The Renovators – The Grey Team Is Imploding

Well the show wasn’t about renovating tonight as we were shown the grey team fracturing on our TV screens. It made interesting viewing.

First Christie sniped about August “I just have to put up living with him” and then she dissed Natalia saying “she used to get all the credit for the design challenges” and that was just the start.

The Renovators went all Guggenheim on the first challenge where the contestants had to turn a piece of furniture into art. The judges had an example of what they wanted which was a table with fake grass with a rabbits head stuck in the middle. It was rather ugly. Where is PETA when you need them.

Michael was bemused and said, “It is not my idea of art”.

Quite frankly I thought most of the teams razzled out a better piece then the example they were shown.

The winning team would get a 30 minute head start in the next challenge.

The only drama was when Jason set the pot plant shrine alight the light blue team looked out of the depth in this challenge.
The green team’s was amazing and was a montage to their difficult times they had recently had in the competition, however the grey team won with a nice feminine floral design.

August then bagged Natalia after the win “It is easier just working with two heads”. Camera then pans to Natalia who had tears in her eyes.

The next challenge was back in the warehouse where they had to bring a Coco Chanel room into the 21st century. Michael who had not heard of Coco must have been thinking his definition of renovating is very different to the producers.

Again the highlight of the challenge was the tension building between Christie and August.

Even though they had a 30 minute advantage they lost that when August decided to do a three dimensional design with gold studs.

Christie was right it was a time waster, and in the end after spending an hour on it August realised he would not have the time to complete it.
Because Augusts’ stud obsession Christie was wallpapering by herself it was not a good job. We never saw if August apologised to Christie about his unachievable design vision.
Robyn Holt did note at judgement time the studs would have made the room pop.
August with his arm around Christie said how great he and Christie worked together, I think she was about to puke.

In the previews for Monday night’s episode we get to see Christie’s resentment increase.

She bitches, “There is only one person doing the work here,” and by him picking Natalia to leave “means he does not rate me.”

For the record the khaki team made up of Natalia and Nathan won the white room challenge.

The Renovators is really getting the mix right with the drama versus the “renovating”. Are you on team August or team Christie or neither?

1 rbat { 09.26.11 at 8:36 am }

Neither, I dislike both of them. Natalia should count herself lucky she got away from them. They will self destruct soon judging by the way the commentary is going.

2 Calliegirl { 09.26.11 at 8:47 am }

I’m with Team Christie. Even though she has her faults, she is still not as selfish and self-centered as August!

3 smauge { 09.26.11 at 9:34 am }

August is playing the game. It is a game right? Someone will be left holding the keys and he wants it to be him. But really it’s asking us to pick the lesser of two evils. I’m on team Natalia LOL!

4 Maz { 09.26.11 at 9:35 am }

Thought Green Team were quite disrespectable towards the books.

Natalia is not coming across well in the edits either. Its turning a bit MC with all the crying. Just put everyone out their misery C10 and turn it into Big Brother as it is fairly obvious that there is A-Grade TV reality conflict waiting to be exploited.

5 Maryann { 09.26.11 at 9:37 am }

I am not fan of either August or Christie. But at least August is honest, he is playing the game. Christie annoys me with her crying to get attention and ‘poor me’ atttitude. I think Natalia has a good chance of taking the keys from Nathan. It will be interesting to see which team is up for the elimination challenge first. I think it would be strategic to pick either the sky blue or navy blue teams as both are fairly strong, especially in construction.

6 robbo { 09.26.11 at 9:40 am }

Well for me this show has totally lost the plot. WTF was that art challenge and what did it have to do with renovating. I would have not wanted any of the pieces in my place.

Brendan announces “Tomorrow is judgement day for their bathrooms”. Checking the TV guide, The Renovators is not even on tomorrow having been bumped by Junior Masterchef and the 7pm Project. Have Channel 10 totally lost it as they attempt to alienate the last of their faithful viewers by chopping and changing viewing times.

The auctions are:
The Weatherboard Tue 6:30pm
The Shop Tue 8:00pm
The Inner City Terrace Wed 6:30pm
The Half Done House Wed 8:00pm
Sixties Suburban Thu 6:30pm
Fibro Cottage Thu 8:00pm

They have not even started the challenges to get down to a single keyholder in each house. How are they going to maintain the suspense when the auction results will already be public knowledge and therefore we will know which house will have the the winning keyholder. It will make the other five challenges totally meaningless.

