The Renovators – A Hipster Wedding

“I can see a couple walking down the hallway and one is hot and the other is not…” said Jarrod, well that is what I thought he should have said.

The couple were getting married and The Renovators were having to design their wedding reception. The concept was either an indoor forest or an industrial look. But the subtle message was the couple were a pair of hipsters so the teams needed to factor that into it.

The reward for the winning team  was each member would get $2000 to go towards the house.

Melissa said the Parramatta weatherboard had a sewage issue so that might explain where their money went.

Melissa was leading the black team which consisted of the green, navy blue and grey team. She was going for the flowers, the guys were doing the furniture, and August was going to do a mural.

Natalia was leading the gold team which consisted of the orange, khaki and light blue teams.

Melissa spent two hours at the florist as she was going to work with the florist on the flowers, whilst Jason J just  grabbed the stuff and ran. In the end Melissa had the better strategy.

I love how August had Michael working on his mural for a while, however it was pretty good for a piece knocked out in two hours.

Jason J said the hero of the room was going to be his light or him building the light. Lucky for him the bride liked it but clearly not enough.

It was getting tense towards the end on the black team. Melissa said “I cannot handle this camera in my face today”

In the end the couple preferred the industrial look as it was a space they could visualise themselves in. The forest team stuffed up with having a separate bride and groom table looking down on the rest of the space. The couple wanted to be amongst it all and I don’t blame them they had been together for ten years so really didn’t need to be eating up there alone.

As well as winning cash, the black team had to decide which team next had to go head to head in an elimination challenge. They chose the half done house, and Peter was not phased he would be happy to be rid of Sam. Again the challenge is not an individual one but one involving the whole team.

1 Marepoppin { 09.29.11 at 11:42 pm }

I just had to google hipster cos although I’ve run across the term a fair bit this week I didn’t know what it meant. Now I do. Hipsters are a bit lame…. Glad black team won, I reckoned the space was cosier and seemed almost neater in a way. The only good thing bout gold space was the lighting fixture.
So how exactly does a build a piece of furniture challenge equal a finish an entire room challenge, all with a whole lot of help?? They should be designing and laying tiles or something individually

2 Renocrazy { 09.29.11 at 11:49 pm }

Hey, let’s do a forest theme, after all we are in a warehouse full of machines, steel, and concrete, with no sky, sun, earth or fresh air. Did Natalia and Peter actually look at their surroundings before making that weird choice? I can sort of understand Peter making this choice, after all he did attempt to create a New York apartment inside a red brick house in Marrickville, but Natalia…

Otherwise I thought it was an OK but boring challenge that gave them the chance to be creative, though I think both teams failed to deliver anything memorable.

I really don’t like the way Melissa and Michael grabbed everything just to sabotage the other team. It reminded me of Mel and Christie at the pool challenge, something I’d forgotten. And in this case we were talking about someones wedding so, take back my remark about her being nice. She ain’t..

Lastly, why in Hades were the bride and some of her guests wearing dead animals draped over their shoulders? That made me and (by their expressions) some of the contestants feel sick. Yuk!

Hope you have a good nights sleep RR.

3 Buzz { 09.30.11 at 12:09 am }

Fortunately I missed tonights ep – thanks for the recap RR.
It’s both interesting and a little disappointing to see how this show has repeated the mistakes made in MC … it’s time to shape up as audiences are likely to be less forgiving over time. I’m referring mostly to perceived unfairness in challenges and judging, and poorly edited ads with spoilers.
If these perceptions aren’t correct then there’s a problem with the production itself – because that’s what people are seeing!
Thanks for the entertainment this season RR and commenters :)

4 Eliza { 09.30.11 at 12:47 am }

Renocrazy, each team had to pick from either a forest theme or industrial theme as directed by the couple – these were their choices, not the contestants, they just had to pick which one they wanted to do. The bride liked the idea of bringing the outside in, hence the idea for an indoor forest.

The fur was a bit OTT…

This show has been quite all over the place, none the less I have still found myself watching every episode! I think it could really catch on if they neaten it up a fair bit, and yes, work on making the challenges MUCH more consistent. The imbalance of fairness on many occasions has made the show really feel as though no one had any clear direction on where they were trying to take the show. Also, they need to show much more of the contestants actually renovating the houses.. especially considering the show is called the renovators. It feels as though the time line of the show is a bit off as well.. currently (on the show) the houses appear less than half finished, yet next week I believe is the final week of the show. Shouldn’t they at least be almost finished by now? To me, this shows how little the actual renovating of the houses means to the show.

