The Renovators – Has It Turned Into The Block?

The Renovators appears to have morphed into The Block with specific rooms needing to be completed, the contestants moving into the houses, and no eliminations this week.

Hopefully the auction sales will go better then they did on The Block

But first what about Natalia’s breakdown at the end of the show after the inner city terrace had won the bedroom judgement.

She cried and said she had not won anything.  “We keep on trying we just don’t fricking make it and it does my head in.” Didn’t her team win the outdoor furniture challenge in Brisbane last week.

I was on Jason’s side when he retorted back saying you have not had to face any elimination challenges so that means you are are a winner. Christie looked pissed at him.

Totally agree with him, they are the only team with three left and I am surprised Nathan who is doing it solo did not turn around and slap her. However now they have to move into their houses he must be glad he is a team of one.

Natalia’s whine was misplaced, but unfortunately for them they do have the hardest property to renovate.

Also Natalia and Christie were having a bitch about August for going to a coffee shop three hours before the end of a challenge.

It is a pity we don’t see more interaction between the teams, as there must be tension. Again there was a query to Luke about how he was going to live with Jason. Seriously if Jason J is that painful let us see more of him.

The inner city terrace won the challenge, with Robyn gushing about how surprising that hit was designed by men. Doesn’t she watch all the design shows on TV, including The Block most of the judges and designers are men.

I also love the way Robyn Holt cut the navy blue team some slack about their decorating style saying it sat well with the demographic they were targeting. Maybe she swallowed the Deborah Hutton bible of that all Blacktown residents are bogans. Hmm the suburban snobbery is Sydney is alive and well.

It will be interesting to see what the houses go for. Peter was saying he was wanting his house to go for $950,000. Ok it is three bedrooms and two bathrooms but it is very near the Princes Highway. However it is close to the new Ikea being built  in Tempe.

In the anti-corporation ethos of the inner west ironically all anyone is talking about is the new Ikea opening, in a positive way. Issues discussed are if you can walk there, the swedish meatballs, the ball room and not having to go out to the mosh pit that is Rhodes.

The top three go into a reward challenge tonight, they were inner city terrace, half done house with Peter not at all thrilled that he is lumped with Sam, and Nathan from the sixties suburban.

Were you on team Natalia or team Jason?

1 brandy { 09.20.11 at 10:02 am }

Let’s see – they’ve won three working bees and the recent outdoor furniture challenge in brisbane – but they’ve never won anything??? they are the only team with three members, and would have had four if Fiona hadn’t needed to leave, and have never had to face up to losing an elimination… so doing it hard.

And that room was rank. and I thought it was very off sawing off bits of trees that weren’t in their yard to decorate it. but apart from all that – sore losers. How rude to not swallow your disappointment and try to be glad for the others. Good on Jason for speaking up,t hat was disgraceful.

2 sue { 09.20.11 at 10:08 am }

I thought Natalia’s crying was unwarranted and a bit silly- a pity as I have liked her up til now.

my thoughts- interesting when the light blue team won, Luke was all about how great it was that he had won for his efforts, seemed to be ingoring/excluding any efforts by jason???

was putting nathan in the top 3 teams for the brm a sympathy vote??? becoz there was no way his room was 1 of the 3 top ones- IMO. I thought navy blue had a better chance than him!! I agree it is hard for him as a team of 1, but still- seriously… his room was one of the best???????????????

3 Fides { 09.20.11 at 10:19 am }

Totally agree Sue – I thought Nathan’s was a sympathy vote. Surely Keenan and Melissa’s room was better than his.

In terms of “not winning anything” – there’s quite a few teams who have never won actual prizes (I’m not including working bees). I can’t remember all the prizes but I know Peter won the LG prize, Navy Blues have scooped up 3 (bathroom, pool and furniture). Can’t remember who has won the “tradie” prizes. Perhaps it is the stress of running out of money and feeling like they have no control about the situation, especially as August seems to be quite the despot and Christie and Natalia are just the workers. No prizes for guessing who’ll get to sleep in the finished room in that house…

4 Calliegirl { 09.20.11 at 10:23 am }

I’m with Jason on this one – what a sooky la la Natalia was. Was surprised that the contestants on the grey team used photos of their daughters in the finished design. Surely they won’t leave the photos there and if not what was the point of it?