Am I alone in thinking this whole debacle is now beyond salvation. Very disappointing as I thought the initial concept seemed great but seeing little actual house renovation with the silly challenges plus the idea that styling is renovation and the crazy scheduling have lost it for me.

7 Daze { 09.26.11 at 10:09 am }

There doesnt seem to be much of Christie at The Shop – interior is all August’s painting and sketches – (realestate .com. au view) hence seems she’ll be soon gone……….. Glad Natalia has moved to Castle Hill her touch has given the house warmth – Id say in most cases the key holders will retain the keys. August has about as much personality as Natalia’s branches she’s bought in to decorate the 60’s house – glad she moved over to work with Nathan – much nicer bloke altho Im sure he still missed Tina heaps. LOVED their Coco Chanel room and so glad they won

8 Renocrazy { 09.26.11 at 10:26 am }

Do not like August or Christie, though I do think August is straightforward mean whereas Christie is one of those back stabbers we all avoid through our lives.
Natalia… well, it must be a grey team syndrome because she sure has a healthy dose of back stabber.
Loved Christie’s words ‘why is he doing this (woodwork), we’re not builders, we’re designers’ it basically says all that is wrong with this show. Despite it’s name it has never been about renovating, only about design and style. Such a disappointment, as the true renovators on the show must already feel.
Imagine auditioning for it, being accepted, and then finding out it was about something totally left of field. I bet they were constantly told ‘it gets better’, but it never did. They should be able to sue for the waste of their time and loss of income.

9 JJ { 09.26.11 at 10:47 am }

Was browsing through the properties on Realestate.com.au this morning and noticed one of the bathrooms described as “setting the tone with a luxurious, prize-winning main bathroom” — would this be a fair indication that this particular house wins tonights prize?

10 Daze { 09.26.11 at 10:49 am }

Would agree JJ and am thinking it may be Peter’s – its very elegant

11 Fides { 09.26.11 at 1:05 pm }

Christie was really irritating last night, from her bum crack to her ironic use of the word awesome, to complaining about how unfair everything was… did she whinge about the time advantage as well b/c she wanted to win on her own merits? Think August has got her worked out perfectly and knows how to push all her buttons.

With all the rain dumped on Sydney over the weekend, I wonder how Half Done house’s damp issues held up.If potential buyers saw Friday’s show with the wet wall, and reminders of damp problems they might want to reconsider…

I wonder if any of the teams will make a deals between teammates re elimination challenge – eg if Jarrad puts in a half-arsed effort in the elimination challenge thereby being dumped, the deal is if Michael wins the lot, he’ll split the winnings with Jarrad. They should all draw up contracts saying such and make a mockery of the whole process.

12 Kate { 09.26.11 at 1:12 pm }

Absolutely agree with Renocrazy, Where are these alleged Renovations??
Also has anyone noticed that the St Peters listing main photo has been changed on realestate.com to a picture of the backyard…. Is the agent trying to say that the backyard is the biggest selling point of that house, not the glaring (read sterile) interior as designed by Peter.

13 Culinary Boner { 09.26.11 at 1:33 pm }

robbo, renocrazy and others here are 100% right about the lack of any substantial or interesting renovation in this show. I did not even bother watching once I saw this was just another lame arsed challenge involving the destruction of perfectly good – if way overpriced – Freedom furniture and accessories.
Art my arse. You call that art?
This is art:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdq_7Cu7y48

14 smauge { 09.26.11 at 1:35 pm }

That. Is. Gold.

15 Maryann { 09.26.11 at 2:13 pm }

I thought the art challenge was a bit of fun. With the white room it was interesting to obsereve the changing dynamics of the grey and khaki teams. August still feels very threatened by Natalia even though she is on another team otherwise there was no need to go on and on about how great it was to be a team of 2.

16 Renocrazy { 09.26.11 at 3:09 pm }

August, Christie and Natalia seem to feel threatened by each other when all they truly after worry about is the way they are sabotaging themselves. I hope to G Natalia doesn’t eliminate Nathan. He has talent and class, and is not a whinger. He deserves to be the key holder. Hey, talking about Natalia, is she going to be fined by council for lopping trees without permission… it is illegal in NSW, or charged with stealing from private yards?

17 Renocrazy { 09.26.11 at 6:35 pm }

Did anyone notice the men’s only slippers under the bed in the half done house?