Anyway, hopefully I can track down the auction results of the last 4 auctions. I am too impatient to wait and will still end up watching anyway. Hopefully buyers in Castle Hill weren’t deterred by the shooting today :S Go (hopefully) Nathan or (hopefully) Michael at the fibro!!

5 Vronie { 09.30.11 at 1:29 am }

I loved Jason’s light. Loved it. Kept an eye out for it after seeing it in the previews. So good on him! Think I still would have chosen the “industrial” room though, because the layout made more sense to me, too. The couple’s table was so far off to the side, and the other tables so far apart in the “forest” room. And I thought the non-table seating solutions were better in the “industrial” room as well. But then I also hate those standing bistro tables for longer term use, so I’m biased.

I kind of like that they don’t seem to be choosing teams that really need the manpower to even finish to go up for elimination first. And the poor sky blue team had to wait so long before they could even start the renovations. But I’m not sure how much time they actually get to spend working on the houses, given all these “all-hands-on” challenges. Anyone have any idea if these are sort of real time? A challenge one day after the next? It also seems like a nice touch to at least make a working bee out of the challenge for the house losing a team member.

6 Vronie { 09.30.11 at 1:36 am }

And why (why???), if they insist on bringing so much design into this instead of renovations (because Eliza is right: those have been sidelined) did we waste so much time on the setting up and then not get to hear what the judges really thought about the room? Where was the differentiated judging by professionals?

7 Maryann { 09.30.11 at 7:53 am }

I preferred the forest as I thought the industrial design was too dark for a wedding . I am glad they picked orange for the next elimination as they don’t need 2 to complete the house. I think Sam is gone and she knows it. Lookiing forward to the double episode tonight.

8 Pamie { 09.30.11 at 9:15 am }

Funny, I found myself kinda liking Mel and August last night as I thought they worked hard and did a really good job.

I didn’t think I would like the industrial look but given the venue, I think it fitted the site and looked way more intimate than the forest which had too much space between the tables.

BTW, I think the “shed” as some have referred to it on FB is the old Eveleigh carriageworks near Redfern. This is a wonderful, beautifully restored industrial site where many a chippy served his apprenticeship building timber railway carriages.

9 Pamie { 09.30.11 at 9:25 am }

I think the fur was vintage, it certainly looked it. I’m assured by a fashionista friend that in the weird world of fashion, vintage is somehow OK!

10 JStar { 09.30.11 at 9:30 am }

I think everyone here and in previous postings have picked up on the inconsistencies of judging and the lack of TV time of the house renovations. I think Channel Ten realised this after feedback as the last few weeks, they have started their shows with showing the work done on the homes before heading off to the warehouse. The drama has definitely been highlighted in the last few weeks and to me, this is reflected in the better ratings and the level of passion in the commentary on the posts. As RR has previously said, just a few tweaks here and there to get a better balance if this show is green lighted for next year.

I thought the forest design was nicer but the industrial team met the couple’s brief and that is what it boiled down to. Keenan and Melissa didn’t look too happy when they chose Peter and Sam to go ahead in the next challenge. They just don’t strike me as strategic people, which is fair enough. They clearly are friends with the Orange team members. Everyone left would have known out of the five remaining houses, the Orange team could cope with a one-person team (it was the first home to reach the lock-up stage). According to the TV Guides, the next houses to go head-to-head are the Inner City, Weatherboard, 60s Suburban and Fibro Cottage (in a double-header). For Eliza, if we use the MasterChef timeline stick: a 3 month show on TV is probably 9 months of filming. So “next week” in TV time (before the other teams go head-to-head) is probably a good 2.5 to 3 weeks down the track in real time. Plenty of time for those four struggling teams to get as much work in.

Tonight’s preview shows Peter working on a room indoors whilst Sam is working outside. Once again, probably an unfair advantage given to the key holder to have the right to choose his space PLUS his team members. I can’t see Sam winning as I always thought her strengths were matching tones and textures in rooms. It would be difficult for her to win if she had to do an outside space.