5 wallah { 09.20.11 at 10:32 am }

Suburban snobbery hahahaha, remember the Mean Fiddler challenge on Masterchef, aka “Let’s focus on everyone in a V8 shirt ordering a well done steak”?

6 Danielle { 09.20.11 at 10:36 am }

I was definitely team Jason. Natalia’s outburst was completely unnecessary and selfish, especially in front of the judges and other contestants. I too was suprised that Nathan hadn’t slapped her. That sort of display should be left for your fellow teammates. Not to garner sympathy from the judges for future challenges.

And for all of Chrissy’s baby talk & cutsie pie flirting – she showed her true colours last night with the various expressions on her face. As though Jason was talking rubbish. She comes across to me very childish and selfish and perhaps August had to take himself off for a coffee for a break from her. I’m not a fan of hers at all and look forward to someone wiping the smile off her face sometime soon.

The Navy Blue team are my faves and am always delighted when they win.

7 Maryann { 09.20.11 at 10:42 am }

I was suprrised at Natalia. But I don’t think it was poor sportmanship rather a result of the stress of the show, being away from her family and the tension with August.

I prefered Peter’s room to Luke’s. I like the idea of a walk in robe but I think clothes will get dusty. Also I did not like the exposed bit as you walked into the robe. While Peter is finding it difficult to have another team member to consuslt I also think Sam was less than gracious about Peter. She does not trust him. I have feeling that the design and layout that Pete is working on is based on what he worked out with Lisa before she was eliminated.

8 Fides { 09.20.11 at 10:59 am }

Oh and I bet Peter wanted to slap Natalia too – has she forgotten that they won and delivered him the gift of Sam? Sam annoys me as well – I don’t love Pete, but I do hope he hangs onto those keys.

9 Lyn { 09.20.11 at 11:05 am }

I get where Natalia was going and she just worded it badly. I think she meant they haven’t won anything related to their work on the house and I think that would get demoralising after a while. From memory all the wins have come from Natalia’s designs such as the bench and group challenges which are a bit of a joke who wins the working bee. Personally I liked the rooms who didn’t win, the terrace and Peters looked like hotel rooms and who lives like that where do you put your own stuff.

10 Daze { 09.20.11 at 11:09 am }

I think there are a lot of outbursts – they just get edited out; Natalia is a natural and puts her soul into her work; hard with headstrong August – I feel they have to cave into him alot – I think the outburst was based on exhaustion long hours and missing her family – momentarily she did forget they won working bees –

Thought ‘Luke’s Room’ was very romantic – does anyone know where he got the mirror side table from – he said furniture from his mate on the Gold Coast? Thought they had to get everything from Freedom

Lots of friction with Pete and Sam – and tend to agree that Nathan winning was a sympathy vote and agree with annoying Christie and her fluttering of eyelashes and cutsiness, oh please!

Still – Ive REALLY enjoyed this show and am sorry it wont return. Cant stand Cam hence didnt watch the block

11 Melly { 09.20.11 at 11:30 am }

I thought Natalia’s outburst was childish, sure they may not have won things to do with the house as such, but shit they have won 3 working bees I am sure some of the teams would prefer that over some of the other prizes.

What about Nathan? When he would talk about he has never won an off sight challenge he would laugh and joke about it not make others feel bad because they did better than him. Pissed me off. The grey team are starting to prove themselves as incredibly selfish and thinking they are better than the other teams. Good on Jason for speaking up.

That’s my rant on that.

Good on Light Blue, I thought the room was maybe a little cluttered, but nice colour and I surprisingly enjoyed Pete’s room (apart from the lights), Nathan’s room was definitely a sympathy vote, I think Green should have been in the top 3.