18 jamison { 09.26.11 at 6:53 pm }

Mens slippers under the bed. WTF. How stupid. The house looks cold and uninviting as it is and all those damp issues, how could the idiot paint the walls without having even bothered to fix the damp issues. I viewed it and the shop on saturday and they are both cold places and St Peters had crumbling plaster you could push your finger through.

19 Renocrazy { 09.26.11 at 7:17 pm }

Not surprised, the episode showing the leaking down-pipe pretty well said it all. Peter is a cosmetic designer, no way is he a renovator.
Seriously, how could 60+ episodes of a show be based solely on choosing in the very first week who was in charge of each house? Absolute stupidity.
The finals are just as unfair, instead of couples facing off against each other all twelve should have to face off in a RENO (not styling) challenge and the six winners get the houses. That would pretty much ensure Mike and Nathan were in and the rest… well two of the girls can seriously handle tools so providing it wasn’t a challenge based on strength would be equal with Jarrad, Luke and Keenan.
Then again its pretty clear the winners are picked by the judges not by real challenge results.
Fake, fake, and more fake.
If I was Nathan and got kicked out by Natalia I would be furious beyond belief.

20 Reality Raver { 09.26.11 at 8:27 pm }

Renocrazy – I twill be interesting to see how they keep the auction prices quiet. They must have thought of this. I had always thought the auctions were going to be live. Now I don’t know where I got that from.

Also I suppose the producers do want to put the worthy ones through.

21 GHarris { 09.26.11 at 10:35 pm }

Are the houses sold with the furniture? Because they are advertised as fully furnished and in the half done house it definitely said that the furniture was included.. So does anyone know if they are all sold with the furniture??

22 Renocrazy { 09.26.11 at 11:11 pm }

Hi Reality Raver, I also have no idea how they will keep the winner secret, with so few episodes left couldn’t they have waited another week or two? Sadly the worthy don’t always win, especially when a show starts with such an unfair advantage. Although I do not know Nathan I am disgusted they let him struggle alone for so long before partnering him, at the last moment, with Natalia. It was unfair and heartless. It might be a game but contestants miss out on family and income, which is acceptable if the playing field is even but not when it is so completely the opposite. Love your comments…my apologies if I get a bit heated.

23 AngelSN86 { 09.27.11 at 8:52 am }

I’m not loving the idea that the teams of 2 now have to face-off to determine who gets the keys. First of all because it means that someone who has worked their butt off the whole time could lose the keys and its also annoying becuase some teams have 2 really worthy people and other teams have none. I’d prefer it to be like Renocrazy’s suggestion and have all 12 go up against each other and then the best 6 get the keys. That way Jarrod would have a chance at ending up with a key.

But going with the head-to-head idea, I’d like to see Luke, Keenan, Nathan and Michael keep their keys. Don’t really care about Orange team, I would actually pick Sam but thats probably not very fair. As for the grey team, I’d prefer the entire team to self-destruct and disappear completely, lol. But I guess Christie, but thats just picking the lesser of 2 evils. August has been pissing me off for weeks though so I don’t want him to have the keys. If I had my way, I’d get rid of the entire Orange and Grey teams, and give their keys to Jarrod and someone else, Jason or Mel I guess.

Any ideas what the head-to-head challenges will be? And will they be the same for each team, ie panic room, white room, putting the objects in order etc. Because the type of challenge could actually determine the winner in some teams, as in if its a more design-based challenge or a tradie/reno based challenge.

24 smauge { 09.27.11 at 8:56 am }

Why is everyone shocked about the head to head comp to get the keys? Did you not all realise that there was only going to be one key holder per house by the end? It’s not Better Homes and Gardens! It’s a bloody competition!

25 Renocrazy { 09.27.11 at 9:55 am }

When I started watching this show I (stupidly) assumed we would find out the ‘key holders at the end of the comp not the beginning. That the renovators would be on an equal footing and compete against each other, not in teams picked on week one and that the teams would be of equal number, with contestants moved between team when required. Otherwise it is not a competition, it is a shoe-in. There was never an expectation or excuse for expecting two so called teams to have one only member, and then for one of them to continue alone. I watch competitions because I enjoy them. I didn’t enjoy this because it was so unbalanced, no more than I’d enjoy a footie game where one team had only two players.

26 smauge { 09.27.11 at 10:01 am }

I seriously don’t know why everyone is up in arms about this! I bet Jo must think being a key holder was a real advantage, seeing the she was the first contestant to get punted! How is it a shoe-in to be a key holder??

