The Renovators – A Panic Room Suited The Orange Team

It was Peter’s challenge to lose tonight. The pressure test was a bathroom however the teams were only given a three hour time frame.

A couple of questions:

• Why does Robyn call Luke  Lukey?
  • Why would you put a rug in your bathroom?

The prize for winning was a $20,000 landscape package, something Nathan could have done with. However as usual he was having to do it all by himself, except he was allowed assistance from Keenan when he needed to carry something.

It means he can only do half as much. As he said his aim was just to get it completed.

Peter looked like he was being overly ambitious but in the end pulled it off and won the prize. No real suspense there at all.

1 Red { 09.20.11 at 10:25 pm }

Umm is it just me or did the show only run for approx. 25 mins today?
I really wanted Nate to win; his room looked fresh and I agree he could only do half as much.
I went and saw the house in Blacktown. The extension is awesome… Anyone else go?

2 Moonstruck { 09.21.11 at 12:44 am }

Agree. Who has a rug in the bathsoom? with the moisture it would go moldy. Totally unreal. Also the editing is unreal. No way could Peter have cleaned the tiles and done all that work in half an hour. And were the judges pointing the finger at Sam when they told Peter he should have checked the work? I thought she had done the painting which looked like the judges didnt like. Not they showed her doing any of the work. It looked like Peter did it all himself if you go by the editing.

3 par3182 { 09.21.11 at 1:19 am }

Didn’t Baz name Luke Lukey first?

The more Nathan battles on sick and alone, yet always in good humour, the more I want him to win this thing (sadly, I suspect he won’t).

Yesterday the Navy Blue team had a toilet in their bedroom; today the Sky Blue team left a toilet out of their bathroom. I’m beginning to think they don’t know how these things work….

4 AngelSN86 { 09.21.11 at 9:00 am }

This challenge felt like it was rigged just for Peter to win. He does bathrooms and lo and behold its a bathroom challenge. I don’t think he should’ve won though. The whole point of a panic room is to clean up the mess from the start, the walls of Peter and Sam’s room were still filthy. I actually didn’t mind Nathan’s bathroom and I thought he achieved a lot considering he was on his own, plus he was sick. He’s still not my favourite, but I would’ve preferred him to win over the Orange team. Poor Sam is getting totally steam-rolled by Peter. I would laugh if he was eliminated and she got the keys 😛 But judging by the real estate pictures, it doesn’t look like she does. Or its too late for her to do much to it.

5 Maryann { 09.21.11 at 9:14 am }

I liked Peter’s room the best. Orange really did an amazing amount of work in 3 hours. If Luke had scaled it back a bit then I think he had a chance of winning. Rugs really do not have a place in a real bathroom but these aren’t real it is all about style and concept. This is something that Nathan has not grasped or can’t achieve (the navy boys have realised this). His was a practical bathroom without the extra ‘bits’ that create the style Robyn expects.

6 Buzz { 09.21.11 at 11:56 am }

Mostly I am glad this show doesn’t try to milk conflict between contestants too much, but I must admit to a voyeuristic itch in this case! Why is Sam still the invisible woman? Except when poor work is pointed out? And what has caused Jason and luke’s rift? Is a mutiny brewing in the grey team? Does Keenan resent Melissa riding his coattails?
Aside from that, it’s time to wind it up guys, 2 weeks more is at least 1 week too long.
And I’m laying money on ch10 completely underestimating their audience intelligence by jamming the final ep in between 2 eps of jr masterchef.

7 Reality Raver { 09.21.11 at 12:21 pm }

Buzz – LOL about the jamming of the episodes.

Red – How many people turned up the inspection? was it crazy busy?

Moonstruck – I agree the tiles were dirty and then magically clean. I think the time frame is too short. Also the panic rooms where they have to spend time cleaning and de cluttering is a bit dumb. It doesn’t add to your skill set wiping off dirt. But then they have to make it different from a white room.

I would like a challenge where they have to leave the majority of the furniture in and then work around that.

Par3182 – agree I think Nathan has been doing it mega tough and there is no whining.

AngelSN86 – completely disagree it would be a travesty of justice if Sam got the keys to the house, she has done barely any of the work, and her styling is pretty average. Also has not really given us any memorable reality tv moments that entertained the viewer…

Maryann – his was the best designed but then it should have been.

8 Georgie { 09.21.11 at 12:26 pm }

What seemed totally inconsistent and unfair to me last night was the emphasis Brendan put on the conditions for Nathan’s helper – ‘with the heavy lifting and that’s all’.
Every other panic room challenge I’ve seen, the individuals were told they could get help with the ‘lifting and carrying’ and each time I saw the helper clearing the mess from the room while the indiviual ran off to start picking the items and mix the paint etc. The helpers also installed kitchen cupboards, painted, laid tiles – anything that needed doing.
Last night Nathan was the only individual and needed that sort of help to level the playing field but suddenly the rules were applied.

9 Melly { 09.21.11 at 1:25 pm }

Glad Orange won, they had the strongest concept and it still looked like a bathroom, Light Blue’s was just all over the place, they had too many things going on.

Nathan’s to me looked the most like a bathroom should, but, just missed that extra style that was needed, because these bathrooms aren’t about practicality they are about styling, which is why they had the rugs.

I felt sorry for Nathan and thought he should have had an extra helper for the whole challenge, like really I don’t think the other teams would have complained if he was allowed one freaking helper.

I would like to see more of the group dynamic, not so much that it takes away from the challenges and houses and what not but I think it’s missing that element. I too would like to know what is going on with the Grey and Orange teams in particular.

10 Daze { 09.21.11 at 3:37 pm }

had a bit of a geeza thru all the properties on realestate dotcom – grey team and green team – imo, least impressive and surprisingly light blue very very swish – nice to see them all done in finished mode for sale/auction –
Very tough challenges thru out series; no wonder there are high emotions and rifts

Really wonder if Peter got his bathroom done in 3 hours – tiling, building, plumbing, cleaning, painting, decorating etc – did Nathan get help – does all this get edited out?

11 Red { 09.21.11 at 8:39 pm }

@RR
Yeah there were security at the front and rear and about 3-4 real estate agents. There were signs everywhere as previously reported about no photos etc. Also a lot of signs about wiping shoes before entering. There was def. A lot more ppl than at normal open houses but it wasnt chaotic.
The paint work is a bit disappointing. There’s just these little things that are sooo easy to fix that hubby and I were a bit disappointed (i.e paint can marks on the decking!!!!)
There’s also cute touches like a photo of Michael (on his wedding day??? It was someone’s wedding…) in the bedroom. We loved that :)
Also the backyard is surprisingly small after the extension and pool were put in. Enough for kids to run around but not adults…

12 GHarris { 09.21.11 at 11:32 pm }

I noticed in the pictures of the backyard of the half-done house it doesn’t Look like Peter spent 20000 on landscaping cause he already had the plants there before this challenge, in fact it doesn’t look like he spent anything more on the back yard than before the challenge and it has a really small front yard so there couldnt really be 20000 spent on that… I would have liked to see Nathan win as his backyard will cost the most :/