Can’t wait to see the bathrooms next week!

12 Maryann { 09.20.11 at 11:40 am }

Do we know or certain if the show will be returning. In the Molks interview Baz said it woudl returnin 2012.

13 Maz { 09.20.11 at 11:51 am }

The Green’s room was ruined by the cupboard. It was so out of place. Not to mention the inflatable mattress.

As for the half done house-those lights would have to go. We actually feel sorry for Sam. Is every room going to have a homage to Lisa?

As Brandy observed the shop bedroom was rank. The window looked oddly out of place. As for lopping trees…I would be annoyed if someone chopped my tree.

14 Marepoppin { 09.20.11 at 11:53 am }

I think that when Robyn was going on about two guys creating that room, she was leaving out the word ‘straight’…

15 Reality Raver { 09.20.11 at 12:52 pm }

Brandy – I forgot about the working bees they had won, they had won heaps of things.

Sue – I was kind of fine with Nathan being put in the top three, the guy is doing it tough. Hypocrisy I know. I did not think the green room was at all styled.

Marepoppin – LOL you could be right, can only gay guys style?

Maryann – The official word at the Channel Ten launch was that it is. But rumours are the set has been pulled down, and they are just waiting for end of this series to kill it off.

I think it would be a pity as I think with some refinement and better timing of its release it has got hit written all over it.

Last year everyone was trying to put the knife into The X Factor (ok ratings were not as bad) but this year it is hittingall competitors out of the ball park.

16 kingfisher { 09.20.11 at 1:10 pm }

i have notice that natalia is a bit conniving she can’t wait to get the keys of august her and that little cutie’s pie “oh i’m so cute just like a little wittle girl” she also wants the keys. last night prove it for me when natalia blurted it out ” why didn’t we win boo hoo ” and everybody got in line just like a scene from flying high ready to slap her !!! she show her true colours last night . GO DARK BLUE TEAM ,boy they crack me up .

17 AngelSN86 { 09.20.11 at 1:39 pm }

Yeah I was really disappointed with Natalia’s outburst last night. They have won more working bees than anyone, from my memory plus they have never had to face elimination and they have the biggest team. They would probably still have 4 if Fiona hadn’t quit. So I was on Team Jason for that one. I don’t like anyone in the grey team, they’re all irritating. I cannot stand Peter’s house or his taste, its hideous. Go the Navy Blue boys!! :)

18 Holly { 09.20.11 at 2:51 pm }

I am defiantly on Jason’s team there, the grey team are very stuck up and think they are the best and yes their ‘house’ is the worst one but if they are so good at what they do then shouldn’t they always be winning.

Jason had every right to speak his mind and I just wish more people spoke up too. The grey team has rubbed me up the wrong way from the get go….can you tell!!

19 Renocrazy { 09.20.11 at 3:28 pm }

Well, Jason put Natalia right and good on him. Luke hogged the glory but maybe he this was totally his design after Jason’s last few stuff-ups. Pete is lost, good job Sam got him to counterbalance chair with clock and other bits of colour else it would have looked out of place. Pity she couldn’t get him to change the lights, they were awful, also pity he, with his constant ‘I’ didn’t acknowledge she was working as hard as him and using ‘we’. There’s obviously (and understandably) serious personality clashes going on backstage in grey and light blue team though am wondering why August isn’t getting credit for the bed. It was Nat’s idea but it was August who designed it, as for orange I think Sam started off wanting to work with Peter but his ‘i don’t want you or anyone’ attitude quickly soured her, as it would anyone. T me Nathan’s workmanship in this instance was better than the navy team, the rough finish on window and paintwork was pretty substandard for Michael and Jarrad. Nathan’s room was also not black and white…OMG I am so sick of the black and white theme emerging…it is so old hat.

