did like the ibis bench the best all the same.

3 Fi { 09.14.11 at 8:50 am }

I would call ibises a menace not an icon.
Tonight’s show will be interesting. The hall in darra is not far from me. The host needs to look at a map as he called it the ‘town of darra’. It is actually a suburb! I haven’t been for a look but apparently they only painted 3 sides of the house.
I’m interested to know why they went with darra. As far as flood damaged, there were many other suburbs worse off like goodna. I would have liked to see them fix up a local park as the majority of those are still out of action and it is hard to find a decent one not flood damaged.

4 Fides { 09.14.11 at 9:02 am }

It was funny how excited Sam looked. I guess she didn’t understand that she was chosen as the weakest link. But at the same time, she’s not a bossy, Type A personality, so they could have chosen a lot worse – if they’d picked Suzanne to go with Peter, I can see the sparks flying.

5 Culinary Boner { 09.14.11 at 9:22 am }

Peter would have obviously preferred a flock of Ibises shitting all over his reno

6 Maryann { 09.14.11 at 9:26 am }

I was surprised at the choice of Sam. I think the reason he was not thrilled is that Peter is a control freak who is happy working by himself. He would have been happy to have Lisa back as they clicked and understood each other.

7 Maz { 09.14.11 at 10:18 am }

Think the throwaway line of the night was Robyn questioning whether Peter’s design would be ‘sophisticated’ enough for Southbank. Are these chairs still at Southbank BTW?

8 Marepoppin { 09.14.11 at 10:49 am }

I was at south bank on Saturday and I didn’t see the ibis bench but then I wasn’t looking for it. I’ll definitely keep an eye out next time I go out there

9 Georgie { 09.14.11 at 11:00 am }

Culinary Boner – hahaha, I think the ibises (grey team) did their best to give him exactly that…
August looked sheepish like he thought everyone could see what they were up to.
Sam didn’t understand the significance of the move but Peter did and so did the judges.
Nathan looked disappointed that he didn’t get another pair of hands – like he thought they were doing Peter a favour.
Agree with RR, Sam won’t be an asset in challenges but I don’t think she’ll be a huge disadvantage to Peter either and probably won’t be around long anyway.

10 brandy { 09.14.11 at 12:10 pm }

god Peter’s a sook! how rude was his response – like they should have gifted him with Lisa as if he’s their favourite and should get what he wants?

11 seepi { 09.14.11 at 12:35 pm }

They could have given him Kelly – then he could justify the sour face.

Sam is a hard worker and harmless – I’m surprised they didn’t put her on their team – I guess there really isn’t much work to be done at this point.

Some of these people arae just coasting on their team mates – kathy and melissa I’m looking at you.

Kathy never seems to have many ideas of her own, and when she does they are obvious – like clean white walls.

I thnk Nathan really struggles with design, and was hoping to get anyone else to have some ideas – his park bench really was just a red park bench.

12 Georgie { 09.14.11 at 12:58 pm }

I agree seepi – Kelly is such a disruptive element he had the potential to do some harm if brought back. It would have been good TV at this stage of the game. Producers strategic move gone begging.

13 smauge { 09.14.11 at 8:36 pm }

I’m not sure how much Natalia knows about ibises (ibi?) because at the start of the show she was calling them egrets.
I was extremely jealous of Natalia when she was feeling up Michael in a big way outside the sandblasting room and I think I’m falling in love with Stoner Jason.

14 veronica { 09.14.11 at 11:31 pm }

> Peter should have been eliminated over downpipe leaking…such a liar, and a poor one at that. Actually picked Sam because she just might beat him if they come head to head in a real estate challenge, of which Peter knows zilch, and that was why he was unhappy. He’d have no reason to be unhappy unless he considers her a threat. The only person who could beat him in a design challenge is the artistic, brilliant, Natalia. Peter should think he’s lucky, he could have got Mr “i do that for a living’ Jason… God, he is such a wa**ker. As for when Sam was eliminated, do you guys really think Black is a summer colour! Yeah, right. They should all have lost for not knowing what summer colours are.are.

15 GHarris { 09.15.11 at 11:53 pm }

Smauge- I thought it was extremely weird when Natalia was like feeling up Michael you could tell he was like WTF? Jason seriously? He’s not very good looking theres lots of better guys like… KEENAN! Im really not a fan of jasons gotee :/
It was obvious the grey team was honing to win cause Natalia knew the area quite well but I did notice that the guest judge liked the green teams best. My favorite was the green teams too but it didn’t really look very … Elegant (?)… I’m not sure if that’s the right word but it didn’t really look as detailed cause that’s was people were looking for not practicality.
Sam is still like extra (wo)manpower so she won’t be like a step backwards and she’s pretty easygoing, they should’ve chosen dustphobic Kelly he would’ve caused so much tension and like he proved in the challenge where Ali left he actually makes progress go backwards, but, I guess the grey team didnt want to be too mean.
I thought this episode was kind of boring cause it didn’t really matter who won only the last like five minutes mattered because that’s when they chose who would be coming back.

16 smauge { 09.16.11 at 7:21 am }

Yeah, I know I’m Robinson Crusoe with the Stoner Jason love, but, hey, we all have different tastes! I don’t get why everyone is hot for Keenan. Just does not appeal to me AT ALL.
I disagree GHarris – I thought Michael thoroughly enjoyed his front massage from Natalia!

17 GHarris { 09.17.11 at 5:49 pm }

Smauge- I like him cause he doesn’t talk much so he doesn’t have time to say something annoying :) plus I think it’s cute how he dresses like a young person eg. Skinny jeans, messy hair. I also Like how he’s good at pretty much everything that the how requires but he never talks himself up. I like jasons personality I think he’s hilarious but he’s not much of a looker :/

18 smauge { 09.17.11 at 8:47 pm }

I’m one of those types that loves a personality. if you go back to posts earlier in the seires, I’m pretty sure somewhere in there I refer to Stoner Jason as “crazy eyes”. He’s grown on me. (Like warts, some might suggest)
Keenan is dull and not very good looking, worse with glasses. (sorry RR). Seriously – am I the only one on here who DOESN’T find him good looking?

19 Izobel2 { 09.18.11 at 3:58 pm }

Smauge-i like stoner jason’s voice!

20 Georgie { 09.18.11 at 4:59 pm }

Smauge & Izobel2 – I’m with you, Jason’s looks appeal to me. Keenan never looks like he’s enjoying himself cause his mouth is upside down.

21 smauge { 09.19.11 at 7:19 am }

Alleluia! I’m not alone! And yes, Stoner Jason’s voice is part of the appeal for me too.

22 Kate { 09.20.11 at 3:16 pm }

I wonder how much people will love the winning bench after catching their clothes/bags/scarves/anything loose on the jagged edges. It is a lovely bench, without a doubt the most stunning design but not practical. The green teams was the best bench for the job, it could have snaked along the whole river. I think the voters forgot it was meant to be a seat, not a sculpture.
Down in Sydney the Ibis is also considered a pest bird. Whoops Natalia, atleast they look good though :)