27 Renocrazy { 09.27.11 at 5:20 pm }

Seriously, would you pick a head renovator on the basis of being able to saw a piece of wood, paint a door or hit a nail? Come on, it takes a bit more than that to renovate property. But then again on this show they didn’t renovate, they paid people to do it for them.

I said it was a shoe-in for the key holder and larger teams. Because the key holder always get to choose the style and internal structure of both the house and the white rooms, this prevents the other members of the team from developing their ideas. And because a team of one cannot possibly spend time on styling when they’re racing to do everything alone.

If the house changes hands, as the shop did, it is rarely possible (due to getting plans approved) to change the set design, as the grey team discovered. Changing styling half way through a renovation usually ends up with a mish-mash that fails to promote either concept. In relationships couples/families usually talk through ideas and share concepts first, then with the architect/builder/interior decorator, in this show it was clear from week one most of the key holders were power hungry and did not believe in sharing.

As for Jo, how come there was a team challenge for the keys when she left but when Fiona left she was allowed to hand them to August? Another display of rules changed to suit the producers!

Smauge, this is only my opinion, which I like to air (as you must have noticed).

It will be interesting to see who bids on the houses (the recycling auction was pushed higher by CBA persons (I recognised one from past business meetings) and one friend of a contestant (no names mentioned). This was fine and acceptable as the auction was for charity, but I hope it stops there.

28 Melly { 09.27.11 at 6:28 pm }

I have no problem with the teams going head to head, because if you did do the whole “the 6 best get the keys” idea then people wouldn’t be happy with the houses they end up with. I mean imagine if you did that and Michael ended up with the shop? How would that be fair considering he worked on the Fibro Cottage for all that time?

I don’t think there was ever going to be a fair way to do this towards the end and to be honest the solution kind of feels like they have pulled it out of their arse than actually sit there and think about it properly.

Actually the whole show kinda feels like they have just pulled it out of their arse as they have gone along, which is disappointing because it has real potential and I have really enjoyed it apart from those problems they have had with the teams and the unbalanced nature of the show.

29 smauge { 09.28.11 at 7:14 am }

Jo lost her keys because she was eliminated in a challenge. Fiona had to leave on medical grounds as opposed to losing a challenge so she got to pass on her keys.

30 Moonstruck { 09.28.11 at 7:35 am }

They needed key holders because there had to be someone to lead the teams and take responsibility. All teams need a team leader. As it is a competition everyone would want to be leader and get their own way. Not everyone would have had a team that could reach agreement on various matters.
As for peter’s bathroom that was the most impractical as has already been pointed out previously. It looks like you need to step into the tub to open or close those doors.

31 Vronie { 09.29.11 at 1:56 am }

smauge’s correct. Plus if they didn’t know it was coming, short term changes like that could stuff their programme scheduling. But I also don’t mind the inconsistencies, as it livens the mix a bit. And I’m not sure that there is a specific skillsset that makes a better renovator, so varying challenges levels the playing field some. (That said, I do really wonder about some of the folks left in the game, and think some far more qualified people have been eliminated.) But I think a good project manager with solid knowledge of construction and a good awareness of his/her target market can easily match a tradie. It isn’t an accurate assessment of a budget to *not* factor in a wage for you own hours or labour, which shifts some of the advantage out of tradesman hands.

But that art challenge? What rubbish! Alright, I chuckled when Jason set his on fire. Actually, he’s been good for a few chuckles lately…

32 smauge { 09.29.11 at 8:31 am }

Re. who is better qualified – I’ve found that the tradies seem to have developed their designing skills more that The designers have developed their tradie skills. I thik everyone worried about the navy blue boys chances after Ali bailed, due to the fact they didn’t really have any exprerience designing but they have come a long way. I think Jarrod has used his Real Estate knowledge about what makes a house desirable to succeed in the design challenges.

33 HR { 09.30.11 at 7:27 pm }

Ok, I got that the rabbit head was supposed to be a rabbit popping out of its burrow in a cutsey way…but seriously, with that table surface being so thin, there is no way that message came across…maybe if they had used a table with more depth & half of a stuffed rabbit, it could have worked…you could see from all the contestants expressions, that it just looked creepy in a lets-have-a-rabbit-head -for-dinner kinda way!

34 Fides { 09.30.11 at 8:04 pm }

lol HR, you did better than me! I thought it was some disturbing animal sacrifice.

35 smauge { 10.01.11 at 9:00 am }

LOL So did I Fides! I thought it was some disturbing Mad Hatters Tea Party statement or something!