20 Renocrazy { 09.20.11 at 3:30 pm }

Has anyone noticed Renovators isn’t on Sunday or Monday, that Junior Masterchef is on? I thought it had four weeks to go? Don’t tell me they are stopping it before the end.

21 missmayqueen { 09.20.11 at 4:47 pm }

I agree that most of the warehouse challenges are a waste of time. What is the point of decorating a room week after week for it to be pulled down each time? If we were watching the contestants do this at their reno properties or in real peoples’ houses we might be more engaged with the process.
Plus, and this is a huge issue for me, we have now seen the full, boring, range of furniture from Freedom so much that it has lost any fresh appeal and all rooms are starting to look the same. Not much room to move there, seeing they have tied themselves so closely to this sponsor. How many more times can the judges run their hands over a styled room and pretend they haven’t seen it all before? Black and white and neutral boringness.

22 seepi { 09.20.11 at 4:48 pm }

I am over black and white and also beige and white and grey.

I liked Nathan’s room – I could live in it and I liked the green touches.

‘Lukey’ and Jason’s room looked good, but not like a real room – more like a movie set.

Peter’s room looked better than I expected – loved the chair, but the lights were a bit extreme – and the mirror obsession.

I hated the green room – frilly and flouncy and chandeliered and booooring as batshit.

I didn’t like the shop either – the painting of August’s that they based the colours around was uglyish for mine. I didn’t like his life drawing either – all I could look at was the squashed head shape.

The blacktown room was super boring. I liked their chairs, but they just blended in too much and the bed linen was far too plain. Their cheap ideas like the fabric canvasses were good ideas, but too matchy matchy – same fabric in a different colour would have worked better. It would have been a nice room with some gorgeous linen and touches of colour. and somehow making a feature of that bulkhead thing – not sure how…maybe shallow display shelves.

23 Roo { 09.20.11 at 5:57 pm }

Team Jason today.

24 smauge { 09.20.11 at 8:08 pm }

Watching the ep now – LOVED Stoner Jason and Luke’s room. Nathen’s looked like a Freedom catalogue. He has no personal style or creativity. But he does deserve brownie points for being a one man (sick) band.
I wish Natalia hadn’t have had a sook. I like her so much. But decorating is such a personal expression. In her defense she was asked by Robyn. Jason got quite emotional too. He sounded close to tears. I think if she’d seen their room she might have agreed with the decision.

25 Mama'sMilk { 09.20.11 at 9:32 pm }

OMG I can’t believe no-one has mentioned Christie showing off her builder’s crack! She is such a bogan chick…

Loved watching this episodes while checking out the realestate website photos; shows what changes they’ve made since the judgement.

Funnily enough, I liked Nathan’s room the best, probably because I like green and unfussy stuff so all the mirrored glitz in the other rooms leave me cold. I agree that it looked a bit like a catalogue but I think if I was a buyer, I could imagine putting my own stamp on that whereas the others are so polarising depending on your taste.

I hated the green team’s room the most. So frumpy and un-ironed too. Just really unimaginative.

I think Natalia was just stressed but she deserved the slap -down. Does anyone else get slightly annoyed at how wooden Brendon sounds all the time? He just doesn’t seem to be a natural presenter…

26 No More Mono Chrome { 09.20.11 at 10:55 pm }

Seepi, you are spot on.

Black, white & grey is certainly playing it safe.

27 smauge { 09.21.11 at 7:19 am }

After watching Dicko host Can of Worms, Brendan seems like a Shakespearean actor.

28 Red { 09.21.11 at 6:13 pm }

@25Mama’sMilk
I can’t believe no one else mentioned it either!!! She’s really gross and so annoying with the cutie act.

I think Natalia is nuts(although I normally like her). They always win challenges like everyone’s mentioned. They had the most working bees.
I’m def team J on this.

And yes the only time Brendan wasn’t too stiff was when they surprised him with a visit from his dad. That day he was flustered instead.

29 Red { 09.21.11 at 6:22 pm }

Btw is it just me or did Brendan used to say plahhnts and now he says plants…