11 Fides { 09.30.11 at 9:41 am }

I thought it interesting that the hipster couple said they’d been engaged for 6 years but were waiting for the opportunity/right opportunity to get married … my first thoughts were : opportunity for what? To have a reality TV wedding? Pity for them that Masterchef has already done a wedding episode.

And Natalia bugged me with her stated floristry expertise criticising Mel for the way she did her arrangements. Smug, much? Or perhaps bitter, considering she’d have known the result when she made the comment.

I know others have commented on August’s accent – I find it’s not so much an accent but just a weird slurring of words. At one point when Peter Ho was talking to him, he was almost incomprehensible. Maybe that’s when he’s in his most creative/artistic zone…

But as far as the challenge goes, I did like the black team’s area much better. I thought the indoor garden looked almost too conventional and not cool enough for them.

12 Renocrazy { 09.30.11 at 9:47 am }

The orange team was a very silly choice for the black team, if they want to win the finals as either member of the orange team will have no problem finishing the house.

Who’ll win the challenge?

Basically this is the same as making one team work with glass and one with wood. Outside spaces are difficult as to buy mature (impact) plants cost an absolute fortune, for a garden that size at least $20,000, and I doubt they’d be given enough.

Sam will have to use immature or cheaper plants making it very difficult to have the same impact. And if they use the same garden supplier as in the garden challenge there will only be natives to choose from. Also in the garden we’ll be looking at what will be in a few years as opposed to Peter’s indoor room. This ( see prev episodes) is already painted and tiled, should easily be completed for under $5000 and not need imagination to see the end result.

So yes, I do agree, unless her budget is huge Sam doesn’t have a fighting chance… but then we know by now the key holder always has the (unfair) advantage.

13 Fides { 09.30.11 at 9:58 am }

Renocrazy – agree, if they wanted to be strategic, they should have picked Sky Blues. Or August could have tried to get back at Natalia, esp with Nathan saying how much work still needed to be done.

The judgements are just too subjective (though I don’t want it to be based on a “race’ style thing either). I do wonder how it will go for my Navy Blue boys – Robyn seems to have a thing for Jarrad in particular.

14 Izobel2 { 09.30.11 at 10:41 am }

I think I’ll be sad when it’s all over as I’ll miss most of these guys! Esp Michael, Jarrad & Jason J! It’ll be a sad day when the Navy boys have to compete against each other!

15 Melly { 09.30.11 at 10:46 am }

Forest team were on the back foot as soon as they chose the forest theme. How on earth could you make an indoor forest in an industrial warehouse? And yes I know that’s supposedly what the couple wanted – Although I have my doubts on that and think the producers may have had something to do with it. Call me cynical!

I think even if the gold team moved the tables closer together and didn’t have the stage they still wouldn’t have won, the space was too unworkable for that theme in my opinion.

What they need to do is stop with the 2 different themes and tell the teams “Look you both get Industrial and whoever does it best wins” that way it’s more equal. As it’s been mentioned before that garden challenge earlier in the season was one of the most ridiculous and unfair challenges on this show.

16 Izobel2 { 09.30.11 at 11:01 am }

I was a bit cynical too Melly, like I’m sure my husband when we were getting married would think “oh my, I’d always had my heart set on an Industrial Themed Wedding!!”

17 seepi { 09.30.11 at 12:26 pm }

i liked the garden space though – but for the couple it was unworkable, with the tables so far apart.

Bit like Peter’s bathroom really – attractive, but not so functional. I’m not worried about a bit of vintage fur either.

18 Renocrazy { 09.30.11 at 2:04 pm }

I’d love to know how they find or pick couples likes last nights wedding stars, the BBQ family or the Qld family (out of the hundreds affected). Do these people just rock up at Shine productions and ask to be on the show, are they recommended by family/friends, or are they known to people associated with the show. Just asking, no particular reason. Oh, did you hear what St. Peters house went for? Surely somebody out there attended the auction and can whisper the word. (I promise not to tell).

19 Renocrazy { 09.30.11 at 2:12 pm }

OMG how I will miss this show and opinions thereof, has any show been critiqued as much as this one? Or been as flawed. I really, really hope it returns if only to read all your interesting and varied comments.

20 Maryann { 09.30.11 at 2:33 pm }

Yeah Renocrazy I will also miss it. I am not a fan of Junior Masterchef. I hope the that the return of the show is not dependant on how the auctions go. With a few adjustments iy could capture a good share of the viewing audience. I think the big problem with this show and Masterchef is that it is made too far in advance so they cannot easily and quickly respond to viewer feedback.

21 seepi { 09.30.11 at 3:37 pm }

A big problem for these shows is the poor property market.

Much as I hate units, I think next tiem they could all decorate units, and then see in which order they were sold.

22 Dutch Courage { 09.30.11 at 4:05 pm }

Wondering when the promos for Junior Renovator will start…

Melissa didn’t like the camera in her face…fair enough.
I don’t like watching Melissa. It looks like she got an unpleasant personality with a lot of whinging (and the tone of her voice irritates me). It was fun how she told off Michael though…

23 Kate { 09.30.11 at 4:06 pm }

I actually really enjoyed August telling Michael he doesn’t want him to ask any more questions and Jason trying to work out if he is the hero or if his light is.
Darn it, and the show is winding down.

Woo Hoo, tonights challenge looks quite unfair…. Do they plan on topping the unfairness in each new challenge to determine the keyholder?

24 Kate { 09.30.11 at 4:08 pm }

Dutch Courage I agree with your Melissa comments, she sounds like a bogan.

Also Peter annoys me how he cant pronounce th , I can recommend a good speech ferapist for him.

Renocrazy I Agree! I can’t believe they picked the Forst Theme…. Of course it all seemed like a setup by C10.

25 Minnie Amber { 09.30.11 at 4:18 pm }

Just like the couple, one reception area was hot and the other was not. But they are alternative and thats y they chose the one that was not altho i guess they do hav a bit of a point when they say the tables were closer in industrial room bit seriously i would have still gone with forest hands down. And Jason is seriously a great light designer even though it was natalia’s idea his arrangement of it was beautiful and i really like the ‘birdcage’ light he did a few weeks back . Tommorrows head to head challenge is practically a working bee for the half done house. lucky peter (coz i highly doubt sam can outdo him)

26 Dutch Courage { 09.30.11 at 4:28 pm }

Kate, almost forgot about that. Michael told off by Melissa and August in the same episode! It’s not easy to be a nice guy….

27 Renocrazy { 09.30.11 at 5:55 pm }

Kate, I’d forgotten too!
Jason is great at shining a light on himself. Sorry Minnie, for all the time he put into it the finished product looked pretty much the same as when Natalia put it together and showed him what to do. As for the birdcage light…. designed originally by Cathy, usurped by Jason.

28 Minnie Amber { 09.30.11 at 9:13 pm }

Renocrazy theory and application are two separate things they dont necessarily go together well at all. Its really all in the application and i know he tends to hog glory but credit is given where its due and Jason can certainly make a light. As for your comment bout it looking the same as the way Natalia initially showed him, attention to detail is definitely not you strength. its all in the detail trust me

29 Renocrazy { 09.30.11 at 9:56 pm }

Wow Minnie, I guess you’re really proud of him tonight as well. Theory and application are definitely two different things to Jason.

30 Minnie Amber { 09.30.11 at 11:32 pm }

all i meant was that in the 2 light challenges he managed to pull in his weight at have some real input and yet using the worst application of sarcasm u managed to make me sound like his mother or something. his wallpapering challenge was terrible and his hanging garden challenge was jst awful. happy now!

31 Vronie { 10.01.11 at 1:25 am }

I think it’s interesting that so many of you seem to think “industrial” was a safer bet than the “natural/forest” theme, because I was *sure* that picking “industrial” was a surefire losing move. Heh. I couldn’t picture them making a nice room out of it, despite it maybe fitting the venue better. But there was something kind of old-fashioned about the “forest” table settings, too, beyond the whole layout issue, which the couple specifically said they didn’t like. And for all Natalia’s experience with floral arranging, I thought the table arrangements seemed too high to appreciate while seated. But that could just be a trick of the camera. I missed Peter Ho sitting down to take a look and commenting.

But come to think of it, I also thought “glass” was a far easier choice than “wood” in the shop challenge, as there was far less work that the team had to do. They basically just designed it, and ordered it up, whereas the wood team was working flat out the whole time. Guess it’s a good thing I’m not competing; I seem to choose wrong each time…

And thanks, JStar, for the info on how filming is likely done. I think you’re right, I just wish they’d reflect that more in what’s shown on screen.